Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

  1. #1

    Default insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    Updated: Dec. 19, 2006, 8:08 PM ET

    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...2=stateChanged

    Nuggets now NBA title contenders? Answer: Yes

    By John Hollinger
    ESPN Insider
    Archive

    Just when you thought the West couldn't get any tougher, here comes another contender.

    In one fell swoop on Tuesday, the Denver Nuggets went from a nice team that had little chance of making it past the first round to a legitimate threat to win the whole enchilada.


    Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony have the potential to do great things together.

    Yes, I said they can win it all. Everything.

    As in, hoisting the Larry O'Brien trophy in June, having a Coors-soaked parade under the shadow of the Rockies, and being linked to conspiracy theories all summer as the result of a few strange calls by Bennett Salvatore.

    As you might have guessed, I think this trade was an absolute home run for the Nuggets, one that elevates them into the grouping with the Spurs, Suns and Mavericks when we discuss the league's elite. (Sorry Utah fans, I'm not quite ready to go there yet. Gimme another month and I'll take it under advisement.)

    I'm still amazed that the price wasn't higher, and I sure hope for the Clippers' sake that Shaun Livingston -- whom they deemed untouchable -- turns out to be a big star, because otherwise they're going to be wiping egg off their faces for a long time.

    Yes, Iverson can be a pain in the butt. For one thing, he's not big on the whole idea of practice. Plus, he's likely to miss some time with injuries, and he's already 31. Just to make sure we're covering all the negatives, the trade also cost the Nuggets their best (some would say "only") passer in Andre Miller, subtracted frontcourt depth with the loss of Joe Smith, and forces two of the game's most tunnel-visioned scorers to share a single leather basketball.

    In spite of that, I love it. Here's why:


    The system fits. Putting Iverson with Anthony works a lot better than, say, pairing Stephon Marbury with Steve Francis, because this duo scores in very different ways.

    Iverson wants the ball at the beginning of the play so he can go off the dribble and create; 'Melo is end-of-the-play guy interested in finishing. The only change required is that Iverson will have to pass a bit more and shoot a bit less, but we're not talking about radical surgery for a guy who's averaged better than seven assists per game the last three seasons.

    And beyond that, Denver doesn't need to change a thing. The Nuggets already are the league's fastest-paced team, so we won't see the scenes in Philly with Iverson jetting out on the break while Chris Webber gamely tries to drag his leg down the court.


    Boykins may have a tough time finding minutes and shots with A.I. around.
    Additionally, the Nuggets already had two players who shared traits with Iverson: a lead guard with a shaky outside shot (Miller), and a mini-Iverson (Earl Boykins, coming off the bench). As a result, Iverson will fit into George Karl's system as seamlessly as any player in the league could, especially since he can spend his first 13 or 14 games gunning at will before Anthony comes back from suspension.

    And unlike some coaches, Karl doesn't seem to have a big problem working with players who are perceived as difficult. He almost seems to relish it, in fact, as Gary Payton can attest.

    C'mon, would you rather see Earl Boykins take those shots? People think that the Nugget who will miss out on the most shots will be Anthony, but this isn't true. Really, the guy who's going to lose out is Boykins, who will see a precipitous drop in playing time once the suspensions end because Iverson can do his superhuman 46-minute routine on so many nights.

    This is the same Boykins who is shooting 37.0 percent from the floor, has upset teammates with his poor shot selection, is on the trading block and is spending tonight trying to figure out why he's still a Nugget.

    Shouldn't be a tough act to follow for the Answer. Meanwhile, having those shots transferred to Iverson's ledger should produce an uptick in baskets and a huge jump in free-throw attempts.

    Look at last year's Sixers. If you want to know how these guys can share the ball, consider the 2005-06 76ers.

    Like this year's Nuggets, that team had Iverson ... except it had about 1/63rd of the surrounding talent. Two players accounted for the vast chunk of the Sixers' possessions -- Iverson and Chris Webber. Webber's Usage Rate (the rate of possessions used) wasn't much different from Carmelo Anthony's a year ago, so think of it as Iverson playing with a one-legged version of Anthony.

    Despite that, and the paucity of teammates who could score (for a quick refresher, Kevin Ollie played more than 1,000 minutes; John Salmons played more than 2,000; and Webber, the No.2 option, had a 48.2 True Shooting Percentage), the Sixers were an above-average offensive team a year ago, ranking 13th in the NBA in Offensive Efficiency.

    Now replace Webber with Carmelo Anthony. Replace Samuel Dalembert with Marcus Camby, Kevin Ollie with Boykins, Kyle Korver with J.R. Smith, and Steven Hunter with Nene. Don't you think it's possible that the Nuggets will be just a wee bit better off?

    In fact, the Nuggets already are an excellent offensive team -- they rank sixth in Offensive Efficiency through Monday's games, and are within 1.1 points of second place. With the addition of Iverson, it says here that from the end of 'Melo's suspension to the end of the season, only Phoenix will be better offensively.

    If A.I. feels like jacking up a shot at anytime, Evans and Camby will be ready.
    The bigs don't need the rock. This is an underrated aspect of the Iverson deal, but an important one.

    Look at the types of big guys the Nuggets have. There's Marcus Camby, who doesn't need to have any plays called for him and gets all his points on transition, offensive boards and kick-out jumpers. There's Eduardo Najera, who scores on hustle plays, sets bone-jarring screens and otherwise stays out of the way.

    And then there's Reggie Evans. I don't think there could be a more perfect fit than putting Evans on a team with Iverson and Anthony. All those two guys want to do is shoot it, and all Evans wants to do is gather the misses.

    Evans ranks second in the NBA in Offensive Rebound Rate behind Indiana's Jeff Foster, grabbing an amazing 16.4 percent of the misses when he's on the court. Thus, his greatest skill is perfectly placed to mitigate Iverson's worst trait -- his tendency to keep letting it rip on a 7-for-24 night.

    The 'Sheed factor. Remember when Rasheed Wallace got traded from Portland to Atlanta to Detroit? (Yes, he was a Hawk. Even played a game for them. Both teams played hard.) Remember how he bent over backwards to show his new teammates that his reputation was wrong and he could be a great team player? And remember how he was the missing link that took Detroit from a solid-but-unspectacular playoff team to NBA Champions?

    This is Iverson right now. For the first time in years he has something to prove and capable teammates to prove it with. He knows his legacy is at stake, too. It's one thing if you can't coexist with Jerry Stackhouse or Keith Van Horn -- people will forgive that. But if he can't make it work with Anthony, that's what will go down in the history books: "Great individual player. Could win only if other four guys didn't want or need the ball."

    As a result of that, and the fact that Iverson has a legitimate shot at a ring for the first time in years, I have a feeling we're in for some of his best basketball. None of this will change the fact that he's 31, that he might get hurt, or that his jumper is streaky at best. But I'd rather take my chances on a focused, motivated, hell-bent-to-prove-them-wrong Iverson than on the dejected, sullen guy who was getting his brains beat in every night as a Sixer.

    So overall, it's a fantastic deal for the Nuggets. One of the things Michael Lewis points out in the book "Moneyball" is that midseason trades are a tremendous opportunity, because they give teams a chance to make deals they never could get away with in the offseason.

    In my view, this was that kind of trade. The Nuggets basically just got Iverson for Andre Miller. Are you kidding me? Could any team possibly have made that deal over the summer, or anything close to it? Of course not.

    But they pulled it off, and because of it they have a two-year window to bring the city its first NBA championship.


    John Hollinger writes for ESPN Insider. To e-mail him, click here.

  2. #2
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    "Evans ranks second in the NBA in Offensive Rebound Rate behind Indiana's Jeff Foster, grabbing an amazing 16.4 percent of the misses when he's on the court."
    - This is why some of us here are huge Jeff Foster fans. Back-up my foot.

  3. #3
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,493

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    LOL at the thought that Iverson and Melo will work together. I wanted AI here cause we have dominant big man in JO. Melo and AI is gonna be a train wreck. You just watch.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  4. #4

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    I think this may be a little bit like the pairing of George McGinnis and Julius Erving in Philadelphia in their prime in 1976.

    Both sacrificed a little and they made two good runs at a title. I guess people considered it a disappoinment to not win with Dr. J, George, Doug Collins, World B. Free and others. Their near-miss was a finals loss to the Walton Trailblazer team in 77.

    Of course Mac was a PF and Dr. J a SF.

  5. #5
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Evans ranks second in the NBA in Offensive Rebound Rate behind Indiana's Jeff Foster, grabbing an amazing 16.4 percent of the misses when he's on the court."
    - This is why some of us here are huge Jeff Foster fans. Back-up my foot.
    My problem is that his great rebounding stats (well, hollinger stats) are a combination of his ability & hustle with the fact that he'll miss a close-range shot/layup and get it again. But to be fair, I'd wager 85-90% of it is his ability.

  6. #6

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    Denver is a joke, they are not going to win Northwest not even talking about NBA championship. Who wants bet on that?

  7. #7
    Member LG33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,926

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    Allen Iverson will be really good for Denver, until Carmelo's suspension is over - I think they'll have some difficulty meshing on the court (practice and actual games are a lot different), so I think they'll have a couple bad games during the transition period...plus, despite Karl's ability to work with so-called troublemakers (like JR, who's still a bit out of control if you ask me), who can say how the George Karl/Allen Iverson relationship will play out, especially considering their connections with Larry Brown and how that apparently makes a difference...does anyone think Karl will "resign" anytime soon?

  8. #8
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,397

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think this may be a little bit like the pairing of George McGinnis and Julius Erving in Philadelphia in their prime in 1976.

    Both sacrificed a little and they made two good runs at a title. I guess people considered it a disappoinment to not win with Dr. J, George, Doug Collins, World B. Free and others. Their near-miss was a finals loss to the Walton Trailblazer team in 77.

    Of course Mac was a PF and Dr. J a SF.

    I gotta tell, tom, I love when posters bring up the NBA pre-Reggie. A lot of good history there. I think that's a valid analogy you made. I honestly don't forsee any real problems with the Iverson/Carmello pairing and I think any minor problems that may pop up will be small but overmagnified by the media just to make a story.

    All I think about are those high scoring Nuggets teams of the past or our own Pacers in the ABA with tandem of league leading scorers. I personally, don't think it'll be any big deal.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  9. #9
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,864

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    I don't know that Carmelo/Iverson is the right combo to win a title with. AI would have been best off with a star big man (coughJOcough).

  10. #10
    Member Jon Theodore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,762

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL at the thought that Iverson and Melo will work together. I wanted AI here cause we have dominant big man in JO. Melo and AI is gonna be a train wreck. You just watch.
    no YOU just watch. You are being absolutely ridiculous. I am sorry that you are bitter that we didn't get the player we never even had a chance of getting, but Denver is easily an elite team in the west now. Iverson might be WORSE here than anywhere else. Jermaine will cry like a girl if he doesn't get his shots where Camby and Nene/Najera don't even need the ball. The only other person who needs the ball on that team is Carmelo.

    Iverson is 31 years old, he is no longer the punk people think he is and you can't solely judge him based off his time in philly because he was always surrounded by CRAP.

    Also, lets not forget George Karl is one of the best coaches in this league. If Carlisle was the coach, yes it would probably end up being a trainwreck. I am calling it right now, Denver will be an elite team and probably a lower seed team in the west that ends up in the WCF. (due to suspensions/time it will take Melo and AI to gel with one another)

    I don't see how anyone thinks a player like AI could co exist with a player like Jermaine O'neal. JO might have the most inflated EGO in the NBA and a player like AI who is ten times better is not going to be looking for Jermaine.

    I think if there is any player in this league who would be a good pairing with JO it's Jason Kidd or maybe Steve Nash...basically just a good passer who an penetrate and shoot. Some might say Iverson is that, but he's more of a scorer obviously than a passer.

    Jo and AI would be just like Chris Webber and AI....nothing to talk about.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

  11. #11

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know that Carmelo/Iverson is the right combo to win a title with. AI would have been best off with a star big man (coughJOcough).
    Actually I think he fits very well with big guys who set bone-jarring picks and are happy to just rebound. Guys like Tyrone Hill in his prime and quite possibly just like Reggie Evans. And he also fits well with shot-blocking defenders who can cover up for him when he gambles and misses on steals. On D he gambles A LOT. JO would have fit that bill, but so might a healthy Camby (if such a thing exists).

    One weak spot Denver has is a good ball-handling backcourt partner for AI to let him play off the ball more. I don't think either Smith or Melo has the handles to do that regularly, and Earl is too small and too shoot-first to play with AI.

  12. #12
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,493

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    no YOU just watch. You are being absolutely ridiculous. I am sorry that you are bitter that we didn't get the player we never even had a chance of getting, but Denver is easily an elite team in the west now. Iverson might be WORSE here than anywhere else. Jermaine will cry like a girl if he doesn't get his shots where Camby and Nene/Najera don't even need the ball. The only other person who needs the ball on that team is Carmelo.

    Iverson is 31 years old, he is no longer the punk people think he is and you can't solely judge him based off his time in philly because he was always surrounded by CRAP.

    Also, lets not forget George Karl is one of the best coaches in this league. If Carlisle was the coach, yes it would probably end up being a trainwreck. I am calling it right now, Denver will be an elite team and probably a lower seed team in the west that ends up in the WCF. (due to suspensions/time it will take Melo and AI to gel with one another)

    I don't see how anyone thinks a player like AI could co exist with a player like Jermaine O'neal. JO might have the most inflated EGO in the NBA and a player like AI who is ten times better is not going to be looking for Jermaine.

    I think if there is any player in this league who would be a good pairing with JO it's Jason Kidd or maybe Steve Nash...basically just a good passer who an penetrate and shoot. Some might say Iverson is that, but he's more of a scorer obviously than a passer.

    Jo and AI would be just like Chris Webber and AI....nothing to talk about.
    I like how you think JO would cry about his shots, but Melo and JR Smith won't. That's high comedy.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  13. #13

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    I think that this move could work for Denver.

    Iverson attacks the basket. He will get to the line, get steals, assits. I think Allen and Carmelo will play just fine. They will make the game easier for each other. I am wondering how JR Smith, Nene, and Kenyon Martin will play. They won't see as many alley opps and easy baskets without Andre Miller anymore. They will have to put more effort on the defenseive end. The Nuggets are going to be able to beat you to spots on the court when/if Boykins and Iverson play together.

    This doesn't make Denver a title contender right now. It's too early to say. It was a big time move. Rather it is good or bad we wont know for awhile. There are to many unknowns.

    Just for the record Iverson is one of my favorite players and all and I wouldn't have minded if he was traded to the Pacers but Jermaine is probably a worse complament to Iverson than Melo, and Karl is probably the better coach for Allen than Rick. I say this because Melo wouldn't clog the lane like Jermaine would and George has proven to deal with difficult characters effectively over the years. (Payton, Kemp, Big Dog, Cassell, etc.)

  14. #14
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,638

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    Iverson gets to Denver and finds a roster with less talent than the team he just left. Then he leads his team to defeat hosting the Artest-less Kings while Philly goes on the road to beat Boston without Andre Miller on the team yet.

    Admittedly AI put up outstanding numbers in his debut. If he brought 9-15 and 10 assists every night I'd love his game. Changed man or just finding his way into the situation. Odd that on a night without Melo, Camby or Smith he only took 15 shots. Not saying it was wrong for him to limit his shots for the higher PCT, just saying it was surprising.

  15. #15

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    I think Allen played as well as he could've last night.

    Part of his low shot # may be from arriving just before the game without time to acclimate himself. By the mid 4th quarter he was shooting his normal rate shots/game.


    I can't think of a better team for Iverson to play for. We might see what he's worth by April.

  16. #16
    Member Roferr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    70
    Posts
    562

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    I just can't see any great offensive player co-existing with Iverson. It may work for a while but AI's ego will get crimped when he doesn't get his 25 shots and he will become a mal-content.

  17. #17

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    Quote Originally Posted by Roferr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just can't see any great offensive player co-existing with Iverson. It may work for a while but AI's ego will get crimped when he doesn't get his 25 shots and he will become a mal-content.
    You mean he is presently not a malcontent? We shall see if this works out. I think they have too many scorers and the odd man out is JR.

  18. #18
    Member Iceman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    529

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think this may be a little bit like the pairing of George McGinnis and Julius Erving in Philadelphia in their prime in 1976.

    Both sacrificed a little and they made two good runs at a title. I guess people considered it a disappoinment to not win with Dr. J, George, Doug Collins, World B. Free and others. Their near-miss was a finals loss to the Walton Trailblazer team in 77.

    Of course Mac was a PF and Dr. J a SF.
    Nice call Pacertom....here is in article from the Philadelphia newspaper comparing the Iverson trade to the McGinnis trade. He gives out some info about McGinnis that I was not aware of.....interesting....

    Bob Ford | Iverson trade a lot like McGinnis dealBy Bob Ford
    Inquirer Columnist
    Allen Iverson begins the second act of his NBA career as a Nugget this evening in Denver - snow removal-permitting - and that's a fitting new nickname for a small, precious commodity whose value has fluctuated and who has been occasionally hard to find, particularly on practice days.

    Whatever you may wish for Iverson as he leaves Philadelphia behind, backhanding the coach and the organization as he goes, rewriting history on whether he did or did not demand a trade, the rest of this season will be a positive one for him and his public perception. He will be Olympic Allen for Denver, the ball-sharing, role-playing, good-teammate Allen, anxious to show that the Sixers were to blame for the way things ended here. He will not just coexist with Carmelo Anthony when the star swingman returns from his brawl-related vacation; he will help Anthony thrive.

    You can rely on that - for this season. If there will be trouble, it will be down the road of another year, if the Nuggets don't improve, if the offense doesn't bend to Iverson's inflexible will, if being Olympic Allen gets tiresome. Who knows?

    That's the thing about trades and changes of scenery and new starts. They don't come with a crystal ball. The ultimate winner and loser of Tuesday's deal won't be decided for a long time.

    But because the teams involved are the same, and because, hauntingly, so many of the same names are present in this new drama, the trade of Iverson to Denver is weirdly reminiscent of the last mega-deal between the Nuggets and Sixers. It was a trade that sent a superstar in one direction, brought back a role player in the other, and put the teams on wildly divergent paths.

    So, children, the story of George McGinnis. It's a good one.

    An imposing 6-foot-8 forward with great rebounding instincts and a scorer's touch, McGinnis liked many things about basketball, but practice and discipline were not among them.

    Larry Brown had his first exposure to McGinnis when, as coach of the ABA Nuggets, Brown and assistant Doug Moe coached a Western Conference all-star team that included McGinnis. Other than refusing to take part in drills and layup lines - "Hey, I just don't do that stuff" - McGinnis was pleasant enough, but Brown and Moe shook their heads afterward. "Can you imagine having to coach a guy like that?" Brown said.

    The fast-forward reel spins a few years, after McGinnis jumped from the Indiana Pacers and played three seasons with the 76ers, averaging 21.6 points and 11.5 rebounds, the last season of which, 1977-78, he played for new coach Billy Cunningham, who didn't much like his act. That off-season, Cunningham, Brown and Moe (then coaching San Antonio) - three old North Carolina buddies - were having dinner at the league meetings when Cunningham proposed a McGinnis-for-Bobby Jones trade to Brown.

    "You'd have to be crazy to do that, Larry," Moe chuckled, and immediately felt a kick under the table from Cunningham. Taking the hint, Moe let the scene play out and Brown did, in fact, agree to the trade, and George McGinnis was marketed as the saving superstar for the Denver franchise. His face was on all the billboards, all the buses.

    It went well until the first day of training camp when McGinnis didn't take his turns in the drills, drifting to the back of the line and letting others go ahead of him. Brown stopped practice and said, "Hey, George. That's not how we do things around here."

    "Maybe you shouldn't have traded for me then," McGinnis replied.

    First day of training camp. Face on billboards and buses.

    Brown, taking it all calmly, quit 53 games into the season, eventually moving on to UCLA, New Jersey, the University of Kansas, San Antonio, the L.A. Clippers, Indiana, the Sixers, Detroit, New York and - very recently - outside the windows of the Wachovia Center with his nose pressed against the glass. McGinnis didn't stay much longer in Denver. He was eventually traded to Indiana, where his career ended, out of lack of interest more than anything, at the age of 31. George Karl, who began his coaching career in San Antonio under Moe, bounced around and is now in his third season with the Nuggets, with Moe as his assistant.

    And the Sixers? Jones was the perfect piece to the puzzle. He played defense and cleared the way for Julius Erving to become the dominant offensive player on the team - albeit with a pretty good additional cast. The Sixers made the NBA Finals in the 1979-80 season to begin a stretch of three title round appearances in four years. Somewhat memorably, they won the championship on the last try. As you may have heard, it's been a while since that kind of noise around here.

    The point? Afraid you might ask. There isn't really a point, aside from the obvious. No one knew McGinnis would be such a disaster in Denver. No one knew Jones would work that well with the Sixers. When the trade was made (the Sixers also got guard Ralph Simpson, although that is mentioned merely for the record), it was studied and turned around and most decided that the deal was an even one, maybe a little better for the Nuggets.

    The teams took their chances, made the deal and hoped for the best. After that, it was just a journey into the unknown. It's the same way for the Sixers and Nuggets now. Will Iverson become George McGinnis? Will Andre Miller become Bobby Jones? Will one of those draft picks turn into Andrew Toney? Will Larry Brown return as coach with George Karl, Doug Moe and Billy Cunningham as his assistants?

    What goes around comes around eventually, and it all starts to come around again tonight.


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Contact columnist Bob Ford at 215-854-5842 or bford@phillynews.com. Read his recent work at http://go.philly.com/bobford.

  19. #19
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,588

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually I think he fits very well with big guys who set bone-jarring picks and are happy to just rebound.

    May I introduce you to the best pick-setting big man in the league today..



    The Alpha Male himself, Erick Dampier.

  20. #20

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL at the thought that Iverson and Melo will work together. I wanted AI here cause we have dominant big man in JO. Melo and AI is gonna be a train wreck. You just watch.
    yeah because both wanted AI in denver, both are friends, both are willing to play with each other, both are willing to share, both want to win badly...i can see where you get that idea.

  21. #21

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    Quote Originally Posted by Calgary Jazz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Denver is a joke, they are not going to win Northwest not even talking about NBA championship. Who wants bet on that?
    what did they ever do to you? we may not win the title but at least we have a chance now that we traded for AI.

  22. #22

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    no YOU just watch. You are being absolutely ridiculous. I am sorry that you are bitter that we didn't get the player we never even had a chance of getting, but Denver is easily an elite team in the west now. Iverson might be WORSE here than anywhere else. Jermaine will cry like a girl if he doesn't get his shots where Camby and Nene/Najera don't even need the ball. The only other person who needs the ball on that team is Carmelo.

    Iverson is 31 years old, he is no longer the punk people think he is and you can't solely judge him based off his time in philly because he was always surrounded by CRAP.

    Also, lets not forget George Karl is one of the best coaches in this league. If Carlisle was the coach, yes it would probably end up being a trainwreck. I am calling it right now, Denver will be an elite team and probably a lower seed team in the west that ends up in the WCF. (due to suspensions/time it will take Melo and AI to gel with one another)

    I don't see how anyone thinks a player like AI could co exist with a player like Jermaine O'neal. JO might have the most inflated EGO in the NBA and a player like AI who is ten times better is not going to be looking for Jermaine.

    I think if there is any player in this league who would be a good pairing with JO it's Jason Kidd or maybe Steve Nash...basically just a good passer who an penetrate and shoot. Some might say Iverson is that, but he's more of a scorer obviously than a passer.

    Jo and AI would be just like Chris Webber and AI....nothing to talk about.
    brilliant post.

  23. #23

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like how you think JO would cry about his shots, but Melo and JR Smith won't. That's high comedy.
    they wont. they are on board with the whole AI thing PLUS (this is where it gets good) AI wants melo to win the title. in our offense there are plenty of shots to go around so melo will still get all of his.

    no worries.

  24. #24

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    Quote Originally Posted by Roferr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just can't see any great offensive player co-existing with Iverson. It may work for a while but AI's ego will get crimped when he doesn't get his 25 shots and he will become a mal-content.
    new AI = new attitude. you guys are making way too many assumptions. hes a different player and person than a few years ago. if this was 1999 i could see your point but right now this all sounds silly.

  25. #25
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,752

    Default Re: insider Hollinger calls Denver title contender and raves about how AI will fit in

    Quote Originally Posted by Calgary Jazz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Denver is a joke, they are not going to win Northwest not even talking about NBA championship. Who wants bet on that?
    Wow...you sound a little bitter...I'll bet that from when they get their whole team back to the end of the season, the Nuggets will have the best record in their division. Also, I'll bet that they get further in the playoffs than any team in their division.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •