Thread: Anyone ever heard of the CAI?

Hybrid View

Mood

Default Anyone ever heard of the CAI?

I've been getting phone messages from this "group" about a "debt" I supposedly owe. It seemed like a phone solicitation so my family had ignored it, but my dad (who has the same first name as me) finally picked up during a call and got a human being claiming I (specifying with my middle initial) owe some debt they're trying to collect.

First of all, I've never heard of them. Second of all, I don't even own a credit card, so there's nothing I owe. Third, they haven't said much of anything about who they are, which reads vague in print, but the bottom line is we're all looking at each other here wondering if this isn't just some scam.

So I thought before I call them back in the morning (tried tonight w/ a reference number dad got; they listed office hours), I'd post this to see if anyone has heard of the "CAI" before. Thanks.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Anyone ever heard of the CAI?

I just googled "scam CAI collecting money"

This is the first link I got:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/cai.html

A for-profit telemarketer has been barred from soliciting donations. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) charged that Community Affairs, Inc. (CAI) preyed on the goodwill of consumers by making misleading fundraising solicitations for a number of police and firefighters-related charities.

I got a similar call saying they were raising money for firefighters and I told them send me something in the mail thinking that they wouldn't. I got a letter about a week later and the letter even says, we are not a charity, and none of the money goes to firefighters.

I couldn't believe they would actually send a letter asking to raise money for firefighters and have that printed in their letter. I guess some people just don't read the letter?

Mood

Thanks guys. This is sounding more and more likely to be just a scam.

Mood

I called back a moment ago, and I'm still not sure who the hell they are, but they listed the birth date of the man they're looking for, and it's not mine, so we left it at that. Thanks for replying, guys!