Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBS Reports IU Players Won't Play if Sampson Gone

Default CBS Reports IU Players Won't Play if Sampson Gone

Sources: Several Hoosiers threaten to quit if Sampson ousted

A Thursday night meeting between Indiana athletic director Rick Greenspan and the school's basketball team became heated when players threatened to quit if the AD follows through with a plan to remove Kelvin Sampson as the Hoosiers' coach, two sources have told CBSSports.com.

According to the sources, after Greenspan informed five selected players -- namely D.J. White, Eric Gordon, Kyle Taber, Lance Stemler and Adam Ahlfeld -- of his decision to replace Sampson he called a meeting with the entire team in an attempt to "prepare" them for Friday's official announcement that Sampson would either be suspended or terminated in time for the Hoosiers' weekend game at Northwestern. But before Greenspan finished his speech, the sources said an unidentified player stood up and insisted "if Sampson ain't coaching, we ain't playing" and that Greenspan responded with what he thought was a rhetorical question.

"Greenspan asked if he should just cancel the whole season," one source said. "And the player told him 'We don't care what you do. But if Sampson ain't coaching, we ain't playing.' And then they just walked out."

An Indiana television station shot video of the IU players leaving the meeting.

The players declined comment upon exiting.

According to the sources, Greenspan asked Sampson to resign Thursday night but Sampson -- who was alleged in a report released last week to have committed five major NCAA rules violations -- rejected the request. The sources said it now appears Sampson is daring the school to fire him and that such a move would almost certainly lead to a lawsuit because Sampson still insists he is not guilty of lying to NCAA investigators or IU administrators, and that if the school was going to fire him for impermissible phone calls it should've done that when it learned of the calls in October.

Either way, Indiana is expected to hold a news conference Friday.

CBS Sportsline
    http://www.sportsline.com/collegebas...story/10659277
    Last edited by Bball; 02-22-2008 at 04:38 AM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: CBS Reports IU Players Won't Play if Sampson Gone

I would call them on it. It would show the character of the players if they really would quit on the season over him. While I can undersatnd their loyalty, they should be smart enough to realize he broke the rules and has to pay the price.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

DJ wouldn't quit on his senior season would he? I just can't see that happening.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Yes, I'm sure they have threatened to not play - but they won't do that. Sampson will tell them to play and they will re-think things and they will play

If that's what they want to do, I say let 'em. Dumba$$es.

Who the hell do they think they are?

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Idiots.

Way to flush your career down the toilet.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

What a bunch of immature brats. Your coach cheated, and he has to pay the penalty. Get over it.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

Yeah, I'd call their bluff if it were my decision. IU's integrity > These players or this season

Both Gordon and White have too much to lose by throwing a fit over not having their coach. I don't really care if Ahfeld or Taber play another minute. So I have a hard time believing DJ or Eric are the ones that said this.

If any of these guys think its more important to play for CKS than to represent this state and Indiana University, then they should be kicked off the team with Sampson.

I'm sure Sampson will call them to talk about it.

Not true according to an IU official through espn.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3258506

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure Sampson will call them to talk about it.
    Zing!

I agree with the majority here...it seems kind of immature. I get what they're trying to do, but I don't think they (the players) can actually be serious. IU has to fire Sampson at this point. You just can't continue to allow him to put the school's reputation on the line like he has the propensity of doing (despite being warned time and time again).

streets ahead

why does anyone think that taber or ahfeld would be calling the shots here? if a team decided to leave don't you think it'd be DJ or EJ calling the shots? they're the leaders and i hardly think that stemler, taber or ahfield would be the leaders of this or frankly any movement. it's a threat -- they love their coach it is understandable -- but it isn't official yet.

is EJ still going to be a lottery pick? yup. if he isn't early lottery that works a little better for him and frankly the pacers.

is DJ still going to be a fringe late-first-most-likely-early-second round pick? yup. he'll still need to prove in the draft camps that where he stands just like now.

IU has the most to lose in this situation and the players are smart enough to realize this. whether their loyalty is misguided is irrelevant. IU is screwed right now... the reputation has been damaged and will be damaged more whether they keep Sampson and seem like both pushovers and embrace cheating. Or they can have the players walk out. Ebanks will certainly be gone and future recruiting sanctions will make finding an IU quality coach difficult...

EJ and DJ have nothing more invested beyond this season and they want Sampson to ride out of town with them. Maybe I'm missing something here but I'm not sure how much they truly risk other than playing in the tourney. missing the tourney probably hurts IU more than it will hurt the individual players.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Call the bluff. Fire his a$$. If the player then choose to leave, let them. You do not want weak-minded people like that around your program.

The players always say that. That is what most of them were saying when Knight was fired and the also when Davis was let go. When they realize they have to sit out a year and the new coach has a talk with them, most have a change of heart.

According to wthr, a quote from White confirms that this is atleast somewhat true...

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=7910739

Eyewitness Sports has also learned that players have voiced loyalty to Coach Sampson. A source says some players are considering skipping Saturday's game against Northwestern. We asked player DJ White whether that report was true, and an irritated White responded, "I don't know who your sources are." But he added, "I'm not gonna say it's not true."

When pressed for clarification, White repeated, "The only thing I will say is, 'I will not say it's not true.'"

Seems like it's probably White leading the charge if this is true. Taber or Ahfield don't have enough power to rally everyone like White would.

I doubt DJ or EJ would participate in this, even though EJ came to IU because of Sampson. But the two of them just have too much to lose.

This is just a no-win situation for everybody. Thanks a lot, Kelvin.

Sorry, but CBS guy names four players. Only two of them have nothing to lose by sitting out, Ahlfield and Taber. Either this is not true (which I tend to believe because you might as well go the whole nine yards and say who it was) or its Taber or Ahlfield. Either way I don't think this is gonna be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Sorry, but CBS guy names four players. Only two of them have nothing to lose by sitting out, Ahlfield and Taber. Either this is not true (which I tend to believe because you might as well go the whole nine yards and say who it was) or its Taber or Ahlfield. Either way I don't think this is gonna be an issue.
    I don't think it'd be Taber or Ahlfeld, especially the latter since he's a senior. Taber just doesn't come off as that kind of a person to me.

If I had to guess, I'd say the four guys are Bassett, Crawford, Ellis, and either Gordon or Thomas. But that's strictly a guess.

I doubt its Bassett. He came here to play for IU. He already has shown he's more loyal to the school than a coach once.
    Ellis makes some sense and he was my original guess.
    To be honest I doubt this is how it really happened.

I could see DJ saying something like this. His stock rose dramatically when Sampson advised him to stay and what kind of player to become. That said, it won't happen unless these guys are a hell of a lot dumber than we think.

I was reading on the RATS board where Hummel and Martin had been contacted by Sampson after they had already committed to Purdue which I wasn't aware of. Face it, KS is just one ugly, ugly scumbag basketball coach. I have no sympathy for the man or his situation AT ALL!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Taber or Ahfeld wouldn't wield this power. DJ and EJ are the only ones that would make sense with DJ being the most likely to be the leader of the insurrection.

...It worked for Jimmy Chitwood and the Hickory Huskers....

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I doubt its Bassett. He came here to play for IU. He already has shown he's more loyal to the school than a coach once.
    Ellis makes some sense and he was my original guess.
    To be honest I doubt this is how it really happened.
    Yeah, you have a point there. I forgot he was part of the MD class.

Maybe it's DeAndre and EJ. I don't know. I would only be surprised if DJ is one of the boycotters. He's already stayed on after MD was canned, and he's a senior, and he loves to play, and he's already missed a lot of play time due to injuries.

This is assuming, of course, that there really are any boycotters. I'd bet we may have 1-2 defectors at most this season, with others possibly leaving in the offseason.

Brace yourselves; we may be a very, VERY bad team next season. A new coach, last-minute recruiting class, and off-season transfers are going to make things very difficult for a while.

I guess it's all up to the Colts to lift Indy fans' spirits now. The Pacers and Hoosiers are going downhill fast. This whole debacle may very well end up being the "Brawl" of Hoosierland in terms of impact on the program.

You guys are all too negative right now. Who is going to leave? Only guy that makes any sense is Crawford. Thomas and Ellis will be seniors. The other factor you are forgetting is that Sampson is not going to get another job probably ever, but definetely not this summer. We will be fine. This is still one of the top 5-6 coaching jobs in the nation.

You guys are all too negative right now. Who is going to leave? Only guy that makes any sense is Crawford. Thomas and Ellis will be seniors. The other factor you are forgetting is that Sampson is not going to get another job probably ever, but definetely not this summer. We will be fine. This is still one of the top 5-6 coaching jobs in the nation.
    I'm more concerned about the recruits that will probably do an about-face now, like Ebanks. Remember, no matter what, this is last hurrah for our two best players by a long shot in EJ and DJ. We were already going to struggle a bit expecting the new recruits to fill the void those two will leave behind. If any of the recruits decide now not to come here, things could get really messy for a bit.