Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Vecsey: Iverson demands to be traded (mentions Pacers)

Default Re: Chicago Or Boston Iverson's Top Choices?

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah him skipping fan Jam will really please the average fan. And the important thing is to increase attendance not, Win. How silly of me to want to win, we can increase attendance.
    There is little Iverson can do to lower this team's status in the eyes of the public. From Artest to Club Rio, we cannot get much lower from a PR standpoint. In fact, I suspect adding him will improve that area because it is well known he has grown up significantly. This will be particularly true if we offload a couple of the Club Rio boys.

You can be sure he will boost merchandise sales big time.

I think we have enough quality depth to make a multi-player trade and get him. It is time to make a run with JO and AI!!!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Trading for Iverson is probably the only thing that could happen that would cause me to rethink my being a Pacer fan....guys a total jerk and takes 30-35 shots a game....last thing in the world we need!!!!!

Default Re: David Aldridge | Iverson can be dealt if right cards played

Hinrich's a relatively big PG, Iverson's a small SG. Sure, they'd be mismatched at one of the guard spots against a team like NJ, but hell, everyone's mismatched against NJ, and AI would make them pay at the other end.

The bulls have trouble scoring, they need someone to take 35 shots a game.

AI is a tenacious defender and would fit in with Skiles defensive scheme.

Hinrich and Deng can shoot the three and create space for AI.

Perfect fit for Chicago.

Are we really going to have to spend the next three years going against AI in Chicago and Lebron in Cleveland. I'm a little worried.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Vecsey: Iverson demands to be traded (mentions Pacers)

Minny's owner has said he will not pay Iverson's salary which will probably not sit well with KG since he just said he wants AI on the Wolves. Watch out KG maybe the next star on the move.

George Karl said before the Heat game last night that he does not want AI on the Nuggets.

That leaves us, Bulls, and Celtics as the remaining rumored teams.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minny's owner has said he will not pay Iverson's salary which will probably not sit well with KG since he just said he wants AI on the Wolves. Watch out KG maybe the next star on the move.

George Karl said before the Heat game last night that he does not want AI on the Nuggets.

Default Re: David Aldridge | Iverson can be dealt if right cards played

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You think Skiles wants Iverson on his team? I highly, highly doubt it. I think the BUlls will hold out and hope KG or Pierce comes available.

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post

Maybe organically/positionally for the Bulls he would be perfect, but I doubt that Bulls management would like to risk their group of young and talented players on Iverson's attitude and approach to some team things. I could be wrong, but I would understand it from their side with Ben allready beying there and Skiles not beying a "softie" himself.
    I'l also copy my response from the other thread since the Bulls thing is being discussed in both, maybe a merge or a delete on the other one is in order?

Hinrich's a relatively big PG, Iverson's a small SG. Sure, they'd be mismatched at one of the guard spots against a team like NJ, but hell, everyone's mismatched against NJ, and AI would make them pay at the other end.

The bulls have trouble scoring, they need someone to take 35 shots a game.

AI is a tenacious defender and would fit in with Skiles defensive scheme.

Hinrich and Deng can shoot the three and create space for AI.

As far as chemistry, winning cures all, and I think that Bulls team would flat out win a lot of games. Sure, Skiles and AI would but heads a little bit, but that's OK as long as they're winning games. There's a chance it could all go to hell for them, but I'll tell you this: no matter how bad things get, AI will always go out and play hard, and if you take that approach to the NBA, you will get wins.

Perfect fit for Chicago.

Are we really going to have to spend the next three years going against AI in Chicago and Lebron in Cleveland. I'm a little worried.

Default Wolves: We Can't Afford Iverson

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...l/16199928.htm

Wolves: We can't afford Iverson
    Rumors, fueled by Iverson imposter, featured deal here
    From staff reports
    Allen Iverson and the Philadelphia 76ers appear headed toward a bitter parting.

But Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor said he won't end up in Minnesota, despite a flood of rumors Friday night that said otherwise.

"No trade," Taylor said during the Wolves' 110-103 victory over Utah on Friday night at Target Center. "It isn't that I don't like him. Just money-wise, it wouldn't work out."

Speculation heated up the past couple of days about where Iverson could end up. The Wolves were at the top of the list of possible destinations.

ESPN reporter Jim Gray announced on the air that Iverson told him in a telephone interview Friday that he was heading to Minnesota. He came back on the air soon after to say that he had been "duped," admitting, "I was talking to an imposter."

Iverson's 11-year career in Philadelphia took another tumultuous turn Friday when the former NBA most valuable player hinted that a trade might be best after the Sixers sent him home and ruled him out of their next two games.

"As hard as it is to admit, a change may be the best thing for everyone," Iverson said. "I hate admitting that because I love the guys on the team and the city of Philadelphia. I truly wanted to retire a 76er."

"We'll trade him," Sixers chairman Ed Snider said Friday night. "At a certain point, you have to come to grips with the fact that it's not working. He wants out, and we're ready to accommodate him."

Snider said Iverson has "probably" played his last game with the Sixers, ending a career that placed him with Julius Erving, Charles Barkley and Wilt Chamberlain among the team's greats.

"I think it's time for him to move on, for us to move on and find out where everything stands," Snider said. "I really didn't see it coming because Allen says all the right things."

In a surprising turn of events, Iverson was banished by the club and didn't play Friday against Washington. Team President Billy King said the move was not a suspension and Iverson's future would be re-evaluated after tonight's game at Orlando.

King and coach Maurice Cheeks said Iverson was sent home because he did not practice on Thursday and left Wednesday's blowout loss at Chicago with back spasms. However, the move to bench their captain comes with Iverson's name swirling in heavy trade rumors.

King would not say before the Sixers' game against the Wizards whether Iverson had asked for a trade or if he was actively trying to trade the four-time NBA scoring champion. Snider confirmed that Iverson did ask this week to be dealt.

"Allen was not able to practice yesterday because of the back, and today Mo made a decision not to play him tonight or tomorrow," King said. "We told him to just take the night off and tomorrow."

Iverson told a different story. Iverson, whose off-court behavior and coaching clashes often overshadowed his gritty, highlight-reel play, released a statement through agent Leon Rose stating that he told the Sixers he was healthy enough to play.

Iverson said he was told not to participate in shootaround and instead watched from the sideline. He joined the Sixers in the huddle, then was told by Cheeks not to come to the Wachovia Center.

"In my entire career, even the doctors haven't been able to tell me not to play," Iverson said. "I've played through injury and illness. I think everyone knows how much I love being out on the court, competing and winning. That's why it was so disheartening to be told that I couldn't play, knowing that I was ready. It hurt even more to be told not to come at all."

Iverson, who leads the league with a 31.7-point average, left Wednesday night's 121-94 loss at Chicago in the second half, complaining of the spasms, and did not practice Thursday. The Sixers are 5-13, have lost six straight and 13 of 15 overall.

"This season has been very frustrating for everyone," Iverson said. "We've lost 12 of 14 games and nothing seems to be working. I have expressed my frustration to my teammates, however, I have continued to give 100 percent night in and night out. Apparently, it hasn't been enough to help our team win."

Even with the Sixers sinking toward another lottery-bound season, Snider said Cheeks and King's jobs were safe.

Cheeks said he expected Iverson to finish the season in Philadelphia.

Iverson reportedly was nearly dealt last offseason to Boston.

This report includes information from the Associated Press.

The mass merging that just went on makes me look like a retard for posting the same thing 3 times.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

the more and more i think about it the Pacers have a damn good shot at getting AI if the package is right...i just hope for the love of god that Danny Granger isn't in the package *prays*

realistically i just don't see AI going to Chicago being right, nor do i see him going to the Wolves(as stated in this thread title) nor do i see him going to Denver...I could only see him going to Boston or like ive said in other threads...to a west coast team..which team you ask ? i don't know
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Anybody think Miami and Detroit are making offers for him?

Mood

they both could be but i dont see them offering up enough people worth the interest of Philly

im sure Miami would be offering Walker and Payton in a deal...who wants them ? i know i sure wouldn't. but eh thats just me
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Reading this thread has nearly made my eyes bleed.

And please, everyone, just take a deep breath....

We are not getting Allen Iverson. WE JUST DON'T HAVE THE CHIPS. It's really, really not even worth discussing. They won't want JO. And Granger is much less coveted by a team that has Igoudala and Carney already at the 3. The Bulls and Cs and Lakers and many other teams all have much, much, much more to offer.

As for Iverson....That "we talking about practice" press conference was like five years ago. So aside from this latest trade request (which I see as completely warranted and absolutely uncomparable to Artest for lots of reasons), I really can't think of a single thing that has happened in recent years that leaves any remaining questions about his attitude. He's a 31-year-old adult now, not a punk kid.

Also...if you don't think he'd fit in on our squad and don't want him for on-the-court reasons....that's fine. But please don't question his ability to play basketball. It just makes you look foolish.

He's coming off a career year in which he averaged 33 points per game on 44.7% shooting. That's Four Four dot Seven Percent.

Only seven other guards in the entire League shot better than AI from the floor, while averaging 15+ ppg.

Michael Redd 45.0%
    Kobe 45.0%
    Joe Johnson 45.3%
    Ray Allen 45.4%
    Mike James 46.9%
    Rip 49.1%
    Dwyane Wade 49.5%

Only James, Rip and Wade can be called better by a significant margin.

(By the way, not a single Pacers guard has shot 44.7% from the field since Reggie did so in '01-'02. Redbull is currently at 45.4% for this year, but raise your hand if you expect that to last.)

Meanwhile, AI was 8th in assists per game and only averaged 3.4 TOs per game. (Hard to write only there, but that's a good number for him and really not that bad for anyone handling the ball as much as he does. Makes for a 2.3 ***/TO ratio, as well.)

A big part of his improved FG% and the other things that came in his career year of 05-06 was that he got to the line a career high 11.5 times per game. This, along with him only shooting 3.1 threes per game (4.5 per the previous year and a 4.1 per career average) shows that he is once again concentrating on getting to the rim like he was 25 years old again.

His numbers from 04-05 were not quite as good as last year (42.4% FG), but they were mostly all improvements from his earlier career numbers and do also suggest (along with the game tapes) that this is probably a "too-be-expected" evolution in the approach to the game of a first-ballot Hall of Famer, rather than just a one-year anomaly.

But by all means, just continue go ahead and base your opinions about both the ability and the attitude of the best 6' foot or under guy to ever play in the NBA* on things that happened years ago.

* (apologies to Bob Cousy and Tiny Archibald)
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post

We are not getting Allen Iverson. WE JUST DON'T HAVE THE CHIPS. It's really, really not even worth discussing. They won't want JO. And Granger is much less coveted by a team that has Igoudala and Carney already at the 3. The Bulls and Cs and Lakers and many other teams all have much, much, much more to offer.

As for Iverson....That "we talking about practice" press conference was like five years ago. So aside from this latest trade request (which I see as completely warranted and absolutely uncomparable to Artest for lots of reasons), I really can't think of a single thing that has happened in recent years that leaves any remaining questions about his attitude. He's a 31-year-old adult now, not a punk kid.

Also...if you don't think he'd fit in on our squad and don't want him for on-the-court reasons....that's fine. But please don't question his ability to play basketball. It just makes you look foolish.

He's coming off a career year in which he averaged 33 points per game on 44.7% shooting. That's Four Four dot Seven Percent.

Only seven other guards in the entire League shot better than AI from the floor, while averaging 15+ ppg.

Michael Redd 45.0%
    Kobe 45.0%
    Joe Johnson 45.3%
    Ray Allen 45.4%
    Mike James 46.9%
    Rip 49.1%
    Dwyane Wade 49.5%

(By the way, not a single Pacers guard has shot 44.7% from the field since Reggie did so in '01-'02. Redbull is currently at 45.4% for this year, but raise your hand if you expect that to last.)

Meanwhile, AI was 8th in assists per game and only averaged 3.4 TOs per game. (Hard to write only there, but that's a good number for him and really not that bad for anyone handling the ball as much as he does. Makes for a 2.3 ***/TO ratio, as well.)

A big part of his improved FG% and the other things that came in his career year of 05-06 was that he got to the line a career high 11.5 times per game. This, along with him only shooting 3.1 threes per game (4.5 per the previous year and a 4.1 per career average) shows that he is once again concentrating on getting to the rim like he was 25 years old again.

His numbers from 04-05 were not quite as good as last year (42.4% FG), but they were mostly all improvements from his earlier career numbers and do also suggest (along with the game tapes) that this is probably a "too-be-expected" evolution in the approach to the game of a first-ballot Hall of Famer, rather than just a one-year anomaly.

But by all means, just continue go ahead and base your opinions about both the ability and the attitude of the best 6' foot or under guy to ever play in the NBA* on things that happened years ago.

great post......very good information

I can't understand all this hating on AI's game. Sure, maybe you don't like his attitude or style or whatever, but there's no doubt he's one of the best guards in the history of basketball.

Dude's like 5'10 and he's 3RD ALL-TIME IN CAREER PPG.

If I were KG, I would be next to demand a trade. That's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post

Michael Redd 45.0%
    Kobe 45.0%
    Joe Johnson 45.3%
    Ray Allen 45.4%
    Mike James 46.9%
    Rip 49.1%
    Dwyane Wade 49.5%

I suspect the 76'ers owners have been around to see all you have quoted above. Guess what? It looks they can't wait to ship him out. I think there might be a reason for that.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    Anybody think Miami and Detroit are making offers for him?
    For Miami....that's what they need....yet another player that needs the ball to be in his hand to be effective. The rest of the team would be standing around watching Shaq, Wade and AI shoot the ball.

I think that he would fit better in Detroit.....with Flip's offense. We know that the Big 4 ( Chauncey, Rip, Prince and Sheed ) aren't going.....so I don't know where he would play...or what pieces they would give up to acquire him.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    I suspect the 76'ers owners have been around to see all you have quoted above. Guess what? It looks they can't wait to ship him out. I think there might be a reason for that.
    Really? They can't wait to ship him out? Then why didn't they do it sooner if he is such a pain? Why did it have to come to him going to them behind closed doors and asking for a trade before anything was done? That statement is laughable at best.

Shade, I believe we could see KG ask for a trade very soon. He came out and said he would like to have Iverson on the Wolves and then within the day, the owner rebukes. Basically saying we don't give two ****s what KG wants we aren't paying for AI and we aren't interested in giving KG that other star he desperately needs and deserves. To me this is the justifiable reason KG has been waiting for to ask out of Minny.

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    It's because the only thing they have on their roster are two 30+ guys making close to $40 million (one who can barely walk) and a bunch of bad-to-promising young players. By the time the young'ns are ready, the other guys will be past their prime.

And they could have traded Ivy this summer if they wanted to anyway. They decided to keep him. By most accounts, they had a good offer from Boston that they turned down. They clearly were not incredibly eager to trade four months ago.

Now he told them he wants to leave (behind closed doors and with a lot more dignity than most anyone else who has recently asked to be moved I might add). So they have responded by saying "Okay" now that their hand has been forced. There is no evidence to say that they are now thrilled to get rid of their local icon and franchise player coming off a career year. But they are willingly doing so at his request and probably for the betterment of their franchise's future ability to compete for a Title (he is 31 and all). They may also be doing so out of respect to said local icon, if you'll also allow me a conjecture equally unfounded by facts.

Whether or not AI's asking for a trade was appropriate is another debate, but from the "practice" press conference until the other day, there are very few cases (that I'm aware of) that can be used to suggest that AI has acted as anything but a complete and utter professional, and as someone that everyone on his roster looks up to as a historically great player and the leader of the Philadelphia 76ers. His behavior on Team USA was also highly regarded by many who considered him as the only person that gave 100% effort in Athens, for those of you into patriotism.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post

As far as chemistry, winning cures all, and I think that Bulls team would flat out win a lot of games. Sure, Skiles and AI would but heads a little bit, but that's OK as long as they're winning games. There's a chance it could all go to hell for them, but I'll tell you this: no matter how bad things get, AI will always go out and play hard, and if you take that approach to the NBA, you will get wins.

Perfect fit for Chicago.
    Skiles and AI would butt heads more than a little. Wallace, AI, and Skiles are clearly combustible. I don't think that Chicago will go for AI. Skiles won't even let Wallace wear a head band . Do you think Skiles will tolerate all the AI stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Scott's fact filled posts were about Bonzi Wells.
    Good point, as I sit here red-faced. Bonzi Wells, Iverson, Rose... are at the bottom of my list, in that order.

But thanks for the correction. Sorry, Scott.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

I just read this entire thread from start to finish....and my IQ has dropped >100 pts for doing so.

Like him or not, AI is one HUGE draw at the gate and at the sovenier (sp) stand. ANY trade for AI begins with JO or it does not even start. Simple economics. Money talks and that's that.

For the record, I have mellowed over the years re: Ivy...he was the one player that did not quit during the Olympics and I said then I was cutting him slack from that day on. That does not mean I want him on the team. If I'm moving JO I want younger and more team oriented players than Ivy. I think we can get more and more complete players for JO.

It's a trite cliche I know but I'm going to use it anyway.......

There is an I in Iverson, and it ALWAYS comes first.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I would love to get AI, but I would be shocked if it happens.

I guarantee if we got him, the post game threads would be filled with quotes like "Wow, we got such a steal. I never really realized how special this guy is". As has been said before in this thread, winning cures everything. I think JO and CO want to win so bad and so does AI. That would be a ton of talent, and talent in its prime on our team, and you can't pass on that. I believe they would figure out a way to play together because of the stage of their careers that they are at.

But, I'm not getting my hopes up.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Jay, I agree that AI has shown improved attitude. BUT so has Jackson, doesn't seem to matter to local fans.

AI skipped the fan night game at the end of last season and now is in the trade demand mode ala Ron last year. You either see it as the organization really is messed up and he should want out, or he is not being very mature in dealing with his unhappiness.

I get why you see it as a possible good gamble, a fresh situation to get him going again. But what if it is his attitude that has kept them down?

I don't get how fans could ride JO or Jack for taking too many shots and then celebrate getting AI.

I like AI's game, but then I also happen to feel pretty decent about most of the Pacers main players. The guards aren't AI, but they aren't the big money players, that's JO and AL. I really like what those 2 have done this year, so to me a lot of this is "what's the problem and is it anywhere near as bad as Philly's situation?"

AI is going to cost a team A LOT. Not money, but salary I mean. You get him if you don't have a reliable huge money star, same as KG. If you have a bunch of mid-level talent and no big star (as Miami saw themselves before the Shaq deal) then you trade.

I don't think JO is quite at that level and I don't think AL is playing below his contract to warrant a move.

Jack and Tins for AI? Does that work and is Philly interested? That's about as close as you can get to a sensible deal, and it still pulls a bench guy up to SG or PG starter - Rawle or Saras or Quis.

It's not awful, it's just risky and I don't see the Pacers in a situation where they need to think risk just yet.