Thread: Ok, so how many of you ate at this olive garden in the last few days?

Hybrid View

Default Ok, so how many of you ate at this olive garden in the last few days?

Default Re: Ok, so how many of you ate at this olive garden in the last few days?

Olive Garden is overrated.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

_PD_

Default Re: Ok, so how many of you ate at this olive garden in the last few days?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Olive Garden is overrated.
    I remember a thread over a year ago where people were asked their favorite Italian. It was spooky the number of people who said things like "Well you can't get much better than OG." Those people need to get out more often. I could name 5 that are definitely better, and another 5 where there might be some debate. OG is better than Fazoli's however.

This news report is a little late. My brother says he started hearing reports of this on Tuesday or Wednesday when there were 19 people affected. 300 is a bit more than that. WTF was OG doing between 19 and 300 ??!!!!??! Waiting for someone to die?

As it turns out sick employees spread the flu to the customer's

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    As it turns out sick employees spread the flu to the customer's
    Uncle Buck must work for, or own stock in, the Olive Garden

Norovirus determined to have sickened nearly 400 diners
    Norovirus gets its name from Norwalk, Ohio, where the strain was first detected after an outbreak at a school there in the late 1960s. It is caused by fecal contamination.

Olive Garden to reopen after scouring
    Norovirus determined to have sickened nearly 400 diners

The Castleton Olive Garden, closed since Friday after nearly 400 diners fell ill, will reopen at 4 p.m. today after a thorough cleaning over the weekend, according to restaurant and health officials.

Cleared for cooking: Customers found the doors locked Friday at the Olive Garden at 6130 E. 82nd St. in Castleton. The restaurant will reopen at 4 p.m. today.

The Marion County Health Department still does not know precisely the cause of the norovirus that sickened patrons at the Castleton Olive Garden.

Officials said the department will monitor the Castleton Olive Garden closely. Health officials will be a "consistent presence" at the restaurant, said Health Department spokesman John Althardt.

He declined to say precisely what that means but said officials could be at the restaurant "maybe every day" this week.

The Marion County Health Department gave its permission Monday, after restaurant workers scoured the restaurant twice since Friday.
    Health Department officials determined that diners and some workers had been sickened by a norovirus, said John Althardt, a Health Department spokesman.

Norovirus gets its name from Norwalk, Ohio, where the strain was first detected after an outbreak at a school there in the late 1960s. It is caused by fecal contamination.

The virus is highly contagious, and even a mild case can cause nausea, diarrhea and fever.

Symptoms typically last 48 hours, said Reid Mattison, a Methodist Hospital doctor who specializes in infectious diseases. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 23 million Americans get it every year.
    "We've probably all had it," Mattison said, and it often occurs in waves -- wherever people congregate and dine together. "You'll see it in nursing homes, hospitals, schools, day-care centers. It can be difficult to pinpoint the source if it's a single restaurant. It's easier if it breaks out on a cruise ship."

Last week, hundreds of patrons at the Castleton Olive Garden complained of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and fever after they ate at the restaurant at 6130 E. 82nd St.

The Castleton Olive Garden, which opened in the mid-1980s, was last inspected two months ago. It had several violations. A worker was seen bare-handing some cheese; another worker failed to wash his hands properly; still another worker was eating in the kitchen.

No fines were levied. When the inspector checked back in a week, no violations were found.

The Olive Garden chain is owned by Orlando, Fla.-based Darden Restaurants, which claims to be the world's largest operator of casual dining restaurants. The company operates 1,400 Red Lobster, Bahama Breeze, Smokey Bones Barbeque & Grill and Seasons 52 restaurants in North America. Five of its Olive Gardens are in the Indianapolis area.

The company said in a written statement that the illness was isolated to the Castleton restaurant.

Ed Culver, the Health Department's chief administrator for food safety, said that "everything that can be done has been done" to remove the norovirus contamination.

But it's impossible to be certain whether all the germs have been vanquished. "Food safety is about minimizing risk," Culver said. "It's not about totally eliminating risk.

"Right now, I'd say Olive Garden is as safe as any other restaurant."
    No Olive Garden employees lost their jobs because of the matter, according to company spokesman Steve Coe.

What is a "norovirus"
    What is a norovirus?A norovirus is highly contagious and affects the gastrointestinal system of humans, according to Dr. Judy Monroe, the state health commissioner.

"Most people think they have food poisoning when they actually have norovirus," she said.

• Not the flu: Although commonly called "stomach flu," norovirus infection should not be confused with influenza, which is a respiratory illness accompanied by fever, sore throat, cough and muscle aches. Symptoms of norovirus include vomiting, diarrhea, cramps and nausea, and can appear from 12 to 72 hours after exposure. Health officials say norovirus should not be confused with other bacterial infections, such as E. coli and salmonella.

• Exposure: People usually become infected by eating or drinking items that are contaminated, touching contaminated surfaces or objects and then touching their mouth, or having direct contact with another person who is infected. The virus can survive outside the body for a long period of time on surfaces such as hands, countertops, doorknobs and dishes.

• Duration: Symptoms usually last 24 to 48 hours, although people may be able to infect others up to two weeks after their symptoms end.

• Treatment: There is no treatment for norovirus, although most people get better in one or two days and suffer no long-term health effects. The best way to prevent the virus is to wash your hands frequently.

-- Indiana State Department of Health

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...442/-1/ZONES04
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

I wish I'd been there, I could use the money from the impending class-action lawsuit

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeesh, I ate there just a few months ago.

I did get really sick eating at the Cheesecake Factory once in roughly the same area.

I don't really like the Olive Garden that much - I love Italian food - but Olive Garden just isn't that good. But I would have no qualms about eating their tomorrow if I could. In fact after all the cleaning that has taken place - I would guess the Olive Garden is probably the cleanest restaurant in town.

The lawsuit I think is a joke - so you got sick for a day - poor baby - I've gotten sick after eating at a resturant before and I got to stay home from work - so it was a good thing

Wow, that's absolutely disgusting...I'll take the local Taco Bell any day of the week! You can never go wrong with the Bell.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Wow, that's absolutely disgusting...I'll take the local Taco Bell any day of the week! You can never go wrong with the Bell.
    I happen to know of even worse things that happened years ago in the Taco Bell in that very same area.

_PD_

But I would have no qualms about eating their tomorrow if I could. In fact after all the cleaning that has taken place - I would guess the Olive Garden is probably the cleanest restaurant in town.
    I would say that is probably true.

The lawsuit I think is a joke - so you got sick for a day - poor baby - I've gotten sick after eating at a resturant before and I got to stay home from work - so it was a good thing
    My complaint is that they appeared to have unnecessarily caused about 200 people to get sick after they knew they had a problem. This is what I would sue them for, not that I got sick, but that they put my health at risk, presumably via a coverup. Having a food person get sick is just part of life, but not jumping in to fix it is negligence and it won't be that hard to prove.
    They'll settle, the attorneys will get 40% and they'll all be able to get a meal at a fancy restaurant.

• Duration: Symptoms usually last 24 to 48 hours, although people may be able to infect others up to two weeks after their symptoms end.
    This however concerns me. Are those workers still working there? They said no one got fired. If they moved on, are they working at some other restaurant now? What's the deal on this?
    BTW, if this is passed via fecal contamination it probably means someone pooped and didn't wash. If that was my restaurant, they'd be fired on the spot.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My grandparents ate at the castleton food court and got sick and so did some other people I know.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods