Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now that the Pistons are up 2-0 on the Nets...

Liquid Slap

Default Now that the Pistons are up 2-0 on the Nets...

I was just wondering how the Pacer fans felt about that. Before I went on a vacation to Florida for a week, everyone was saying Detroit would get swept by the almighty Nets. The Nets lose one in an embarassment and another after leading by 12. Ok, Detroit did it on their home court. They were supposed to win and now they go to NJ. Of course the atmosphere will be different but do you really think the Nets are going to comeback and win the series? I mean I know anything came happen and nothing is is stone(4% of teams have come back to win a series after being down 0-2). The total view and thoughts about the Pistons had to have changed.

Honestly, do you all repsect the Pistons now and feel they will be a challenge in the ECFs? If our teams do meet up in the ECFs, I can be the first to say I don't know who is going to come out the victor. I do know one thing, it's going to be a dogfight every night.

Just wanted to know what everyone thought....

Sports Logo

Default Re: Now that the Pistons are up 2-0 on the Nets...

Clearly they are better than the Nets but no I am still not all that scared of them. You need to remember our D is pretty much the same as yours. Yours is a little better maybe a point or two a game but our offense is sooooo much better than yours that I think that will be the difference. As you will struggle to score at all on the Pacers.

Yes Yes they won the last game but the starting pg was out for the Pacers and he makes a huge difference. For example our scoring is on average 10 points a game higher with him in the game than without him, and the D is better. So untill the Pistons win one in Indy I am not going to sweat it. Reggie is finding his groove and I am confident that Kenny will play the backup role against Detroit.

Remember you will not have home court.

I thought the ones saying NJ was better were kidding themselves, and it looks like I was right. I thought NJ would play better than this, however.

Clearly they are better than the Nets but no I am still not all that scared of them. You need to remember our D is pretty much the same as yours. Yours is a little better maybe a point or two a game but our offense is sooooo much better than yours that I think that will be the difference. As you will struggle to score at all on the Pacers.
    What makes ours soooooo much better? I view both teams having about average offense, with them having better guards, but we have better post players.

No one thought the Nets would sweep the Pistons

I think someone here did say the Nets would sweep.... but certainly not everyone.

The Nets (IMHO) had one thing going for them entering this round and that is their experience and past playoff history. Other than that IMHO Detroit has them. IOW, unless NJ could/can dig down deep and raise it up a notch then they can't beat Detroit. It would not surprise me to see Detroit sweep them.

I doubt NJ can win more than 1 game.

I still say the Pistons are going to be the biggest hurdle to anyone (Pacers included) winning a championship. Larry Brown with a team playing his way is a tough mountain to climb.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Seconded. I heard some short-lived "Nets in 7" talk, but I think the majority of the board expects, and has expected, the ECF to be Pistons v. Pacers.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Tim

I am one of the guys that thought the Nets would win the series.

What I expected was more pressure by the Nets on the Pistons backcourt for 48 minutes, I also expected better composure out of the Nets when the Pistons turned up the pressure.

Game 2 was a bit of an eye opener for me, I expected better play from the Nets. They again appeared to fall apart in the second half when the pressure was turned up. This is something I felt the Nets would be immune to since they have a lot of deep playoff experience.

I guess its a good thing though because I am still more concerned about Jason Kidd owning Jamal than what the Pistons can do to us.
    From what I have seen so far, the Pistons can make it a tough series by taking our bench away from us with their D.
    If the Pacers get consistent scoring out of Freddy, 5.1, Austin and AJ then the Pistons are going to have some problems.

I am also a bit concerned about Rick, don't get me wrong he is doing a great, great job but the Pistons know Rick, they know his weaknesses and they will attack it and maybe prepared for Rick's responses.

I guess I am hoping for a few unexpected tweaks to keep the Pistons guessing during a game.

NJ took a risk by not playing Kid and Martin at the end of the season, one that they would be back form "injury" (give them a lot of rest)

It paid off against NY, but has not done to well so far.
    I am amazed that they are no show till now, though I never thought they would speep the Pistons, that would have been a very silly thought.

I favor the Pistons in this serie, but am not afraid as a Pacer fan, counted on playing the Pistons in the ECF all the way, and am really looking forward to that match up, with some confidence and great anticipation.

I think we will win, because A. we're a better road team and B are not that likely to loose at home, but if we do we also stand the best chance of "correcting" that on the road ( of any playof team).

In short, I respect the Pistons, but am pretty sure Pacers will win,
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Sports Logo

What makes ours soooooo much better? I view both teams having about average offense, with them having better guards, but we have better post players.
    I dont mean than the Pistons I mean better than Kenny. Tinsley is a better defender than Kenny. I thought that was well established.

Oh and I am not willing to give them the edge in the guard departments. Reggie has not had to be the Reggie of old this year but he has shown that on many nights he can. I think as the playoffs wear on we will see more and more shots from the HOFer.

Tinsley is a better point guard than Chauncey (that does not mean I think he is the better player) Chauncey is a better player but Tinsley is better at the things that point guards are suposed to do. Like passing and ball handeling.

joro

What makes ours soooooo much better?
    Um, Hicks, he didn't say that our offense was soooooo much better (six "o's"); but rather that our offense was sooooo much better (five "o's").

Come on! Let's get things right.

:P :P

Despite the miscounted "o's," I agree with your implied assessment. I think our "o" is somewhat better, our "d" is comparable, and we have "h c a," which adds up to Pacers in 6 if we play the Crankshafts.

Let's wait until Detroit wins in New Jersey. I can think of 3 series that the Pacers opened on the road by losing both games and the series went on to go 7 games. As Chauncey Billups said last night, they really haven't done anything yet besides what they were suppose to do. Same with the Pacers. You don't take control of a series until you win on the road.
    Can we get a new color commentator please?

Tinsley is a better point guard than Chauncey (that does not mean I think he is the better player) Chauncey is a better player but Tinsley is better at the things that point guards are suposed to do. Like passing and ball handeling.
    I know this has been the perception in the past, but since the Pistons got Sheed, Billups has really stepped up his play.

In the 29 games he's played since the trade, Billups is averaging 7.2 assists, which would rank him sixth in the league over the course of the season. And his assist-to-turnover ratio has been 3.62 to 1, which would rank fourth in the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think everyone here has given the Pistons' their proper respect. In fact, some may have gone a bit overboard.

The Pistons match up magnificently with NJ. If Detroit keeps NJ in a half-court offense, they'll dominate with their defense. It certainly doesn't hurt to have Ben Wallace hitting jumpers.

If the Nets are able to run off of poor shot selection by the Pistons, or hit the shots Detroit gives them, the Nets have the upper hand.

Right now, Detroit has imposed their style of play on NJ, and that's why they're up 2-0. Simply put, the Pistons are tougher than NJ, and it shows.

The Pacers have done the same to Boston and (so far) Miami.

Pacers/Pistons is shaping up to be a 7-game classic series. I believe Detroit's defense is better than ours, while our offense is better than Detroit's, but neither by a large margin. The key in this series will be mental toughness, sticking to the game plan, and bench depth. If Bender plays to his capabilities and gets suffient PT, he and JO can give the Wallace x 2 a lot of problems.

I'd say the Pacers have advantage due to homecourt, but for some reason, they seem to play better on the road (as do the Pistons). If it comes to pass, it will be a great series.

I think everyone here has given the Pistons' their proper respect. In fact, some may have gone a bit overboard.
    Agreed, especially the day Artest went down and Detroit traded for Sheed. Half the board was ready to concede the East to them.

I'd really like to know who said NJ would sweep, cause that's just assinine. I doubt even Nets fans (all 3 of them) would feel that way.

I for one wasn't ready to concede the NJ series to Detroit, for one simple reason. People forget that NJ played really, really bad after the All-Star break last year, just like us, except they didn't have all our off-court stuff to blame it on. Then, when the playoffs started, they just put it in another gear and killed everybody. I doubted they could do that again with Frank as coach, but I still thought it was possible.

But hey, I've actually enjoyed the first two games, if for no other reason than the Nets and Kidd get what they deserve for how they treated Byron. Props to Larry for sticking up for him, btw.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We have homecourt...Detroit has a MEAN NASTY streak. Plus I think it really galls them to hear that the Pacers won the east and had the best record in the league. With a chip on their shoulder they will be very dangerous. IMO the series would hinge on our ability to handle their PHYSICAL PUNISHMENT without being baited into foolish techs and or ejections. If we can keep ur composure...then homecourt will determine the outcome. Homecourt and
    Jonathan Bender that is!
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

If we can keep ur composure...then homecourt will determine the outcome. Homecourt and
    Jonathan Bender that is!
    I practically got laughed off the forum when I suggested one of the reasons for our loss against the Pistons was the absence of Bender. ed:

Mood

If we can keep ur composure...then homecourt will determine the outcome. Homecourt and
    Jonathan Bender that is!
    I practically got laughed off the forum when I suggested one of the reasons for our loss against the Pistons was the absence of Bender. ed:
    I hear ya bro. Remember I'm the one that said he'd eventually have Garnett-like impact on this team. Just wait...just u wait....
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Mood

Sorry for the double post but I have a qustion for the Piston fans (since they started this thread)

Seriously, do you ever worry that some time you might open the paper or turn on the TV and see that Rasheed has been arrested for possesion. Or that he had flung a ball at Okur's head during practice? He's being a model citizen, but with his track record as late as this year, I'd be worried to death that he'd pull something out of his butt to draw attention to himself and end up wrecking the team. Just wondering.

Sorry for the double post but I have a qustion for the Piston fans (since they started this thread)

Seriously, do you ever worry that some time you might open the paper or turn on the TV and see that Rasheed has been arrested for possesion. Or that he had flung a ball at Okur's head during practice? He's being a model citizen, but with his track record as late as this year, I'd be worried to death that he'd pull something out of his butt to draw attention to himself and end up wrecking the team. Just wondering.
    .....do you worry every night that Ron might get arrested for losing his temper and beating the crap out of someone? This is the NBA. They aren't choirboys....

Somehow, deep down, I doubt rasheed would get himself arrested on PURPOSE, just for the attention...... He wants to win as much as anyone in the NBA. He clearly doesnt like talking to the press, what exactly makes you think he LIKES drawing attention?

Oh, and I could care less that he smokes weed, %95 of the NBA smokes it in the offseason, and I could care less.

There's a reason why every coach Sheed's ever played for absolutely LOVES him, and that includes Larry Brown, who is the main reason Sheed is here to BEGIN with.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

You sheep who only listen to bad publicity about Rasheed just don't realize that on the basketball court he is the ultimate teammate, ask anyone he has played with before.

By the way, whoever banned me, can't you take a rivalry? Weak, very weak.
    Rivalry, we can accept. Trolling, we cannot. Ask your fellow Pistons fans that AREN'T banned what the difference is.

King Mob

I always scratch my head when people in here say that despite his great behavior Sheed is a ticking time bomb, after watching first-hand the change Artest has gone through.

I think the culture or environment in Portland was just awful and that contributed greatly to the problems Sheed had there. He was a part of the problem there, yes, but I don't see any reason why he can't keep it together elsewhere.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Aggreed! Plus remember its a contract year AND he's playing for a team again that has a shot of winning it all just like us.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

You sheep who only listen to bad publicity about Rasheed just don't realize that on the basketball court he is the ultimate teammate, ask anyone he has played with before.
    I'm sure Ruben Boumtje Boumtje would agree.