Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do the Pacers need better marketing?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Do the Pacers need better marketing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    re: Do the Pacers need better marketing?

Does marketing need better Pacers?

-Bball
    Touche.

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    i think many have hit on some excellent points here. i would also like to point out one which i think is happening around all the sports (both college and pro) is that ticket prices just keep going up. not just going up but outpacing inflation and inreasingly out of reach for more and more fans. some simply cannot afford the luxury of throwing down major bucks anymore (which is what it takes) for a few hours of sports entertainment. then there is the fact that there are ever increasing ways for the people to spend their limited entertainment budgets and i don't just mean the colts.
    i would have to say though- the feeling of no real connection with the majority of this teams players is probably a pretty big issue too. no one left from the good to great 90's teams left to cheer for.
    I understand the money thing. I can afford to buy Spurs tickets, or at least will be able to again once my new job starts, like the team and the arena, but I've only paid to go 4 or 5 times in the 9 years I've lived down here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Ken... What kind of promotions do the Spurs do on weeknights? Are we talking halftime concerts or free calendars or ????

-Bball
    As I looked at the paper today to see if they had any for tonights game against Memphis, there was nothing other than a chance to enter on-line to win ticket to the game + hockey tickets. They usually run a fun pack thing with a hotdog and drink included with the ticket. They also have the usual give aways at various games. The Spurs don't have to compete with a football team like the Colts, so they have it nice that way. They still get the word out hot and heavy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Good point. It would be easy to sell tickets if the Pacers were winning games and putting the likes of Oscar Robertson, Larry Bird, Bonzi Wells, Scott Skiles, the Van Arsdale twins, Glenn Robinson, Damon Bailey and Stacey Toran out there on a nightly basis. They would market themselves.

But in practice, marketing is making people want something that they don't want, and making them willing to spend money on it.
    You might want to replace Bonzi with Calbert Chaney or Alford on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    You might want to replace Bonzi with Calbert Chaney or Alford on that list.
    I was aiming to get somebody from Ball State. How about we say Ray McCallum?
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I couldn't get any tickets from TicketBa***rd Friday 12/15 for the Knicks game, but the brokers had plenty that they were selling for below face value.

Kind of bizzare to see relatively few people in the stands for a game where tickets could not be bought directly.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Good point. It would be easy to sell tickets if the Pacers were winning games and putting the likes of Oscar Robertson, Larry Bird, Bonzi Wells, Scott Skiles, the Van Arsdale twins, Glenn Robinson, Damon Bailey and Stacey Toran out there on a nightly basis. They would market themselves.

But in practice, marketing is making people want something that they don't want, and making them willing to spend money on it.
    I dont agree with that at all. I see what you are saying, but just looking at the definition of marketing:

The activities of a company associated with buying and selling a product or service. It includes advertising, selling and delivering products to people. People who work in marketing departments of companies try to get the attention of target audiences by using slogans, packaging design, celebrity endorsements and general media exposure. The four 'Ps' of marketing are product, place, price and promotion.

If your product is not desired, or is just plain not true, then no matter how good your marketing is the prudct will not be able to sell.