10-3 Woo Hoo!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Jags get second-most number of rushing yards in an NFL game

Worst 10-3 team in NFL history.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Worst 10-3 team in NFL history.
    Here's an idea: Root for a different team if you hate them so. No one's making you root for the "worst 10-3 team in NFL history." Go cheer for the Cardinals or something, for chrissakes.

377 yards.
    :
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    Here's an idea: Root for a different team if you hate them so. No one's making you root for the "worst 10-3 team in NFL history." Go cheer for the Cardinals or something, for chrissakes.
    Unfortunately, I'm not a bandwagon fan. I may go down with the ship, but I'm taking others with me this time.

We're pissed because, deep in our hearts, we love the Colts. Otherwise we wouldn't care about posting anymore.

I may go down with the ship, but I'm taking others with me this time.

OR... you could take the high road and realize that one bad game is not the end of the world...

OR... you could take the high road and realize that one bad game is not the end of the world...
    One bad game? How about the LAST FOUR YEARS?

One bad game? How about the LAST FOUR YEARS?

Yeah, the last four years have just been HORRIBLE.... God have pity on us poor Colts fans... puh-leaze! Grow up or something! Appreciate what we've been able to cheer for!

How come when the Colts do well in the regular season, everyone just says "Well it doesn't really matter for the Colts until the postseason," but when we happen to struggle for a few games in the regular season, it's suddenly the end of the freakin' world? RELAX and just wait for the playoffs... sheesh...

Or maybe some of us realize that the defense is --once again-- going to prevent the Colts from even sniffing a Super Bowl.

We just want something done about it. And we're not going to get our hopes up. We've had them crushed a few times. Can you imagine if the Colts play San Diego in the playoffs? Can you say best playoff game ever by a running back?

Yeah, the last four years have just been HORRIBLE.... God have pity on us poor Colts fans... puh-leaze! Grow up or something! Appreciate what we've been able to cheer for!

How come when the Colts do well in the regular season, everyone just says "Well it doesn't really matter for the Colts until the postseason," but when we happen to struggle for a few games in the regular season, it's suddenly the end of the freakin' world? RELAX and just wait for the playoffs... sheesh...
    Appreciate what? Being teased over and over and over and over again, just to watch us accomplish NOTHING? And yet, the people running this organization (into the ground) continue to make the same mistake year after year after year after year. How many times does the defense have to fail to realize that adjustments need to be made? How many times do you have to get shocked before you stop sticking a fork in the light socket?

We have completely wasted one of the best offensive lines in NFL history because we're too cheap/incompetent to get anything done. Not only should Dungy and this horrendous, laughable excuse for a defense be out the door, but Polian should be as well. I'm sick of this miserable, conservative failure year after year after year. And yet, the majority of fans STILL manage to get suckered in over and over and over again, despite the fact that nothing's changed. It's mind-boggling.

When you see the same basic problem(s) come back to haunt the team year after year it's a problem that needs addressed. Every year we hear the same things and are led to believe this year will be different. Then the old Achilles heel bubbles under the surface game after game. We hear there's nothing wrong that can't be fixed with better execution altho the fans and pundits are skeptical. We're told everything is fine and coming together. Teams pick at the scab. By the time we get in the stretch run, reality starts to smack us in the face. What we believed all along is coming to fruition: The defense sucks. The scheme and personnel play right into the hands of opposing teams because it lets them play ball control and put pressure on the Colt offense. And it lets them keep the Colt offense on the sidelines.

And when the offense plays under pressure that is when mistakes happen. Give the Colts the run and see how long Peyton can be patient before forcing one or before someone else makes a mistake. Even if the Colts play the perfect offensive game, can the run defense ever stop the other team?

I realize the idea is for the Colts to play defense from the lead but teams are figuring out they don't have to play a typical game even if they trail. They don't have to go to the air more just because they are trailing because they can gain plenty of yardage on the ground via the Colts' porous defense. The front 4 is no match for opposing O lines and running backs (and once you get past them with a head of steam and not even a bump, you have a good shot at seeing exactly what you need and making good decisions on (following) blocking). Why throw long when you can run long?? By being so 'giving' on the running game the Colts play right into the hands of what the other team wants: Keeping the Colt offense on the sidelines and making them have to maximize each possession (ie: put them under pressure).

The recipe was already out there but now there's plenty of game tapes showing that it works so the opposition can play with plenty of confidence.

And while we're on the subject... Freeney gets figured out every year by the last qtr of the season. This year the opposition just used that info all season long to minimize him... actually to take advantage of him and turn a Colt strength into actually a weakness. You'd think somewhere between the player and coaches, they would address that.

And on another subject... I don't think Dungy is ever going to be accused of being a master motivator and it may be time to start asking if this team could use some motivation and someone pressing them to be the best they can be. OTOH, the defense is so undersized and underwhelming that it's pretty easy to see why their confidence would be crushed and only making things worse. Maybe there is some heart there, but I'm not sure Dungy is the one to get it out of them. But should a defense be put on the field that is this poorly constructed year after year and waste the contending years of this offense?

The new stadium is a done deal so this shouldn't be a problem that is a business decision (we don't need fool's gold to sell the product). It's a poor football decision. And I said elsewhere, I believe Irsay wants this team to win a championship so I don't blame him. But someone under him needs to be making some hard decisions. ...And he needs to be holding some people accountable.

My fear is the problem is Polian is just too stubborn to address the defense because so many people are saying the team can't win (in the playoffs) with things this out of balance. So Polian is trying to prove them wrong because he thinks he's the smartest man in the room. And Dungy is too laidback to make waves about it.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    When you see the same basic problem(s) come back to haunt the team year after year it's a problem that needs addressed. Every year we hear the same things and are led to believe this year will be different. Then the old Achilles heel bubbles under the surface game after game. We hear there's nothing wrong that can't be fixed with better execution altho the fans and pundits are skeptical. We're told everything is fine and coming together. Teams pick at the scab. By the time we get in the stretch run, reality starts to smack us in the face. What we believed all along is coming to fruition: The defense sucks. The scheme and personnel play right into the hands of opposing teams because it lets them play ball control and put pressure on the Colt offense. And it lets them keep the Colt offense on the sidelines.

And when the offense plays under pressure that is when mistakes happen. Give the Colts the run and see how long Peyton can be patient before forcing one or before someone else makes a mistake. Even if the Colts play the perfect offensive game, can the run defense ever stop the other team?

I realize the idea is for the Colts to play defense from the lead but teams are figuring out they don't have to play a typical game even if they trail. They don't have to go to the air more just because they are trailing because they can gain plenty of yardage on the ground via the Colts' porous defense. The front 4 is no match for opposing O lines and running backs (and once you get past them with a head of steam and not even a bump, you have a good shot at seeing exactly what you need and making good decisions on (following) blocking). Why throw long when you can run long?? By being so 'giving' on the running game the Colts play right into the hands of what the other team wants: Keeping the Colt offense on the sidelines and making them have to maximize each possession (ie: put them under pressure).

The recipe was already out there but now there's plenty of game tapes showing that it works so the opposition can play with plenty of confidence.

And while we're on the subject... Freeney gets figured out every year by the last qtr of the season. This year the opposition just used that info all season long to minimize him... actually to take advantage of him and turn a Colt strength into actually a weakness. You'd think somewhere between the player and coaches, they would address that.

And on another subject... I don't think Dungy is ever going to be accused of being a master motivator and it may be time to start asking if this team could use some motivation and someone pressing them to be the best they can be. OTOH, the defense is so undersized and underwhelming that it's pretty easy to see why their confidence would be crushed and only making things worse. Maybe there is some heart there, but I'm not sure Dungy is the one to get it out of them. But should a defense be put on the field that is this poorly constructed year after year and waste the contending years of this offense?

The new stadium is a done deal so this shouldn't be a problem that is a business decision (we don't need fool's gold to sell the product). It's a poor football decision. And I said elsewhere, I believe Irsay wants this team to win a championship so I don't blame him. But someone under him needs to be making some hard decisions. ...And he needs to be holding some people accountable.

My fear is the problem is Polian is just too stubborn to address the defense because so many people are saying the team can't win (in the playoffs) with things this out of balance. So Polian is trying to prove them wrong because he thinks he's the smartest man in the room. And Dungy is too laidback to make waves about it.

-Bball
    i think you are pretty on the mark there. i agree 100%

No - there have been at least 3 times teams gained over 400 yards in a game. 467 being the record I think.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    No - there have been at least 3 times teams gained over 400 yards in a game. 467 being the record I think.
    Running yards?

Running yards?
    Sorry - 426 is the record

Most Yards Gained Rushing, Game
    426 Detroit vs. Pittsburgh, Nov. 4, 1934
    423 N.Y. Giants vs. Baltimore, Nov. 19, 1950
    420 Boston vs. N.Y. Giants, Oct. 8, 1933

If you were think only about the Colts you were right.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

I guess I was slightly misinformed. It was the second-most in the last 36 years.

Still amazingly bad.

I guess I was slightly misinformed. It was the second-most in the last 36 years.

Still amazingly bad.
    Amen to that!

When you have one of the worst run defenses in the history of the NFL, no record of futility is safe.

This is clearly a case of management/coaching reaping what they have sown. It was clear to the world that the defense has been a problem for the past 3-4 years and the more fans and media talked about it the more the Colts seemed to want to refuse to look that way. So they stayed on the same path year after year. I'm not sure thinking that one player (Simon and then McFarland) was enough is a viable fodder to say "We tried".

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Who Dey?

Good luck stopping the BEST offense in the league on Monday. Should be a hell of a game.

Bengals 42
    colts 31

oh ya.....Carson>Peyton

Appreciate what? Being teased over and over and over and over again, just to watch us accomplish NOTHING? And yet, the people running this organization (into the ground) continue to make the same mistake year after year after year after year. How many times does the defense have to fail to realize that adjustments need to be made? How many times do you have to get shocked before you stop sticking a fork in the light socket?

We have completely wasted one of the best offensive lines in NFL history because we're too cheap/incompetent to get anything done. Not only should Dungy and this horrendous, laughable excuse for a defense be out the door, but Polian should be as well. I'm sick of this miserable, conservative failure year after year after year. And yet, the majority of fans STILL manage to get suckered in over and over and over again, despite the fact that nothing's changed. It's mind-boggling.
    LOL!

I'm not even going to bother with this thread anymore. You guys are a load of sour-pusses.

This is exactly why I hate the Colts fans in this town. 95% of you didn't become Colts fans until Peyton Manning became a Colt, and even then, people stayed off the bandwagon until the Pacers team broke up and the Colts were above .500, which, shockingly enough, has been about 5 years now.

You realize the Colts have been playing in this city for 22 years now, right?

You also realize that the hard cap means that as long as you have Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, and Marvin Harrison on this team, that your defense will ALWAYS suck? You could have Vince Lombardi coaching this defense, it would still suck, because you can't afford to pay for guys who don't suck.

Also, see my "Welcome to the NFL" post in one of the other threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    When you have one of the worst run defenses in the history of the NFL, no record of futility is safe.

This is clearly a case of management/coaching reaping what they have sown. It was clear to the world that the defense has been a problem for the past 3-4 years and the more fans and media talked about it the more the Colts seemed to want to refuse to look that way. So they stayed on the same path year after year. I'm not sure thinking that one player (Simon and then McFarland) was enough is a viable fodder to say "We tried".

-Bball
    Are you kidding? They did try! The only way you're going to get a good D is to trade Manning, or possibly let Wayne walk this year. Sure, you can shell out lots of draft picks to try to get guys in who will help you win a title. And it's still pretty much a coin flip as to whether you win or not. See San Francisco's recent past to see the fallout of that approach.

The management is very sound in Indy. They put together a high-octane offense to bring in lots of casual fans. The problem is, of course, that offense doesn't win titles. I firmly believe that the Colts plan on becoming a defensive team when Manning and Harrison retire. The problem is, they're not retiring fast enough, and so the fans are getting disgruntled over the early exits every year.

Case in point: Name one NFL champion in the last 10 years that spent most of their money on the offensive side of the ball. Guess what? You can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    Are you kidding? They did try! The only way you're going to get a good D is to trade Manning, or possibly let Wayne walk this year. Sure, you can shell out lots of draft picks to try to get guys in who will help you win a title. And it's still pretty much a coin flip as to whether you win or not. See San Francisco's recent past to see the fallout of that approach.

The management is very sound in Indy. They put together a high-octane offense to bring in lots of casual fans. The problem is, of course, that offense doesn't win titles. I firmly believe that the Colts plan on becoming a defensive team when Manning and Harrison retire. The problem is, they're not retiring fast enough, and so the fans are getting disgruntled over the early exits every year.

Case in point: Name one NFL champion in the last 10 years that spent most of their money on the offensive side of the ball. Guess what? You can't.

It reads in tone like you disagree with me but yet you seem to be making my argument.

...Altho I think it's folly to plan on shoring up the defense after Peyton and Marvin retire. You're wasting them in that case... and severely testing the core of the fanbase with that type of strategy.

But to the point of the here and now-

First, Peyton Manning is going to make a lot of receivers look good if they do their homework. So let's start putting some money into the other side of the ball. Please.

Secondly... I don't think it's just money that is the problem. Are you saying that only undersized, lame defenders are available for the prices we are paying? Can't we at least get lame defenders who are more near the average size for their positions?

Maybe we first need to start looking at players who are physically big enough to play their positions in the modern NFL and rethink this 'small and fast' idea. Especially up front. And as small as our guys are according to the numbers, my guess is that the numbers are inflated. Cato June was reported to have said he's actually 209lbs!

That doesn't mean we scrap everyone in this defense but it means that we find ways to better utilize them.... and that falls right back to management and coaches.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden