Thread: George Karl rips Isiah

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default George Karl rips Isiah

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...iah_a_jacka**/

There's a better sound clip out there, but dont have a link for it, but its great seeing Isiah's reputation get worse and worse. If he tries to do anymore to ruin the NBA, they'll have his career removed hehe.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Default Re: George Karl rips Isiah

George Karl, you the man!

:hammer-hits-nail-on-head:

There are going to be several articles about this today.

Here is just one

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basket...elateds-sports

Nuggets coach Karl goes on tirade against Isiah

BY ALAN HAHN
    Newsday Staff Writer

December 19, 2006, 12:26 AM EST

David Stern thought the NBA could put Saturday night's fight between the Knicks and Denver Nuggets behind them when he punished the players involved. But Nuggets coach George Karl kept it going Monday by insulting Knicks coach Isiah Thomas in response to Thomas' suggestion that Karl started the whole thing by attempting to run up the score.

Karl told Denver reporters "there's no question it's wrong" that Thomas wasn't reprimanded by the NBA. He added, "He's full of -- -- . He's a total -- -- and he should be held accountable for what his actions are."

Karl also said, "In my mind, it was premeditated, it was directed by Isiah. I think his actions after the game were despicable. He made a bad situation worse."

Before Monday night's game against the Utah Jazz, Thomas was asked if he would respond to Karl.

"Not at all," he said.

But after the morning shoot-around, Thomas reiterated his postgame comments that Karl shouldn't have had his starters, including star Carmelo Anthony, in the game in the final minutes of the Nuggets' rout. The Nuggets led by 19 points when rookie Mardy Collins was charged with a flagrant foul on Nuggets guard J.R. Smith with 1:15 left. The fight was ignited from there.

"He put his players in a tough position," Thomas said. "I think he put his players in a very bad position."

Karl, a close friend of former Knicks coach Larry Brown -- a Thomas nemesis -- said he'll "swear on my children's life" that he wasn't trying to run up the score.

"My team has had trouble holding leads at the end of games," he said. "I didn't want the score to get under 10 points, because I think if it would have gotten under 10 points, it would have negative feeling on my team because of how we've blown leads in the past."

The Nuggets led by 24 points in the third quarter, but the Knicks rallied in the final 5:58 of the quarter to make it a 10-point deficit. Though Thomas said the Knicks had "surrendered" late in the fourth quarter, Karl pointed out that Thomas had the same lineup on the court that made the third-quarter run.

"He didn't throw in no towel," Karl said. "He didn't take his best team off the court and say, 'Hey, the game's over.' He never gave one damn to it. It's absurd.

"I think he's a jackass, the way he called me out in the game. I'll take a lie-detector test that I never even thought about running up the . I just wanted to win, get a big win on the road and go home."
    Copyright 2006 Newsday Inc.

To print this page, select File then Print from your browser
    URL: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...224005,00.html

Jon Barry

Karl fires away at Isiah
    By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
    December 19, 2006

Nuggets coach George Karl blames New York coach Isiah Thomas for starting last Saturday's brawl at Madison Square Garden. And Karl had no problems Monday letting that be known.

"He's full of ----. He's a total ---hole and he should be held accountable for what his actions are," said an emotional Karl, who used profanity in describing his feelings for Thomas.

Seven players were suspended by the NBA for the altercation. But

Thomas received no penalties from the league even though Karl believed Thomas instructed his players to be rough because of Thomas being upset about Karl leaving his starters in late in Denver's 123-100 win.

"There is no question in my mind it was premeditated," Karl said. "It was directed by Isiah. I think his actions after the game (were) despicable. He made a bad situation worse. I'll swear on my children's life that I never thought about running up the score. My team has had trouble holding leads at the end of games."

With the Nuggets holding a 119-100 lead late in the game, four starters and Eduardo Najera, who usually starts but didn't Saturday, were on the floor. Thomas after the game said he asked Anthony why he and center Marcus Camby were still in the game late.

He accused the Nuggets of running up the score and said that played a role in rookie Mardy Collins' flagrant foul with 1:15 left.

Collins' foul touched off the melee. Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony, who punched Collins, got the most serious penalty at 15 games.

"I think he's a jack--- for the way he called me out after the game because I can swear - I'll take a lie-detector test - that I never even thought about running up the (score)," Karl said of Thomas, also calling him a "jerk."

Asked before Monday night's game against Utah if he wished to respond to Karl's comments, Thomas, who had heated words with Karl last summer after Karl had criticized the firing of former Knicks coach Larry Brown, said, "Not at all."

Calvin Andrews, agent for Anthony, said Sunday that Anthony told him Thomas made threats during a free-throw line situation with 1:32 left. Andrews said Thomas said, "You and your teammates better not go to the hole" because "you might get hurt."

After the game, Andrews said Thomas told Anthony, "I told you so."

After Monday morning's shootaround, Thomas denied those accusations, saying he "didn't warn" Anthony and it "wasn't a threat." He said he said "this isn't a way you should act" and that the Nuggets "shouldn't be rubbing it in."

The NBA investigated the situation. But Thomas was not penalized.

"My finding was there was not adequate evidence upon which to make a determination," NBA commissioner David Stern said. "If I thought that somebody had given a specific order to injure another player I would react very differently, and I don't believe that happened here."

Stern was asked about comments Karl made Monday about Thomas.

"I'll be dealing with the Nuggets organization for that," Stern said. "That's for (Nuggets owner Stan) Kroenke to decide, and I'll have that conversation with him about the public comments of his employees. Although, if it gets beyond the emotional outburst of the moment and there is continued lack of self control, I will deal with it myself."

Indications were Stern won't penalize Karl, calling it a "one-time outburst." But he stressed "many people are watching us, many of them young."

Nuggets vice president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien said Karl's comments are "being addressed internally." He said "George is done commenting" on Thomas and "the thought that he is thinking about some silliness on the other side is silly."

Thomas was upset with Karl last summer after he criticized the handling of Brown, Karl's good friend. But Warkentien called it an "urban myth" starters were left in due to Brown's firing.

"Those who believe that should be chasing . . . Ron (Goldman) and Nicole (Brown Simpson)'s killer," Warkentien said.

Warkentien said Karl left starters in late during a lopsided game Dec. 12 at Atlanta, which has assistant Herb Brown, who is Larry's brother.

After Monday's shootaround, Thomas stopped short of blaming Karl for the situation. But he said Karl "put his players in a very bad position" by leaving in his starters.

The Knicks and Nuggets don't play again this season.

"If (Karl) knew we were coming back to Denver or playing them here, I don't think he would've had those things to say," Knicks guard Steve Francis said.Harsh words

Comments by Nuggets coach George Karl about Knicks coach Isiah Thomas, and a response from Knicks guard Steve Francis:

"There is no question in my mind it was premeditated. It was directed by Isiah. I think his actions after the game (were) despicable. He made a bad situation worse."

THEY SAID IT

"I was very disappointed. Clearly, we're not getting through or players in certain circumstances just don't want to be restrained. I would suggest that those players will not have long careers in the NBA."

- David Stern,

NBA commissioner

"If J.R. Smith gets up and acts like nothing happened, then there is no issue. So I don't understand why Carmelo gets more games than J.R. Smith, because if J.R. walks away from it, then there is no issue at all."

- Jon Barry,

ESPN analyst, former Nugget

"The incident was deeply regrettable, unacceptable on every level, and I hope and expect to never witness anything like that again. We are all very sorry it happened."

- James Dolan, Madison

Square Garden chairman

"Too many games . . . way too many when you hear that Isiah Thomas will sit out zero games. Seven to 10 games was a sensible range to me."

- Marc Stein,

ESPN columnist

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...224005,00.html

Sports Logo

Since when is Larry Brown an Isiah nemesis. I suppose maybe since he was a coach under him but before that they were pretty close.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/basket...elateds-sportsThe Nuggets led by 24 points in the third quarter, but the Knicks rallied in the final 5:58 of the quarter to make it a 10-point deficit. Though Thomas said the Knicks had "surrendered" late in the fourth quarter, Karl pointed out that Thomas had the same lineup on the court that made the third-quarter run.

"He didn't throw in no towel," Karl said. "He didn't take his best team off the court and say, 'Hey, the game's over.' He never gave one damn to it. It's absurd.
    What's funny is that one can interpret these comments as Karl having more respect for the Knicks team and their ability to rally in the 4th QTR then Thomas does.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    George Karl, you the man!

:hammer-hits-nail-on-head:
    I agree. It was great to hear him lay it out like that.

I enjoyed Karl's comments.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The account of what IT "supposedly" said to Anthony sounds much like what he "supposedly" said about Bowen when he complained about him. He "supossedly" told his team to break Bowen's foot and now he "supposedly" threatens that the Nuggests shouldn't go to the hole or else. He then tries to make Karl the villian afterward by saying it was his fault that IT's guy would make an unneccessary foul in garbage time. IT seems to always be able to point the finger when something bad happens.