Thread: Welcome to the Steelers' bandwagon (for a week)

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Welcome to the Steelers' bandwagon (for a week)

I know you don't want the risk of going to Baltimore in January to play against that defense and running game outdoors.

So since you'd like the Ravens to lose,

You'll find a team that appears to have recovered (winning five of its las six) from a near-fatal case of fumble-itis and is, along with San Diego, one of only two teams in the league ranked in the top-ten for both offense and defense. However, even if Pittsburgh beats Baltimore and the Bengals, they'll still miss the playoffs if KC beats Oakland (but stranger things have happened...)

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Default Re: Welcome to the Steeler's bandwagon (for a week)

I'm not rooting for the Steelers. I'm rooting against the Ravens. And if the ground can somehow open up and swallow both teams, all the better.

I hope they tie.

Default Re: Welcome to the Steeler's bandwagon (for a week)

A tie would certainly be fun for the tie-breaking rules, wouldn't it?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...,6579131.story
    From the Baltimore Sun

Shot at bye for Ravens takes hit with result
    The Ravens clinched their first AFC North crown since 2003 when the Bengals were beaten last night by the Colts, 34-16

By Jamison Hensley
    Sun Reporter

December 19, 2006

The Ravens clinched the AFC North last night, although it came at a price.

When the Indianapolis Colts came away with a 34-16 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals, the Ravens captured their first division title in three seasons, but their hopes of landing a first-round bye might have slipped through their grasp.

The only way the Ravens (11-3) can improve from a No. 3 seed is if the San Diego Chargers (12-2) or the Colts (11-3) lose in the season's final two weeks.

When laying out the three-week playoff schedule to his players, Ravens coach Brian Billick noticed what has become the primary goal for his team - and it wasn't a division title.

"When they saw the structure that said if we can get a bye the first week, they sat straight up in their chairs," he said.

If the Ravens remain the third seed, they would host a wild-card team in the first round of the playoffs. If they won, the Ravens would then advance to play at the No. 2 seed, in San Diego or Indianapolis.

To gain a first-round bye for the first time in team history, the Ravens likely need to win at Pittsburgh and home against the Buffalo Bills in addition to San Diego or Indianapolis slipping along the way.

The Chargers, who hold a one-game advantage over the Ravens, finish at Seattle (8-6) and home against the Arizona Cardinals (4-10). If the Ravens and San Diego end with the same record, the Ravens would own the tiebreaker by virtue of their 16-13 win over the Chargers on Oct. 1.

The Colts end the regular season at Houston (4-10) and home against the Miami Dolphins (6-8). Indianapolis holds the tiebreaker over the Ravens because it has a better record against common opponents.

That's why some of the Ravens found themselves cheering for an unlikely team last night: the Bengals (8-6).

"You never want to root for a divisional opponent. It's kind of tough," linebacker Bart Scott said. "I have to bite my tongue and root for Ocho [Bengals receiver Chad Johnson]."

The Ravens clinched a playoff berth with Sunday's 27-17 win over the Cleveland Browns. But their aspirations go beyond making the postseason.

In three previous trips to the playoffs, the Ravens have never earned a seed higher than fourth and have never hosted a playoff game after the first round.

If San Diego and Indianapolis both lose at some point and the Ravens win their final two games, the Ravens could sneak in as the AFC's No. 1 seed.

As the top seed, the Ravens would have home-field advantage throughout the playoffs, which has been a proven road to the Super Bowl. One No. 1 seed has made it to the NFL title game every year since the 1999 Super Bowl.

Plus, the Ravens have the NFL's best home record (41-14) since 2000.

"We're still in the battle to get home field and let the playoffs go through Baltimore," Scott said. "Hopefully, we can keep chugging along because we know it's a huge advantage and something we're fighting for. By no means do we shut it down here."

While some Ravens watched last night's Colts-Bengals game with interest - Billick even said he was going to watch it while working late in his office - others could have cared less despite the playoff implications.

Asked if he would tune into the game, linebacker Adalius Thomas said, "I think I got some Christmas shopping to do."

Some Ravens said they didn't watch last night's game because it only takes the focus off what they have to do, which is to end the season with victories against Pittsburgh and Buffalo.

"[The Monday night game is] not really important to us," defensive end Terrell Suggs said. "We know we have to handle our business."

Perhaps that's what has become most impressive about the Ravens this season. It's always been about focusing on their future.

Maybe that explains the tempered celebration in the locker room Sunday after the Ravens ended their two-year playoff drought.

"Great, we made the playoffs. That's fine and dandy," receiver Derrick Mason said. "If we didn't expect it, we would be whooping and hollering and high-fiving each other. But coming into the season we expected to make the playoffs. So, our agenda right now is to win the Super Bowl. Nothing less."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jockeying for position

The Ravens (11-3) hold the AFC's No. 3 playoff seed, behind the San Diego Chargers (12-2) and Indianapolis Colts (11-3), who have a tiebreaker edge over the Ravens. To secure a first-round bye, the Ravens must win their final two games and hope the Chargers or Colts lose one of their remaining games.

Default Re: Welcome to the Steelers' bandwagon (for a week)

I'm rooting for Baltimore. If NE doesn't make it far, I'd rather Baltimore or SD represent the AFC..simply because they are comeback teams. Last year, neither made the playoffs giving them an under-dog type of feeling to me.

I hear you. I'm torn here... assuming away the Steelers very, very unlikely playoff birth, I really like the way Baltimore plays defense.

But its Baltimore. I just can't do it. Jacksonville? I could get behind them. But I just can't figure them out at all, they don't seem very tough mentally even though they're really tough physically. And for San Diego, I'm still bitter about the 1994 AFC Title game ("Four More Yards") that stopped a better Pittsburgh team - on the goal line on the last play - than the 1995 team that played in SB XXX.

I'm not counting out the Patriots. Whether rebuilding or not, if they're healthy they are the team (and coach) to beat during January.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not counting out the Patriots. Whether rebuilding or not, if they're healthy they are the team (and coach) to beat during January.
    I still worry about inconsistency with them this year..Their WR corps is horrible..and Tom Brady does have off games..and when he does, his WRs never can make plays for him. It's kind of sad when your #1 WR is Reche Caldwell. The Pats will be 30 million under the cap at the start of next season...they are currently around 9 million under the cap.

But I know what you mean..it's never a good idea to count the Pats out after what they did back in 2003 with no running game and a relatively young QB.

As much as I love Cowher, head-to-head with NE in the playoffs has been a nightmare for us and other teams, too. I credit (1) coaching, (2) a well-coached and talented defesne and special teams, and (3) a QB that just knows how to make winning plays.

Thanks.

Well, Baltimore stomped Pitt.

Baltimore dominated the offensive side of the ball (without Jonathan Ogden) and the defensive side of the ball.

I said it a month ago (and then they played like **** against the Bengals) but Baltimore looks like a legit SuperBowl contender.

Over the second half of the season, we've looked like a playoff caliber also-ran. Unlike the first half of the season, where we played "hot potatoe" with the ball every week.