Default Suspensions

Anthony got 15
    Smith got 10
    Robinson got 10
    Collins got 6
    Jeffries got 4
    Nene got 1
    James got 1
    "Ever wonder what it's like to wonder what it's like to wonder, they get up out of bed but can't awaken from their slumber, they know what they've been told by those who know what they've been told, you see this hand me down knowledge generated ages ago, and I know what they've been told because I've been told the same thing, I had to broaden my horizons to expand on greater things..." Many Styles

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Suspensions

link?
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

I just saw this on the front page of ESPN, literally just as I was refreshing the page. All I saw was 15 for Melo, and 10 for Smith/Robinson. There's no link to a story yet, just the blurb on the front page of www.espn.com.

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    link?
    There's no link. It's on ESPN live right now. Plus each team is fined $500,000.

They need to suspend Isiah if they can confirm that he ordered the flagrant foul.

I like it, 15 games is good for me. You did good Stern. I swear I thought he would suspend them for like 3-4 games each.

Stern is doing a good job with how he is taking control of the NBA's image.
    It is smart how he is fining the teams not just the players because this will now start playing a factor in the "hiring" process.

for some reason, i thought i saw balkman trying to get out there too. i thought he would be hit with the 1 game like james.

15 and 10 is about right for me. i like it.

as for Thomas-of course he didn't get suspended. Even if they confirm he said not to go into the paint, they can't prove that he meant that Melo would get fouled. common sense says we know what it means, but that doesn't mean they can prove it. just like common sense says that Karl was sticking it to Zeke and the Knicks for Brown.

Stern did punish Isiah, he told him he would have to Coach the Knicks for the full remainder of the season

Why Not Us ?

Mood

thats sounds about right to me. good job NBA
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post
    Stern did punish Isiah, he told him he would have to Coach the Knicks for the full remainder of the season
    Yes, but think of this from the the Knicks perspective. A 500K fine plus having IT as their coach for the rest of the season. I mean, fair is fair, but this is way overboard.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

15 games is what JO's suspension (for not going into the stands) was reduced to. Sounds fair to me.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I think Jermaine's suspension was ridiculous, but not nearly as ridiculous as Carmelo's.

The penalties are just way too inconsistent. 15 games? Remember the chokehold Dale Davis had on Michael Smith with a record 16 players suspended? 2 games. And Greg Anthony threw several sucker punches like Carmelo a few years ago..in street clothes...and got 5 games.

Vernon Maxwell goes into the stands and hits someone. 10 games, yet Carmelo's suspension is 1.5 times longer. I don't care that it's after the brawl. I've seen countless fights that were much worse but didn't get 1/5 of the penalties handed out.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade View Post
    That's not punishment for Zeke......but job security for him and punishment for Knicks fans.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    The penalties are just way too inconsistent.
    Basically, I think Stern has put the players on a "zero tolerance policy" with regards to things like this, to try and repair the league's image. That's why penalties are getting stiffer. With a "zero tolerance policy" you have to take quick and decisive action or it becomes a joke.

That's why the Pacers were so quick and harsh with their punishment of the players involved in the "strip club incident" over the summer. Oh, wait... Bad example.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I think Jermaine's suspension was ridiculous, but not nearly as ridiculous as Carmelo's.

The penalties are just way too inconsistent. 15 games? Remember the chokehold Dale Davis had on Michael Smith with a record 16 players suspended? 2 games. And Greg Anthony threw several sucker punches like Carmelo a few years ago..in street clothes...and got 5 games.

Vernon Maxwell goes into the stands and hits someone. 10 games, yet Carmelo's suspension is 1.5 times longer. I don't care that it's after the brawl. I've seen countless fights that were much worse but didn't get 1/5 of the penalties handed out.
    Yeah...but that was before Stern got...well....stern....when it comes to handing out suspensions when it comes to protecting the NBA image / PR.

We can only measure these suspensions against what has recently happened...most notably the Brawl at the Palace. But since you think that JONeal's suspension was unfair...I guess you can see that Carmello's suspension is unreasonable as well.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Seems rather excessive to me.

I know the League is trying to make this behavior stop entirely and institute a zero-tolerance policy, but giving Melo 15 games is probably going to make this an even bigger story than it needs to be. Now, the Nuggets are probably not making the Playoffs and we get to hear about that for the next 2 years straight. You give em 6 or 8 games and it doesn't kill the Nuggets season in and of itself, and the story goes away quicker.

I mean, I know Melo in a way re-escalated a situation that seemed to be almost calmed down...but is that the reasoning behind 15 games? Or is it simply because dude actually connected the punch? Why is throwing a good punch that taps someone's jaw that much worse that swinging violently and missing badly like what happens in most NBA fights?

I know there's the whole Kermit Washington perception that affects that side of it, but he didn't clock a guy that wasn't looking. Mardy didn't seem to expect a right hook, but they were already in each others' faces and had been staring each other down for most of the altercation.

Not to mention the fact that Stern just forever tarnished one of his prized, young stars.

Just a bad PR move by Stern in my opinion.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Nerd.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Seems rather excessive to me.

I know the League is trying to make this behavior stop entirely and institute a zero-tolerance policy, but giving Melo 15 games is probably going to make this an even bigger story than it needs to be. Now, the Nuggets are probably not making the Playoffs and we get to hear about that for the next 2 years straight. You give em 6 or 8 and it doesn't kill the Nuggets season in and of itself, and the story goes away quicker.

I mean, I know Melo in a way re-escalated a situation that seemed to be almost calmed down...but is that the reasoning behind 15 games? Or is it simply because dude connected? Why is throwing a good punch that taps someone's jaw that much worse that swinging violently and missing badly like what happens in most NBA fights?

I know there's the whole Kermit Washington perception that affects that side of it, but he didn't clock a guy that wasn't looking. Mardy didn't seem to expect a right hook, but they were already in each others' faces and had been staring each other down for most of the altercation.

Not to mention the fact that Stern just forever tarnished one of his prized, young stars.

Just a bad PR move by Stern in my opinion.
    No, Stern didn't tarnish one of "his prized, young stars"...Carmello Anthony did it to himself. Pure and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    No, Stern didn't tarnish one of "his prized, young stars"...Carmello Anthony did it to himself. Pure and simple.
    Well...yes, you are definitely right.

But guys like Larry Bird and Dr. J and Kevin McHale and Kareem and Reggie Miller and Greg Anthony and Doug Christie and Rick Fox and Alonzo Mourning and Charles Oakley and dozens of other NBA players have got into in-game fights where they have done things that they surely regret.

But by giving Melo 15 games and saying his actions were 150% worse than anyone else involved is pretty much saying "Yup...This guy is a thug" to all sports fans.

Don't get me wrong, the fact that Stern would ignore Carmelo's status in the League is commendable, I just think he went overboard in the other direction.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

15 games is excessive for a player hitting another player. This suspension will not hold.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

I think Melo will get it down to 9-10..which is about right. Either way, I like the number of games they got.

15 I guess is probably just a little over the top, but I was thinking bare minimum possible 5 games with 20 probably being the worst possible case. It

Melo voluntarily placed himself into the fight .
    He was not acting in self defense or trying to defuse the situation.
    After the the fight was pretty much broken up and players were being restrained, he reignited the brawl by
    throwing a cowardly sucker punch and proceeding to moonwalk back to the Nuggets bench.

I can see in the heat of the moment getting up in someone else's face or throw a jab after getting knocked senseless by a flagrant foul.

Or if another player is coming after you or trying to take a swing at you or one of your teamates. But from what I could tell that was not the case, I could be wrong.

Why Not Us ?

ok this is wierd, posting from my phone...anywaysI feel like Stern and the NBA are over reacting once again. Players in sports have been fighting since day one. This wasn't that bad. I feel like it should have been more like 5 to 8 games. Relax Stern!

I like the fact that the guys who started jumping around tackling/hitting people got more than the guys who were involved with the plays starting the incident. The message is "don't get involved just to escalate things".