Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: James White Update

  1. #1
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,431

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default James White Update

    I know there was an old thread, but I can't find it. This was in the SA paper today. It is after the part about Parker and the basketball.

    http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...k.2e6855d.html

    Parker was rare player who didn't loathe synthetic ball

    Web Posted: 12/31/2006 11:51 PM CST

    Johnny Ludden
    Express-News

    The Spurs played their final game with the NBA's microfiber basketball Sunday and most weren't shedding tears over its dismissal.
    The NBA will begin using leather balls again today. The Spurs play their first game with the new-old ball Tuesday in Cleveland.

    Tony Parker was one of the few players in the league who didn't dislike the synthetic ball. In his final game with it, he scored 27 points to help the Spurs beat the Atlanta Hawks.

    "I like it, to be honest with you," Parker said. "But it doesn't matter to me. I played with the old ball for five years, so it will be OK."

    Elson on the mend: Center Francisco Elson, who has missed the past two games with a right shoulder injury, remains on schedule to return next week, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

    After Elson suffered a small tear to his right rotator cuff in Tuesday's loss to Milwaukee, team officials said they expected him to be out for two weeks. That would get him back on the court for either the Jan. 9 game against Portland or the next night's game in Denver.

    "He's on schedule," Popovich said. "They said it would be a couple weeks and I haven't heard anything differently from that.

    "He's doing his rehab and just getting a little bit better each day and getting his shoulder stronger."

    White shines: Spurs rookie guard James White scored 23 points Saturday for the Developmental League Austin Toros.

    The Spurs sent a large contingent — Elson, assistant general manager Sam Presti, director of pro player personnel Dell Demps and assistant strength coach Chris White — to watch James White, who also had six rebounds and six steals. In four games for the Toros, White is averaging 17.3 points while shooting 47.9 percent.

    The Spurs recalled White last week when Manu Ginobili, Matt Bonner and Brent Barry were sick, but reassigned him to Austin on Friday.

    Popovich believes White is benefiting more from playing for the Toros than merely watching during Spurs' games.

    "I'd love to get him on the court and see how he plays," Popovich said, "but we've got so many guys ahead of him right now. That's why we sent him down to Austin, so he could get some playing time.

    "We just want him to get as much experience there as we can and get him to understand what we'd like him to improve on. We'll just see what transpires as the year progresses."

    The Spurs want to see how White develops as a defender.

    "What a guy does defensively is of much greater concern to me than what he does in any offensive system," Popovich said. "We want him to learn how to play individual and team defense, and no matter what system anybody is using, those situations exist and you evaluate."


    Briefly: Bruce Bowen banged his right knee in a collision with Robert Horry on the final play of the first half, but returned. Popovich used Jacque Vaughn to back up Tony Parker in the first half. But after Vaughn went 0 for 4 in the half, Popovich called on Beno Udrih in the third quarter. Udrih had two points and an assist in eight minutes.

  2. #2
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,711

    Default Re: James White Update

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    "What a guy does defensively is of much greater concern to me than what he does in any offensive system," Popovich said. "We want him to learn how to play individual and team defense, and no matter what system anybody is using, those situations exist and you evaluate." [/B]

    I'd like to hear Rick say that same thing about 10 times a day

  3. #3
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,060

    Default Re: James White Update

    I thought you couldn't go back and forth from the development league.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  4. #4

    Default Re: James White Update

    Sounds like more egg on Larry Bird's face possibly.

  5. #5
    Leisure Suit Larry
    Guest

    Default Re: James White Update

    Yeah this is the same league where Bracey Wright was putting up like 30 a game all season last year. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

  6. #6
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,362

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: James White Update

    That begs the obvious question......why can't we send players like Harrison ( assuming that he is healthy ) or Shawne down to the D-league?

    I would much rather have them play against D-League scrubs for 30 minutes a game as opposed to playing 5 minutes a game against NBA scrubs.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  7. #7
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: James White Update

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That begs the obvious question......why can't we send players like Harrison ( assuming that he is healthy ) or Shawne down to the D-league?
    We could. But Carlisle didn't want to.

    Also, we don't have our own D-League team, while the Spurs do.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    921

    Default Re: James White Update

    Does anybody here think James White will ever become an NBA player? I don't.

    I don't think the big mistake was cutting James, it was trading two 2nds for him in the first place. And the guy we should've had with one of the 2nds is a PF performing very well off the bench for the Grizzlies.

  9. #9
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,951

    Default Re: James White Update

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That begs the obvious question......why can't we send players like Harrison ( assuming that he is healthy ) or Shawne down to the D-league?

    I would much rather have them play against D-League scrubs for 30 minutes a game as opposed to playing 5 minutes a game against NBA scrubs.
    We can't send Harrison because he's in his 3rd year, only 1st and 2nd year players can be sent down (and can only be sent down twice).

    As for why we've never sent anybody down? It was very apparent in the fall from Conrad's articles that TPTB are so egotistical they believe a guy sitting around watching here is more beneficial than learning and doing elsewhere. They backed off of that around Thanksgiving, right before Shawn had his short string of PT.

    As for White, if a 4-year (or 5-year if you count the transfer) college player can benefit from the D-league, one would think a 1-year player would, too.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  10. #10
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,951

    Default Re: James White Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, we don't have our own D-League team, while the Spurs do.
    Which they share with Houston and Boston. Hell of a lot closer, though.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  11. #11
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: James White Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We can't send Harrison because he's in his 3rd year, only 1st and 2nd year players can be sent down (and can only be sent down twice).

    As for why we've never sent anybody down? It was very apparent in the fall from Conrad's articles that TPTB are so egotistical they believe a guy sitting around watching here is more beneficial than learning and doing elsewhere. They backed off of that around Thanksgiving, right before Shawn had his short string of PT.

    As for White, if a 4-year (or 5-year if you count the transfer) college player can benefit from the D-league, one would think a 1-year player would, too.
    But here is where I disagree with the point. Would you explain why in the world a 5 year college player needs a lot more playing time experience in order to learn how to play well enough just to get small minutes with the NBA?

    This guy was at Cincy and Florida, not some JuCo. He better be way past the basics of how to beat guys weaker than him (and his numbers prove that he is).

    It's one thing when you use the NBADL as a SUBSTITUTE for college experience, quite another when it's supposed to teach you the NBA game. It doesn't IMO.

    One major problem keeping it from teaching the NBA game is that a TALENTED player can still rely on athleticism to beat out sub-NBA talent on a regular basis. The bad habits just get reinforced rather than broken at some point.


    Right now Pop gets to talk it all up. But he already brought White up once and sent him right back, so I guess he wasn't that impressed by the number JW was putting up. Let's see this plan truly CHANGE White's game and make him better (and how will we measure since he hasn't been allowed to be tested yet anyway?)

    What can a guy learn from a league he is already dominating in, especially if despite being one of the best players in the league he's not good enough to stick in the Spurs deep rotation even?


    The NBADL is supposed to be the OPTION to college, the NBA's version of the MLB minor leagues. Problem is that it isn't set up like that yet. I think it fills a role that allows very young, undeveloped players to spend the very early process getting up to speed, but it isn't the same as being a 10 minute NBA player and learning what does and doesn't work against players equal or better in speed, strength and jumping, as well as being more crafty.

    Harrington and Bender would have benefitted from 1 year in the NBADL, but not their 3rd year or 5th year. By 22 or so they would have been past that stage (and were).


    Honestly I think Shawne has already gotten more out of his limited time on the court for the Pacers than White is in the NBADL. Heck, just look at Baston and how much he's already improved or how Granger dropped his silly fouls after his first rookie month even.


    Bear in mind that I do think White has the ability to play in the NBA. I just think 15th man or worse is not what he needs. And for all we know he could already be capable of great numbers. It's not like Pop has used him even in sample minutes to see how he reacts to the NBA (in blowouts, or mid 2nd for a few, etc).

  12. #12

    Default Re: James White Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anybody here think James White will ever become an NBA player? I don't.

    Obviously, many of us do. And obviously, Popovich does. And Rick Carlisle says he expect him to become a very good NBA player.

  13. #13
    Member indyman37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    903

    Default Re: James White Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We could. But Carlisle didn't want to.

    Also, we don't have our own D-League team, while the Spurs do.
    Actually, our D-League team is the Albuquerque Thunderbirds. We share it with Cleveland and Phoenix. The Thunderbirds even won the D-League championship last year.

    Here are the teams and their affiliates:

    Albuquerque CLE, IND, PHO
    Anaheim LAC, POR, ORL
    Arkansas ATL, MEM, MIA
    Austin BOS, HOU, SAS
    Bakersfield GSE, SAC
    Colorado DEN, NJN, TOR
    Dakota CHI, WAS
    Fort Worth CHA, DAL, PHI
    Idaho SEA, UTA
    Los Angeles LAL
    Sioux Falls DET, MIN
    Tulsa MIL, NOK, NYK

  14. #14
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,951

    Default Re: James White Update

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This guy was at Cincy and Florida, not some JuCo. He better be way past the basics of how to beat guys weaker than him (and his numbers prove that he is).
    The point isn't for him to beat guys, it's to learn how to play in a defensive system:

    Quote Originally Posted by Pop
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "We want him to learn how to play individual and team defense, and no matter what system anybody is using, those situations exist and you evaluate."
    No matter how good his rep for defense is, Huggins almost certainly left him to freelance. It's like when Rick came here, and Ron *****ed about having to play a system. I wouldn't be surprised if they have to totally deconstruct him as a player after playing for Huggins, but then I hate the guy, so who knows.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  15. #15
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: James White Update

    Well that may be the case and is a good point. But it still suggests that his STATS aren't a sign of anything. Rather in that case it would just be about the coaches/scouts seeing if he is making the right spacing/position decisions or not, regardless of his shooting, etc.

    I do think that if there is something specific to be worked on and that it will develop best with lots of game flow situations as practice then the D-league presents a good option.

    I still think that in most cases what fans envision is a guy just playing away someplace and getting progressively better just from repetition.

    What you have suggested actually matches what I'm saying, the D-League is a SUBSTITUTE for a quality NCAA basketball education. If in fact Cincy/FLA did nothing to improve White's understanding of how the sport works from a team concept then he is basically still lacking in that college level education.

    That's not the same as a player who saw plenty of good college level coaching and situations and is ready to now learn what must be adjusted in order to keep up with NBA caliber athletes. That's a different type of learning that simply will not come from the D-league. How do you learn to defend Parker or Nash by playing against Snap Hunter?

    And I will stand by the idea that the D-league or CBA or whatever allows players to learn habits that work in that pool of talent, but which won't work against smarter, faster, bigger NBA players.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •