Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Iverson Trade Speculation/Rumor Thread (Updates Here)

Default Re: Ric Bucher on NBA Coast to Coast

I'd do any deal that involves ditching Jax and keeping Danny...but especially ditching Jax. I just don't think I can stomach 2 gangsta types (AI and Jax) on this team...at least AI has proven all-star talent, which makes him tolerable.

With the problems LB and DW have had these last 2 years, and people want them to prove they are stupid. At last they have go rid of one of the trouble makers, and people want them to sign another one. If they do you can kiss the team good bye. Not saying that he is not the most talented guards in the NBA, just is trouble spelt in caps

Quote Originally Posted by Kestas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    local press here in LTU stated four days ago that Denver are most likely to make the trade. of course, that was a very bold thing to say at that point (basically it was said because there's a Lithuanian player in Denver), but it would be interesting if that pretty wild guess would materialise in the end.. although I'm for the trade with the Pacers (but I would not want Saras to be given away, Sixers are much worse than the Pacers in terms of teamplay, imho). however, if Carlisle and co would not manage to control Iverson's ambitions, the team would not benefit one single bit (imho). first of all, JO would have to keep the leader's mantle and not give it up to the new man.
    Why would you want to control Iverson's ambitions? His ambitions are to win...a passion and fire that we haven't really seen here in a while in those kinds of players. I would love to let AI loose because I know he would do his absolute best to get us to the promised land.

Take a looksie through Hoopshype's rumor section today with quotes from local papers. From what I gather, GS might be the front-runner:

http://www.hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    OK, I just saw the Bucher thing on Sportscenter. He needs to check his facts.

He says Daniels signed over the summer. HE DID NOT SIGN. He was traded straight up for Austin Croshere. Daniels was not a free agent.

He's clearly confusing Daniels with Harrington. And this is a "professional" sports reporter...
    Yeah I saw that last night, and ESPN Radio is reporting this morning that Ric Bucher has indicated Indiana and Denver are the most likely to land AI.

Chris Broussard this morning on Mike and Mike said Sactown out , Boston is still in the mix, as well as Indiana( who would be offering Tinsley and or Jackson, Daniels, and maybe other players ) and Denver.

Minnesota would only be in the running if this drags out as they do not have the pieces right now that Philly wants.

Here is Stein's article this morning ,referring to Bucher's info.

Iverson, sources say, would welcome a move to either Minnesota or Boston, but the issues confronting the Wolves and Celtics haven't changed. The Wolves don't have a first-round pick to package with the young lead guard Philly covets (Villanova alumnus Randy Foye) and the Celts (so far) can't get Philly to take the daunting step of trading Iverson within its own division unless it includes Al Jefferson and/or Gerald Green in the deal.

My ESPN The Magazine colleague Ric Bucher reported Tuesday night on SportsCenter that Iverson is open to an Indiana move as well, with the Pacers and Denver Nuggets -- presumably another team Iverson would sanction given the presence of Carmelo Anthony -- both increasing their interest Tuesday and both better-positioned than the Wolves or Celts to assemble a trade Philly likes.

All four, though, have one thing in common. All see their odds increase, no matter what above variables tell us, if Iverson can continue to dissuade the teams he doesn't like from making bids.

Without even having official trade-blocking power.
    ESPN

Why Not Us ?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Denver's proposal is as good or even slightly less compared to ours, he'll be a Nugget. Superstars are usually sent to the other conference so their former team only has to face them twice. I think a lesser offer from Denver, plus that factor makes it at least equally appealing, and may just sell it.

Melo and AI is a scary thought, but I don't see it working quite as well as JO and AI. Melo is definitely the on- and off- court leader of that team, in every way. Melo's style is actually quite similar to Iverson, just stronger inside using more power. JO and AI seem to fit together better because JO has a better inside game than Melo, and having AI would effectively limit his need to take 15 ft jumpers. JO is also questioned as a leader, at least by us but I'd wager it's that way for some players as well. I know some people would put Melo above JO from a "teamwork" standpoint, but I think JO would really have a much easier time than Melo. As evidence, look at the dip in JO's scoring to allow for Al's, while JO has taken more of a focus on defense.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

If we dont trade Jackson, there is no way in hell he could start on this team. He would need to come of the bench and I hope for the sake of winning games Rick Carlisle knows that.

By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
    December 13, 2006

NO MOVES EXPECTED

Trade talks heat up Friday, when most players who signed during the offseason can be moved. But coach George Karl said the Nuggets are in no hurry to do anything.

"I'm very happy with my team," Karl said. "I think the team is in a good place. The core of our team is very strong."

Rocky Mountain News
    Hmm not sure if I believe that or if it's just spin.

Why Not Us ?

Default Re: any truth to this found this on realgm

Link isn't working

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    If we dont trade Jackson, there is no way in hell he could start on this team. He would need to come of the bench and I hope for the sake of winning games Rick Carlisle knows that.

What if they wanted both Al, and Danny? I think I'd still want to do it. Jax could start at the 3 until Williams is ready.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That 3 way with Min had better not be right. Ricky Davis and Jackson on the same team? Seems like not such a good idea.

Kestas

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Why would you want to control Iverson's ambitions? His ambitions are to win...a passion and fire that we haven't really seen here in a while in those kinds of players. I would love to let AI loose because I know he would do his absolute best to get us to the promised land.
    that would be a suicide (puting all money on the raw tallent of one player). besides, by saying ambition I ment "egoism" first and foremost. you see, in order to carry the team to some sort of success (I'd call NBA finas a success for the Pacers, nothing less), the star must be unselfish, sensing his offs and immediately switching to the teamplay. Like Nowitzki, for example (although he's a ball hog in the European terms as well ). Such star must not act selfishly on the court or off it, he must never complain about minutes or coache's decisions, he must never act as the embodiment of the team he plays in. also such player must be able to distribute the actual load onto other teammates even when he's having a very good day, becdause when he's out, these same teammates will have to keep winning without him.
    btw, don't you think Pacers with J.O. and AI would look somewhat simmilar to the Heat? only AI would be the speaking one (Shaq) while J.O. would be the quet leader (Wade). I do believe Iverson has some teamplay hidden somewhere deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Leisure Suit Larry View Post
    How the hell do you know that? You know both of them?
    Do you? Quit being an a55!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kestas View Post
    that would be a suicide (puting all money on the raw tallent of one player). besides, by saying ambition I ment "egoism" first and foremost. you see, in order to carry the team to some sort of success (I'd call NBA finas a success for the Pacers, nothing less), the star must be unselfish, sensing his offs and immediately switching to the teamplay. Like Nowitzki, for example (although he's a ball hog in the European terms as well ). Such star must not act selfishly on the court or off it, he must never complain about minutes or coache's decisions, he must never act as the embodiment of the team he plays in. also such player must be able to distribute the actual load onto other teammates even when he's having a very good day, becdause when he's out, these same teammates will have to keep winning without him.
    btw, don't you think Pacers with J.O. and AI would look somewhat simmilar to the Heat? only AI would be the speaking one (Shaq) while J.O. would be the quet leader (Wade). I do believe Iverson has some teamplay hidden somewhere deep.
    Kobe has three rings. What, Wade did not dominate the ball? Jordan did not take most of the shots? You see, the Mavs lost. An unbalanced team with one player taking most of the shots beat them. In the NBA, you have to have one or two really talented players. The Pistons are the exception, not the rule.

And before you go on a tangent about European basketball being superior, let me say that I agree. But we are not trying to win the Euroleague and we are not playing with FIBA rules/refs. We are trying to win the NBA title, and to do that you have to have a team with a superstar player or two.

I've pretty much been ranting and raving on here for about a week about how there is no possible way we get Iverson....And just when they let me out, they PUULLLLLLL me back in.

Looks like the market for Iverson isn't quite as strong as I would think. I really have a hard time believing Boston and Chicago aren't making any effort here, but if they're really not, and if none of these other teams are gonna give up draft picks either....who knows? Maybe we got a shot.

As for specifics...I'm guessing Harrington would have to be involved, just for our own future payroll concerns. Otherwise, (and assuming BK isn't dumb enough to take Jax), we'd start next year with JO ($19.7), AI ($20.1), Al ($8.4) and Jax ($6.6) accounting for $54.8 million in payroll. That would mean we're already above this year's cap number with just four players. Considering the luxury tax threshold this year was at $63 million (I believe), and the Simons seeming unwillingness to go over that number, we'd need to find 9 other bodies for around $10-$15 million next year to avoid the tax.

JO, Al, and Jax are the hook until 2010 as well, which wouldn't help matters in terms of flexibility. And assuming the reason Danny isn't going anywhere is because he's a foundation in our long-term plan, the Simons will need to throw an extension at him next summer. We could end up getting a bargain if he doesn't truly "break out" this year, but we're still probably looking at 5 years/$40 million or so.

Add that to the others and....well it's a lot of money.

That said, my ideal trade that makes some sense for both teams would be:

Tinsley/Al/Marquis/Shawne for Iverson/Korver

Philly would be taking on about $1 million in salary, and I doubt they want all those long-term deals...But Al is probably underpaid, and possibly so is Quis. Tins is reasonably paid if he's healthy.

Korver would be a HUUUUGE fan favorite in Indy. I doubt they add him to this though....probably would have to be Hunter instead though.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    Do you? Quit being an a55!
    Can always count on ABA.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Remember when they said the deal would be done by Tuesday?

This is just Ron all over again. It's not like there weren't rumors about Ron "about to be traded to..." every day for the entire time up to the trade. Every day there are 3-4 new rumors from "reliable sources" that seem to contradict each other.

Unless they are waiting on the 15th for some reason (Quis/Harrington) I have my doubts about "Indy is a front runner and about to get AI". Sounds like leverage BS to me, possibly coming out from AI's agent.

Bickerstaff has come out saying that the Bobcats made NO OFFER for AI to refuse to accept. Maybe he is spinning it, but he seemed pretty strongly opinioned on the issue and confident with the direction they are developing that team.

And yet that trade was considered even more than rumor the way it was reported. If that was BS just think what some of these rumors must be. I think sources are turning phone calls into "serious talks".

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    OK, I just saw the Bucher thing on Sportscenter. He needs to check his facts.

He says Daniels signed over the summer. HE DID NOT SIGN. He was traded straight up for Austin Croshere. Daniels was not a free agent.

He's clearly confusing Daniels with Harrington. And this is a "professional" sports reporter...
    And for Able's response too...

From Larry Coon's Salary Cap FAQ...
    See Item #80
    For sign-and-trade transactions, the initial trade which completes the transaction is obviously allowed, even though it occurs right after the player is signed. What's not clear is whether the player's new team can subsequently trade him prior to three months or December 15. While a literal reading of the CBA might suggest that such players cannot be subsequently traded, the league actually considers this situation to be undefined, and won't resolve the matter until a team actually tries to make such a trade.
    So both Quis and Harrington are in that gray area.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Remember when they said the deal would be done by Tuesday?

This is just Ron all over again. It's not like there weren't rumors about Ron "about to be traded to..." every day for the entire time up to the trade. Every day there are 3-4 new rumors from "reliable sources" that seem to contradict each other.

Unless they are waiting on Harrington I have my doubts about "Indy is a front runner and about to get AI". Sounds like leverage BS to me, possibly coming out from AI's agent.

Bickerstaff has come out saying that the Bobcats made NO OFFER for AI to refuse to accept. Maybe he is spinning it, but he seemed pretty strongly opinioned on the issue and confident with the direction they are developing that team.

And yet that trade was considered even more than rumor the way it was reported. If that was BS just think what some of these rumors must be. I think sources are turning phone calls into "serious talks".
    Yeah, I never understood how A.I. would've fit into what Charolette is doing down there. I really like what they've got with some very good, very young players. Iverson was about the last thing they needed there.

As for the multitude of rumors that come up, yeah most of them are probably BS. But it's a lot of fun discussing them, picking and pulling, and playing GM for a day (or a month or two in many cases).
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Nuggets have gone 12-4 since their 0-3 start, so they might be a little hesitant to make a bold move. JR Smith has filled their shooting guard void quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Nuggets have gone 12-4 since their 0-3 start, so they might be a little hesitant to make a bold move. JR Smith has filled their shooting guard void quite well.
    I read a George Karl quote where he said that he was quite pleased with their roster. Why would they give that up? AI is great but if you're flowing like they are...why risk it?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think you guys are right on Denver. Its going to come down to Us, Boston, Minny and Golden State. The Clippers are also a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    I think you guys are right on Denver. Its going to come down to Us, Boston, Minny and Golden State. The Clippers are also a possibility.
    All the Clippers have to do is throw in Livingston...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think we are most likely out of it at this point. It seems like all the rumors are circling around Golden State, Minny and Denver. We are probably still in it, but as quite a long shot. I'm guessing we refused to include Danny and they just weren't interested in any other package.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    I think we are most likely out of it at this point. It seems like all the rumors are circling around Golden State, Minny and Denver. We are probably still in it, but as quite a long shot. I'm guessing we refused to include Danny and they just weren't interested in any other package.
    The less I hear about us, the better. It's always the dark horse. We're obviously not going to lose interest so for now, I like all the attention on those teams, especially since I don't understand why Denver would make a trade, I don't think Minnesota can come up with the players, and GS is unwilling to part with its young guns.