Thread: Vecsey says Pacers offering everyone except JO and Grange for AI

Hybrid View

Default Vecsey says Pacers offering everyone except JO and Grange for AI

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12122006...sey.htm?page=1

THE ANSWER IS . . .
    HERE'S LOWDOWN ON ALLEN'S DESTINATION
    By Peter Vecsey
    NY Post

December 12, 2006 -- UNLIKE so much of what's being upchucked over the internet regarding Proposition Allen Iverson, much of it oozing from ESPN's thin air, no guess-work follows, only facts. Meaning, there's definitely a chance a legit-bidding team or two may escape mention (how's that for covering one's flanks!).

On the other hand, you can go to sleep knowing what you read below is real.

But first let's dismiss, hopefully for the last time, any fantasies about the Knicks obtaining Iverson in any kind of deal that does or doesn't include Chris Webber. They are not, I repeat, any kind of participant in this situation.

In fact, it wouldn't be surprising to learn Isiah Thomas is prohibited by Camp Cablevision boss James Dolan from cooking up any catastrophes that would cost the Knicks additional obligations past their current long-term luxury hole, or hamstring his eventual replacement any more than he'll be.

The Bobcats, flaunting $13-to-$14 millions in prized cap space, are attempting to play facilitator for the 76ers. Management adamantly refuses to part with a single one of its precious young bloods, even Brevin Knight. Despite getting sacked 15 of 20 times, the third-year expansion franchise wisely is preaching patience and, at the same time, is prepared to assume a salary for a season (not Iverson's, though) for the right compensation - solid player, draft pick, money or all of the above.

That's one option, a rather critical one, for Sixers president Billy King. It allows him to get several teams into the mix. That type of transaction, of course, could translate into Philly obtaining more attractive pieces than it can if only one team is involved.

"I don't know who's putting this stuff out there," a team executive groaned in exasperation. "But it all forces me to call Chris Mullin."

The Warriors are as active and aggressive in diving on Iverson's loose body as any team. Not to keep A.I. (and you thought Don Nelson was seriously about playing smallest) but to re-route his $49M, two-years-to-go debt along with at least one of their dead-weight contracts - Adonal Foyle, Troy Murphy or Mike Dunleavy. Jason Richardson is the guy King has coveted for some time. However, his surgically repaired knee is hurting (swollen) - and not only in the healing area.

In talk last summer, the 76ers approached the Clippers about Iverson for Corey Maggette and Shaun Livingston. That same trade is on the table. The thing is, Livingston is utterly untouchable along with Elton Brand and Chris Kaman. If you see their names mentioned in any scenario, you know the writer is source-less. Everybody else is available.

Keeping it out west, the Kings are offering Mike Bibby (who obviously is very appealing), I think. Would he really want to be united with his father, Henry, a Sixers assistant? Would he really want to be reunited with Webber? On the other hand, former Sixers John Salmons, Kenny Thomas and Corliss Williams celebrated their offensive freedom after distancing themselves from Iverson.

It's not clear whether he is more or less appealing because he owns an early-out after this season. It's hard to say whether the 76ers would be happy if he walked away from his two-year ($13.5M/$14.5M) pact or would want a guarantee from him that he'll honor it.

Meanwhile, the Timberwolves remain in the hunt, if only to appease Kevin Garnett, who's clamoring to play with Iverson. Yes, Randy Foye is desirable. But it's decidedly doubtful the 76ers want anything to do with Minnesota's myriad bad contracts belonging to Marko Jaric, Troy Hudson, Mark Blount, Mark Madsen, Mike James and Trenton Hassell. The Sixers want to dump salary, not reproduce it. Ricky Davis is conceivable because he has but one year ($6.8M) left after this.

That leaves Indiana (offering Jamaal Tinsley and just about anyone except Jermaine O'Neal and Danny Granger) and Boston. Danny Ainge is determined to land himself an established veteran and Iverson is it. Paul Pierce is not available. Plenty of sacrificial Celtics are there for the 76ers' plucking, except Al Jefferson. It'd be stunning to think otherwise.

That screeching in the background is Jerry West beseeching outgoing (?) owner Michael Heisley for permission to enter the chase.

peter.vecsey@nypost.com
    -------------------------

Default Re: Vecsey says Pacers offering everyone except JO and Grange for AI

THANK YOU LARRY AND DONNIE. Superstar available, you offer anyone but your two franchise guys...that's how you do it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's a cute way of saying theyre being aggressive, since Al Harrington can't be traded right now anyway, and they have some BYC players.

I don't think they can offer half of their players under league rules.

...and that likely means the Sixers would probably have to take Stephen Jackson in order to make the salaries match. Don't see it happening.

2013 Pacers Digest NBA 2K13 Champion (Xbox 360)

Mood

They can't trade Al.... for 3 more days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They can't trade Al.... for 3 more days.
    If the Sixers and the Pacers really want to make a trade and the trade involves Harrington - the two teams can certainly wait 3 days

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    If the Sixers and the Pacers really want to make a trade and the trade involves Harrington - the two teams can certainly wait 3 days
    Agreed.

Pacers have 5 players, of which Philly can grab 3 for AI:
    - Al Harrington
    - Stephen Jackson
    - Marquis Daniels
    - Jamaal Tinsley
    - Jeff Foster

Maybe this should be made into a poll...

Personally I'd offer JT, Jax & Daniels. I'm guessing Philly would prefer Quis, Foster & Al. Hopefully a compromise can be found with either Tinsley or Jackson being shipped (Tinsley+Al+Foster?).

In any case - I'd do it. I like Iverson. He's not the ball hog he used to be (10th in the league in assists this season). He knows he's starting to decline, but he still "has it" when he needs to, like a real vet. A mature Iverson can carry a good team very far.

I think Pacers would be crazy to give up Foster right now.
    The best we can offer is JT, Quis, Al.
    This leaves us with a shorter rotation obviously, and some serious issues in several positions.

Quote Originally Posted by NPFII View Post
    - Al Harrington
    - Stephen Jackson
    - Marquis Daniels
    - Jamaal Tinsley
    - Jeff Foster

The Pacers are playing it perfectly. Giving up either JO or Granger for AI is a lateral move. I would say to the Sixers: here's a list of five guys. Take any three of them. If you let us keep Foster or Harrington, you can have David Harrison. If you let us keep Marquis Daniels, you can have Shawne Williams.

It would be like ordering the You Pick Two at Pantera Bread.

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    It would be like ordering the You Pick Two at Pantera Bread.
    I've heard Pantera Bread rocks hard......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
    I've heard Pantera Bread rocks hard......

I highly recommend the Sandblasted Skin Chicken Sandwich.

- Al Harrington
    - Stephen Jackson
    - Marquis Daniels
    - Jamaal Tinsley
    - Jeff Foster
    Add Sarunas Jasikevicius to that list. In fact Sarunas fits what the rumor is that Philly wants whereas the rest don't. If they can't get young players or contracts that expire after this year they want contracts that expire in after next years like Webber's does.

They of course would take Foster so we would need a big man back. So I could see Philly throwing Hunter into the deal. If it were me I wouldn't take Sarunas though.

This is what I would do;

Outgoing

Al Harrington
    6-9 SF from St. Patrick's (HS)
    18.6 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 3.1 apg in 36.6 minutes

Jamaal Tinsley
    6-1 PG from Iowa State
    9.3 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 5.0 apg in 26.7 minutes

Jeff Foster
    6-11 C from Southwest Texas State
    5.9 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 0.8 apg in 25.1 minutes

Shawne Williams
    6-9 from Memphis
    No games yet played in 2005/06

Incoming

Allen Iverson
    6-0 PG from Georgetown
    33.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 7.4 apg in 43.0 minutes

Steven Hunter
    7-0 C from DePaul
    6.1 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 19.1 minutes
    Change in team outlook: +5.3 ppg, -12.1 rpg, and -1.2 apg.

Successful Scenario
    Due to Indiana and Philadelphia being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Indiana and Philadelphia had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
    ---------------

I don't think the Pacers will get AI, I think he will go to GS or Boston, with Charlotte maybe being part of a three team trade.

Steven A. Smith was live on ESPN radio Mike & Mike show a little before 8 AM today and said the frontrunners are Golden State and then Boston. He didn't mention Indiana at all.

Just for the record - Steven A Smith was just on ESPN radio "Mike & Mike" and he never mentioned the Pacers.

Tom, you beat me to it, well at least I'll back you up.

Also for the record: I'd put the chances of the Pacers getting Iverson at about 5%, but then two days ago I would have said about 1%. What is more interesting to me is that the Pacers are apparently trying

Wasn't it SAS who got it right about Ron for Peja?
    Or was it Vecsey who broke it first (or was that just the trade demand)?
    I dont remember...

Anyway - who is more reliable?
    I know Vecsey has good inside information about the Pacers, but how about the rest of the league, or specifically - Philly?
    Is SAS more credible cause he's a more public figure?

Or,

Are both of them being misinformed to create a smokescreen for the real action?

Wasn't it SAS who got it right about Ron for Peja?
    Or was it Vecsey who broke it first (or was that just the trade demand)?
    I dont remember...

Anyway - who is more reliable?
    I know Vecsey has good inside information about the Pacers, but how about the rest of the league, or specifically - Philly?
    Is SAS more credible cause he's a more public figure?

Or,

Are both of them being misinformed to create a smokescreen for the real action?

I consider Vescey beyond reproach in these matters. Keep in mind Vescey is only reporting that the Pacers are interested in Iverson and who the Pacers are offering . Vescey is not predicting the Pacers are going to get him.

I think Aldridge is also excellent. SAS is very hit and miss

I dunno if this was posted before, but ...

Could the "stomach-flu" and other health problems the Pacers suddenly encountered have any relation to the AI trade?
    Could it have been a showcase game of Tinsley? Granger? Baston? or ... Shawne Williams?
    Consider this: Billy King loves Shawne Williams and would love to join him with Rodney Carney as the Sixers core for the next decade. He also likes Granger who was a steal at 17 and never had the supposed knee problems that kept him out of the lottery, and suddenly - the Pacers have cheap young talent to offer.

Shawne played great against Chicago and so did Tinsley & Granger.

To make the salaries work you still need to involve 2 of either Quis, Jax, Al or Foster, AND the Sixers would need to give up at least 2 players for roster spaces, and maybe a 2nd rounder to sweeten "aging Indiana"'s deal, but could that be the deal that's not only being talked about, but already setting the wheels in motion by sitting Al, Daniels, Jax & JO and giving for the first time in this season playing time to young Shawne Williams?

Tinsley+(Jax or Quis)+(Al or Foster)+(Granger or Williams) for AI+2 fillers+2nd rounder ?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Just for the record - Steven A Smith was just on ESPN radio "Mike & Mike" and he never mentioned the Pacers.

Tom, you beat me to it, well at least I'll back you up.

Also for the record: I'd put the chances of the Pacers getting Iverson at about 5%, but then two days ago I would have said about 1%. What is more interesting to me is that the Pacers are apparently trying
    What's that, Vecsey might be way off on a wild rumor guess? Shocking.

Is this what amounts to reporting from CNNsi now? They are getting their "odds" for where AI will go from an Internet Betting Website?

Why not actually do some reporting ( or at least better speculation ) from your reporters?

Geez....
    QFT!

That's not a report about where AI might go, that's a report about the state of internet gambling. Those are the only facts such a story contains. Awful.

Can you imagine your doctor coming in and telling you that you have cancer...and then following it up with "the latest bets at an online site are that you have 6 months and we shouldn't do radiation even". Sorry doc, I'm gonna need both a first and second opinion to go with that.

SAS is a Philly guy and he has sources there. He is probably more reliable on 76er issues than anything else, because he is pretty spotty on everyone else.

I'll give Vecsey credit for being the one to break the story that AI wanted out. Maybe he has the most inside stuff. His condescending writing style is tough to take, though.

The question is: are we really offering Harrington?

'Cause if we're not, and JO and Granger are also off the table, then we're not really making a serious run at AI.

I sincerely doubt (and hey, maybe I'm wrong) a package based around Tins/Jax/Foster comes even close to getting AI.

It seems more likely to me that Donnie is leaking info just to placate the fans and say, "hey, at least we're trying."

It seems to me as if the Pacers are really trying but Boston just has much more to give. They might be overpaying even but that might be necessary to get the Sixers to trade within that division (something important considering that usually only the winner of the division makes it to the playoffs).

I think Iverson is definitely the Don Nelson type. That's my prediction right there.

sounds like Golden State has to include Monta Ellis, who Philly wants, and Golden State hates to give up,

with Baron Davis or Crapleavy, and a pick.

Great another bad move, the plan is to trade for AI, and then Granger can sit around and never touch the ball, while JO and AI fight over who gets to shoot the ball the most.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I can't see Iverson as a Pacer.

I'm hopeful that the Ps get involved in a three-way deal.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown