Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vecsey: Iverson demands to be traded (mentions Pacers)

Default Vecsey: Iverson demands to be traded (mentions Pacers)

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12082006...sey.htm?page=0

Bad Answer
    IVERSON ON WAY OUT OF PHILLY
    by Peter Vecsey

December 8, 2006 -- THE Allen Iverson Period in Philadelphia is rapidly dragging to an undignified conclusion.

According to two agents whose clients play for the 76ers, Iverson went to team president Billy King this past Tuesday and demanded to be traded, something he professed repeatedly over the years he'd never do.

According to two general managers King contacted yesterday, the 76ers are aggressively attempting to accommodate their forlorn franchise player, whose prohibitive salary (currently $17.1 million with $19M and $20.8M remaining) makes him a difficult sell despite a 31-point average - at least if the Sixers hope to harvest relatively equal value.

At the same time, emphasized one of those GMs: "A.I. is not the only player Billy is looking to move. His second breath is about Chris Webber." And that's not where the conversation stops.

Everybody is gladly available. Andre Iguodala or Sam Dalembert may have to be surrendered in order to move Webber ($20.7M/22.3M next season) or A.I. "But the big push is on to deal Iverson."

That's not solely because he wants out, but because his attitude leaves management no other option. If he were going along with the program, the 76ers would hide and wait for the right opening.

The night after filing for divorce, Iverson essentially put his effort on cruise control in Chicago as the Bulls exterminated the 76ers, 121-94, vaulting to a 39-16 first-quarter spread and winning the subsequent three.

Imagine how competitive it would've been had the Sixers not held a team meeting that afternoon.

A convulsive back was cited as the explanation for Iverson's 25-point (7-17) seven-assist, seven-turnover, defensively-felonious performance. Don't be foolish enough to fall for it. Or Maurice Cheeks' counterfeit contention the 76ers' spirit is "still there," players "still are trying" and "no one has given up."

Iverson, indeed, gave up. "If you know your leader doesn't care, how are we supposed to play with the guy?" steamed a teammate to his agent.

According to the same agent, Iverson told King he likes Cheeks as a person "but not as a coach." In other words, "either he goes or I go."

Despite numerous people in Philadelphia and Portland (where Cheeks coached for three seasons and 55 games) believing Maurice is overmatched on the sidelines, he has the full support of Chairman Ed Snider and King.

As yet another GM points out: "The [76ers] didn't make the playoffs last year and didn't do anything of consequence during the offseason to improve. Regardless of what you may think of Cheeks' coaching acumen, how can be his fault?"

Iverson may not blame Cheeks for the 76ers' worst record in the Atlantic Division, but there's no question they've got differences that aren't going away. One of them pertains to Iverson's lack of attention to detail, lack of respect for authority and unwillingness to practice hard.

Following a conflict at workout last week, Iverson stormed out of the building. That evening he failed to show for a mandatory team function for corporate sponsors and prime season ticket holders.

The announced reason was "after-effects of dental surgery." One of the aforementioned agents contends Iverson told teammates earlier in the day he planned to blow off the event and was simply going to take the fine. For whatever it's worth, Iverson apologized to everyone he stiffed.

Last but certainly not least, it's time to try to figure out Iverson's destination. That is, if it's humanely possible to re-route him. I have to believe there are plenty of teams that would take the plunge because they're desperate for help in the stands, as well as the standings . . . as long as the cost isn't excessive. All it takes is one.

Eliminate the Knicks from the git-go; there's not a chowder clam's chance of the 76ers taking Stephon Marbury or Steve Francis off Isiah Thomas' Dead Sea payroll.

Why wouldn't the staggering Celtics still be interested? The 76ers can do a lot worse than accept several of their young players along with, say, chronically injured Theo Ratliff, who would be allowed to retire gracefully.

The Hawks, too, possess a surplus of young talent at several positions, though the startling play of Tyronn Lue is packing them in (four sellouts in eight home games) so far.

Denver's George Karl expressed interest at one point last season. Andre Miller, Linas Kleiza and Joe Smith might pique the 76ers' interest.

Or how great would it be to see Iverson and Kevin Garnett paired in Minnesota, giving them the opportunity to win their first championship in concert. That way the 76ers could acquire Randy Foye, the object of their affections last June (in Celtics trade talk) and maybe Mike James. That way Minnesota could dump a particularly burdensome contract or two, either Marko Jaric or Troy Hudson.

The Pacers, too, are looking to do something big, reveals a league source. Larry Bird is unhappy with his team's chemistry, meaning Stephen Jackson and Jamaal Tinsley aren't fitting into Rick Carlisle's system. Another $4M-to-$5M piece would have to be included.

peter.vecsey@nypost.com

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Vecsey: Iverson demands to be traded (mentions Pacers)

Stephen Jackson and Jamaal Tinsley and maybe Harrison for Iverson ?

SOLD where do i sign ?

edit: after doing a trade check it looks like that deal wouldnt work...hmmm...ahh well

edit 2: im guessing if a trade were to happen it would involve a 3rd team ?

If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    @thatguyjoe84

Banned

Thats way too good to be true. Although I'm not a huge fan of Iverson and I don't think he'd mix well with Al & JO, getting that quality of talent would be too good to pass up.

I don't like Iverson. I don't think he would improve chemistry.

Indiana Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Jermaine O'Neal
    6-11 PF from Eau Claire (HS)
    20.1 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 2.6 apg in 35.3 minutes
    Stephen Jackson
    6-8 SG from Oak Hill Academy (HS)
    16.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 2.8 apg in 35.9 minutes
    Jamaal Tinsley
    6-1 PG from Iowa State
    9.3 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 5.0 apg in 26.7 minutes
    Incoming
    Allen Iverson
    6-0 PG from Georgetown
    33.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 7.4 apg in 43.0 minutes
    Samuel Dalembert
    6-11 C from Seton Hall
    7.3 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 0.4 apg in 26.7 minutes
    Shavlik Randolph
    6-10 PF from Duke
    2.3 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.3 apg in 8.6 minutes

Successful Scenario

I don't see any way a trade with us could work without some real financial wrangling and a third, desperate team as a partner.

That's the best team-to-team trade I could come up with, not that I would do it. No way would I want Iverson here.

Interesting story, but won't affect us one bit.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Big Al
    Jackowacko
    Mel Mel

for

AI
    Jones
    #2nd pick 2007

works in the trade checker!

We could pair AI with Saras (or Daniels) in the backcourt, and still have a frontcourt of Danger, JO and Feisty.
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

I consider the stuff on Iverson to be completely separate from the stuff on the Pacers. In other words, I don't think the Pacers will even inquire into what it would take to get Iverson.

But it is intersting that the Pacers are looking to do something big.

Iverson is certainly an exciting player with unquestionable talent. My concern is how would he fit in with JO & Al. I know alot of people just don't like Jamaal and Stephen but you can't deny their talent either. Iverson is 31 years old. He's a ballhog. He shoots .421 from the field for his career. He averages 23 shots a game for his career. He has no three point shot, .309 for career. He also makes the news just as often for off court/nonperformance reasons as he does for his play. At this price, I'd have to say pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Vecsey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ....Iverson's lack of attention to detail, lack of respect for authority and unwillingness to practice hard.
    Include me out. The Pacers must improve their consistency, and that means discipline. Talent alone is not going to help. This means no to Iverson, and no to any other wild talent grabs that may be contemplated, whether they work in the Trade checker or not, unless the player acquired is a good citizen.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Another thing, if you held the rights to Allen Iverson wouldn't you want more in return than the players I'd expect the Pacers to be willing to part with. The way our roster is currently contructed, we can't afford to give up any big guys. Outside of JO,Al & Foster, I'm not comfortable riding any of the other guys for 25+ minutes a game. At the point we have Jamaal & Runi past that I'm not comfortable with the game of Armstong or Greene for 25+ either. There is an overflow at the swingman (2/3) position with Jack, Daniels, Marshall, Granger and Runi can play the 2 while Al can play the 3. I think that's where you'll see movement. It won't be for AI though. I think you'll see a couple of those guys + maybe a big we aren't using sent packing for a big (5) we will use.

JO for AI straight up, nothing else.

AI
    Jack
    Granger
    Al
    Foster

^ Not sure if its a better team but its more balanced, plus AI's insanely stupid deal is slightly better than JO's insanely stupid deal.

BTW I know it ain't going to happen

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    Indiana Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing
    Jermaine O'Neal
    6-11 PF from Eau Claire (HS)
    20.1 ppg, 9.3 rpg, 2.6 apg in 35.3 minutes
    Stephen Jackson
    6-8 SG from Oak Hill Academy (HS)
    16.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 2.8 apg in 35.9 minutes
    Jamaal Tinsley
    6-1 PG from Iowa State
    9.3 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 5.0 apg in 26.7 minutes
    Incoming
    Allen Iverson
    6-0 PG from Georgetown
    33.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 7.4 apg in 43.0 minutes
    Samuel Dalembert
    6-11 C from Seton Hall
    7.3 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 0.4 apg in 26.7 minutes
    Shavlik Randolph
    6-10 PF from Duke
    2.3 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.3 apg in 8.6 minutes

Successful Scenario

I don't see any way a trade with us could work without some real financial wrangling and a third, desperate team as a partner.

That's the best team-to-team trade I could come up with, not that I would do it. No way would I want Iverson here.

Interesting story, but won't affect us one bit.
    That would be a pretty fair trade. We need AI's quickness and shooting...and particularly his ability to hit in the clutch. We need Sam's toughness and interior presence. We already have a good PF in Harrington who does many of the same things as JO. We need Granger to start. We have Quis who can start at SG....and with AI our perimeter game just got a boost. The only concern would be AI's age...but he's only 3 years older than JO, while Sam is 3 years younger. I think we would be a more dangerous team with AI.

Did I just hear AI and clutch in the same sentence without the word, Isn't. Maybe my definition of clutch is warped by having reggie around, but IMO a guy that doesn't hit his first game winning shot till he is 30, Isn't clutch.

You're willing to trade three starters for AI? Not just three starters but our current franchise player and the starting point guard and starting shooting guard.

This looks like a fit for Danny Ainge. I could see the C's dangling a package including a lot of youth (Jefferson or Gomes or Perkins, Delonte West, perhaps Gerald Green) and some salary ballast like Theo Ratliff or Sczerbiak and some mid-level guys like Scalabrine to make the numbers work, and draft picks too.

An AI/ Paul Pierce backcourt would be pretty scary.

Doc Rivers needs to be fired first, though.

I was just thinking something the other day. In the offseason we got more athletic at every position, except for at point guard. I think Iverson is exactly the type of player we need. It would give us a go-to guy in crunch time, a strong defender, a playmaker, and the athleticism we need at that position. I'm not Iversons biggest fan, but having him on this team would certainly help push the tempo we're trying to run. Not to mention it would sell more tickets.

However I agree that the Pacers mention seems to be seperate from the Iverson part. I'm glad TPTB have gone against the patience policy of past years and took notice to the fact that something needs to be done NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    The Pacers, too, are looking to do something big, reveals a league source. Larry Bird is unhappy with his team's chemistry, meaning Stephen Jackson and Jamaal Tinsley aren't fitting into Rick Carlisle's system. Another $4M-to-$5M piece would have to be included.
    Nobody else feels this was an extrapolation on Vescey's part? Bird certainly could be "unhappy with his team's chemistry," but the part about Jack and Tinsley is added by Vescey, not as what Bird could have inferred.

Either way, I find it disconcerting that some of you are just ready to ship out JO and sing the praises of AI. I don't think it would be a good trade.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    Nobody else feels this was an extrapolation on Vescey's part? Bird certainly could be "unhappy with his team's chemistry," but the part about Jack and Tinsley is added by Vescey, not as what Bird could have inferred.

Either way, I find it disconcerting that some of you are just ready to ship out JO and sing the praises of AI. I don't think it would be a good trade.
    I for sure won't trade JO for AI, Jackson + Tinsley on the other hand?
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

I would not want to trade JO for AI.

Anything else, fine.

But Philly wouldn't want anything else. Tinsley? Please. Jackson? Give me a break. they want young talent and draft picks. Granger/Harrison/Marshall would be a start but not nearly enough-- not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    Nobody else feels this was an extrapolation on Vescey's part? Bird certainly could be "unhappy with his team's chemistry," but the part about Jack and Tinsley is added by Vescey, not as what Bird could have implied.
    Fixed. The speaker implies. The listener infers.

I doubt Bird would have revealed this much information to Vecsey or anyone else, so it probably is an extrapolation. But it could be the truth, even if Vecsey inferred it.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Has to be an assumption. Vescey always comes up with wild information, so it's nothing new there.

*edit*

I'd take Iverson for our guys. I'm not much of an Iverson fan, but I think he'd be an improvement. (btw, while we're assuming, I'm assuming Daniels would fit that third person description. The salary's right, and he's been in the "doghouse" already).

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would endorse a Jack, Tins, Feisty for AI trade if Philly would do it. AI has got a ton of heart and is one of my favorite players, but that is not to say he doesn't have his downfalls.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    I would endorse a Jack, Tins, Feisty for AI trade if Philly would do it. AI has got a ton of heart and is one of my favorite players, but that is not to say he doesn't have his downfalls.
    Man people have some wierd opinions. I don't care how hard a guy tries for 48 minutes, if he skips out of practice to go to Taco bell. He does not have tons of heart, he has tons of talent, theres a difference.

_PD_

This is NOT going to happen.
    Criminy, let's see here, we have at least two players on this team who are borderline dissatisfied with their touches, we already have a gangster image we're trying very hard to squelch, and people moan that RC doesn't have control over his team.
    And we're going to add WHO to this mix? We MIGHT temporarily sell a few more tickets, but then AI will pull an AI and the midwestern sense of values will kick in. What a joke.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness View Post
    Man people have some wierd opinions. I don't care how hard a guy tries for 48 minutes, if he skips out of practice to go to Taco bell. He does not have tons of heart, he has tons of talent, theres a difference.
    Oh please anyone who questions Iverson's desire doesn't watch the games. Like I said he has his downfalls, he gets frustrated easily but the man wants to win.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods