Thread: Another school shooting

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Another school shooting

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,241039,00.html

TACOMA, Wash. — One student was shot to death in a high school hallway as classes were starting Wednesday morning, and police arrested another student found wandering in a neighborhood a few miles away, officials said.

The identities of the suspect and the slain student were not immediately released. Police spokesman Mark Fulghum said no one else was hurt in the 7:30 a.m. shooting at Foss High School, and police were still trying to determine what prompted the attack.
    I am really so happy I am not in high school anymore. Craziness

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Another school shooting

I would like to see enrollment numbers for schools that have attacks. I'm not necessarily saying either way, but I just wonder if there is something there.

But then again, like me and you were talking about at the game. Big for Indiana is extremely little for DC.....

My school closed down after my class graduated. It got too crazy, I'm vary happy I'm out of high school and not worried about getting stabbed everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would like to see enrollment numbers for schools that have attacks. I'm not necessarily saying either way, but I just wonder if there is something there.

But then again, like me and you were talking about at the game. Big for Indiana is extremely little for DC.....
    Yeah - that Amish school in Pennsylvania was huge ...
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    Yeah - that Amish school in Pennsylvania was huge ...
    Yeah, and the shooter was a 16y/o student that was pissed because he had to wear suspenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    My school closed down after my class graduated. It got too crazy, I'm vary happy I'm out of high school and not worried about getting stabbed everyday.
    And this post is why I wondered. I NEVER felt unsafe in my school, and I feel like it was because I knew 70% of the people there and that included upperclassmen when I was a fresh and underclassmen when I was a senior.

We don't have to worry about gang violence, and no one is really an "outsider" at a small school because there aren't huge cliques. Sure there are some, but for the most part they're relatively small.

Everyone knew everyone else, and for the most part everyone got along.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Yeah, and the shooter was a 16y/o student that was pissed because he had to wear suspenders.
    English is a wonderful language - learn what the word "attacks" means the next time you use the word "attacks" in one of your posts.

There's been plenty of research done on this and on a per pupil basis yes, there is a relationship for student-on-student violence - smaller schools have a higher rate of serious violent incidents than larger schools. Obviously, as with any social setting, the more total people you have, the greater the chance of something happening within that population. But the risk to any one student of being involved in a violent incident is less in a large school.

You can find the most recent complete school violence report here: http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2007/2007302rev.pdf
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not feeling safe teaching at the high school was the main reason I quit this year. I had a student tell me straight out that if I pissed him off he was not afraid to get revenge, even if he had to wait and get it later. I had other students that just didn't care what was done to them and were not afraid to say it.

This situation is much the same as the Broncos' player killing. When did we reach a point where its ok to gun someone down if they **** you off? I know some will say that these type of things have gone on forever and we just hear more of it now, but I'm not so sure. Society seems to have a shorter fuse and is willing to strike out at smaller and smaller annoyances every day.

I figured context would have came into play, and wouldn't need to pinpoint what type of "attacks" I meant.

I mean this is a story about one student killing another student.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    Not feeling safe teaching at the high school was the main reason I quit this year. I had a student tell me straight out that if I pissed him off he was not afraid to get revenge, even if he had to wait and get it later. I had other students that just didn't care what was done to them and were not afraid to say it.

This situation is much the same as the Broncos' player killing. When did we reach a point where its ok to gun someone down if they **** you off? I know some will say that these type of things have gone on forever and we just hear more of it now, but I'm not so sure. Society seems to have a shorter fuse and is willing to strike out at smaller and smaller annoyances every day.
    I dont blame you for quitting, I would not teach at a highschool, no matter what they paid me.

Mood

I guess in a weird way these stories make me more thankful I'm in elementary education and not high school. Part of me is tempted to switch to at least middle school at some point because of the difference in what I get to teach, but at least I have a minimum amount of concern for violence of this nature.

Still, if I were to receive threats like that, I suppose my reaction would be to talk with the student, the parents/guardians, and the principal in a conference and discuss it rather than let it slide or continue; that's too disturbing otherwise. We're on the same team, but sometimes the students and their parents forget that and need to be reminded (in a peaceful way).

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll be teaching High School this time next year. I am kind of looking forward to it. The opportunity to do some good for society is something that I think outweighs the troubles of teaching at that level.