Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on an HDTV

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

Default Re: Need advice on an HDTV

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even I'm distrubed by that, and heck, I **** sheep.
    Narf!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Shade, I have the same brand of HDTV as that one, it's just a 26", I think.

It's pretty nice, and I have had no problems with mine. I haven't actually watched any HD programming though.

I'm going to have to buy one of those attenna things to pick up the Super Bowl.

Any advice on those, guys?
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

You'll need at least a 1080i Television if you want to take advantage of Blu Ray movies on the PS3.

I went ahead and snagged the Olevia. Now I just need some component (or HDMI) cables and an antenna and I should be good to go for Sunday.

And tora, this model supposedly supports up to 1080i resolution.

And tora, this model supposedly supports up to 1080i resolution.
    You sure? Spec says 720p.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Circuit City
    Compatibility: This TV is compatible with 1080i/720p/480p/480i digital programming.
    Not sure if thats means it will work with the PS3 tho because it says "digital programming" and i don;t know what that means. lol
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

It sounds like Shade's TV takes a 1080i signal and scales it to 720p. That means that 720p is the native resolution. Put a 720p signal into it and it does nothing but display it. No scaling/downscaling necessary.

I guess I should go read the specs myself rather than just base this answer off the comments I am reading.

In any case, I think Shade is probably a happy camper with his new TV and will wonder how come he waited so long!

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Bah, I tried several different antenna connections and couldn't get the HD signal to work. Guess I'll have to get the cable package...if my damn service provider can finally get the regular service working on a consistent basis. They've only been out to look at it about 9 times so far.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I went ahead and snagged the Olevia.
    It probably goes without saying, but make sure you fill out and send in all your warranty and registration cards (or do it online if they permit) and keep the original box if you can.

I have a friend who got an Olevia, and it went kaput suddenly. I read all kinds of nasty things (shoddy construction) about Olevia on the web, but they did replace the unit promptly and there have been no more issues.

in terms of resolution for HD, 1080i is what you want for Xbox 360. Ideally for PS3, you want a native 1080p input, which is currently very, very expensive.

I'm having a little trouble with my TV. My standard DVDs seem to be a bit...grainy. The one Blu-Ray I have is pretty clean, though.

NBA2K7 is also kind of "wavy", while Resistence plays just fine.

I have component cables, just 'cause HDMI's are so expensive right now.

Still, it's weird.

I'm having a little trouble with my TV. My standard DVDs seem to be a bit...grainy. The one Blu-Ray I have is pretty clean, though.

Still, it's weird.
    It's time to blow it up.
    Narf!

Shade,

You need to give up on anything electronic. You have the worst luck. I think someone in another one of the threads suggested an amish life for you. You might should give that a try.

Or at the very least, since you always want to blow things up, go Unabomber on us and live in a shack out in the woods with nothing electric and mumbling something about blowing up the damn pacers and colts all the time.

Still, it's weird.
    FWIW:
    Parts Express
    www.parts-express.com
    HDMI Cables
    1 meter = 15.14
    Part #181-730

2 meter = 17.95
    3 meter = 24.97

----

I'm not suggesting the HDMI cable would or would not have anything to do with your problems. But it would appear you've been reading/hearing some snake oil 'sale's speak' regarding HDMI cables. Those cables you see for 80.00, 90.00, 100.00 and more dollars are designed to separate you from your money, not give you a better picture.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

flattvdirect.com
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Still, it's weird.
    The HDMI might help. I've heard a lot of HD owners mention that standard definition signals in HD often are a little fuzzy/cruddy, simply because they put a lot more effort/time into the HD portion of the set. Or, it could be a bum set. I'd go buy Bball's cheap cables, and if it still looks bad, send it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    FWIW:
    Parts Express
    www.parts-express.com
    HDMI Cables
    1 meter = 15.14
    Part #181-730

2 meter = 17.95
    3 meter = 24.97

----

I'm not suggesting the HDMI cable would or would not have anything to do with your problems. But it would appear you've been reading/hearing some snake oil 'sale's speak' regarding HDMI cables. Those cables you see for 80.00, 90.00, 100.00 and more dollars are designed to separate you from your money, not give you a better picture.

-Bball
    Holy spit, that's cheap. The HDMI's I found run $80-$190.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Holy spit, that's cheap. The HDMI's I found run $80-$190.
    That's the world of "high end" for you. Only in this world could a block of wood or a plastic outlet cover fetch $50 to "improve" your system.

I don't have a PS3 yet, but I would look at using a regular DVD player to the TV and compare with what the PS3 sends (if this is what you meant you were using). Could be the PS3 upconversion just isn't that good and that the TV will do better.

Sorry guys but you will notice a difference between a cheap hdmi and one that is actually decent build quality. Cables are inducers. They are only going to damage the picture quality. The cheaper you go the cheaper the materials they use to build it which in turn cause more noise or distortion. This may be fine to some people but if you are running 1080p and you just spent 600 bucks on a ps3 then why not hook it up the correct way. Look at the different cables from Audioquest the HDMI 1 and the HDMI X. 120 Bucks but it upgrades you to silver in your cable which is a better conductor for High quality HD signal.

Also the grainyness and wavy lines might be from a ground loop caused by your power. You may check ebay for some of the monster power or Panamax strips that filter noise. These make a TON of difference in the performance. If you are tight on money I would say keep it hooked up with component and buy one of these. Retail they go for about 150 - 200 bucks so you should be able to find a used one for a good price. I cannot remember the basic monster one but the panamax one is the M8HCPRO. Its a nice piece that does a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by justinDOHMAN View Post
    Sorry guys but you will notice a difference between a cheap hdmi and one that is actually decent build quality. Cables are inducers. They are only going to damage the picture quality. The cheaper you go the cheaper the materials they use to build it which in turn cause more noise or distortion. This may be fine to some people but if you are running 1080p and you just spent 600 bucks on a ps3 then why not hook it up the correct way. Look at the different cables from Audioquest the HDMI 1 and the HDMI X. 120 Bucks but it upgrades you to silver in your cable which is a better conductor for High quality HD signal.
    Nope...

If you spend 120.00 for an HDMI cable you just wasted money.

All this talk about cheaper materials gets a little silly. Exactly how cheap can the materials go? Or how expensive for that matter? And I'm not arguing for 'cheap' cables... I'm arguing against 'overpriced' cables. Grossly overpriced as a matter of fact.

It gets pretty obvious pretty quickly just by looking whether a cable is well made or not. After that it's all snake oil.

The cables I mentioned above are perfectly fine and anyone that spends more has simply been hoodwinked by marketing claims.

But let's look deeper...

Since you are claiming a difference in picture quality with HDMI cables I will speak to that:

It's digital. On/off. It either works or it doesn't. Your picture will be the same no matter what you spend for the cables. That's where this debate really gets funny with people claiming to see a difference. There is no difference to see when dealing in the digital domain. Unless you see tiling, pixelating, or a black screen your cable is doing its job. There's no more improvement to be made. It can't. And nobody ever comes at it from the angle of a pixelation issue (which would just be a bad cable and can happen whether it's a 20.00 cable or a 200.00 cable), they claim there's some quality difference in the picture. Impossible. It's not even debatable. It is what it is. End of story.

These audiophile cable companies have dealt in snake oil for a long time. Some of their claims are laughable right up front. Some of the claims are correct but aren't any different from any other cable except the other company isn't hyping things. But regardless of any of that, we're talking digital cables now (insert Allen Iverson voice). Digital cables. Digital signals. Box A tells Box B (Television) what to do to make a picture. If there is a working picture then the cable did its job. The picture won't wash out or ghost or get fuzzy because we're in the digital domain. If the tv is making a picture, and that picture has no pixelation, then that's it.

I work with this stuff all the time and nothing makes me madder than seeing someone waste money they didn't have to spend on grossly overpriced cables sold on snakeoil and marketing speak. Use the money to buy a better TV, or HT sound system, or some extra DVD's to watch on the system.

Don't buy the snake oil!!!

When we're talking analog cables there are subjective differences but when we're talking digital cables there are no subjective differences. This is not debatable.

Also the grainyness and wavy lines might be from a ground loop caused by your power. You may check ebay for some of the monster power or Panamax strips that filter noise. These make a TON of difference in the performance. If you are tight on money I would say keep it hooked up with component and buy one of these. Retail they go for about 150 - 200 bucks so you should be able to find a used one for a good price. I cannot remember the basic monster one but the panamax one is the M8HCPRO. Its a nice piece that does a great job.
    A ground loop is possible but you'd see the symptoms on every DVD. And I can't imagine how it wouldn't show up on every game as well...since we're talking the same playback device.

There are cheaper ways to break a groundloop, especially if you need to verify that is what you're seeing before you plunk down money on a filter like these.

------

-John Wooden

Bball is my hero when it comes to this stuff.

I've tested a bargain basement tru-qwest ($12.00) HDMI 6ft cable (Big lots), a Phillips ($24.00) 6ft cable (Walmart) and a Monster Cable 300 series ($90.00) from (CCity). Not one iota difference in picture quality so the lower price won out. I'm running a Panasonic upcovert DVD player via HDMI to a 42 inch Samsung plasma.

Now if were talking longer runs then I have to consider a upgrade once we get near the 12ft mark.

When it comes to wavy lines it could be several things including other electrical items turning off and on in your home. Some simple steps to at least eliminate other possibilities is make sure the cables running behind your tv and player are not a jumbled mess. If your running a surround sound system are your speakers shielded?

As Bball pointed out if your using analog cables then a slight upgrade in cable quality can make a difference depending on the shielding in the cables being used.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

I'm totally confused now. What kind of oil should I be using with my new 109 inch flat screen? Olive? Peanut?
    Narf!

Quote Originally Posted by Robobtowncolt View Post
    I'm totally confused now. What kind of oil should I be using with my new 109 inch flat screen? Olive? Peanut?
    Canola.

Btw, I figured out the problem with my games. For whatever reason, when I exited the settings on my PS3, it automatically swtiched back to 480p. I set it back to 1080i, then 720p, and both work properly.

My movies still don't look as good as I'd like them too, though. But maybe that's just because the PS3 is trying to upscale them too much. I'll have to try out a standard DVD player on it and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Nope...

If you spend 120.00 for an HDMI cable you just wasted money.

All this talk about cheaper materials gets a little silly. Exactly how cheap can the materials go? Or how expensive for that matter? And I'm not arguing for 'cheap' cables... I'm arguing against 'overpriced' cables. Grossly overpriced as a matter of fact.

It gets pretty obvious pretty quickly just by looking whether a cable is well made or not. After that it's all snake oil.

The cables I mentioned above are perfectly fine and anyone that spends more has simply been hoodwinked by marketing claims.

But let's look deeper...

Since you are claiming a difference in picture quality with HDMI cables I will speak to that:

It's digital. On/off. It either works or it doesn't. Your picture will be the same no matter what you spend for the cables. That's where this debate really gets funny with people claiming to see a difference. There is no difference to see when dealing in the digital domain. Unless you see tiling, pixelating, or a black screen your cable is doing its job. There's no more improvement to be made. It can't. And nobody ever comes at it from the angle of a pixelation issue (which would just be a bad cable and can happen whether it's a 20.00 cable or a 200.00 cable), they claim there's some quality difference in the picture. Impossible. It's not even debatable. It is what it is. End of story.

These audiophile cable companies have dealt in snake oil for a long time. Some of their claims are laughable right up front. Some of the claims are correct but aren't any different from any other cable except the other company isn't hyping things. But regardless of any of that, we're talking digital cables now (insert Allen Iverson voice). Digital cables. Digital signals. Box A tells Box B (Television) what to do to make a picture. If there is a working picture then the cable did its job. The picture won't wash out or ghost or get fuzzy because we're in the digital domain. If the tv is making a picture, and that picture has no pixelation, then that's it.

I work with this stuff all the time and nothing makes me madder than seeing someone waste money they didn't have to spend on grossly overpriced cables sold on snakeoil and marketing speak. Use the money to buy a better TV, or HT sound system, or some extra DVD's to watch on the system.

Don't buy the snake oil!!!

When we're talking analog cables there are subjective differences but when we're talking digital cables there are no subjective differences. This is not debatable.

A ground loop is possible but you'd see the symptoms on every DVD. And I can't imagine how it wouldn't show up on every game as well...since we're talking the same playback device.

There are cheaper ways to break a groundloop, especially if you need to verify that is what you're seeing before you plunk down money on a filter like these.
    You work with this stuff all the time? Im sorry I run a store that does 500k a month in HIGH end theater gear. Infront of my face I see 10 Lcd/Plasma Tv's that cost over 3000 dollars and a Pioneer Elite that retails for 8k with a 1500 dollar Pioneer elite bluray player on it. You can yell and scream about digital does not make a difference. I have nothing to lose here I live in dallas so I am not trying to sell anyone on this board anything. With high end gear YOU WILL NOTICE A DIFFERENCE. Infact I actually have a Mit WD65831 Diamond 1080p Setup Picture in Picture with 2 Pioneer elite DV46AV's on it. One with a HDMI 1 Cable from Audioquest and one with a ProSolutions Hdmi Cable on it. The prosolutions goes for about 65 bucks or so. So by your standards it would be a overpriced cable as well. YOU CAN SEE A DIFFERENCE. The blacks are darker the flesh tones are better, and do not even get me started on the Audio difference on the two. The difference is there if you do not want to belive it or not. Will you see it on a 29 dollar dvd player and a 800 dollar 50 inch dlp maybee not. But when you get into the higher quality merchandise you will notice a difference. Before you resond I want to know if you have seen the two side by side both hooked up with a high quality player to actually see the difference. BTW I am in no way saying you should buy the 100-200 dollar HDMI cables I am just simply stating there is a difference between the two. Many people could care less and would rather save 80 dollars or so which is fine.