Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is a loaded one. Potential "coming out of player".

Post This is a loaded one. Potential "coming out of player".

http://www.mediatakeout.com/Exclusives/NJNet_Gay.html
    December 7. The NBA is about to be rocked by one of the biggest scandals in league history. MediaTakeOut.com has learned that a prominent member of the New Jersey Nets has admitted to his family that he's bisexual.

In an exclusive interview, MediaTakeOut.com spoke with a friend of the family who claims the player "came out" during a recent trip home. According to our source, "when [the player] came out of the closet, everyone was shocked ... we would always see pictures of him with models. No one suspected that he was into men."

And what's more shocking, tells our source, is that the NBA player has entered into a romantic relationship with one of his childhood friends. The tipster explains, "the two boys were friends since childhood ... when [the player] went to the NBA, he brought along [the friend] as a personal assistant." The tipster added, "I don't know how to feel, I love them both but something doesn't seem right about them being together like that."

And the source tells MediaTakeOut.com that the NBA star's relationship with his former pal appears to be serious. The source explains, "[the player] could have kept it quiet and nobody would have suspected. He came out because he wanted us to accept his relationship." The source added, "those two have been friends for many years .. if their relationship is anything like their friendship, its got to be serious."

The NBA player, who is African American, has been linked to a number of women in the past - all of whom are Caucasian. He is also known for enjoying the night life with his teammates and good friend Tyson Beckford.

For legal reasons, MediaTakeOut.com has decided not to print the name of the player

I don't know if this is really going to be a huge scandal but these things are seldom acknowledged or talked about in pro sports so I thought I'd share it. Maybe it's better suited for the political board but whatever.

Default Re: This is a loaded one. Potential "coming out of player".

Well, that basically means its Richard Jefferson or Vince Carter.

I'm not sure how this is a scandal or anything. If a person chooses that as their preference, then thats the way it is.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it is probably Vince.

I think that's great that he has the guts to do this. He knows it will be difficult, espcially playing in a pro sports league, but it is a fantastic thing and shows a lot for his character.

Loads of support to whoever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure how this is a scandal or anything. If a person chooses that as their preference, then thats the way it is.
    Oh I agree with you. In fact, I think it's upsetting that this should even be news or that people actually care enough to be potentially upset about it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

whoever "he" is its his personal business so whatever he wants to do in his personal life is ok by me. who am i to judge someones personal lifestyle ?

$10 says its Vince Carter
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    $10 says its Vince Carter
    I wouldn't, because it isn't.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

now that im looking at other storys on that site it looks like nothing but lies, most...if not all the the storys on that site seem fake as can be
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

This would be great that he has this kind of courage...if true...I seriously doubt that it is, though.

Leisure Suit Larry

my money is on Richard Jefferson

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Leisure Suit Larry View Post
    my money is on Richard Jefferson
    I always thought that before I read this....

Has any other source confirmed this in any way, shape, or form?

Leisure Suit Larry

This stuff was over on the realgm boards

Quote Originally Posted by efx View Post
    The NBA player, who is African American, has been linked to a number of women in the past - all of whom are Caucasian. He is also known for enjoying the night life with his teammates and good friend Tyson Beckford.
    but then again VC likes him too.....

Then there is this.....

http://www.nba.com/nets/multimedia/i...movinonup.html
    Now, seven months later, Jefferson finds himself on a first place team playing alongside arguably the best point guard in the league. Has winning helped his transition from college to the NBA?

“Definitely,” Jefferson answered. “The fact that this team is winning has helped tremendously. My best friends in the world are back in Arizona. I grew up there and went to college there, so to leave and come 3,000 miles away was tough.”

Luckily for the 22 year old, one of his best friends from school decided to take a year off and keep his friend company in New Jersey.

“He has helped me get settled,” Jefferson said. “At least I have him to hang out with. I didn’t know anyone on this side of the country.”

I don't think this is anyone business.

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    now that im looking at other storys on that site it looks like nothing but lies, most...if not all the the storys on that site seem fake as can be
    Yes, please look at the other stories on the site before you start to give this one any crediblity.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

It sounds horrible but I always speculated about RJ's orientation. However I have no problem with him, if true props for having the guts. On the other hand this isn't exactly cnbc reporting.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    I always speculated about RJ's orientation.
    Why do you care. The last thing I care about is a basketball players sex lives. (I always assume they just don't have one)

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Why do you care. The last thing I care about is a basketball players sex lives. (I always assume they just don't have one)
    I dunno why I care its not like sit down and really think about for a long time. Its just whenever I see RJ being interviewed I kind of got that vibe from him. I don't really care either in terms of being against it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Diesel_81

I don't think this is anyone business.

Couldn't agree more.

Will other players be announcing that they are heterosexual?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

IF they want too, would that be a problem to you?

I think it's pretty brave considering the type of (glass)world they are living in. A lot of people won't accept the fact that there ARE bi-sexuals and homosexuals among NBA athletes aswell or atleast will approach it negatively. That's why in my opinion it IS important for some to come out. It shouldn't be something an athlete would have to be ashamed about or be cursed off, while he's doing his job, which is playing basketball.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    IF they want too, would that be a problem to you?

I think it's pretty brave considering the type of (glass)world they are living in. A lot of people won't accept the fact that there ARE bi-sexuals and homosexuals among NBA athletes aswell or atleast will approach it negatively. That's why in my opinion it IS important for some to come out. It shouldn't be something an athlete would have to be ashamed about or be cursed off, while he's doing his job, which is playing basketball.

Regards,

Mourning

Who is suggesting they have to be ashamed of it. Although cheating on your wife might be something to be ashamed of. Maybe every pro athlete ought to give a full account of their sexual history - is that what we want?

Who is suggesting they have to be ashamed of it.
    Come on Unclebuck. We all know how the religious right feels about sexual "deviancy" and we also know that a lot of cursing words have to do with someone else beying or acting like a non-heterosexual. Let's not kid ourselves here.

And I'm not talking just about the States, but it's here too (though the religious right isn't near as large, powerfull and/or influential as it is in the US). It's something that has to do with sports mainly, I guess. It's still largely a macho culture, which is ok as long as it does not force people to act like people they are not or in a behaviour that they don't have.

Although cheating on your wife might be something to be ashamed of.
    Cheating on your wife is absolutely something to be ashamed of in my opinion, though there are circumstances that there is so much (group/society) pressure on a person who is simply not strong enough mentally to resist or would feel threatened if he would come "out" with how he really feels, sexually. I don't know if the latter is still occuring in the States. It's not very prevalent here, except with some immigrant groups, where there still is a big stigma on bi- and homosexuality.

Either way such a marriage or relationship is a drama on its self for both persons if you would ask me.

Maybe every pro athlete ought to give a full account of their sexual history - is that what we want?
    That is not what we want and I don't think anyone has implied we should go that way. Maybe, other people should ask themselves how it's possible that apparantly there are almost no bi- or homosexuals amongst athletes? Or could it be that there are much more of them amongs athletes, but they feel it would be very wise for them to not show the way they feel (like going to a movie premiere with their boyfriend)?

The answer to that question is where the problem lies IMO.

Regards,

Mourning

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Will other players be announcing that they are heterosexual?

-Bball
    Maybe every pro athlete ought to give a full account of their sexual history - is that what we want?

I think you are taking this from the wrong angle. Straight athletes can talk about virtually anything about their lives. Everything from their favorite foods to how much they love their wives. But gay athletes feel like they can't even talk about their homosexuality at all. It is not a matter of "stay out of my business", it it a matter of "I'm not allowed to talk about my business". They aren't trying to protect their privacy, they feel like they are forced to keep their lives secrect.

Every time a heterosexual athlete talks about his wife or girlfriend, he is declaring his sexual orientation. Gay athletes can't talk about their boyfriends. So while athletes aren't lining up in a row while one-by-one saying "I'm gay, I'm straight", the straight players are declaring themselves every time they do an interview and talk about their personal lives, while gay players are forced into silence out of fear of a backlash.

So what we end up with in the NBA is a version of "Don't ask, don't tell". Is this what we want?

The reason I have interest in this story is the hope that the double standard of sexual orientation can be broken in pro sports. Even though Richard Jefferson or any other athlete can't do it by himself, it is a good step in the direction that our society needs to take.

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    I think you are taking this from the wrong angle. Straight athletes can talk about virtually anything about their lives. Everything from their favorite foods to how much they love their wives. But gay athletes feel like they can't even talk about their homosexuality at all. It is not a matter of "stay out of my business", it it a matter of "I'm not allowed to talk about my business". They aren't trying to protect their privacy, they feel like they are forced to keep their lives secrect.

Every time a heterosexual athlete talks about his wife or girlfriend, he is declaring his sexual orientation. Gay athletes can't talk about their boyfriends. So while athletes aren't lining up in a row while one-by-one saying "I'm gay, I'm straight", the straight players are declaring themselves every time they do an interview and talk about their personal lives, while gay players are forced into silence out of fear of a backlash.

So what we end up with in the NBA is a version of "Don't ask, don't tell". Is this what we want?

The reason I have interest in this story is the hope that the double standard of sexual orientation can be broken in pro sports. Even though Richard Jefferson or any other athlete can't do it by himself, it is a good step in the direction that our society needs to take.
    I fully aggree with what you wrote FavaDave. It's also what I hinted at in the last paragraph of my previous post. You wrote it down more clearly and direct though.

Regards,

Mourning

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Come on Unclebuck. We all know how the religious right feels about sexual "deviancy" and we also know that a lot of cursing words have to do with someone else beying or acting like a non-heterosexual. Let's not kid ourselves here.
    I don't think it is the religious right in this case which is the main barrier against an athlete coming out. There are plenty of irreligious and non-Republican people who help create the environment.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."