Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: LT = MVP

Most anti climactic MVP award ever?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

And apparently 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And apparently 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

Didn't our boy Manning throw for as many TD's as LT ran/caught for this season? I know LT threw for 2 also, so he was involved in 33 and Manning only threw for 31....of course he also rushed for 4, so that puts him at 35.

Didn't Manning break or set a couple different NFL records this season?

Why on earth did LT win this award and not Manning, let alone in a landslide? I guess since it is the most VALUABLE player award, maybe the rationale was that LT meant more to the Chargers than PM meant to the Colts, but I can't see that being much of a reality. Hard to have a very good season if Jim Sorgi (or anyone else for that matter, no offense intended, Jim) was the Colts QB.

Manning led the league in TD's thrown and QB rating. He was second in the league in yards passing by 21 yards, but threw 5 more TD's and 2 less INT's than Brees with 3 more pass attempts. His two top receivers finished 2-3 in the league in yards also, and all that with a rookie and a journeyman sharing the running duties and having one of the worst defenses in the league.....

Just because he has already won the award twice doesn't mean he didn't deserve the award again.

Sorry LT, PEYTON MANNING IS MY MVP. He's only made the Pro Bowl every year of his career except when he was a rookie....Call me crazy....

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

I don't have a problem with LT winning, but I don't think he should have. It's not an award that goes to the best player, or MJ would have won it every year. It's about who means the most to their respected team, and to me that's Drew Brees.

The Saints wouldn't be anywhere without him, even if they still had Reggie. He was a lift not to just some random team, but for a team that had the weight of a whole city on it's backs, and he gave them a season to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    Didn't our boy Manning throw for as many TD's as LT ran/caught for this season? I know LT threw for 2 also, so he was involved in 33 and Manning only threw for 31....of course he also rushed for 4, so that puts him at 35.

Didn't Manning break or set a couple different NFL records this season?

Why on earth did LT win this award and not Manning, let alone in a landslide? I guess since it is the most VALUABLE player award, maybe the rationale was that LT meant more to the Chargers than PM meant to the Colts, but I can't see that being much of a reality. Hard to have a very good season if Jim Sorgi (or anyone else for that matter, no offense intended, Jim) was the Colts QB.

Manning led the league in TD's thrown and QB rating. He was second in the league in yards passing by 21 yards, but threw 5 more TD's and 2 less INT's than Brees with 3 more pass attempts. His two top receivers finished 2-3 in the league in yards also, and all that with a rookie and a journeyman sharing the running duties and having one of the worst defenses in the league.....

Just because he has already won the award twice doesn't mean he didn't deserve the award again.

Sorry LT, PEYTON MANNING IS MY MVP. He's only made the Pro Bowl every year of his career except when he was a rookie....Call me crazy....
    LT broke records this season too. Mosts TDs in a year, didn't just break it, but shattered it IMO. LT was the most dominant player in the league this year. Peyton's year while very good, was really nothing more than just another year for him.

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    LT broke records this season too. Mosts TDs in a year, didn't just break it, but shattered it IMO. LT was the most dominant player in the league this year. Peyton's year while very good, was really nothing more than just another year for him.
    I knew and understand that LT broke the touchdowns record, but it was a record that Shaun Alexander set LAST SEASON. Don't think he shattered it either. The award isn't for the most dominant player, it is for being the most VALUABLE player. Just because a year that Manning throws for over 4,000 yards and 31 TD's, runs for 4 more TD's and has a 102 passer rating is "just another year" for him means nothing. It is still an MVP year.

I can at least relate to Since86's opinion about Drew Brees. When you talk about VALUE to a team, he makes a good point about where the Saints would be without him. San Diego would still be a damn good team without LT, and they could've had a couple different backs tandem to get the same or at least close to what LT gained. To me, that is a wash. Kinda like letting Edge go and then having Rhodes/Addai cover the void.

I like LT. Don't get me wrong at all. He is close to the most dominant back I've ever seen play. He just isn't an MVP. Especially not this season, records broken or not. Brees meant more to the Saints and Manning meant more to the Colts.

I think that giving the award to someone else because they didn't want to give it to Manning again for a 'ho-hum' ProBowl season, and they didn't want to give it to Brees for the deserving reasons that Since86 listed, it loses meaning for the award. If I was Manning or Brees, I would want to win the award less for how it is being dished out.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This year, the Steelers held him to 70 total yards, including 19 on one pass play.

Last year, the Steelers held him to 130 total yards, including 41 on one pass play.

He's obviously very, very, very good against the other 30 teams, but he hasn't looked like an MVP candidate when I've seen him.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

LT= maybe Most Outstanding Player 2006
    Manning = Defintely Most Valuable Player 2006

Polian through out a stat this morning on Mike and Mike.

The Colts this year average 3 less posessions per game then the League Average. And yet Manning was still able to put up the numbers he did.

I think there is a bias at times against Manning, like heywoode said, in not wanting to give Manning the MVP award again.

Why Not Us ?

I knew and understand that LT broke the touchdowns record, but it was a record that Shaun Alexander set LAST SEASON. Don't think he shattered it either. The award isn't for the most dominant player, it is for being the most VALUABLE player. Just because a year that Manning throws for over 4,000 yards and 31 TD's, runs for 4 more TD's and has a 102 passer rating is "just another year" for him means nothing. It is still an MVP year.

I can at least relate to Since86's opinion about Drew Brees. When you talk about VALUE to a team, he makes a good point about where the Saints would be without him. San Diego would still be a damn good team without LT, and they could've had a couple different backs tandem to get the same or at least close to what LT gained. To me, that is a wash. Kinda like letting Edge go and then having Rhodes/Addai cover the void.

I like LT. Don't get me wrong at all. He is close to the most dominant back I've ever seen play. He just isn't an MVP. Especially not this season, records broken or not. Brees meant more to the Saints and Manning meant more to the Colts.

I think that giving the award to someone else because they didn't want to give it to Manning again for a 'ho-hum' ProBowl season, and they didn't want to give it to Brees for the deserving reasons that Since86 listed, it loses meaning for the award. If I was Manning or Brees, I would want to win the award less for how it is being dished out.
    I don't know how we can say that the Chargers would still be a very good team without LT as they were with LT. To me the Chargers remind me of the Colts team that lost Edge and preceded to go 6-10 that year. The only difference is that the Chargers have a better D, but quite honestly I don't see how you can say oh without LT this is still a pretty good team. Sure Turner and Co. could maybe replace production similar to how Rhode and Addai have, but there is no way they would have defenses game planning to stop them, just like we no longer have defenses thinking how to stop our running game anymore. The Colts are two games worse without Edge, I would be willing to be that the Chargers are 5 to 6 games worse without LT. I just think LT was a no brainer this year personally. He WAS the Chargers offense. I would bet good money that Rivers wouldn't look nearly as good as he does now if Turner was in the backfield over LT.

I don't know how we can say that the Chargers would still be a very good team without LT as they were with LT. To me the Chargers remind me of the Colts team that lost Edge and preceded to go 6-10 that year. The only difference is that the Chargers have a better D, but quite honestly I don't see how you can say oh without LT this is still a pretty good team. Sure Turner and Co. could maybe replace production similar to how Rhode and Addai have, but there is no way they would have defenses game planning to stop them, just like we no longer have defenses thinking how to stop our running game anymore. The Colts are two games worse without Edge, I would be willing to be that the Chargers are 5 to 6 games worse without LT. I just think LT was a no brainer this year personally. He WAS the Chargers offense. I would bet good money that Rivers wouldn't look nearly as good as he does now if Turner was in the backfield over LT.
    I didn't mean that the Chargers would be the same team without LT, but they would still be a good team capable of beating anyone. If you think people are game planning to stop LT, what do you think they do about Manning?

The Colts are only two games worse without Edge for one reason. Their ability to play defense. They were three close games away from being 15-1. If San Diego's defense was as bad as ours and teams kept LT off the field as much as Manning was off it this season, he wouldn't have broken any records, I can guarantee you that.

The only no-brainer around here are the fools who landslided LT to a popularity contest because they are tired of Manning being the MVP of the league for his career. I'm fine with LT winning best offensive player, but he is most certainly not the most valuable player in the NFL.

Not trying to make you mad or anything else, I just think there is no argument for Manning's performance year in and year out. Until he steps on himself for a season and stops leading the league in several categories, he is the MVP.

People have differing opinions, and I can respect your right to have your own. I just don't agree with it!

I didn't mean that the Chargers would be the same team without LT, but they would still be a good team capable of beating anyone. If you think people are game planning to stop LT, what do you think they do about Manning?

The Colts are only two games worse without Edge for one reason. Their ability to play defense. They were three close games away from being 15-1. If San Diego's defense was as bad as ours and teams kept LT off the field as much as Manning was off it this season, he wouldn't have broken any records, I can guarantee you that.

The only no-brainer around here are the fools who landslided LT to a popularity contest because they are tired of Manning being the MVP of the league for his career. I'm fine with LT winning best offensive player, but he is most certainly not the most valuable player in the NFL.

Not trying to make you mad or anything else, I just think there is no argument for Manning's performance year in and year out. Until he steps on himself for a season and stops leading the league in several categories, he is the MVP.

People have differing opinions, and I can respect your right to have your own. I just don't agree with it!
    Yeah, I feel we may have to agree to disagree on this. To me LT had a heck of a year and deserved the MVP, did Peyton and Drew also have huge years? Hell yeah but that doesn't discount what LT did any less. Really if you ask me I hate the MVP award at all levels. Its dumb to me to be able to say who is really the most valuable player to a team. You take a key player from any team in the league and they will be worse. I would not be opposed at all if sports got rid of the MVP award entirely.

Yeah, I feel we may have to agree to disagree on this. To me LT had a heck of a year and deserved the MVP, did Peyton and Drew also have huge years? Hell yeah but that doesn't discount what LT did any less. Really if you ask me I hate the MVP award at all levels. Its dumb to me to be able to say who is really the most valuable player to a team. You take a key player from any team in the league and they will be worse. I would not be opposed at all if sports got rid of the MVP award entirely.
    Yeah, you make a good point. It would be difficult in some situations to nail down a most valuable player on a particular TEAM, let alone which player in the entire league meant the most to his team, if that is what the award is really for anyway...

I can see that I was a little spirited in stating my feelings for Manning being MVP, and not acknowledging enough that LT had one hell of a year. He certainly did....

I'm not a big fan of the MVP either. Quarterbacks will almost always be in the best position to win an MVP because they are the ones who are the most involved in a game. I think LT kind of deserved the MVP just because he got so many TDs. Whether it was conservative play calling around the red-zone, LTs balance of power and speed, or a great O-Line; it doesn't really matter. He just simply had a phenomenal year. I don't think any other RB in the league could have put up the stats he put up, even in that offensive system.

Let's not kid ourselves, the Chargers would not be anywhere near 14-2 if you took away LT. Michael "Burner" Turner is a fine backup but San Diego's lifeblood is the amazing ability of LT.

To me, the argument in favor of Drew Brees for MVP is almost just as much an argument in favor of LT for MVP. Brees certainly staked his claim to the MVP award with his play in New Orleans. Yet the Chargers were able to let him walk and actually get better with a QB who had no prior regular season experience and who faded badly down the stretch. Yet few people truly notice the falloff by Rivers because well......they didn't miss a beat with LT carrying the rock.

Early in the season when Rivers was getting his feet wet with limited throws, LT carried the load. Late in the season when the young QB started to hit the wall, LT carried the load.

It's no insult to Peyton for LT to win this award.

I already covered the part about people having differing opinions...It still applies.

Follow me no more....... Fireball Kid's Avatar

LaDainian went to my high school in Waco.

True story.
    "Remember the pain of my fist. That is my power!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post
    LT= maybe Most Outstanding Player 2006
    Manning = Defintely Most Valuable Player 2006

Polian through out a stat this morning on Mike and Mike.

The Colts this year average 3 less posessions per game then the League Average. And yet Manning was still able to put up the numbers he did.

I think there is a bias at times against Manning, like heywoode said, in not wanting to give Manning the MVP award again.

Manning should win the MVP every season that the defence is terrible and yet the colts are around 12-4. LT was better this season, but Peyton is more valuable to the Colts than LT is to the Chargers.