Thread: New Baby Bonus

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Default New Baby Bonus

Full Story - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070104/...any_baby_bonus

German government has shaken up its financial assistance to parents in a bid to make it easier for working women to have children.

The new "Elterngeld" — or "parent money" — program allows an adult who stops work after a child is born to continue to claim two-thirds of their net wage, up to a maximum $2,375 per month. Low earners can claim 100 percent compensation for lost wages.

One parent can claim for up to 12 months; if both parents take a turn, they can claim the benefit for a total of 14 months — a tweak designed to encourage more fathers to help.

Germany previously paid a flat $400 a month in benefits to needy parents for up to two years. The change is expected to raise the annual outlay in direct payments for parents with infants by about $1.2 billion per year to $5 billion.
    do you think the US will ever adopt a system like this?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: New Baby Bonus

No, it will never happen. It needs to, but it never will. US employers would lobby this one to death. There's no way they would stand for it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Full Story - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070104/...any_baby_bonus

do you think the US will ever adopt a system like this?
    Is Germany's population really dropping so much that it has to pay people to have kids? Are they allowing people to take the same benifits if they adopt children? I doubt the US will ever do this. Too much money.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Another thing I didn't see mentioned in the article: Does the employer have to guarantee the parent's job upon their return?

If so, this is yet another reason it will never happen in the US. There is no employer that is going to invest the time, effort, and money to train someone else to do your job, only to be forced to give it back to you when you return. As I said, corporate lobbyists would make sure that something like this never gets out of committee.

I'm not sure if it is law, but many companies give employees leaves of absence to care for their children after they or born, or if illness occurs. Of course, you don't get paid for it, but you do have your job waiting for you.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

If I had a hundred bucks for every time I pulled an all-nighter while my co-worker "had to" go do something for thier kids, I'd be a rich man.

The people with children at work already force enough work on the childless people as it is. Now they want me to pay more in taxes to support them?

**** that ****.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Why stop here? Why doesn't the government just send out checks to everyone?

I'm sure we could find a reason if we needed to categorize it, but one way or the other let's just give everyone a check! Free money!

The amazing thing to me is that some of the same people who'd yell the loudest for a balanced budget would also be all for expanding government entitlement programs like this.

How about this idea...instead of looking for new entitlement programs we look to scale back the existing ones?

Actually, goverment should penalize bad behavior and otherwise not look to play Santa Claus.

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Why stop here? Why doesn't the government just send out checks to everyone?

-Bball
    So I assume you were against the Bush tax refunds?
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post

Back on-topic: Yes, the number of births among ethnically born Germans is quite low. They actually had their population decreasing a few years back and the average age is going up. That's not a good thing for any society.

You need to keep enough young and working people to pay taxes, keep up social security, educational and health care systems or pay for fighting wars in Iraq .

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

The best part is, those weren't refunds. They were just allowing you to claim The increased portion of the Child Tax Credit early. This led to a lot of people trying to claim that $400 twice, once when they got the "refund", and once on their taxes.

I'm ready to do away with tax refunds entirely. They should be outlawed. The government should never take more than whatever their 'cut' is. And people should be required to write a check to pay their tax bill, not this silly shell game we have now where people hardly notice what they are 'paying' and then they get all excited when they get their own money back that the government has used over the year, interest free. As if it was a some kind of 'free money' falling from the sky.

I might consider a system that has business withholding money but instead of sending it to the Fed they give you a check each month to send in yourself already made out to the IRS just so the average person SEES what they are paying and sees that government largesse is not 'free'. And 'feels' that check going into the mailbox instead of their wallet or bank account.

OTOH...
    I suppose if the argument can be made that the government took in too much money then they should probably be required to refund it... with interest (as a penalty for overcharging). It really shouldn't roll over in the budget and be looked at as 'free' money for the next year. Government couldn't be expected to act responsibly with this 'extra' money. It's like the 20.00 dollar bill you find on the floor at the bar: You buy your friends a round of beers that you wouldn't have otherwise gotten, not take it home to pay on the phone bill.

And in reality there should be a flat tax... or a consumption tax...

I've heard lots of debate about what to exclude from a consumption tax to make it more fair. Here's an idea: exclude nothing. Make the tax as low as possible and exclude nothing. And make a constitutional amendment to cap the percentage that the government can charge... even tie it to something so that not only is it capped but government couldn't just charge it to the cap.

I'm really a radical...

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    I'm not sure if it is law, but many companies give employees leaves of absence to care for their children after they or born, or if illness occurs. Of course, you don't get paid for it, but you do have your job waiting for you.
    It is law - if I was at work I could look in a file for the name (could do a web search I guess). Something like the Family Leave Protective Act but that isn't exactly it.

I'm not 100% familiar with the specifics of it.

edit: LOL - as soon as I got to the office I remembered it - didn't even have to look in a file. Funny how the brain works.

Family Medical Leave Act - requires employers to provide up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave for a new baby, illness, care of a family member, etc.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Those were tax cuts but tax refunds. I agree with Bball on the tax refund game.

I do agree with your prior post though LA

I agree with B-ball that the government shouldn't force you to pay your taxes by taking it out of your check, but that you should send them a check on April 15th. It is a joke that they don't give you the interest back when they send you a refund on the money that they have been holding, but when you are behind in paying they tack interest onto your amount due. If my wife and I owe any money this year, we will put it into a money market or saving account until April 15th and then cut a check. I'll keep as much intereset to myself as I can, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    It is law - if I was at work I could look in a file for the name (could do a web search I guess). Something like the Family Leave Protective Act but that isn't exactly it.

I'm not 100% familiar with the specifics of it.

edit: LOL - as soon as I got to the office I remembered it - didn't even have to look in a file. Funny how the brain works.

Family Medical Leave Act - requires employers to provide up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave for a new baby, illness, care of a family member, etc.

You know in few years it will be paid leave. I'm just predicting it, there has already been some talk of changing it. First they'll start with large corporations and certain parts of the country but in 15-20 years it will be a given that it will be paid

Bball, I was just ribbing you a little.

I also am not a fan of income taxes in general and automatic deductions especially. I don't have to deal with that any more now that I'm on my own. I tally up what I made vs. what I spend every year and write a single check to the feds. I pay my fair share as determined by the legislature. Surprisingly, that's not very much. As a nation, we don't pay that much in taxes.

If I take a week off of work, I don't get a dime. If I don't keep my clients happy, I don't get future business. If I get hurt or sick, again, I'm crap out of luck AND out of money. And what if I have a kid? Once again, I'm on my own. Either I can pay for diapers and formula or I can't.

My life is not for everyone.

On the other hand, if I finish my work early, I can go to the beach at 2:00 on a Wednesday afternoon in January and I don't have to answer to anyone (except my wife, of course )