Thread: Are the defensive problems mental or physical?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Are the defensive problems mental or physical?

After hearing Peyton say "we are what we are" when referring to the Efense, I can't help but wonder if he's right. After all, our problems are often not guys getting loose, but missed tackles leading to guys getting loose. Sure, guys are going to get loose once in a while, but I think the impact of that happening is being exagerrated a bit by the fact that so many guys go for big runs due to the tacklers' inability to bring them down after getting a hand on them. It makes our Efense twice as bad as it would be otherwise.

Maybe nothing is changing on the defensive end because nothing CAN change. You can't teach strength, and these guys just aren't strong enough to bring the big boys down.

Default Re: Are the defensive problems mental or physical?

Yup. They're too small. And we have Rob freakin' Morris starting again.

Brock getting moved to tackle and us losing Thornton was the start of this defensive downslide, I think.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Not sure what you're talking about with missed tackles any more than I know what the Colts defenders are talking about with missed tackles.

The games I've watched, most of the time the first time a runner's touched he's 4-5 yards past the line.

Pretty simple really. Mathis and Freeney are upfield past the play before a runner reaches the line and they've been pushed there by a TE on one side and a tackle on the other. That leaves 4 linemen to take care of the tackles and 3 LB's. You run away from the unblocked LB (actually a FB can take him and in a 2 TE set you have him too) so the first player to make most of the hits is a safety.

If your ends ever bothered to run defend it might be a different story. They don't and it isn't. The only running plays you have any success against is when, for some unexplained reason, they decide to run outside. Then you have an end in position to contain (nice of them to play like a CB on run plays) and the quickness of everyone else can catch up.

A long-term option would be to switch to a 3-4 with either Mathis or Freeney playing LB and rushing on any passing down. Otherwise, at least one of your ends needs more beef and a mentality of wanting to defend the run.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If your ends ever bothered to run defend it might be a different story. They don't and it isn't. The only running plays you have any success against is when, for some unexplained reason, they decide to run outside. Then you have an end in position to contain (nice of them to play like a CB on run plays) and the quickness of everyone else can catch up.

A long-term option would be to switch to a 3-4 with either Mathis or Freeney playing LB and rushing on any passing down. Otherwise, at least one of your ends needs more beef and a mentality of wanting to defend the run.

I agree with with both these points. For me it's both being too small and the scheme. I can't stand seeing the ends constantly flying beyond the play like Pavlov's dogs.

I'd suggest a switch to 3-4 with Mathis going to LB or maybe even both he and Freeney converting to LBs. Then you have to acquire another serious run clogger a la McFarland or two or three.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

You know, many teams use different DE's in running situations than in passing situations. But can the Colts afford to have that many DE's under the salary cap and still totally overpay overall for the offense?

Still, that's one of the beauties of the 3-4. The DEs are really DTs and are primarily run stoppers than can also apply pressure. But they don't penetrate so deeply into the backfield that they are useless on running plays.

The OLBs were college DEs that are too small to play DE in the pros. And from there, they can also play the outside running lane pretty well and force runners back into the gut of the defense.

I guess I've been watching a great 3-4 for so long that I can't imagine why any team would play a 4-3 on purpose?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

One other difference between last season's run defense and this season's run defense - when you are playing with a lead, other teams just don't run the ball.

The significant increase in opponent's rushing YPG from last year to this year is because teams aren't panicking against you and completely abandoning thier running games. Pittsburgh figured that out last winter, and reminded the rest of the league the proper blueprint. Now, your defensive personnel (front seven) and strategy both need to change.

As a non-Colts fan, I continue to be thankful that Pollian puts all his eggs into one basket - offense. If I were a Colts fan, that's who I'd look to blame, that's a strategy that has been known to fail over and over and over in the playoffs.

If you want to improve your defense/ team, the first thing I'd do is find an above-average quarterback to go with the rest of your outstanding offensive players. You'll save enough salary cap space to invest in the defense, and you'll also save enough money to invest in a coach to call the plays (and manage the clock better instead of scoring so fast that you put the defense right back onto the field without enough rest.)

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm with DK here. If Freeney and Mathis would at least pretend to play the run once in a awhile, the Run D would improve. You can't expect the two DT's to handle everything, especially when you're two DE's are in the middle of spin moves on a draw play. By the time they are out of their spin move the RB is 5 yards upfield, has already busted through the DT's, and is working on getting past the unblocked LB. If he happens to get past the LB's it's a LONG gain before one of our nicked up backup safeties can bring him down. All an opposing team has to do is make sure they chew a lot of clock and don't put the ball on the ground and they'll be in every game against us. It really is the perfect storm for a RB. It's no wonder the Colts make players like Ron Dayne and Travis Henry look like pro bowlers.

Windy City Flyer City of Big Sholdas's Avatar

Mental or Physical....OR maybe Peyton problems...you know since Peyton is why the colts lose every game...i mean damn I guess he has to have TWO game winning drives or maybe they just need to run and pass at the same time, which both or PHYSICALLY impossible, unless your Peyton...because the whole city expects you to save the defenses' *** and when you don't, OH GOD HELP YOU....Peyton only threw for 250 1 TD 1 INT, damnit Peyton...we needed 6 TD to win by a FG and you didnt pull through so it is your fault.
    |Bears 3-5 - Bulls 0-4|Aren't we just on a roll?