Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on an HDTV

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Need advice on an HDTV

I'm thiking about taking my Christmas money and adding some of my own to get an HDTV for my PS3. However, I don't really know too much about HDTVs. I definitely want a built-in tuner, and $500 is the max I can spend on one. Any suggestions?
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Sports Logo

Default Re: Need advice on an HDTV

Don't buy one until after the super bowl. There are a lot of people who will buy one and return it then. You can also seem to get them cheap after thanksgiving.

Having an internal tuner is nice but the external tuners are coming down in price and things like DVD recorders are starting to have hd tuners in them.

Mainly try Sams club or Costco and ask if they have any display models or returns so you can maximize your money.

Now as far as the PS3 is concerned it will use the progressive resolution on your TV and not the interlaced. So for example if you get a 1080i but only 540p you will only get the 540p resolution. Try if at all possible to get a 1080p TV. If not at least make sure its 780p and 1080i since things like DirectTV, cable and Dish will pretty much all be 1080i.

The 780p (maybe its 740p) will still look pretty good but of course the very best would be the 1080p.

Hmm...maybe I should hold off on an HDTV until I can save up for a nice one. I still would like to upgrade my ancient TV, though. How much do standard flat-panel televisions go for these days? I would only need something around 27" or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmm...maybe I should hold off on an HDTV until I can save up for a nice one. I still would like to upgrade my ancient TV, though. How much do standard flat-panel televisions go for these days? I would only need something around 27" or so.
    About 500.00 on up.

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Ouch. Why pay that for a standard flat-panel when you can get an HDTV at roughly the same price?

Sports Logo

I don't know of any HDTV's with tuners for 500.

I got mine at Sam's for 700 but that was a returned or floor model. and its only 1080i. It does have a built in Tuner and is 7?0p capable. I love it you defiantly want one with a very clear screen. Some of them seem to have a mesh screen on them and don't look as good.

Shade, even in the lower price range and size stick with the reliable brand names like Panasonic, Sony, or Toshiba.

Do not be under the assumption you have to get LCD or plasma especially in the size you're looking at to be happy. There are some real bargains to be had with the plain crt tvs that's always been there.

This might do????

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsu...oductDetail.do
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Ouch. Why pay that for a standard flat-panel when you can get an HDTV at roughly the same price?
    Ohhhh I thought you meant flat panel HD prices... I thought when you said 'standard' you were talking about it just being a 27" HD instead of a big screen.

I wouldn't buy an SD set these days. Total waste of money. It's already obsolete.

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Shade, even in the lower price range and size stick with the reliable brand names like Panasonic, Sony, or Toshiba.

Do not be under the assumption you have to get LCD or plasma especially in the size you're looking at to be happy. There are some real bargains to be had with the plain crt tvs that's always been there.

This might do????

I think Westinghouse TV's are great too. I'm getting me a 22" Westy monitor this Christmas!!

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

The only thing you need to know: 1920x1200.

That's the resolution of true HD. If the resolution is anything other than that, the TV is resampling the images (and therefore blurring them. The reason they get away with calling them "HD" is that they can read and output the HD signal.

Once again: 1920 x 1200. The only information that matters.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

This might do????

Do the CRT HD tv's have the same quality pic. as the flat paneled ones? I would like to get one, but can't afford the prices of the plasma and LCD ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    The only thing you need to know: 1920x1200.

That's the resolution of true HD. If the resolution is anything other than that, the TV is resampling the images (and therefore blurring them. The reason they get away with calling them "HD" is that they can read and output the HD signal.

Once again: 1920 x 1200. The only information that matters.
    Don't you mean 1920x1080?

Most HDTV's in Shade's price range (more like all of them) won't meet that standard. The reason they get away with calling them HD is not just because they can read the signal tho.... it's because they can output them within the spec that is considered HD. I believe that is 1280x720 and that is still 'true HD'.

Not all HD that is broadcast is even 1920x1080 in the first place. IIRC Fox and ABC use 720p not 1080i. Nor is ESPN 1080i.

Some of the gaming consoles output 720p for HD too.

Directv downrezzes its 1080i HD to something less than 1920x1080 (IIRC it's 1280x1080i). Once they do that, it doesn't matter if you do have a 1920x1080i capable set, you're not getting the resolution back. They can still call it HD tho because it still meets the definition and apparently HBO and the like are OK with the downrezzing (or can't do anything about it if they are not OK with it).

I don't know how Directv handles the MPEG4 HD but most (all?) of the natl HD they offer is not MPEG4 yet anyway.

I think DISH does this as well altho they may still have some channels at full 1080i.

And any properly adjusted HD set is going look very good. And especially when you compare it to an SD offering. Anyone perusing the HD sets at Sears or Wal Mart or HH Gregg or Best Buy are probably seeing MANY more sets that don't meet the 1920x1080 standard than those that do. And especially those looking at sets with a 3 digit number. How many computer monitors even live up to that standard? Of course if you have the money, go for the top dog. That's why they cost more.

Someone asked about CRT HD's.... If you have a CRT computer monitor (not a flat panel LCD monitor) how does that look to you?

But yeah, having a monitor capable of 1920x1080i offers the ultimate display capability (and these days some sets are then upconverting that to 1080p). But I just muddied the water some more didn't I?

So LA, you're right and wrong at the same time here. A better statement might be that 1920x1080 is the current maximum HD resolution but is certainly not the only (or "true") HD resolution.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Yeah, it looks like I'm just gonna have to wait until I can save the $$$ for a good one. Hopefully prices will drop by then.

This might do????

I will NEVER buy another Toshiba product after dealing with the nightmare concerning my laptop. Even if the products themselves were okay, the customer service is the most atrocious I've ever dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    Do the CRT HD tv's have the same quality pic. as the flat paneled ones? I would like to get one, but can't afford the prices of the plasma and LCD ones.
    Ken, I think we can all agree that you do have to pay a certain amount to get top performance. But when you're dealing with smaller sizes the blemishes so to speak are not as apparent. My son has a 30'' inch CRT single tube Toshiba in his bedroom and the picture is fantastic. However if the same technology in that set was in my 42" Samsung Plasma then there would be a problem. In other words don't get hung up on hype and the wow factors you hear sometimes. When you're ready to go for a bigger screen size then the numbers become more important. In some respects movie watching has become somewhat of a hobby and an expensive one at that.

Currently my setup is.

Not exactly a theater room but a continual work in progress.
    InFocus 4805 Front Projector with a manual 92" screen.
    Mitsubishi 65" HD widescreen about 5 years old. Still an unbelievable picture for an oldy on dvds.
    LG HD tuner box/dvd player combo with upconvert.
    HD signal provided by a Channel Master 4228 antenna with a CM775 preamp.
    Low end priced Panasonic receiver that really kicks butt.
    Sony front towers, center channel, and rear surrounds. Sound ok and one day will go into the tv room, but do get the job done.
    Yamaha Subwoofer, small with only an 8" speaker but amazingly punchy.
    Around 2,000 dvds to watch and a 6oz theater style popcorn machine.

TV room....
    42" Samsung HD plasma hooked up to one overpriced Bose Wave II radio.
    DVDs played on a Pansonic dvd recorder.
    HD signal supplied by OTA and a Zenith Silver Sensor antenna.

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT THING.................
    No matter what you buy one of the most important and cheapest things you can buy to help your equipment is a video/audio calibration disc. Makes a world of difference in picture quality and keeping your display from premature aging.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Yeah, it looks like I'm just gonna have to wait until I can save the $$$ for a good one. Hopefully prices will drop by then.

I will NEVER buy another Toshiba product after dealing with the nightmare concerning my laptop. Even if the products themselves were okay, the customer service is the most atrocious I've ever dealt with.

After what you've been through I can't blame ya.

Hey guys, I'm thinking about selling some stuff to combine with my Christmas money and taking a crack at this again. I may be able to get about $800 together, though I don't know if that would be enough for everything I need. Any suggestions?

Btw, I would prefer the following if possible:

- LCD over plasma
    - built-in tuner
    - widescreen over 4:3
    - at least 720p, since I have a PS3
    - at least a one-year warranty

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

not sure if you wanted a flat panel tv, but i found this tube HDTV for under $500...not sure if you are interested but here is the link to it at bestbuy.com

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1130981881933

If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    @thatguyjoe84

What are the reviews on the Olevia sets looking like? I'm seeing these at good prices at some stores. Seems like Office Depot and HH Gregg stock them.

I'm not saying they are the way to go (I know nothing about them)... just that the price is right and would be worth digging up reviews from experienced users and see if it is a bargain or a 'get what you pay for'.

-Bball.

------

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I bought a Wal-Mart brand HDTV and haven't had any problems so far. Yet I have a feeling I'm going to get screwed by not getting a warranty (not the tv itself but just my past luck with not getting them).

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3757024

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Why the hang-up on a built-in tuner?

Any recent HD cable box or dish receiver is going to do all your tuner work anyway. Main thing is a couple of DVI/HDMI inputs, 2-3 component inputs that will sync at least from 480p up to 1080i (my Samsung is a couple of years old and has one 480i/480p only that I put the PS2 on).

If you can get up to 1080 progressive instead you'd be better off. That's then end of the line for the new ATSC standard which means it's not about to get outdated on a national broadcast level in the next few years due to technology, just like it took well past the tech ability to do more to finally get the old NTSC standard moved aside.

But 1080p has just hit so it costs more (its tough to scan/refresh that much at a prog rate, thus the cost).

If you aren't required to stick flat then a solid DLP set is a good bet. LCD and plasma don't refresh as quickly and are blocky/blurry in comparison. Liquid Crystal on Silicon - LCOS isn't a bad technology either, though a few years ago it was pretty flawed with its own refresh issues (like shadows lingering).

Right now LCD tech is quickly gaining on plasma and IMO looks to blow past it both in ability and price, so if you must have a flat panel then LCDs are probably where you need to be looking.

But the depth on a mid-sized DLP (40") is pretty thin.

Cheapies vs good sets (like Samsung, Mitsu) can be in the line doubler/DSP chip (Faroudja chips are top notch), the amount of inputs, the quality of the components, or even the menu system.

Of course a big thing with all of this is that when not placed side by side most HDTVs will look great and be indistinguishable to the average joe.

BTW, I had my Samsung DLP shipped and got a better price for it. Also had my mid-level Denon receiver shipped as well. Both came in safe and sound. So don't limit your options to the generally AWFUL local selection (either poor options or bad prices - this means you Ovation).

Well, to be honest, my HDTV knowledge is pretty minimal. I assume I'm going to have to buy a tuner at some point, so I may as well get one built in. Besides, this is all I'm going to be able to spend on the HDTV experience for quite some time.

Right now it looks like my range will be more in the $500-700 range. What do you guys think of these?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142301899352

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4529481

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OLEVI...oductDetail.do

Bear in mind I also have a PS3, so I'd like to get as close to the full HD experience as I can for the money.

Shade,
    I think I've seen that Olevia even cheaper unless I was looking at a 'tunerless' model.

Check out Office Depot sales and Fryes (outpost.com). Also Comp USA. HH Gregg too.

It was on sale somewhere. I think 599.00 got you a 32" model even.

Also... there should be some sales leading up to the Superbowl. If I was you I'd make sure to pickup a Sunday Indy Star and check the sale flyers closely each week.

And always search for forum reviews of the TV your interested in (Google is your friend). And try to find a concensus. Don't let one or two posters' reviews scare you off or sell you on a set. An idiot or someone less than a little tech savvy may not like a set because they are misusing it and don't realize it (you'd be surprised at the people who have an HD set but aren't watching HD material on it for whatever reason... but think they are).

Conversely, if someone has had a 19" B/W TV and rabbit ears that they've used for years then they will absolutely LOVE any HDTV and never notice flaws or issues that others would pick up on.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

I see that LG has released a dvd player that will do both HD and BRay formats plus upconvert. Only a small amount at $1,200 dolars and with both formats movies pushing the $25 to $30 dollar range is there really any reason to wait?

Hey shade, I hear Toshiba makes a great HDTV

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Shade,
    I think I've seen that Olevia even cheaper unless I was looking at a 'tunerless' model.

Check out Office Depot sales and Fryes (outpost.com). Also Comp USA. HH Gregg too.

It was on sale somewhere. I think 599.00 got you a 32" model even.

Also... there should be some sales leading up to the Superbowl. If I was you I'd make sure to pickup a Sunday Indy Star and check the sale flyers closely each week.

And always search for forum reviews of the TV your interested in (Google is your friend). And try to find a concensus. Don't let one or two posters' reviews scare you off or sell you on a set. An idiot or someone less than a little tech savvy may not like a set because they are misusing it and don't realize it (you'd be surprised at the people who have an HD set but aren't watching HD material on it for whatever reason... but think they are).

Conversely, if someone has had a 19" B/W TV and rabbit ears that they've used for years then they will absolutely LOVE any HDTV and never notice flaws or issues that others would pick up on.

-Bball
    I was thinking around the Super Bowl might be the best time. I have about $600 saved up now, and that will probably be about my limit, give or take a few bucks. Some other expenses creeped up on me (dentist) that I need to take care of soon.

The consensus on that Olevia seems to be that the picture quality is outstanding, but the sound isn't that great, and the remote is horrible. Though I'm sure I could eventually upgrade both of those. Nothng's going to be perfect at my price point.

I actually went to Wal-Mart and took a look at the Sanyo, but the picture seemed slightly blurry to me compared to the models that were only $100-200 more expensive.