Thread: Jackson suspended by team for game vs. the Bulls

Default Jackson suspended by team for game vs. the Bulls

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...612110395/1088

CHICAGO -- Stephen Jackson accepts the one-game suspension the Indiana Pacers imposed on him Sunday.

That doesn't mean he agrees with it.
    Jackson was suspended by the franchise for tonight's game against the Chicago Bulls at the United Center over his bench confrontation with coach Rick Carlisle in the second period of Saturday's loss at Cleveland.
    Carlisle sent Jackson to the locker room after Jackson objected to being benched late in the first half, by which time the Pacers were trailing by 24 points.
    He remained in the locker room for the second half as the Pacers suffered their worst defeat of the season, 107-75.
    Sunday, while the team took a day off in Chicago, Jackson explained his side of the story.
    "I'm going to take it, because anything that happens to me I stand up and take it," he said. "If I'm wrong for anything, I'm wrong for challenging (Carlisle's) authority to take me out. Rick and (CEO Donnie Walsh) have always supported me 100 percent and I have great respect for them, but at the same time I don't think I should be the target when the team is playing bad."
    Carlisle indicated following Saturday's game that Jackson would play tonight. Sunday, however, in what Carlisle termed a franchise decision, a one-game suspension was levied.
    Carlisle and Walsh declined further comment.
    Jackson had re-entered Saturday's game with 6:04 remaining in the second quarter, but LeBron James proceeded to scored nine of Cleveland's next 11 points, seven of them against Jackson.
    Jackson, who was pulled with 2:46 left, said he did not raise his voice to Carlisle as he walked off the court, but asked why he was being taken out. He said Carlisle told him he wanted to make a substitution, at which point Jackson muttered something under his breath that might have been overheard. Carlisle then stood and told him to go to the locker room.
    Carlisle did not elaborate on the exchange, other than to say he considered Jackson's comments to be "inappropriate and detrimental."
    Jackson came under fire last season for complaining excessively over officials' calls and when removed from games. He had vowed in the preseason to be less emotional, while Carlisle indicated he would be stricter.
    Jackson's reputation took another hit during the first week of training camp when he fired shots into the air during an incident in a strip club parking lot in Indianapolis.
    He faces a court appearance in Michigan on Jan. 26 to determine if his actions violated the conditions of his probation related to his involvement in the brawl at the Palace of Auburn Hills two years ago during the Pacers' game at Detroit.
    "I don't want people to lump this with other things that have happened," Jackson said. "I think this has been blown out of proportion."
    Jackson said he gets upset over being removed because he doesn't get tired and believes he can help the team win.
    "Inside I feel everybody should get mad about losing," he said. "We make too much money not to go out and play hard and not care about wins and losses. The fans don't pay to see us come to lose.
    "Sometimes my emotions flare in a game, but how can you play in a big-time game like this without emotion? I just want to win."
    O'Neal's doubtful

Jermaine O'Neal had said he would play tonight, but the Pacers are doubtful.
    O'Neal strained his left hamstring at Seattle on Dec. 1, and aggravated it in last week's game against Orlando. He has missed the previous two games.
    "He wants to play and he feels like he could go, but we need to make sure we assess the risk factors before we send him out there," Carlisle said.
    Carlisle added the MRI of O'Neal's injury shows a problem area

I've highlighted the above because that is down right hilarious.

I can close my eyes & envision it now.

Jackson: Sir, I am sorry to question you on this but was I taken out of the game because of poor play? I only want to know so that I can go over here & examine my actions to see where I may improve.

Carlisle: Oh heavens no, I only wished to make a substituion so that you could regather yourself for longer term durability.

Jackson: Thank you sir for the respite I will redouble my efforts & will return all the more refreshed & ready to help the team.

As he moves away to sit on the bench he hits his knee on a chair

Jackson: Gosh darn (muttered under his breath)

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Default Indy Star: Pacers Bench Jackson for Tonight's Game

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...612110395/1088

Pacers bench Jackson for tonight's game
    guard disagrees with suspension imposed in the wake of exchange with coach in cleveland

By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com

CHICAGO -- Stephen Jackson accepts the one-game suspension the Indiana Pacers imposed on him Sunday.

That doesn't mean he agrees with it.
    Jackson was suspended by the franchise for tonight's game against the Chicago Bulls at the United Center over his bench confrontation with coach Rick Carlisle in the second period of Saturday's loss at Cleveland.
    Carlisle sent Jackson to the locker room after Jackson objected to being benched late in the first half, by which time the Pacers were trailing by 24 points.
    He remained in the locker room for the second half as the Pacers suffered their worst defeat of the season, 107-75.
    Sunday, while the team took a day off in Chicago, Jackson explained his side of the story.
    "I'm going to take it, because anything that happens to me I stand up and take it," he said. "If I'm wrong for anything, I'm wrong for challenging (Carlisle's) authority to take me out. Rick and (CEO Donnie Walsh) have always supported me 100 percent and I have great respect for them, but at the same time I don't think I should be the target when the team is playing bad."
    Carlisle indicated following Saturday's game that Jackson would play tonight. Sunday, however, in what Carlisle termed a franchise decision, a one-game suspension was levied.
    Carlisle and Walsh declined further comment.
    Jackson had re-entered Saturday's game with 6:04 remaining in the second quarter, but LeBron James proceeded to scored nine of Cleveland's next 11 points, seven of them against Jackson.
    Jackson, who was pulled with 2:46 left, said he did not raise his voice to Carlisle as he walked off the court, but asked why he was being taken out. He said Carlisle told him he wanted to make a substitution, at which point Jackson muttered something under his breath that might have been overheard. Carlisle then stood and told him to go to the locker room.
    Carlisle did not elaborate on the exchange, other than to say he considered Jackson's comments to be "inappropriate and detrimental."
    Jackson came under fire last season for complaining excessively over officials' calls and when removed from games. He had vowed in the preseason to be less emotional, while Carlisle indicated he would be stricter.
    Jackson's reputation took another hit during the first week of training camp when he fired shots into the air during an incident in a strip club parking lot in Indianapolis.
    He faces a court appearance in Michigan on Jan. 26 to determine if his actions violated the conditions of his probation related to his involvement in the brawl at the Palace of Auburn Hills two years ago during the Pacers' game at Detroit.
    "I don't want people to lump this with other things that have happened," Jackson said. "I think this has been blown out of proportion."
    Jackson said he gets upset over being removed because he doesn't get tired and believes he can help the team win.
    "Inside I feel everybody should get mad about losing," he said. "We make too much money not to go out and play hard and not care about wins and losses. The fans don't pay to see us come to lose.
    "Sometimes my emotions flare in a game, but how can you play in a big-time game like this without emotion? I just want to win."

O'Neal's doubtful

Jermaine O'Neal had said he would play tonight, but the Pacers are doubtful.
    O'Neal strained his left hamstring at Seattle on Dec. 1, and aggravated it in last week's game against Orlando. He has missed the previous two games.
    "He wants to play and he feels like he could go, but we need to make sure we assess the risk factors before we send him out there," Carlisle said.
    Carlisle added the MRI of O'Neal's injury shows a problem area.
    New Zealand's Number 1 Pacer Fan!! Visited Conseco Fieldhouse Feb 10 2006

Default Re: Jackson suspended by team for game vs. the Bulls

Good times. We really need to get Jackson off this team, even if we have to pay another team to take him.

Kestas

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good times. We really need to get Jackson off this team, even if we have to pay another team to take him.
    if you got Peja for Artest, imagine who you could get for Jackson...

sorry..

Banned

I'd take an expiring contract for him, definitely. Better players can be had for the MLE every year.

Let me say a couple of things, I have no problem with the 1 game suspension, and Jackson should not get upset when he's taken out of the game, and I've wanted Jackson traded for a year now, I was one of the first ones who wanted him traded.

OK - having said all that, I don't know how anyone can disagree with this part of the article.

"Inside I feel everybody should get mad about losing," he said. "We make too much money not to go out and play hard and not care about wins and losses. The fans don't pay to see us come to lose".

I believe Jackson cares about winning as much as any player on the team, I believe Jax plays hurt more than any player on the team, I believe Jackson is maybe the most competitive player on the Pacers.

Jackson makes some very good points, maybe every player isn't getting mad about the losing

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Let me say a couple of things, I have no problem with the 1 game suspension, and Jackson should not get upset when he's taken out of the game, and I've wanted Jackson traded for a year now, I was one of the first ones who wanted him traded.

OK - having said all that, I don't know how anyone can disagree with this part of the article.

"Inside I feel everybody should get mad about losing," he said. "We make too much money not to go out and play hard and not care about wins and losses. The fans don't pay to see us come to lose".

I believe Jackson cares about winning as much as any player on the team, I believe Jax plays hurt more than any player on the team, I believe Jackson is maybe the most competitive player on the Pacers.

Jackson makes some very good points, maybe every player isn't getting mad about the losing
    The part that I think Carlisle considers detrimental, however, is when Jack gets too mad at losing. MJ was the most competitive player of all time. He was probably mad at losing too but after a loss he would never flip out; he'd mentally stay in the game and then prepare mentally for the next time he'd play. Jack sometimes forgets everything in the heat of the moment. He's gotten better at it and will only improve with this attitude. I'm sure Carlisle is only doing this for his own good.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So, then, is he saying he's the only person on this team that wants to win? Because he seems to be the only one who lets his emotions get out of control.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    The part that I think Carlisle considers detrimental, however, is when Jack gets too mad at losing. MJ was the most competitive player of all time. He was probably mad at losing too but after a loss he would never flip out; he'd mentally stay in the game and then prepare mentally for the next time he'd play. Jack sometimes forgets everything in the heat of the moment. He's gotten better at it and will only improve with this attitude. I'm sure Carlisle is only doing this for his own good.
    That's how I view it as well. I don't think Buck was saying different, just saying that there are different kinds of wrong. Wrong in the sense of "I don't want to come out, I can help" even if it's not true at the moment is better that "what do I care, I get paid no matter what".

I realize that every player wants to play and they don't all throw fits. That's why I agree with Rick. I'm just saying that Jackson isn't pulling an AI or Baron Davis "I don't want to be here" effort. To me that would be a lot worse.

Better this than to hear Ron Artest admit that he didn't give his full effort with the Pacers sometimes because he wasn't be paid a fair amount.

Anyway, this suggests to me that Bird decided that Rick was still being too soft on Jack and wanted to make a stronger point about the situation. Hopefully Jack is listening to the message about how he deals with frustration.

Seriously, is there anyone in Indianapolis more on Jackson's side than Rick? That's the one guy I would be supporting at all costs if I were Jack. Of course I'd say the same was true of Ron and that didn't stop him from putting the knife in his back (and into Bird, DW and the Simons, his other biggest supporters). Some people just don't know what's good for them.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

im loving this
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

I hate this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    So, then, is he saying he's the only person on this team that wants to win? Because he seems to be the only one who lets his emotions get out of control.
    No, I don't think that is what he's saying (at least not in the Jax quote that I highlighted). He sees his teammates in the locker room, on the bus at practice at shoot arounds - so think he knows who really cares about winning and who cares more about the paycheck and fame.

I happen to think Jax is one of the most competeitve guys on the team

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sorry but I am 100% behind this decision in fact if Jack ever wears a Pacer jersey again it will be too soon and you all know I supported him through Club Rio vehemently, but enough is enough. Ship him out there for whatever the best offer is. There has to be one team that will take him.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    I'm sorry but I am 100% behind this decision in fact if Jack ever wears a Pacer jersey again it will be too soon and you all know I supported him through Club Rio vehemently, but enough is enough. Ship him out there for whatever the best offer is. There has to be one team that will take him.

I'm with you - I basically have always thought he's a nice piece as a 3rd or 4th option, and that he was unfairly hated by the fans. But this is it - we can't have any drama on the team. Frankly, the Pacers should just de-activate him, the way the bulls did Tim Thomas last year.

I agree. There has to be a breaking point, and might as well let this be it before he does further damage to the team's image.

Note to Jack: fans don't pay money to see you brick threes and disrespect your coach, either.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

But his trial happens before the trade deadline. Shouldn't they wait 2 months?
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    But his trial happens before the trade deadline. Shouldn't they wait 2 months?
    If he is charged with the felony, he wont be playing again this year. We need to get rid of him while we can. Enough distractions.

This was supposed to be a distraction free, normal type of season. Jackson has changed all of that.

Mood

know what, for the nth time i am not a Jackson fan at all but the emotion part he is talking about has some validity to it. he implements it in a wrong way though but he's not totally wrong about it. Carlisle needs to show some kind of emotion to get the team riled up in situations like the last game. there are games the team won't show up with it and it's the coach's job to get it out from them. this is not the first time. i was so upset with Carlisle back during the Laker loss because we were rallying back and DA was called for a questionable tech and Carlisle just sat there, showed no support, no push, no emotion at all. he even acted like he wasn't watching- he just asked DA, like how a bystander asks a stranger a question, "what happened?". the team assumes a lot of the head coach's demeanor. and when i see the Pacers go out there flat, and RC just sitting there, it tells you something. i am not asking for him to be Bob Knight but this is a passionate game. why do you think Avery, Larry Brown,Red and the like are so successful? because they know how to connect and rally their troops. it's not just Xs and Os.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

I have to disagree. Jax is not nearly as competitive as Foster. He may hate losing the most but that's different than being competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Roferr View Post
    I have to disagree. Jax is not nearly as competitive as Foster. He may hate losing the most but that's different than being competitive.
    I agree with Roferr here. Jack feels disrespected and IMO embarrased that he is being taken out by Rick not because hes more competetive or cares so much more than the next player.

Sports Logo

Its all good that SJax is competitive and has the will and heart to want to win. I have no problem with his willingness to be competitive and even play hurt....something that many of us complement him for.

The problem that I have with SJax actions ( which was one of the reasons why I felt that Artest...ultimately...had to go ) is when this competitiveness and his emotion causes him to say or do something that interferes with Carlisle's ability to effectively coach the team throughout the course of a game ( like getting p*ssed off and "apparently mouthing off" at Carlisle for being benched ) or ( worse ) ultimately doing something that is considered "detrimental to the team" as a whole. With someone as competitive as SJax is....I don't think it is as much of a matter of being disrespected or anything....I just think that his emotions tends to point him in the wrong direction sometimes...and he simply says or does something that he ( hopefully ) regrets.

I think that TPTB ( apparently above Carlisle ) wanted to make it clear to the players that this type of behavior isn't going to be tolerated anymore. TPTB benched one of the Starters against one of our Division Rivals DESPITE having the majority of our Starting lineup out ( for one reason or another ). Last season....we wanted TPTB to try to "take control of the asylum from all the inmates"......we now have an example of it.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.