Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peyton just subtly ripped the defense

Default Re: Peyton just subtly ripped the defense

Quote Originally Posted by brichard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, could we have had more efficent drives? Or converesely, could we have milked the ball more and kept it out of the hands of the Texans?

And you are correct, only in Indy are the expectations so high on offense. We have the best offense in the game right now... period. You still haven't addressed my question, current games aside, why have the Colts lost in the playoffs? Has it primarily been the defense or offense?
    You are correct, I didn't... here goes...

Overall, I think you can say that both sides have failed multiple times during the playoffs.

Here is brief summary (info from NFL.com)

2002 - Jets 41, Colts 0
    Both sides failed during this game. Defense gave up 180 yards on the ground, gave up 41, but maybe the more telling is that they allowed the Jets to score on 4 of 5 Red zone trips. Offense only got to the red zone twice coming up empty both times. Peyton throws two picks and only 124 yards coming from 14 passes.

2003 - New England 24, Colts 14
    I think this one is clearly on the offense. Defense held the Patriots to 5 field goals and 1 pass touchdown. There were no Red Zone visits by NE. They held NE to 112 yards on the ground at a 3.5 ypc and 237 through the air. If this year's defense could hold averages like that, we might be undefeated. Offense, obivously Peyton throwing 4 ints didn't help, but also there were no Red Zone visits at all by this High Octane offense. Not acceptable in the playoffs. The O-Line also gave up 4 sacks. The sad part is that the Colts still had a chance if Edge doesn't fumble.

2004 - New England 20, Colts 3
    Again, both sides can shoulder some blame here. Defense allows over 200 yards rushing at 5.4 ypc, that cannot happen in the playoffs. The D did sack Brady 3 times on a positive note, too bad we can't get points for those . The offense never got in the Red Zone and only produced one field goal. They also had two fumbles lost... not much more to say.

2005 - Pittsburg 21, Colts 18
    I think this one, I put on the Offense. Defense, sure they give up 3 TDs, but they held the Steelers to 112 yards at 2.9 ypc and 183 yards passing. They sacked Ben twice and caused what should have been either the game tying or wining fumble. If Ben doesn't make the shoestring tackle, defense scores and wins the game. Offense, there were only two trips to the Red zone, of which they score once. The O-line allowed 5 sacks.

There, so much for being brief

Overall, IMO, the offense has screwed this team more in the playoffs. If they would have performed like they had in the regular season, they would be 3-1 in those games instead of 0-4. The only loss would have been the Jets game, unless they could have(and probably should have) scored more than the 41 points. However, the D cannot allow 41 points in the playoffs.

I think the problem this year will be defense however, because the defense cannot stop the run, the offense will sit on the sideline most of the game. Unfortunately, the best offense in the NFL will not be a determining factor due to the time it has on the field.

The only hope we have is that we get the ball first, score, then the opposing team fumbles the kick return, we score again. Another turnover by the other team and we score again. Of course, I'm not sure that a 21 point cushion is enough, if the team has any kind of running game, they will just pound our defense and keep the offense on the sidelines.

I'm really hoping that it doesn't play out like that b/c I'm really tired of the playoff loses. I think the colts need to make a statement vs Miami, they need the win and hope that the ravens lose. I think a bye helps the defense b/c we should get Sanders back. Not that one man can save this defense, but at least they seem to play better with him in there.

I'm ready for Sunday.

This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    The other one, the one that was a bit closer, that game was just nuts, and I don't remember much about it, except for being mad as hell at the end of the game.
    Colts receivers were absolutely mugged in that one. I always hate using officiating as a crutch for losing but for that one game I think Colts fans have a legit gripe.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    Colts receivers were absolutely mugged in that one. I always hate using officiating as a crutch for losing but for that one game I think Colts fans have a legit gripe.

Yes! That was it! Jesus, I was fuming after that game. So blatant! Ahh... old times
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

fooddaman,

So basically, you are seeing what I am seeing in the playoffs. A team that is regarded to be the most potent on offense, coming up with very average to below average numbers in big games. Everybody, including myself, wants to see us get better on the defensive side of the football. However, I also shudder a bit to think what will happen if we reduce our offensive core. They aren't exactly knocking it out of the park right now in big games.

0, 14, 3, and 18 are some pretty dismal scores for a Peyton led offense. And I must say I don't blame the defense for the lack of scoring. And outside of the Jets (41), the defense hasn't been blown out in scoring with 24, 20, and 21. When the Colts have the ball they look absolutely perplexed on what to do against the defensive schemes that are thrown at them. Most teams have a different gear or arsenal they go to in the playoffs, and I just don't think the Colts do. By the end of the year most teams have figured out how to play us, and compounded with the pressure looming over Peyton for another quick out... it has just been a recipe for disaster.

I do think this defense, if it were not so ridiculed with injuries, could be sufficient with a deadly offense. Cory Simon sure helped stuff the run and we could use him. Bob Sanders, our best hitter IMO, has been severely limited as well. With the salary cap it is just tough to have much depth when you get nailed.

There are some potent offensive teams (Cowboys, 49ers) that have done well in the playoffs, but they were obviously better on the defensive side than we are. But unless we get some relief from injuries, the offense is going to have to play near perfect ball for us to win. And maybe... maybe we need to start running the ball more and playing the posession game.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    IMO two years ago it was coaching. You conceded the game in NE before it ever started by deciding to play their game instead of yours because it was cold with a little wind.
    Yep they had Troy Brown covering Stokley because thats when they had numerous injuries in the secondary, and Peyton had thrown 49 TDs that year so the gameplan was to never go deep... sigh...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am probably the only person who will say this, but I blame the Colts offense far more for our losses than the Colts defense.
    I'm sorry but when the defense allows the Texans and the Titans to run the two minute drill at the end of the game with almost all running plays, then I would would say that the defense has failed us.

Brichard,
    Did you not read the stats I posted in this thread or Jay's followup?

The defense is awful. The defense has been bad. It's a defense designed to play perfectly into the opposition's hands.

While it is true we expect our offense to be very good due to the personell and the money spent we also have to be realistic. Other teams do put a defense on the field and it's not a porous defense like our own. Can anyone imagine the immense pressure our offense is under with our defense?

Yes, the offense was out of synch to start the Steelers game while meanwhile the Steeler walked all over us when they had the ball. They marched right down the field.

We're in what is the same as a shootout every game because we have to score every possession because we can't stop the other's teams running. IF the defensive problems were opposite and we could stop the run and force them to throw then maybe the QB would miss, a player drop the ball, etc and stop their own drives and slow down the clock. Unfortunately (for us), you don't have those issues with a conservative ground game. Fumbles are pretty rare.... rarer than the Colts stopping a running play.

It's hard to blame the offense for anything when they score 4 out of 6 possessions. Expecting ANY team to score every possession is tough. Especially when they face the pressure of actually having to think about possession time themselves or Tarik Glenn getting a false start penalty.

DK's assessment of past playoff failures has been pretty good.

Some in the Colt hierarchy need to be taking a look into the mirror.

The Colts shut it down last year after the SD game. Unfortunately, the SD game also was the blueprint on how to beat the Colts. So by the time we faced the Steelers we were rusty, with a porous run defense, and facing a team that knew exactly how to beat us.

The defensive issues weren't corrected last year even tho they were exposed... and here we are. That's why the Colts' line of "We do what we do" is so bogus. It's not working. It wasn't working. The better coaches figured it out first. And now everyone has the gameplan.

IMHO Peyton has been playing some of his best ball these past couple of seasons. In year's past he's tried to do too much... too often... and it's hurt. I remember Mora calling him out and Mora was exactly right. But Peyton has gotten better and better about not doing too much and taking what the defense has to offer. (But he can still be pressured into mistakes... as the Cowboys showed or the end of the Steeler game in the playoffs where he was looking downfield to the endzone 2 times in a row instead of trying to get our kicker closer).

Lastly... when you do have an undermanned, undersized, outgunned defense... I doubt Dungy is the first guy that comes to mind to motivate and inspire them to be more than they otherwise would be.

-BBall
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned View Post
    I'm sorry but when the defense allows the Texans and the Titans to run the two minute drill at the end of the game with almost all running plays, then I would would say that the defense has failed us.
    QUIET, YOU!

It's Peyton's fault.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Windy City Flyer City of Big Sholdas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    QUIET, YOU!

It's Peyton's fault.
    I know man god damn Peyton blew that coverage...he let that receiver run right past him.
    |Bears 3-5 - Bulls 0-4|Aren't we just on a roll?

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Brichard,
    Yes, the offense was out of synch to start the Steelers game while meanwhile the Steeler walked all over us when they had the ball. They marched right down the field.
    Bball,

I haven't read your stats on the game, but in the Steelers game the most relevant stat is the score. Scoring 21 points against somebody does not classify as "walking all over" a team. As a matter of fact, the defense came up with a pretty incredible opportunity during crunch time to give us a shot at putting it into OT or winning. Of course we all know what happened at the end.

We have a variety of different subjects going on in one thread, so let me try and clarify my position on a few things.

1. The defense is not good and needs to improve. I don't think there is any question about that and it is sad to watch teams run the ball with so much success.

2. However, this team is designed on the offensive side of the football. You can certainly call that a design flaw as many people feel that defense wins championships, but it is what it is. We are expected to light up the air ala Marino Dolphin and Fouts Charger led teams. And I'm sure there fans expected high scoring each game.

3. Peyton has shown the propensity to drop, not equal or raise his level of play in big games. Now I don't say this with any glee. I love Peyton and I have a freaking jersey of his hanging in my closet that I wear each time the Colts play. And each year I tell myself he is going to finally shed that image and play in the playoffs at an elite level. But... he just hasn't shown the ability to do that.

The Steeler game was certainly better than his original New England performance, so I do hold out hope he'll get there. But anybody watching the game can see he is nervous by the way he moves in the pocket. He just isn't the same old Peyton. Anybody who doesn't see the offense as a huge contributor in our playoff losses is simply in denial. The offense certainly gets us there, and then they lay an egg. It is painful but true.

I still say Peyton is our Jordan. And sometimes Jordan would have to go for 55 points for his team to win. Is it reasonable to expect that performance every night? Of course not, but sometimes you have to do it. Heck, even if we score 4 times, what if they were all TD's? One touchdown a quarter is a high standard, but I certainly wouldn't call it "miraculous expectations."

I'm curious, noting that we have guys in Peyton/Marvin that have already eclipsed Rice/Young, what type of scoring do you expect each week from this team? Is 21 points considered status quo to you? Perhaps my standards are too high, but I tend to expect at least 21 points a game based on the talent we have there.
    “Seventy percent of me talking on the court is personally for me to get me
    motivated and going. Thirty percent is to see if I can get into the opponent’s head.”
    Reggie Miller

i wonder though as to the offense this year in terms of their scoring- how much has been their inability to produce as compared to the number of opportunities. such as a points per min stat. i imagine it is pretty good. probably about as good as anything out there. problem is- i forsee that when the playoffs start, the colts either win the coin toss and have to score on the 1st drive or they are playing catch up from the starting possesion. and if they don't score when they get the ball- they are in MAJOR trouble. they are probably down 10-14 by then and peyton starts to try to force stuff and then really bad things tend to happen.

i would also like to mention that as bad as the running d has been, the special teams d has not done the squad any favors either. it seems like the other teams always have excellent starting field position or they run it for a touchdown. i swear we probably have more saved td returns by our punter than any other team.
    this just leads to too much demand for flawless play by the offense and i don't think any offense can play a flawless playoffs. flawless or near-flawless for a game but, not the whole playoffs and super bowl.

fooddaman,

So basically, you are seeing what I am seeing in the playoffs. A team that is regarded to be the most potent on offense, coming up with very average to below average numbers in big games. Everybody, including myself, wants to see us get better on the defensive side of the football. However, I also shudder a bit to think what will happen if we reduce our offensive core. They aren't exactly knocking it out of the park right now in big games.

0, 14, 3, and 18 are some pretty dismal scores for a Peyton led offense. And I must say I don't blame the defense for the lack of scoring. And outside of the Jets (41), the defense hasn't been blown out in scoring with 24, 20, and 21. When the Colts have the ball they look absolutely perplexed on what to do against the defensive schemes that are thrown at them. Most teams have a different gear or arsenal they go to in the playoffs, and I just don't think the Colts do. By the end of the year most teams have figured out how to play us, and compounded with the pressure looming over Peyton for another quick out... it has just been a recipe for disaster.

I do think this defense, if it were not so ridiculed with injuries, could be sufficient with a deadly offense. Cory Simon sure helped stuff the run and we could use him. Bob Sanders, our best hitter IMO, has been severely limited as well. With the salary cap it is just tough to have much depth when you get nailed.

There are some potent offensive teams (Cowboys, 49ers) that have done well in the playoffs, but they were obviously better on the defensive side than we are. But unless we get some relief from injuries, the offense is going to have to play near perfect ball for us to win. And maybe... maybe we need to start running the ball more and playing the posession game.
    Yep, I think we are on the same page. After today's game, I'm still not overly impressed with the Offense. I think the defense did a very good job of bending, but not breaking today.

The matchup with KC doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies for sure. They have exactly what the Colts Defense has struggled with the most this year, a big back that can make very good cut-back moves. The one positive is that it will be in Indy and not in KC. It will be a very tough road to the Superbowl. First they will need to get by KC, then the Ravens in Baltimore. We will assume that then they will play the bolts in SD.

Welcome to the playoffs

This space for rent