Thread: I have a question about cell phones

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default I have a question about cell phones

I currently got a second cell phone, it is a nextel cell phone but I am interested in switching to a slimmer line phone, something like a Katana or a razr.

I have heard that it is possible to take my sim card and just to put in a new phone, and I would not need to switch my service provider. Is this correct?

If so, would any of you happen to know where I could get a good deal on just the phone itslef (besdies ebay)?

Default Re: I have a question about cell phones

Cell phones turn you into a crazy. Read "Cell" by Stephen King and get back to me about it

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

OK - the cell phone you buy must be compatible with your provider's tower system.

Verizon and Sprint use the same tower system (CDMA, if I recall). Cingular, TMobile and I think US Cellular use a different system (GSM).

THEN there is the problem of phones having a setting in them that prevents their use with other companies. This is called "locking", and is done by the manufacturers so that different providers can have exclusive deals for different phones. All you need to do is type in a code to "unlock" a phone, and it usually costs anywhere from $10-$50 to buy the code from a third party vendor.

I recently bought a T-Mobile blackberry (pearl) and paid $50 to unlock it so that it could be used with my Cingular sim card. Now I'm the only Cingular person I know with the hot new black berry. That would be impressive if it didn't turn into "last year's" blackberry after about 2 months.

Hope this info is helpful.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

After my phone got damaged, out of warranty but before the 2 year period was up to qualify for a cheap replacement, I bought a new-in-the-box compatible phone on e-bay for about a third of the cost I could find anywhere else. Sure it was last year's model but I didn't need anything fancy.

You just have to get one compatible with your carrier, in my case verizon.

Verizon wanted like $175 for their cheapest no-frills phone, and mine on e-bay was won for like $60 and it's a Samsung camera phone. I got the phone, called up Verizon on my home phone, read off the number on the cell phone's battery pack, and they activated it for free. Not a problem.

There are of course lots of used phones or reconditioned phones on e-bay. I'd look only for "new in the box unopened" from a vendor with near 100% positive feedback. I think I searched "Verizon cell phone new" and kept bidding until I got one for what I wanted to spend.

I bought from the seller named "cellulartalk" who is a powerseller with >8000 transactions and 98% positive. Fast and easy for me.

VA, I think there was a guy who introduced himself to the forum the other day selling some cheap electronics. Check with Btown He bought 10 of something.

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

I got a brnd new inported phone for only 50 USD Dollars!
    Narf!

Thanks for all of the advice guys!

Thanks LA.

I have not done a lot of research (need to start packing soon) but it looks like I am not going to be able to get a RAZR since I have Nextel as my service provider.

I have looked at a few of the Katana's, and they look pretty nice.

One last question. Are the sim card and the battery the same thing? If not how would I go about locating the sim card? Thanks

sim card is a tiny card usually under the battery.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have looked at a few of the Katana's, and they look pretty nice.
    I got that white one - they're pretty nice.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gyron View Post
    sim card is a tiny card usually under the battery.
    Ding.

Also not to be confused with the media memory card that many phones now have.

Sim card is a one inch long rectangular piece of plastic with a cut-out 45 degree corner. Shouldn't be too hard to spot in the phone once you take out the battery.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Btown- Were you serious or was that a joke?

Robertmto- what is the difference between your phone and the Razr? How is the camera on your phone (video?) And is the text messaging any good (I generally sent 80-100 texts a day, the blackberry is great 4 that)

LA-thanks. I found the SIM card, but pulling it out may be a challenge. I'm not sure how it comes out, but I want to be extra careful as not to damage anything.

Once again thanks all

I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar

VA- I can usually spell correctly. Enjoy Indy.
    Narf!

Quote Originally Posted by Robobtowncolt View Post
    I can usually spell correctly.
    It's all of the other words that cause problems...........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

NARF!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    Robertmto- what is the difference between your phone and the Razr? How is the camera on your phone (video?) And is the text messaging any good (I generally sent 80-100 texts a day, the blackberry is great 4 that)
    No video unfortuneatly, camera works good - tho i cant get the flash to work (the lady said it had a built in flash) and i text my *** off as well.

Oh and its slightly bigger than a Razr, but it doesnt have the problem with dust getting under the screens. Thank God!!!
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I just read today supposedly it has become illigal for cell phone companies to lock cell phones.

I decided on the Motorola RAZR V3m from Sprint.

I do have one last question, if any of you would be so kind as to help a confused soul out. I have a SIM card from my old nextel phone, but I can not for the life of me figure out where the card would go in the phone. I powered up the phone today and it works, but the current phone info reads the phone number as:000-000-XXXX with the last four X's being a actual number.

Could any you direct me in the proper direction. I am assuming since the phone is already registering a number that means the phone already has a sim card I will need to take out before inserting my own

Thank you very much

Can someone verify the information I received this morning. Is this in fact correct, that I will need to switch my service provider from nextel to sprint?

The phone you purchased is a sprint phone, not a nextel, that's why there is no sim card slot. if you want, you can call nextel and switch your service from nextel to sprint with no early termination fees.