Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Artest for Maggette again?

Default Artest for Maggette again?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...ines-sports-nb a-clippe

Clippers deep-six their skid
    Yao breaks a knee bone, and L.A. gets a 98-93 win on the road. A trade for Artest is being discussed.
    By Jason Reid
    Times Staff Writer

December 24, 2006

HOUSTON — Despite their problems, the Clippers on Saturday night were better than the Houston Rockets minus Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming.

The Clippers held off the short-handed Rockets and ended a six-game losing streak in a 98-93 victory in front of a sellout crowd of 18,246 at the Toyota Center.

McGrady has been sidelined for seven games because of a back injury, and the Rockets lost the other half of their All-Star tandem when Yao suffered a broken bone on his right knee in a first-quarter collision with Tim Thomas. The Rockets expect the 7-foot-6, 310-pound center to be sidelined for at least six weeks.

Meanwhile, the Clippers continued to pursue a trade for an impact player, discussing a potential deal for Ron Artest of the Sacramento Kings, a high-ranking Clippers source said after the game.

Apparently, Artest, whom the Clippers tried to acquire last season from the Indiana Pacers, is eager to leave the Kings, and the Clippers want to send Corey Maggette to Sacramento for the versatile player. A Clippers official spoke with the Kings on Friday, and talks are expected to continue today.

Regardless of whether the Clippers get a boost from Artest, they were upbeat for a change Saturday after defeating a quality opponent on the road. McGrady and Yao would have made things more difficult, the Clippers said, but they finally did many things right together.

"We had guys playing together and sharing the ball, cutting and moving, and it was just great to see," said point guard Shaun Livingston, who had 10 points, seven assists and six rebounds.

"Even when Yao went out, it was like, 'We need this.' Would we rather have T-Mac and Yao in there together, play like we did and win? Yeah.

"But you've got to get it how you can in the NBA. It's cutthroat. If our guys were out, they would try to mop us up, so we did what we had to do." Especially after Friday's 32-point loss against the Dallas Mavericks in which the Clippers trailed by 43 points in the fourth quarter.

On Saturday, the Clippers (11-15) improved to 2-9 as a visiting team, in large part because they were strong on offense for the first time since, well, in a long time.

The Clippers had six players in double figures, and Thomas and Cuttino Mobley benefited most from sharp passing and unselfish play.

Thomas made four three-point shots and matched his season high with 21 points. Mobley shot three for three from beyond the arc and scored 18 points. Chris Kaman took advantage of Yao's absence in a solid 15-point, 11-rebound performance.

Houston (16-11) got 28 points from Shane Battier. Luther Head, who made five of the Rockets' 11 three-point baskets, scored 22 points and Rafer Alston had 21.

"That's what you can do when you share the basketball and play smart," Mobley said of the Clippers' improvement on offense. "Everybody feeds off each other and helps each other."

Of course, Yao's injury was a big factor.

With 6 minutes 17 seconds remaining in the opening quarter, Thomas drove into the lane and Yao leaped to block his shot. Yao, teammate Chuck Hayes and Thomas became entangled and fell, and Yao quickly grabbed his right knee and began screaming in pain.

Yao remained on the court for several minutes while Rockets medical personnel evaluated him. He declined to use a wheelchair and was helped off the court.

"Yao Ming is their focus, especially with McGrady out, but we can't worry about that," said Elton Brand, who scored 16 points. "We just needed to win the game."

Default Re: Artest for Maggette again?

It'd be fitting. Plus, Ron would be re-united with his other ex-Bull front-court teammate.

Maybe Ron should be traded every year - it might work out best for him and the teams he plays for.

I'm 100% serious.

Banned

Clips need to do something, (gasp) this might actually be a good move for them
    I think Elton Brand can calm down Ron

maybe Im just stupid?

Gotta Play Big

Poor Clippers. Ron will want to be the man. The problem is, Brand is better and Livingston is on the rise.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ron obviously wanted to be in LA, so I could see this happening. The Kings may even get the Clips to throw someone else in, since talent-wise, it's not an een trade, and Ron hasn't gone public with any demands (yet).

So, which was the better choice; Al or Mags?

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Radja View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

maybe Im just stupid?
    You're not stupid. Just naive.

I hope Ron finds a way to land on the other LA team. Whoo boy!

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Maybe Ron should be traded every year - it might work out best for him and the teams he plays for.

I'm 100% serious.
    Thats what I was thinking. A trade seems to get his attention and he puts his team first, but after a while if things start going bad he puts himself first.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Radja View Post

maybe Im just stupid?
    Not stupid just mislead. Ron cannot be calmed.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    You're not stupid. Just naive.

I hope Ron finds a way to land on the other LA team. Whoo boy!
    Mamba would have him for dinner!

"Enough is enough! I have had it with this mother*******ing Artest on this mother*******ing team!"

Ron doesn't need an agent for a trade. Just show his *** and infantile mentality and a team will eventually accomodate him.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Mamba would have him for dinner!

"Enough is enough! I have had it with this mother*******ing Artest on this mother*******ing team!"
    I don't care who ya are, that's just funny right there.

I think this helps verify that Walsh's version of how things finally went down with Ron was legit...Ron backing out, wanting it to be LA, DW putting it bluntly that he was going to Sacto or he was F'd. It had nothing to do with Ron deciding he actually did want to go there.

I 100% think that Ron is about MONEY right now.

A) LA/NYC because of ENDORSEMENT money. Big market means a way for him to address his finances without a new contract (which he can't get).

B) More shots means more profile. He wants offensive star status because again that's who gets the commercial cash.

C) Points per Game would also factor into his next contract as well and he want to max that out as much as possible rather than be the "underappreciated defensive stopper" when they start negotiating the cash.

He's carped way too much about his contract, even saying a few months ago that he didn't try as hard in Indy because he was underpaid. He's also made too big a deal about getting to LA, Clips or Lakers. Other than being in LA the Clippers offer no more than the Kings, both are in the West and moderately competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I don't care who ya are, that's just funny right there.

I think this helps verify that Walsh's version of how things finally went down with Ron was legit...Ron backing out, wanting it to be LA, DW putting it bluntly that he was going to Sacto or he was F'd. It had nothing to do with Ron deciding he actually did want to go there.

I 100% think that Ron is about MONEY right now.

A) LA/NYC because of ENDORSEMENT money. Big market means a way for him to address his finances without a new contract (which he can't get).

B) More shots means more profile. He wants offensive star status because again that's who gets the commercial cash.

C) Points per Game would also factor into his next contract as well and he want to max that out as much as possible rather than be the "underappreciated defensive stopper" when they start negotiating the cash.

He's carped way too much about his contract, even saying a few months ago that he didn't try as hard in Indy because he was underpaid. He's also made too big a deal about getting to LA, Clips or Lakers. Other than being in LA the Clippers offer no more than the Kings, both are in the West and moderately competitive.
    The sad part is even with his insanity he still could have gotten a good contract if he had stayed with us.

Of course if he was mentally stable he would be a max player (I truely beleive that) but wether or not he is the "underappreciated defensive stopper" wont matter anymore. I dont see any GM dishing out good money for him for his next contract. I bet he gets equal, or less money, and then he will demand another trade. Actually, that would be kind of fun to watch. When does his contract expire?

1..2..3.. lil old blue sportsmusicxboxpacer's Avatar

it going happen this week if kings want get rid of this problem player...
    IF YOU A PACER FAN DONT BASH TO THE PACERS..!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    The sad part is even with his insanity he still could have gotten a good contract if he had stayed with us.

Of course if he was mentally stable he would be a max player (I truely beleive that) but wether or not he is the "underappreciated defensive stopper" wont matter anymore. I dont see any GM dishing out good money for him for his next contract. I bet he gets equal, or less money, and then he will demand another trade. Actually, that would be kind of fun to watch. When does his contract expire?
    If NBA contracts were not guaranteed then Artest could probably get a nice sized contract but with his history of unstable behavior I don't know that there's any GM that would tie that kind of money up for multiple years with no real escape.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

addition by subtraction? seems like artest is back to his old ways... which is truly sad because i was a kings fan that was really happy to see him come to sac.... its just sad a player with such talent has to be such a distraction..... i really think we could do alot better than maggette though

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Fillmoe View Post
    addition by subtraction? seems like artest is back to his old ways... which is truly sad because i was a kings fan that was really happy to see him come to sac.... its just sad a player with such talent has to be such a distraction..... i really think we could do alot better than maggette though
    Last season, DW was able to convert the "Artest incident" into a somewhat decent return by getting Peja. But now...after just a single season with the team he was traded to....if Artest is truly being shopped by Petrie.......despite his skills and talents....I think that his trade value has dropped significantly given that this could be the 2nd time that he has been traded in as many years.

Despite all the "Defensive POTY" accolades that one could hang around Artest's neck.....his skills and trade value is now overshadowed by the significant risk that hangs over his head. The GM Risk factor is significantly higher this time around simply cuz he couldn't even make things work with another team after a single season.....coupled with the very same problem that DW had when trying to move Artest last season ( his relatively low contract compared to his skills )....I could see that its gonna be really hard to get anything worthwhile in return.

Regardless of however Maggette would fit into the team....if a deal for Maggette for Artest could be had....they should take it and run.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Fillmoe View Post
    The Kings could have done a lot better than Maggette, but considering this isn't the first time Ron has done this....you should be praying you can get Maggette.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    If NBA contracts were not guaranteed then Artest could probably get a nice sized contract but with his history of unstable behavior I don't know that there's any GM that would tie that kind of money up for multiple years with no real escape.

-Bball
    I can think of at least one NBA GM who would offer him a contract (I can give you a hint, he used to coach the Indiana Pacers). Now if he has a job when that time comes, that is yet to be seen.....

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I can think of at least one NBA GM who would offer him a contract (I can give you a hint, he used to coach the Indiana Pacers). Now if he has a job when that time comes, that is yet to be seen.....
    What are you talking about Zeke was never that high on Ron. If he was that high on him he would have given us Frye and Ron would be a Knick right now.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by VaPacerFan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    What are you talking about Zeke was never that high on Ron. If he was that high on him he would have given us Frye and Ron would be a Knick right now.
    I thought that was common knowledge that Zeke asked/demanded that Ron was sent elsewhere. I don't feel like searching the archives of the Digest here, but I believe there's a column or two written about Isiah wanting to get rid of Artest when he coached here.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

What Stein and Bucher said on ESPN was the only reason this trade is not done yet is because the Clippers are talking to people around the Kings organization to see where things went sour between Ron and the Kings. And if they are not scared by what they hear the trade is gonna be done.

Said the Kings feel they need to trade him as quick they can because they feel if they wait and try to make Ron comfortable he might go crazy and they wont be able to get anything for him.

Sports Logo

What Stein and Bucher said on ESPN was the only reason this trade is not done yet is because the Clippers are talking to people around the Kings organization to see where things went sour between Ron and the Kings. And if they are not scared by what they hear the trade is gonna be done.

Said the Kings feel they need to trade him as quick they can because they feel if they wait and try to make Ron comfortable he might go crazy and they wont be able to get anything for him.
    Its funny....but when I go onto the SacTown RealGM forum....they are barely mentioning moving Artest and sticking to moving Bibby.....whereas some of the forum members on KingsTalk has begun to move in the "get rid of Artest before he blows up" direction ( fortunately...alot quicker then we did last season ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

They dont want to believe thats what it is. They dont want to believe what we said. We told them he wont change we told them he didnt really want to play up there. Now they see what the power of Ron Artest can do.

Bibby would be much easier to move then Ron but Bibby hasnt ever killed a teams season all by himself either.

Bibby would be much easier to move then Ron but Bibby hasnt ever killed a teams season all by himself either.
    They should move both of them.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!