Thread: Who will not be a Pacer next season?

Default Who will not be a Pacer next season?

Will DA return? Will Marshall or Powell be given another year? Will Sarunas and Baston be on the the 2007-2008 roster?

No, no, yes!

Anyone else leaving?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Who will not be a Pacer next season?

I think DA retires, the injury almost demands it even if his heart doesn't.

I think depending on the minutes you see Rawle and Powell brought back. Of course if either see 700-800 minutes and show lots of struggles that could change things, but I think so far their promise remains. Baston and Saras seem certain to return next year.

If things go south I think the changes would involve the heavy-hitters first. However, right now things look on track to me so I don't see this as an issue.

I think the bigger question is who will not be a Pacer this season?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Wayyyyyyyyy too early to give a reasonable answer to this question IMO.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Way too early to say. Management may even want to rethink some things and build more in mind with what we are, not what we are not. (Once they know what we have better by later in the season... or season's end).

And then what are some of the contract scenarios? Who's locked up and who has options?

And does DW retire? If so, does that paralyze us (at least temporarily by the new front office wanting to go slow before diving in headfirst) or does it open up the auction barn door? ...Or does it not change a thing?

I still see this season as a transition year.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

1..2..3.. lil old blue sportsmusicxboxpacer's Avatar

If someone leaving it going be DA for sure since it been said it his last year..

but i want keep JO and Danny at all cost... everyone else work on there games...
    IF YOU A PACER FAN DONT BASH TO THE PACERS..!!!!!

Leisure Suit Larry

I let Larry make those decisions.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

the way tonights game panned out...and if things stay the way they are...i wouldn't be suprised if some of us wouldn't be a Pacer next season....

Banned

David Harrison is gone,

watch

Banned

David Harrison is gone,

watch

Mood

Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by denyfizle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reggie Miller
    he's retiring~!?NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Banned

I predict Fred Jones won't be a Pacer next season. Here's a story on Fred from today's paper in Portland:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...530.xml&coll=7

Address changes, purpose remains
    Barlow's Fred Jones keeps helping others even as he settles in with the Raptors
    Sunday, December 24, 2006
    MIKE TOKITO

Fred Jones sat in the visiting locker room at the Rose Garden on Friday 90 minutes before his team, the Toronto Raptors, would play the Trail Blazers.

He had about 60 tickets, some for friends and family, and others for youngsters who would attend the game through his charitable foundation. Jones sat there calmly, sorting them.

In many ways, the chore was a fitting symbol for Jones' 2006-07 season. In his fifth NBA season, Jones -- a 6-foot-2 former Barlow High School and University of Oregon guard -- is in his first season with the Raptors, trying to remain centered while sorting the transition's many challenges.

"I'm finally starting to feel comfortable," said Jones, who scored 12 points in the Raptors' 101-100 overtime victory. "It'll be all right. It'll be fine."

Two nights before, Jones had scored a season-high 23 points in a win over the Los Angeles Clippers. But in the previous four games, he totaled 14 points. That has been Jones' pattern this season, going through stretches of double-figure scoring games followed by games where he has struggled to make shots. After averaging 14.5 points in eight exhibition games, Jones is averaging 9.6 points and shooting 39.2 percent from the field in the regular season.

"It was up in the preseason, it's been down during the season, and now hopefully it's on the way back up," Jones said.

Raptors coach Sam Mitchell -- who like Blazers coach Nate McMillan is trying to rebuild a losing team with a crop of new players -- started Jones in nine games in November. Jones, however, shot 32 percent as a starter and he has come off the bench since Dec. 1 (he is shooting 43.8 percent coming off the bench).

Mitchell told Toronto media that Jones' shooting percentage and scoring aren't a major concern.

"Maybe he is doing something on the court that's helping us in other areas," Mitchell said. "You guys look at field-goal percentage, I look at the defense, the rebounding, being where he's supposed to be, all those other things."

For his part, Jones refused to blame the change of scenery or his place in the Raptors' rotation for his shooting struggles.

"I just haven't played well," Jones said. "I put that on me."

It's been a tumultuous year for Jones. He spent his first four NBA seasons with the Indiana Pacers, who at times seemed on the verge of becoming serious title contenders, and at other times seemed the most controversial team in the league, especially after their infamous 2004 brawl with the Detroit Pistons.

In late June, the Pacers tendered a qualifying offer to Jones, which made him a restricted free agent, meaning Indiana had the right to match any team's offer, and making it likely Jones would remain with the Pacers. However, in mid-July, after two weeks of the free agent signing period had passed, the Pacers rescinded the offer. Instead of remaining with the Pacers, Jones signed a three-year, $11 million contract with the Raptors.

"I couldn't control what Indiana does," Jones said. "They made a decision. They went in a different direction. I'm happy with my situation."

Jones, in fact, says he feels the Raptors style of play is a better fit for the high-flying athleticism that helped him win the 2004 NBA slam dunk contest. Indiana focused on running its offense through center Jermaine O'Neal, whereas Toronto plays a more uptempo style.

"Definitely, it's a better fit," Jones said. "I just have to learn how to get back into that system. I played in that system in college, and then to be shackled with stuff in Indiana for four years, you have to re-adjust and re-learn how to play that style."

Jones has started becoming active in his new professional hometown. Earlier this season, he held a bowling event for a group of single-parent Toronto families. It was an extension of Jones' faith-based charitable efforts grounded in the New Hope Missionary Baptist Church in North Portland, where he spent his Sundays as a youngster.

"I've started doing some things in Toronto, but Portland is home," Jones said. "This is where we started doing everything."

Indeed, on Thursday, Jones was at the University of Oregon's Duck Shop in downtown Portland for a toy drive and autograph signing. This summer, he was host of the Freddie Jones Summer Slam, a two-day event that included sports and music and raised money for his foundation. Many of his efforts help single-parent families, a cause he was inspired to take up after watching his older sister, Mickie, a single mother, raise his nephew Dustin, now 16.

For Jones, his charitable efforts and the peace he seeks to take on his professional challenges are rooted in the same place. If the Pacers didn't want him and the Raptors did, there is a reason, he said.

"I believe in God, I believe this is the situation he wanted me to be in," Jones said. "He would never put me in a situation I couldn't handle. This is his plan, this is where he wanted me."

I was thinking of JO not being here next season, didn't he make a promise or something?
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!