Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vecsey says Pacers offering everyone except JO and Grange for AI

Sports Logo

Default Re: Vecsey says Pacers offering everyone except JO and Grange for AI

Its wishful thinking that he will end up in Indy. I will stick with what I've said before....Chicago ( now seems unlikely ) or Boston. Given SAS connection with Philly....I wouldn't be surprised if its Boston.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Lord help the Warriors if they give up Monta for AI. If they give him up to get him, then we dont deserve AI on this team. Monta is gonna be scoring 25 ppg in this league for years to come and he is like a decade younger then AI.

I can't see us trading 3 starters for one. Including Al in on this deal seams farfetched from the Pacers side.........and not a real need for the 6'ers either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Dude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lord help the Warriors if they give up Monta for AI. If they give him up to get him, then we dont deserve AI on this team. Monta is gonna be scoring 25 ppg in this league for years to come and he is like a decade younger then AI.
    I feel as if this is a deal-breaker. I think the Sixers want Ellis. If GSW includes him then they have a deal.

Also, I feel as if the Celtics have to include Jefferson or Green to make the Sixers willing to trade within their division.

Either one of these teams have AI if they want him. The question is if they want to sacrifice that much...nicely played by the Sixers here.

Is our offer better than GS or Boston's if they don't include Ellis or Jefferson/Green respectively? Who knows? I'd say yes...but then again, this is totally up to the other teams' willingness to give up their young guns.

I just don't see Golden State offering Ellis, or Boston offering Green. Those are future franchise players, period. It would be useless to deal them away for Ivy at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post

That leaves Indiana (offering Jamaal Tinsley and just about anyone except Jermaine O'Neal and Danny Granger) and Boston. Danny Ainge is determined to land himself an established veteran and Iverson is it. Paul Pierce is not available. Plenty of sacrificial Celtics are there for the 76ers' plucking, except Al Jefferson. It'd be stunning to think otherwise.

That screeching in the background is Jerry West beseeching outgoing (?) owner Michael Heisley for permission to enter the chase.

peter.vecsey@nypost.com
    -------------------------
    Will,

Memphis would be a great partner for the Sixers. They could relatively easily part with Eddie Jone (expiring $15M contract), Hakim Warrick and Kyle Lowry for Iverson. Sixers would get contract relief after this year and two young players which would be expendable in Memphis.

A healthy Gasol coming back soon would mean the Grizz would start Iverson, Dahntay Jones (good defender), Mike Miller, Gasol and Swift.

Philly gets a young PG and a young combo forward.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Stephen A. Smith came on ESPN last night about 9ish and said that the teams that most people have mentioned aren't wanting to give up the players that Sixers want. What I found interesting is that Boston was one of those teams mentioned along with Golden State. But he did say that Indiana made the most sense and that they are pretty much willing to trade any of their players with the exception of JO and DG.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
    Will,

Memphis would be a great partner for the Sixers. They could relatively easily part with Eddie Jone (expiring $15M contract), Hakim Warrick and Kyle Lowry for Iverson. Sixers would get contract relief after this year and two young players which would be expendable in Memphis.

A healthy Gasol coming back soon would mean the Grizz would start Iverson, Dahntay Jones (good defender), Mike Miller, Gasol and Swift.

Yeah, that trade seems to make sense for both teams.

I don't see Iverson becoming a Pacer anyhow.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Will,

Unfortunately for them, they're really not competitive here because of their ownership situation.

Will,

Like Rexnom said, Jerry West is prohibited from trading anybody because of the sale of the team.

I still do not see a combination of players that would be attractive from the Pacers to Phillie. Phillie should want either complete cap relief or promising talent or draft picks or all 3. They won't get any of that from the Pacers quite frankly. Shawne aside, I don't get this talk at all. Only way is if Phillie is just really not getting any offers and the Pacers are the best of the worst.

Indy is not the right market for AI, Indy has no patience for non conformists to begin with, and I don't mean that relative to race, but didn't AI get supposedly called some racist expletives according to him, would he even okay a trade to Indy. In 3 years you'll be paying AI and JO appr. 40 million???? Is that right?

The only way you do it, is if you think you really will get a title. Kinda the Shaq factor you way over pay on the back end, but you win it all, so it's worth it.

I saw on CNNSI though that the Pacers were 2:1 favorites to get him as of Monday, so I must be missing something.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...on.buzz/1.html

"One Internet betting site had the T'wolves and Pacers listed as the favorites to acquire Iverson, at 2:1 odds. The Celtics were listed at 3:1 and the Nuggets at 5:1.

Then again, that was as of Monday. By Tuesday everything had changed."

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I still do not see a combination of players that would be attractive from the Pacers to Phillie. Phillie should want either complete cap relief or promising talent or draft picks or all 3. They won't get any of that from the Pacers quite frankly. Shawne aside, I don't get this talk at all. Only way is if Phillie is just really not getting any offers and the Pacers are the best of the worst.

Indy is not the right market for AI, Indy has no patience for non conformists to begin with, and I don't mean that relative to race, but didn't AI get supposedly called some racist expletives according to him, would he even okay a trade to Indy. In 3 years you'll be paying AI and JO appr. 40 million???? Is that right?

The only way you do it, is if you think you really will get a title. Kinda the Shaq factor you way over pay on the back end, but you win it all, so it's worth it.

I saw on CNNSI though that the Pacers were 2:1 favorites to get him as of Monday, so I must be missing something.

"One Internet betting site had the T'wolves and Pacers listed as the favorites to acquire Iverson, at 2:1 odds. The Celtics were listed at 3:1 and the Nuggets at 5:1.

You said it. We're the best of the worst. Charlotte could have had him but refused to give up young talent. I'm sure Dallas could have had him but Cuban nixed that as well. If Boston gave up Green/Jefferson, he's theirs. Same with GS and Ellis or Richardson. Clippers? Still in it but Livingston and Kaman are off-limits. It's all about giving in.

The Boston offer sans Green/Jefferson is probably some combination of Telfair, Perkins, a pick, and West along with probably Wally (maybe Ratliff's contract, which doesn't even expire until next year). Is that better than our package? Probably not. Especially not within the division. You throw Green or Jefferson in their and immediately it becomes much more appealing.

Look at Golden State. If Ellis or Richardson aren't involved, then it's a package of Murphy, Dunleavy, Pietrus. Something of that sort. Maybe they throw in Davis. Are they willing to part with Diogu or Biedrins? I don't think so. Is this package better than ours? Again, probably not.

And what package could LA put together without Livingston or Kaman that would be very appealing to the Sixers? If the Clippers want him, they give up one of those guys and he's theirs.

The best of the worst. I'll take it. You don't give up something ridiculous for AI but you remain somewhat active.

Two wild-cards are Minnesota and Sacramento. Minnesota may throw half their team at the Sixers simply to appease KG because if they falter here, I don't see him being able to stick it out much longer without demanding a trade himself. Sacramento has a very capable front-office and is willing to take risks. Artest might not give shots up to Bibby, but he'll definitely give shots up to AI. There might have to be a three-team deal here. One additional variable is Bibby's opt-out at the end of the year. He has a HUGE contract. Perfect if you want it to expire. However, if you want to keep him, it's a risk. This is all if he opts out of course, which he might not do.

Denver would be my dark horse simply because they were involved last year in AI-talks.

One thing I do agree about, however, is the market. I really cannot see AI in Indiana. I hope he doesn't nix a trade here but it's possible. AI is a big-market guy. We'll see. I still think Danny Ainge will cave, trade Gerald Green and AI goes to Boston.

I really don't think Philly (or many other GMs) would see Tinsley as a valuable commodity. He's missed 112 of his last 269 games and has four years left on his contract.

Essentially, he's an almost 29-year-old PG who is an injury risk and hurts your future flexibility with a long-term contract. There's a reason we haven't traded him yet. I don't think the possibility of picking up Jeff Foster and Marquis Daniels is going to overwhelm anyone into rolling the dice with Tins.

Sweetening a package with Harrington and his good contract would help, but, again, Philly already has some promising, swing men who are younger and cheaper.

It would be nice to do something to our roster as part of a three-way, though. Donnie and Bird are good at sticking their noses where they don't belong, so hopefully we can get in on this.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post

Is this what amounts to reporting from CNNsi now? They are getting their "odds" for where AI will go from an Internet Betting Website?

Why not actually do some reporting ( or at least better speculation ) from your reporters?

Geez....

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Artest might not give shots up to Bibby, but he'll definitely give shots up to AI.
    I doubt that Artest is gonna be happy when AI is taking way more shots then he is. AI easily takes 5 ( if not more ) FGA then JONeal per game. Was he happy to be the 2nd fiddle on the scoring totem pole when he was here?

Two 2:1s, a 3:1 and a 5:1 already add to more than 100%...for betting purposes only!

At this point, we should be putting JO on the table and thereby attempt to get in on some multi-team AI trade, whether or not we wind up with the Answer himself.

Our objective would be to (a) obtain a 1st Round Pick next June; (b) both acquire and jettison players with a view to building a better team with a better mix of players; and (c) remove JO's increasingly deadly contract. (JO needs to go: he will not be leading this team anywhere, his trade value will never be higher.)

So I'd try to get that draft pick, and either a combo of (a) Iverson plus a serviceable big man, or (b) several solid players . I'd send out O'Neal, Jackson, either Tinsely or Sarunas, and possibly one or two others, depending on the deal. I would not trade Granger, and, after seeing him play finally, Shawne Williams. I would try to keep both Al and Jeff, but one of them could go if we are getting back good value.

That would be my framework. Putting JO in play might get us in on an Iverson deal. If not, I'd offer him to the Bulls for a solid package from them plus their Knicks pick.

The Pacers need to do something. And they need to swap out O'Neal for a different set of value.

I would offer Granger so long as they take Tinsley off our hands.

Iverson, Jack, Al, JO, Foster is easily the best starting five in the league hands down, theoretically.

Everyone loves Danny but jesus christ ALLEN IVERSON. The dude is a competitor and I am sure he would get us a ring. I would give philly Granger/Tins/Quis and a draft pick. AI will be a top ten player for at least 3 more years. By that time Shawne Williams may be as good as Granger is now and we won't miss him that much.

Also, I am sure we would trade JO for AI in a HEARTBEAT. There is NO WAY Philly would do that if you ask me. Who wants JO when you already have a JO clone on your team aka Chris Webber. Except Chris Webber is fairly rated and not overrated like JO, both are equally paid though.

If we really are't offering Granger then that is crap. If we offer Granger they probably pull the trigger on that. Jackson is untradeable so why are we even offering him. Nobody wants him and frankly I like Jackson because he wants to win more than anyone we have on this squad. I could careless if he lets his emotions get the best of him AT LEAST HE CARES ABOUT MORE THAN HIS STATS.

Not offering Granger is STUPID STUPID STUPID the first team to give in and give up a good young player gets AI. Granger is not going to win us a championship EVER...Iverson could do that. We've known all along the only way for us to win it all is to get a player that is BETTER THAN JERMAINE and who Jermaine will KNOW he has to defer too. I would think even Jermaine would realize how superior Iverson is to him.

Id even send half our team, including JO to Philly for AI/C-Webb so long as they give us their 1st rounder next year.

Frankly I'm sick of this squad it obviously still needs a huge shakeup. GET IT DONE DONNIE DO WHATEVER IT TAKES.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Quote Originally Posted by wjs View Post
    At this point, we should be putting JO on the table and thereby attempt to get in on some multi-team AI trade, whether or not we wind up with the Answer himself.

Our objective would be to (a) obtain a 1st Round Pick next June; (b) both acquire and jettison players with a view to building a better team with a better mix of players; and (c) remove JO's increasingly deadly contract. (JO needs to go: he will not be leading this team anywhere, his trade value will never be higher.)

So I'd try to get that draft pick, and either a combo of (a) Iverson plus a serviceable big man, or (b) several solid players . I'd send out O'Neal, Jackson, either Tinsely or Sarunas, and possibly one or two others, depending on the deal. I would not trade Granger, and, after seeing him play finally, Shawne Williams. I would try to keep both Al and Jeff, but one of them could go if we are getting back good value.

That would be my framework. Putting JO in play might get us in on an Iverson deal. If not, I'd offer him to the Bulls for a solid package from them plus their Knicks pick.

The Pacers need to do something. And they need to swap out O'Neal for a different set of value.
    AGREED!!!

GIving up the 1st rounder for 2007 was brutal.

Use JO to get it back and let the young players develop: Danny, Shawne, etc. and MOST of all, give Harrison some time---he potentially has some Eddie Curry in him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore View Post
    Iverson, Jack, Al, JO, Foster is easily the best starting five in the league hands down, theoretically.
    Talent-wise, maybe so, but like Conrad said in his QOD: the NBA might get back to the old ball or stay with the new one, but either case, there's still gonna be only one ball on the court.
    Can you really envision these guys playing together? I mean, Jack should basically avoid shooting having AI, Al, JO around him. I don't really think he's cut for this role.. And can the other 3 stars play together? Tough one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore View Post
    Everyone loves Danny but jesus christ ALLEN IVERSON.
    Agreed.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Just for the record - Steven A Smith was just on ESPN radio "Mike & Mike" and he never mentioned the Pacers.

Tom, you beat me to it, well at least I'll back you up.

Also for the record: I'd put the chances of the Pacers getting Iverson at about 5%, but then two days ago I would have said about 1%. What is more interesting to me is that the Pacers are apparently trying
    What's that, Vecsey might be way off on a wild rumor guess? Shocking.

Is this what amounts to reporting from CNNsi now? They are getting their "odds" for where AI will go from an Internet Betting Website?

Why not actually do some reporting ( or at least better speculation ) from your reporters?

Geez....
    QFT!

That's not a report about where AI might go, that's a report about the state of internet gambling. Those are the only facts such a story contains. Awful.

Can you imagine your doctor coming in and telling you that you have cancer...and then following it up with "the latest bets at an online site are that you have 6 months and we shouldn't do radiation even". Sorry doc, I'm gonna need both a first and second opinion to go with that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

After reading this, I don't think Minnesota really wants AI:

Wolves: We can't afford Iverson
    Rumors, fueled by Iverson imposter, featured deal here

From staff reports
    Allen Iverson and the Philadelphia 76ers appear headed toward a bitter parting.

But Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor said he won't end up in Minnesota, despite a flood of rumors Friday night that said otherwise.

"No trade," Taylor said during the Wolves' 110-103 victory over Utah on Friday night at Target Center. "It isn't that I don't like him. Just money-wise, it wouldn't work out."

Speculation heated up the past couple of days about where Iverson could end up. The Wolves were at the top of the list of possible destinations.

ESPN reporter Jim Gray announced on the air that Iverson told him in a telephone interview Friday that he was heading to Minnesota. He came back on the air soon after to say that he had been "duped," admitting, "I was talking to an imposter."

Iverson's 11-year career in Philadelphia took another tumultuous turn Friday when the former NBA most valuable player hinted that a trade might be best after the Sixers sent him home and ruled him out of their next two games.

"As hard as it is to admit, a change may be the best thing for everyone," Iverson said. "I hate admitting that because I love the guys on the team and the city of Philadelphia. I truly wanted to retire a 76er."

"We'll trade him," Sixers chairman Ed Snider said Friday night. "At a certain point, you have to come to grips with the fact that it's not working. He wants out, and we're ready to accommodate him."

Snider said Iverson has "probably" played his last game with the Sixers, ending a career that placed him with Julius Erving, Charles Barkley and Wilt Chamberlain among the team's greats.

"I think it's time for him to move on, for us to move on and find out where everything stands," Snider said. "I really didn't see it coming because Allen says all the right things."

In a surprising turn of events, Iverson was banished by the club and didn't play Friday against Washington. Team President Billy King said the move was not a suspension and Iverson's future would be re-evaluated after tonight's game at Orlando.

King and coach Maurice Cheeks said Iverson was sent home because he did not practice on Thursday and left Wednesday's blowout loss at Chicago with back spasms. However, the move to bench their captain comes with Iverson's name swirling in heavy trade rumors.

King would not say before the Sixers' game against the Wizards whether Iverson had asked for a trade or if he was actively trying to trade the four-time NBA scoring champion. Snider confirmed that Iverson did ask this week to be dealt.

"Allen was not able to practice yesterday because of the back, and today Mo made a decision not to play him tonight or tomorrow," King said. "We told him to just take the night off and tomorrow."

Iverson told a different story. Iverson, whose off-court behavior and coaching clashes often overshadowed his gritty, highlight-reel play, released a statement through agent Leon Rose stating that he told the Sixers he was healthy enough to play.

Iverson said he was told not to participate in shootaround and instead watched from the sideline. He joined the Sixers in the huddle, then was told by Cheeks not to come to the Wachovia Center.

"In my entire career, even the doctors haven't been able to tell me not to play," Iverson said. "I've played through injury and illness. I think everyone knows how much I love being out on the court, competing and winning. That's why it was so disheartening to be told that I couldn't play, knowing that I was ready. It hurt even more to be told not to come at all."

Iverson, who leads the league with a 31.7-point average, left Wednesday night's 121-94 loss at Chicago in the second half, complaining of the spasms, and did not practice Thursday. The Sixers are 5-13, have lost six straight and 13 of 15 overall.

"This season has been very frustrating for everyone," Iverson said. "We've lost 12 of 14 games and nothing seems to be working. I have expressed my frustration to my teammates, however, I have continued to give 100 percent night in and night out. Apparently, it hasn't been enough to help our team win."

Even with the Sixers sinking toward another lottery-bound season, Snider said Cheeks and King's jobs were safe.

Cheeks said he expected Iverson to finish the season in Philadelphia.

Iverson reportedly was nearly dealt last offseason to Boston.

This report includes information from the Associated Press.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...l/16199928.htm

Quote Originally Posted by NPFII View Post
    Pacers have 5 players, of which Philly can grab 3 for AI:
    - Al Harrington
    - Stephen Jackson
    - Marquis Daniels
    - Jamaal Tinsley
    - Jeff Foster
    Add Sarunas Jasikevicius to that list. In fact Sarunas fits what the rumor is that Philly wants whereas the rest don't. If they can't get young players or contracts that expire after this year they want contracts that expire in after next years like Webber's does.

They of course would take Foster so we would need a big man back. So I could see Philly throwing Hunter into the deal. If it were me I wouldn't take Sarunas though.

This is what I would do;

Outgoing

Al Harrington
    6-9 SF from St. Patrick's (HS)
    18.6 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 3.1 apg in 36.6 minutes

Jamaal Tinsley
    6-1 PG from Iowa State
    9.3 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 5.0 apg in 26.7 minutes

Jeff Foster
    6-11 C from Southwest Texas State
    5.9 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 0.8 apg in 25.1 minutes

Shawne Williams
    6-9 from Memphis
    No games yet played in 2005/06

Incoming

Allen Iverson
    6-0 PG from Georgetown
    33.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 7.4 apg in 43.0 minutes

Steven Hunter
    7-0 C from DePaul
    6.1 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 19.1 minutes
    Change in team outlook: +5.3 ppg, -12.1 rpg, and -1.2 apg.

Successful Scenario
    Due to Indiana and Philadelphia being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Indiana and Philadelphia had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
    ---------------

I don't think the Pacers will get AI, I think he will go to GS or Boston, with Charlotte maybe being part of a three team trade.

Mood

Before anyone gets too dismissive of Vecsey, he broke the Artest for Peja deal last year.

Apparently, Sacramento is now out of the running:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...4o&refer=home#

NBA's Kings Won't Trade for Allen Iverson, Owner Maloof Says

By Scott Soshnick

Dec. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Remove the Sacramento Kings from the list of possible new teams for Allen Iverson, a former Most Valuable Player who has demanded a trade from the Philadelphia 76ers.

``We're staying away,'' Kings co-owner Joe Maloof said in a telephone interview. ``We're not going forward.''

The Kings were among a handful of teams that publicly disclosed an interest in the National Basketball Association's leading scorer when the 31-year-old guard's trade demand was made public last week.

Maloof didn't say why the Kings had changed their mind.

Iverson, a four-time NBA scoring champion, rejected a proposed trade that would have sent him to the Charlotte Bobcats, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

Among the teams interested in Iverson are the Boston Celtics, Indiana Pacers, Minnesota Timberwolves and Denver Nuggets, the newspaper said.

Iverson joined the 76ers as the first pick in the 1996 draft. He led Philadelphia to the NBA Finals in 2001, when the seven-time All-Star was named the league's MVP.