Thread: MVP Rankings Thus Far

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Default MVP Rankings Thus Far

Race to the MVP - Overall Player Rankings
    1. Steve Nash, Phoenix
    PPGRPGAPGSPGBPGFG%FT%
    Last Week's Rank - 1 | All-Star Game: Fill out a ballot daily
    It has been more than a month since Nash and Co. have lost a game. The Suns have matched a franchise record with 14 consecutive victories since a 120-117 overtime loss to Utah on Nov. 18.

2. Carlos Boozer, Utah
    PPGRPGAPGSPGBPGFG%FT%
    Last Week's Rank - 2 | All-Star Game: Fill out a ballot daily
    With more than a quarter of the NBA season complete, it is obvious that Boozer's run towards the top of the player rankings is no fluke. He was selected as the Western Conference Player of the Week for the second time.

3. Yao Ming, Houston
    PPGRPGAPGSPGBPGFG%FT%
    Last Week's Rank - 3 | All-Star Game: Fill out a ballot daily
    With T-Mac out of the lineup, Yao has done exactly what an MVP candidate should do by stepping up his game. He has topped 30 points three times in a row and four of the past five games.

4. Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas
    PPGRPGAPGSPGBPGFG%FT%
    Last Week's Rank - 5 | All-Star Game: Fill out a ballot daily
    Dirk looked like he was playing HORSE (you do know how to play HORSE, right?) in the fourth quarter Monday against the Kings, going 5-for-5 from the floor. His final stats looked typical: 29 points, 13 rebounds and a Mavericks' victory.

5. Tim Duncan, San Antonio
    PPGRPGAPGSPGBPGFG%FT%
    Last Week's Rank - 4 | All-Star Game: Fill out a ballot daily
    The Spurs, who at 19-6 have the top record in the league, are 8-2 over their last 10 games, including four wins in a row. Duncan scored a season-low 11 on Thursday but bounced back with 21 points, nine rebounds and six assists two nights later.

6. Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers
    PPGRPGAPGSPGBPGFG%FT%
    Last Week's Rank - 6 | All-Star Game: Fill out a ballot daily
    No Lamar, no problem for Kobe and Co. KB24 (still feels weird writing that), has never been better than he was during the Lakers' most recent three games: 33 points, seven rebounds and four assists vs. Dallas; 53, 10 and eight vs. Houston; and 45, eight and 10 vs. the Wizards.

7. Kevin Garnett, Timberwolves
    PPGRPGAPGSPGBPGFG%FT%
    Last Week's Rank - 10 | All-Star Game: Fill out a ballot daily
    Despite two losses in a row, KG continues to play at his normal high level. Garnett is first among all Western Conference forwards in votes received (453,536) after the first returns in the 2007 NBA All-Star Balloting program.

8. LeBron James, Cleveland
    PPGRPGAPGSPGBPGFG%FT%
    Last Week's Rank - 7 | All-Star Game: Fill out a ballot daily
    Yes, his numbers across the board are outstanding, but is it me or did you expect a little more from LBJ this season?

9. Dwyane Wade, Miami
    PPGRPGAPGSPGBPGFG%FT%
    Last Week's Rank - 11 | All-Star Game: Fill out a ballot daily
    Which performance in the two games since the Finals MVP had dental surgery was more impressive -- 41 points, seven assists and five boards in a win over Memphis or 29 points, nine assists, five boards and the game-winner with 1.3 left in a victory against the Hornets?

10. Jason Kidd, New Jersey
    PPGRPGAPGSPGBPGFG%FT%
    12.98.89/51.60.3.399.827
    Last Week's Rank - 14 | All-Star Game: Fill out a ballot
    Kidd has four triple-doubles this month and 81 in his career. With six triple-doubles this season, that is more than the rest of the league combined. It's not supposed to be this easy.

Close But No Cigar (season averages)
    11. Carmelo Anthony (DEN): 31.6 PPG, 5.6 RPG, 4.1 APG
    12. Gilbert Arenas (WAS): 29.1 PPG, 4.2 RPG, 6.3 APG
    13. Paul Pierce (BOS): 26.6 PPG, 7.4 RPG, 4.3 APG
    14. Zach Randolph (POR): 25.4 PPG, 10.1 RPG, 1.7 APG
    15. Chauncey Billups (DET): 18.8 PPG, 2.9 RPG, 8.3 APG
    16. Dwight Howard (ORL): 17.1 PPG, 12.7 RPG, 1.9 BPG
    17. Shawn Marion (PHX): 19.7 PPG, 9.4 RPG, 2.0 SPG
    18. Chris Paul (NOH): 19.0 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 9.0 APG
    19. Deron Williams (UTA): 17.4 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 8.8 APG
    20. Elton Brand (LAC): 18.8 PPG, 9.7 RPG, 1.9 BPG

http://www.nba.com/features/player_rankings_061219.html by Maurice Brooks on NBA.com Posted Dec 19 2006 11:53AM

It ain't bad and it shows that Lebron ain't exactly performing up to par in the eyes of fans or Stern. He ignores W/L a little but the guy that wrote it is kind of fat. Any thoughts?
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Banned

Default Re: MVP Rankings Thus Far

Nash somehow is getting better and better. I agree with him being #1. I'd move Yao ahead of Boozer due to the fact that Carlos plays close to 0 defense. I'd also like ot see J.O. in the top 20, with the way hes played this year on both ends of the court he deserves it.

lmao @ Zach Randolph,Gilbert Arenas and Kevin Garnett,Paul Pierce and Wade. Yeah MVP on teams with losing records that works.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with Nash being up top. I think Boozer is gonna get hurt eventually and on top of that I don't think hes good enough to be put ahead of almost all the players on that list.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I also think Yao should be #2 and JO should be somewhere on that list, as he's averaging similar numbers to Howard and Brand, but averaging 1 block more than either of them, and also dishing more assists.

It's too bad Lebron didn't win last year because he definitely deserved it more than Nash (as did Dirk and Wade). I can't stomach the thought of Steve Nash winning another MVP, solely for the fact that he didn't deserve either of them. He's a top 3 point guard for sure, but the most valuable player two years running? Hardly.

Put it this way: Steve Nash has one more MVP award than Shaquille O'neal, one of the top 5 players of all time. Nash isn't even a top 5 point guard of all time.

This whole topic depresses me.

Also, Yao is my vote for MVP this year.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nash somehow is getting better and better. I agree with him being #1. I'd move Yao ahead of Boozer due to the fact that Carlos plays close to 0 defense. I'd also like ot see J.O. in the top 20, with the way hes played this year on both ends of the court he deserves it.
    word. zach is not mvp talk material. jo shouldve been in his place. melo sucker punched his chances away.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    It's too bad Lebron didn't win last year because he definitely deserved it more than Nash (as did Dirk and Wade). I can't stomach the thought of Steve Nash winning another MVP, solely for the fact that he didn't deserve either of them. He's a top 3 point guard for sure, but the most valuable player two years running? Hardly.

Put it this way: Steve Nash has one more MVP award than Shaquille O'neal, one of the top 5 players of all time. Nash isn't even a top 5 point guard of all time.

Most VALUABLE Player indicates how important a player is to a winning team. IOW, how ****ed would they be if he weren't on the team. The Sun's players and the team would not be the contenders they are without Steve Nash. He's a hell of a player; the best pg in the game right now.

The first year he won it was between him and Shaq and I thought it could have gone either way. Phoenix's ridiculous record and emergence of so many offensive juggernauts gave Nash the slight edge. Last year, it was between Kobe and Nash and I personally think it should have been Kobe since he established just how good he is and how screwed the Lakers would have been without him and Phil at the helm. Nash still won and I completely respected that.

Lebron doesn't even deserve the ridiculous foul calls he gets from the refs. Whether it's because the league is short on possible MVP's or what, Nash was certainly deserving and his award indicates how important a great point guard is. It would be strange for him to repeat but do you really see the league giving it to Carlos Boozer? I don't know if Yao is ready to be at that level either. Bird, Wilt, and Russell the only guys to three-peat; is Nash at that level? Probably not, but the NBA really isn't at that level.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Nash isn't even a top 5 point guard of all time.
    wow. so who is in your Top 5 PG of all time? Nash only needs a ring and I think he gonna get it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    Most VALUABLE Player indicates how important a player is to a winning team. IOW, how ****ed would they be if he weren't on the team. The Sun's players and the team would not be the contenders they are without Steve Nash. He's a hell of a player; the best pg in the game right now.

The first year he won it was between him and Shaq and I thought it could have gone either way. Phoenix's ridiculous record and emergence of so many offensive juggernauts gave Nash the slight edge. Last year, it was between Kobe and Nash and I personally think it should have been Kobe since he established just how good he is and how screwed the Lakers would have been without him and Phil at the helm. Nash still won and I completely respected that.

Lebron doesn't even deserve the ridiculous foul calls he gets from the refs. Whether it's because the league is short on possible MVP's or what, Nash was certainly deserving and his award indicates how important a great point guard is. It would be strange for him to repeat but do you really see the league giving it to Carlos Boozer? I don't know if Yao is ready to be at that level either. Bird, Wilt, and Russell the only guys to three-peat; is Nash at that level? Probably not, but the NBA really isn't at that level.
    My personal criteria for the MVP is pretty simple: most valuable to a team that has a legitimate chance to win a championship. Last year my MVP went to Dirk or Wade because only the Spurs, Mavs, Heat and Pistons were legit title contenders. The Suns only made the conference finals because of the wonky playoff format.

And if I was throwing that criteria out the window it would have been Lebron, simply because he put up 30-7-7 and took a team of absolute scrubs to 50 wins and almost beat the Pistons singlehandedly.

Don't get me wrong, I love Steve Nash's game and I always go see the Suns play when I visit my brother in Phoenix, but I can't understand the media obsession with him. He's been a top 3 point guard the last three years and the few years before that a pretty good one. But at no time has he made the impact that astounds me. Could Jason Kidd or Chris Paul run the Suns almost as well? I think so.

As for Yao, for the second half of last season and this season so far he's been an absolute beast. I think because he looks so clumsy when he plays his game is underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by caaprius View Post
    wow. so who is in your Top 5 PG of all time? Nash only needs a ring and I think he gonna get it this year.
    Oscar Robertson, John Stockton, Magic, Bob Cousy, Isiah Thomas.

That's my top 5, although I have a lot more ahead of Nash. Jerry West, Gary Payton, Tiny Archibald, some others that I can't think of now.

Nash has been good to great the last three years and before that a top 10 point guard, but he hasn't put up the numbers consistently to merit being a top 5 point guard. Maybe top 10 if he continues putting up these numbers for another 2 or 3 years and gets a ring or two.

Edit: I forgot Walt Frazier! He's for sure in that top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by caaprius View Post
    Stockton had better assist average in 9 seasons than Nash in his MVP seasons . I am not even talking about steals. Just shows how good and underrated point guard Stockton was, yet he never was mentioned as MVP. All this Nash - MVP crap is just NBA conspiracy.
    And yes, Nash is not even worth mentioning for top 5 point guards for all time.

Oscar Robertson, John Stockton, Magic, Bob Cousy, Isiah Thomas.

That's my top 5, although I have a lot more ahead of Nash. Jerry West, Gary Payton, Tiny Archibald, some others that I can't think of now.

Nash has been good to great the last three years and before that a top 10 point guard, but he hasn't put up the numbers consistently to merit being a top 5 point guard. Maybe top 10 if he continues putting up these numbers for another 2 or 3 years and gets a ring or two.

Edit: I forgot Walt Frazier! He's for sure in that top 10.
    Jason Kidd

Quote Originally Posted by Calgary Jazz View Post
    Jason Kidd
    Dang, I knew I forgot someone. Two Finals appearances, a near MVP (lost to Duncan), always a good defender and only averaged less than 8 assists once in his career (rookie season, where he barely missed it).

Kidd has played at a high level for far longer than Nash and when you rank best ever you have to consider how long they were great. Kidd has been great for years, Nash for a considerably shorter amount of time.

Kinda funny to think that for a time, Phoenix had Kevin Johnson, Jason Kidd, and Steve Nash on the same team. Talk about your guard play.

Hard to grasp that JO, playing as he is at the moment is not in that top 10, seems only high scoring counts, not the Reb, Ast, Bs and "all round play".

Jo has been an animal on both sides of the court this season, hard to understand that people don't translate that in anything.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    Hard to grasp that JO, playing as he is at the moment is not in that top 10, seems only high scoring counts, not the Reb, Ast, Bs and "all round play".

Jo has been an animal on both sides of the court this season, hard to understand that people don't translate that in anything.
    Seems like a lot of fans don't realize how hard it is to be a two-way player at a high level in this league.

But these "lists" are supposed to be made by "ppl in the know", that's what amazes me most, how can you even talk about an MVP and not talk about a guy who avgs 19+ 10+ 4+A and 3+B who is also whispered about as a DOY "candidate" ?

As I said, simply beyond me.

What matters most IMO is the team's record. The .500 Pacers shouldn't be able to offer anyone for MVP candidacy.

I agree that there are others on that list that shouldn't qualify either.

To the matter at hand - Steve Nash is currently the best PG in the NBA. On top of that - he's the most dominant player on the court whenever he's playing. The Suns offense is light years ahead of any other offense in the league, and it's mostly due to Nash. His overall effect on the NBA style of play in the past 3 seasons can be compared to the effect of the great ones, and maybe even more.

I'm convinced that Steve Nash is the biggest difference-maker currently playing. He would improve any team you put him on (yes, even Charlotte...) more than any other player - and IMO - that's the real definition of MVP.

See, the thing is that you can't look at it from a general point of view. You can't think about the fact that Shaq only has one MVP when voting for Nash. He deserved his first year for simply getting them to where they hadn't been since the Barkley years. Then his second year he lost 3/5 of his starting lineup. Didn't skip a beat. Back to 50+ wins, back to the WCF. This year he's helped them to 15 wins in a row. Can you fathom that? The Pacers struggle to win back-to-backs and I don't think we've won three in a row all year long. Well, Phoenix has won 15 in a row while incorporating an out of shape Diaw and a still recovering Amare into their lineup, without key guy Tim Thomas. There is no question of who the MVP so far is. Yao? Please. It doesn't matter how many times he's won it. All that matters is this season and this season, the man has been unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by NPFII View Post
    What matters most IMO is the team's record. The .500 Pacers shouldn't be able to offer anyone for MVP candidacy.

I agree that there are others on that list that shouldn't qualify either.
    hmm more then a few if that was really a consideration, despite the Pacers having an above .500 record at the moment(.519).

(I counted 7 or 8 players from teams with .500 or less)

Yao should be getting 12+ rpg by accident for chrissakes.

There are times I wish they had two major awards. Most valuable player and a separate award for most outstanding player. MVP and MOP. My only worry about that is I fear it would lessen what MVP award means. When you think about the award it is the most important because it takes into effect the impact a player has on his team and the impact he has on his team winning.

I would never vote for anyone as MVP unless they are on one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the league - I mean how valuable can a plyer really be if his team is only winning 50% of their games.

hmm more then a few if that was really a consideration, despite the Pacers having an above .500 record at the moment(.519).

(I counted 7 or 8 players from teams with .500 or less)
    Sorry, but for me being a game over .500 at this stage is practically a .500 team. I'm willing to raise the bar and say that I wouldn't consider any player to be an MVP unless his team is doing .600 or more.
    From my point of view, even if you scored 50 ppg, had 20 apg, and 20 rpg, but your team loses 70% of the time - you're not an MVP. Not even a candidate.

Only candidates IMO are from above .600 teams, or from teams that made deep playoff runs - CF & Finals.

You can scratch those 7-8 players. They may be good players, but obviously they're not leading their teams to anything... kinda like JO.

Just give it about 20 more games. We'll be around 28-19, and if Jermaine's still playing as good as he is now he will be a top 10 candidate. This is easily the best he's ever played.