Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Under The Radar Players You'd Like To See in Indiana?

Banned

Default Under The Radar Players You'd Like To See in Indiana?

Ok no more A.I. talk. Maggette probably wont happen. So who are some under-the-radar players you'd like to see in Indiana? Looking back at our recent history, our best moves have been stealing under utilized youngsters from other teams and turning them into stars. We stole Jalen Rose from Denver and he was arguably our best player from 98-2000, including the Finals team. We stole JO from Portland, he is of course our franchise player. And we practically stole Artest and Brad Miller from Chicago once Jalen Rose became overpaid and a bit of a *****. I thought Marquis could've been next in line, but stubborn Carlisle doesnt play him nearly enough, so I guess not. So who are some players around the league who you think could be the next dud-to-stud for the Pacers to steal away and help lead us to our next period of greatness?

My 3 choices.....

Rashad McCants, SG, Wolves - This guy had a really good rookie season. He allegedly had a questionable attitude coming into the league, but he can ball so thats all I care about. He had surgery in the offseason but should be back within weeks according to ESPN.com. He could be our SG of the present and the future, but I doubt Minnesota is in any hurry to trade him.

Sean May, PF, Bobcats - Really good big man. Nice scorer with a soft touch and a hell of a rebounder. He's better than Brad Miller and a hell of a lot younger, not to mention he's not massively overpaid like Brad. I don't know if Charlotte is willing to let him go, but he'd be a nice sidekick for JO.

Sebastian Telfair, PG, Celtics - Boston has approx. 400 point guards, so you'd figure one or two would be movable. Telfair hasn't done much thus far, but he's still extremely young with some nice upside. He'd be a gamble, but then again so was JO, and he turned out ok.

Sports Logo

Default Re: Under The Radar Players You'd Like To See in Indiana?

The only one that maybe attainable is Telfair....but I would much rather have Delonte....I'm not impressed by what Telfair has done. He seems to be more flash then substance. Delonte reminds me more of a poor-man's Jason Kidd.

McCants will likely be the TWolves starting SG of the future....and given the liklihood that KG will be gone.....he's one of their building blocks.

May showed real signs of what he was capable of when Primoz went down with injury. On top of that....given one of the main reasons why he was drafted from the Bobcats....cuz of his ties to UNC and the local fanbase...he's likely unattainable.

A player off the top of my head that could possibly be had ( if we are lucky ) is Ike Diogu. I think that he could be had if we offered the right pieces to attain him. But if he could be had.....I would only do it if Carlisle wasn't our coach. I think that he could blossom into a very solid low-post threat....but only under the right circumstances ( given minutes to develop, the right coach to teach him, etc. ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought this player could be Quis (no offense to you ) Unfortunately he has been a little disappointing but I hope he can still bring it around. I'd have to think on this for a while but off the top of my head I would say I would do a lot to try to get Devin Harris in a Pacers uni.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I like the following players:

David Lee
    Andray Blatche
    Luther Head
    Johan Petro
    Shaun Livingston

If we could get one of these young players as throw-ins in a trade for some unwanted players of other teams (like Francis, Jamison, Howard, Fortson or Maggette) that would be sweet.
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking back at our recent history, our best moves have been stealing under utilized youngsters from other teams and turning them into stars. We stole Jalen Rose from Denver and he was arguably our best player from 98-2000, including the Finals team. We stole JO from Portland, he is of course our franchise player. And we practically stole Artest and Brad Miller from Chicago once Jalen Rose became overpaid and a bit of a *****.
    I gotta correct you from my memory. You're giving an EXTREMELY simplistic accounting of things.

We didn't STEAL Rose. Getting Rose was a miscalculation on our part, that we managed to rectify. We tried to get younger and gave up Mark Jackson to get him, thinking Travis Best could run the team.

He couldn't.

Jalen came to our team and was promptly benched. He didn't play D, was a hot-head and a bit of a problem child. The dreadsed bust word was even being used about Jalen. We basically got lucky that Larry Brown was able to pound it into his head that he needed to act like a pro, quick being a turnover machine and eventually he came around. After he left the Pacers, he reverted to form. NO steal there. That was LB's force of will.

It was such a non-steal that we had to scramble to get Mark back mid-season.

Rose later became a problem child again when he started sulking about Tinsley playing more PG than he was . In that STEAL, we got two solid years outta Jalen and had to get back a player we traded him for.

I see what you asking about hidden gems, but Jalen wasn't one of them, in my book.

As to under the radar players, I'll post what I wrote a few days ago:

Being realistic and not getting into multiple team scenarios, first name I would throw out there is Earl Watson. He's a pass first PG who can score, but has an emphasis on D. He's not top tier, but I think he's damn solid and obtainable, especially given what been going on with him in Seattle.

If it wasn't for Swift getting injured, I'd like to see us grab Petro, too.

In that same vein, another tandem whom I think is obtainable is Antonio Daniels and Brendan Heywood. AD is a tough defender and plays both SG and PG and would be a strong vet presence. I think Brendan may be one of those guys who needs a chance of scenery to pick things up, ala Chauncey Billups. Brendan is big, a shot blocker and has shown the ability to be a double digit scorer.

I also gotta think Melvin Ely is avaliable, but where is his head at?
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    In that same vein, another tandem whom I think is obtainable is Antonio Daniels and Brendan Heywood. AD is a tough defender and plays both SG and PG and would be a strong vet presence. I think Brendan may be one of those guys who needs a chance of scenery to pick things up, ala Chauncey Billups. Brendan is big, a shot blocker and has shown the ability to be a double digit scorer.
    That could be good... I'd go for that. Depending, as always, what we gave up.

Right on with the Jalen thing, though.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpolloloco View Post
    I like the following players:

David Lee
    Andray Blatche
    Luther Head
    Johan Petro
    Shaun Livingston

If we could get one of these young players as throw-ins in a trade for some unwanted players of other teams (like Francis, Jamison, Howard, Fortson or Maggette) that would be sweet.

If we wanted Livingston, we'd have to offer JO.

Alexander Johnson, the guy we traded to get James White (not to mention the extra pick or picks), would seem to be a decent fit for this team. We may look back at that deal & not care about the picks but give the rat's *** that we gave away Johnson for nothing...still too much remains to be seen, though...

Easy out

Quote Originally Posted by Easy View Post
    Alexander Johnson, the guy we traded to get James White (not to mention the extra pick or picks), would seem to be a decent fit for this team. We may look back at that deal & not care about the picks but give the rat's *** that we gave away Johnson for nothing...still too much remains to be seen, though...

Easy out
    I agree with this. I've asked myself this numerous times. Offensively, Johnson is probably already superior to Baston and Powell. And he's got size on both of them.

Alexander's been around 30 minutes per game the last three and producing about double digits each night plus some decent boardwork. I assume this is due to the Griz's injury struggles but it would appear this guy's got some skills to work with.

Of course James White's athleticism was appealing, but TPTB couldn't help telling us he was easily a 1st round pick. I interpreted that as being a significantly higher pick than where he was taken. If that's the case I can't see why he wasn't retained before Powell or Marshall.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    I see what you asking about hidden gems, but Jalen wasn't one of them, in my book.
    I do understand your argument and we surely did have to get back Mark Jackson to really make things work....so a Jalen for Jackson trade wasn't a "steal" per se.

But Jalen was one of the most important pieces of the only NBA Finals team in the history of the franchise....so the fact that we got Jalen for Jackson and then managed to get Jackson back too, without giving up much can certainly be regarded as at least a "coup".
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

melvin ely
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

Mickael Pietrus

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    Mickael Pietrus
    I agree.....I think that he could easily fit in as a "Bruce Bowen" type player.....he's a solid perimeter defender and can hit the 3pt shot as a 7th / 8th scoring option.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

artichokes

Hakim Warrick and Eddy Curry.

Sebastian Telfair. I love his game.

Ryan Gomes,Chris Wilcox,Mo Williams,Rasul Butler,DaSagana Diop

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

Anthony Johnson.
    Pacman Jones.
    Narf!

Quote Originally Posted by Robobtowncolt View Post
    Anthony Johnson.
    Pacman Jones.
    Dude I bet Pacman could play a mean point. He could get to the bucket like Iverson.

On my Christmas list are

Trevor Ariza
    Matt Harpring
    Luther Head
    Mikki Moore
    Quinton Ross
    Kyle Lowry
    Chris Duhon
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

I like the young guys we have, Quis needs some PT. I think once our home games catch up with our road games we will be fine. Our record improves to 6-7 games over .500. We are still one of the youngest teams (-armstrong) If Mngmt thinks we need to trade someone, the question is who? Most of the board has no respect for Jackson anymore and I doubt you could get fair trade value. Jax has played pretty well this year for the most part, outstanding defense. Tinsley has played better as of late. Where would a Telfair find PT. I think the most likely move would be a 2-1 involving Harrison + someone for a center thats reliable.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

mmm...

Jackie Butler (Spurs)
    Mo Williams ( Bucks)
    Earl Watson (Sonics)
    Elson (Spurs)
    Knight (Bobcats)
    Petro (Sonics)

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I know he's not "under the radar" but some of the guys that are sitting around on the bench going to waste in chicago but fat chance the pacers get someone within their own division. I'd like for us to get Ben Gordon or Seflosha off the Bulls too bad that old ignorant GM of theirs isn't still around Pacers can't go to that well any longer. Although the Atlanta Hawks (A.k.A our developmental league team) is still open, and their GM is still an idiot. But question is...do we really wanna get ourselves involved with that headache again?

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    On my Christmas list are

Trevor Ariza
    Matt Harpring
    Luther Head
    Mikki Moore
    Quinton Ross
    Kyle Lowry
    Chris Duhon
    Dude Trevor Ariza? Are you serious? This guy is horrible, I have not seen someone so horrible on the offensive end in my life. This guy has no clue. He is pretty good on defense but still not worth it IMO. Those other guys you named are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    Dude Trevor Ariza? Are you serious? This guy is horrible, I have not seen someone so horrible on the offensive end in my life. This guy has no clue. He is pretty good on defense but still not worth it IMO. Those other guys you named are pretty good.
    I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy in the country that thinks this guy is gonna be pretty good. Most likely result is that I'm an idiot and there will never be a second member in the Trevor Ariza fan club, but what he lacks in a jumpshot, I think he'll learn to make up for in slashing. Also, dude can run the break like a gazelle and is good at finishing around the hoop. And his one-on-one D could be shutdown. I think he has the potential to turn into a Gerald Wallace/Josh Smith type, and at least be as good as Devean George/James Posey. If I was a betting man (and I am), I'd say his career will parallel Ruben Patterson (minus the spousal abuse, that is).

Plus, he just turned 21 and has never gotten any burn...Give him two years before you write him off totally.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Mo Peterson
    New Zealand's Number 1 Pacer Fan!! Visited Conseco Fieldhouse Feb 10 2006