Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on an HDTV

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Need advice on an HDTV

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see that LG has released a dvd player that will do both HD and BRay formats plus upconvert. Only a small amount at $1,200 dolars and with both formats movies pushing the $25 to $30 dollar range is there really any reason to wait?
    Yeah, I saw that. Pretty cool. Of course, I already have a PS3, so I was going to slowly start upgrading to Blu-Ray anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    Hey shade, I hear Toshiba makes a great HDTV
    I heard they made great laptops too.

Just for that, after I burn down the (Toshiba) building, I'm coming over to your house and burning it down too. Right after I leave the mangled Toshiba laptop on your doorstep with a knife through it and a note that reads "You."

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I actually went to Wal-Mart and took a look at the Sanyo, but the picture seemed slightly blurry to me compared to the models that were only $100-200 more expensive.

Listen to Bball, not me. But I've always found that at Wal-Mart the picture always looks bad. Unless Wal-Mart recently changed, I don't believe they get an HD signal

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Listen to Bball, not me. But I've always found that at Wal-Mart the picture always looks bad. Unless Wal-Mart recently changed, I don't believe they get an HD signal

Well, I mean the other HDTVs displayed right next it were notiably clearer, and many of them were not that much more expensive (still out of my price range, though ).

Well, I mean the other HDTVs displayed right next it were notiably clearer, and many of them were not that much more expensive (still out of my price range, though ).
    Shade - I must admit I don't really know what I'm talking about, I should really just stay out of it. But does Wal-Mart get an HD signal. If they do, do they have all their HD TV's getting an HD signal. Seems to me if I wanted to sell a certain TV I'd give that TV an HD signal and the TV I didn't want to sell I wouldn't.

I'm not sure if they get an HD signal, but they had either a DVD or HD-DVD/Blu-Ray playing in their TVs, and the picture quality was jaw-dropping. It is a substantial improvement over SDTVs.

My advice - stay the hell away from anything made by LG. I had two of their LCD 37" TV's go bad in 5 months and 3 of their cellphones go bad in 18 months.

So anyways, I'm getting a Phillips 37" as my latest replacement. To the credit of Best Buy, they have taken care of me very well in this time of LG frustration.

Would the best time to buy an HDTV be right before or right after the Super Bowl? I've got $600 in the pool now, so I'm just biding my time until the best opportunity.

Would the best time to buy an HDTV be right before or right after the Super Bowl? I've got $600 in the pool now, so I'm just biding my time until the best opportunity.

I would guess that right after the Super Bowl. Demand will be lower then. However, there will be a lot of sales prior to the Super Bowl so you might get a better deal on a specific brand prior to the Super Bowl. But across the board I would think prices should drop after the Colts win the championship

So in other words I really don't know. But it is an interesting question

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Don't forget that LG is the old GoldStar, not exactly a "quality" brand, just proof that with a marketing budget and shelf space at BestBuy, people will buy it.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    Don't forget that LG is the old GoldStar, not exactly a "quality" brand, just proof that with a marketing budget and shelf space at BestBuy, people will buy it.
    But, don't forget that LG is also the old Zenith who did have some great products especially their component upconvert DVD players.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I would guess that right after the Super Bowl. Demand will be lower then. However, there will be a lot of sales prior to the Super Bowl so you might get a better deal on a specific brand prior to the Super Bowl. But across the board I would think prices should drop after the Colts win the championship

So in other words I really don't know. But it is an interesting question
    I would think the opposite. I would think before because you could get whatever deal is going on (best buy just sent me 2 coupouns, one 10% off, one 20 and one 30) plus most places are guarenteeing the TV for the SB.

I just found the store within the last year, but Crutchfield seems to have good deals from time to time. Might be worth checking them out.

Random Sidenote: I just had a hardcore DejaVu moment

I heard they made great laptops too.

Just for that, after I burn down the (Toshiba) building, I'm coming over to your house and burning it down too. Right after I leave the mangled Toshiba laptop on your doorstep with a knife through it and a note that reads "You."
    Oh don't worry, I have a Toshiba Repairman waiting at my door to defend the castle! I've been keeping him here instead of working on your laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post

It sounds so simple.... but it's never really so simple...

It goes deeper. I wouldn't be casting off LG has a problem brand these days (And I know Goldstar was a budget brand but I don't know if they had any problems in any greater numbers than anyone else). They apparently worked to overcome that reputation besides with just a marketing campaign.

For those people who'd never buy an LG piece of electronics, I hope you don't have a Sony or Hughes Directv HD receiver... cuz guess who made those? You just don't know who might've made something these days that someone else put their name on.

I don't know who is making the current Directv branded receivers tho. It could be all LG for all I know at this point.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

The best time to buy any electronics is when you need it or want it bad enough. It will (most) ALWAYS get cheaper if you wait. But then if you just keep waiting, you aren't sitting at home enjoying it.

There's a point of diminishing returns when it comes to waiting.

Personally, watching the SB in HD is reason enough to wait no longer than to make sure to have the TV for that. Don't forget about delivery time, out of stock, and any cable upgrade issues. Nothing could be more frustrating than to wait until the last minute and then find the set you want is out of stock or the delivery schedule is all filled up.

Plus you might want to give yourself time to experiment with the rabbit ears and read the forums for tech advice rather than scrambling to get the everything working as the big game is about to start.

----

By the way.... Don't let a few dollars separate you from the set you really prefer. Buy once, cry once.

Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Hey guys, is there a difference between an HDTV and an HD-ready TV? If not, why are some advertised as one or the other?

Hey guys, is there a difference between an HDTV and an HD-ready TV? If not, why are some advertised as one or the other?
    HD Ready means it doesn't have a built-in HD tuner so any HD you watch on it will have to be via an external tuner, cable box, or satellite box (or Blu Ray HD-DVD, etc....). It can't pick up any over-the-air HD broadcasts on its own without that external tuner.

HDTV could mean either it does or doesn't have a digital (HD) tuner (ATSC tuner). It doesn't necessarily mean it does have a tuner ...unlike HD Ready which means it certainly -does not- have a built-in HD tuner.

They are both more marketing terms than anything. Neither makes the set bad per se'. OTOH, if you KNOW you want a builtin HD tuner then you don't want a set that is "HD Ready" (And you still need to check on whether a set marketed as "HDTV" has a builtin ATSC tuner or not).

I feel I'm not making that clear... hopefully you follow.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Shade, I concur with Bball on this. The only way I would currently go with an HD READY television (which I do have one) is because the deal is just unbelievable. No matter what you're going to need some type of tuner whether it's a cable or dish box or over the air box (around $200). Might as well already have it built in.

Back to HD ready. I could see going that route if you found a good size rear projection unit for cheap. I swear my old rear projection Mitsubishi at times looks better than my year old plasma.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just bought this TV (built in tuner)...... http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5303855
    ...and the picture is incredible! Using an amplified indoor antenna I was able to pick up several digital (HD) signals. I had it sitting side by side with my 50" Mitsubishi standard definition TV...and the difference was astounding! Oh, and my xbox 360 looked 10 times better on it too. Anyways, good luck on the hunt for one Shade.....just thought I would share this.

You may want to consider this one......
    http://www.dtvcity.com/panasonic-pla...th103pf9uk.php
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    You may want to consider this one......
    http://www.dtvcity.com/panasonic-pla...th103pf9uk.php
    That cuts it, forum party at Shade's!!!
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I plan to buy one this week. Any final suggestions from anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by bluejrdn5 View Post
    Just bought this TV (built in tuner)...... http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5303855
    ...and the picture is incredible! Using an amplified indoor antenna I was able to pick up several digital (HD) signals. I had it sitting side by side with my 50" Mitsubishi standard definition TV...and the difference was astounding! Oh, and my xbox 360 looked 10 times better on it too. Anyways, good luck on the hunt for one Shade.....just thought I would share this.
    That's pretty impressive. All I want is a 32" LCD, and I've said I'm going to wait until I can get a good one at $500. That's as close as I've seen.

Anybody have experience with the Sylvania brand?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I plan to buy one this week. Any final suggestions from anyone?
    Dont spend a lot of money, and enjoy me over to watch a few games.

On the real, enjoy the TV

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Dont spend a lot of money, and enjoy me.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731