Thread: Consultant: Dungy interested in Minnesota job

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Arrow Consultant: Dungy interested in Minnesota job

The University of Minnesota is Colts Coach Tony Dungy's alma matter, and the school is looking for a new head football coach.

Monday night, Eyewitness Sports reported that a sports consultant for the Minnesota Gophers claims Dungy wants the job.

"He wants the job. I think the most important thing with Tony is he wants it. He's probably one of the best fits right now," said Greg Cylkowski on Monday.

We'll keep you updated on this developing story. Eyewitness Sports is working to get comments from Coach Dungy.

[Credit: WTHR Indianapolis]

________

i wonder how interested he is....
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Consultant: Dungy interested in Minnesota job

This upsets me.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Mood

Hell of a time to be wanting another coaching job, when you're an NFL playoff coach and it's January 2.

Still, maybe it's best that he does take this job and we find someone else. He seems like the kind of coach that gets you to this point, but you don't win a Superbowl with. (Reminds me of how I think Carlisle will prove to be long-term in the NBA now that I think about it). Hopefully if/when he leaves this summer, we get someone who can take what he's built and take it to the final step.

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

Dungy passes on college job, assistant talking to Ariz.
    By Mike Chappell
    mike.chappell@indystar.com

Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy isn't going back to college, but assistant coach Jim Caldwell is going to Phoenix, Ariz., to interview for the vacant Arizona Cardinals head coaching position.

Dungy confirmed today that the Cardinals have been granted permission to interview Caldwell as a possible successor to Dennis Green, who was fired Monday. Since the Colts are preparing for Saturday's AFC wild-card playoff game in the RCA Dome with Kansas City, the interview probably won't take place until early next week.

Meanwhile, Dungy's name has been linked to the head coaching vacancy at the University of Minnesota. The Golden Gophers fired Glen Mason and apparently have Dungy -- a standout quarterback at Minnesota from 1973-76 -- on their list of candidates.

Minnesota officials have not contacted Dungy, and he indicated they would be wasting their time if they do.

"I'm not a college coach, never been a college coach,'' he said. "I think it's more just the name recognition and the fact I'm an alum.

"I'm flattered, but not interested. Very flattered.''

Caldwell is a former head coach at Wake Forest who has been on Dungy's staff since 2002. He currently is assistant head coach and quarterbacks coach. He interviewed for the vacant Minnesota Vikings head coaching position last year.

"I think Jim Caldwell is fantastic,'' Dungy said. "Obviously we wouldn't want to lose him, but he's going to be a very, very good head coach for someone.''

Call Star reporter Mike Chappell at (317) 444-6830.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...36/1004/SPORTS
    Narf!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Damn, I was hoping he would take it.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Damn, I was hoping he would take it.
    lmao
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I think we're probably going to lose Caldwell to some team...
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

im happy Tony is sticking around, cant really say i even knew who this Caldwell guy was...i have no idea who our assistant coaches are...i just know of Tom Moore, Howard Mudd and Ron Meeks the most...some fan i am lol
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

I just couldn't see Dungy as a college coach - all those players jumping around, getting excited about stuff - he would've gone nuts.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Can't say a part of me wasn't excited to see a coaching shakeup potentially in our future. I'm still torn on whether it's Dungy or Polian to truly blame because a case can be made either way. You could even argue that both of them are equally at fault. So, having a decision made for Irsay like that wouldn't have bothered me and would've painted a clearer picture for us by as early as next season if Dungy was actually a part of the problem.

So now I will hope this whole team proves the skeptics wrong and marches thru the playoffs. And barring that, I'll hope Dungy was spinning for the media.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Glad to see coach Dungy stick around. In answer to Bball wondering who should be gone as you can tell I think it should be Polian. People blame Dungy for the defensive whoas and because of his system. Bill Polian makes the personel decisions not Dungy. A good indicator of that is watching Klecko as your blocking back instead of who Dungy really wanted in Mike Alstott.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Glad to see coach Dungy stick around. In answer to Bball wondering who should be gone as you can tell I think it should be Polian. People blame Dungy for the defensive whoas and because of his system. Bill Polian makes the personel decisions not Dungy. A good indicator of that is watching Klecko as your blocking back instead of who Dungy really wanted in Mike Alstott.
    It's not just the defensive problems I blame Dungy for, it's the fact that he has no guts when it comes to decision-making on offense (you have one of the best offenses in the history of the game, Tony -- it might do you well to believe in them once-in-a-while). In addition, he makes absurd comments like the one about how the defense is essentially the same as last season (), and refuses to fix what obviously ain't working (the defensive schemes). The man can't make adjustments to save his life, which always leads us open to being outcoached late in games (just look at how the Titans snookered him a few weeks ago, or the fake punt I called right before it happened -- if I can see it coming, surely he can as well).

Seriously, what the hell does Dungy do out there? Everyone already knows that Peyton runs the offense, except when there is a questionable decision to make and Mr. Conservative takes over. And the run defense is one of the worst IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME.

I will say that Dungy is a significant step up over Mora, but then again, so am I.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Damn guess we are just gonna have to fire him now.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I still think Dungy might go to Pittsburgh if/when Bill leaves.