Thread: Bob Kravitz is a great asset to the Pacers

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Bob Kravitz is a great asset to the Pacers

After Kravitz' article this week praising the Pacers, several have criticized him as a bandwagon guy or someone who doesn't get it right with his criticism.

I strongly disagree. In fact, I think Kravitz deserves at least SOME credit for the Pacer's turnaround.

Before Kravitz, the Pacers got almost no honest criticism in the Star. Now, they do. Sure, sometimes Kravitz' negative insights will be wrong. But, the larger point, is that SOMETIMES HE ACTUALLY WILL MAKE SOME CRITICAL COMMENTS.

IMO, without Kravitz, the removal of Isiah, the shakup with Bird as BBall Ops guy, and other key changes would have taken much, much longer.

Yes, I can see some of Kravitz' mistakes or failed judgements. But grading on the curve, I think he gets quite a bit right. Sometimes, he nails it exactly on the head.

And here's the most important point: When he finally writes a praising column, it means something. Positive stuff was all the other suckup writers ever wrote.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bob Kravitz is a great asset to the Pacers

IMO, without Kravitz, the removal of Isiah, the shakup with Bird as BBall Ops guy, and other key changes would have taken much, much longer.
    I honestly don't see how he helped out.

Anyway, Kravitz rips people for the sake of ripping people. Then after the dust settles he decides whether to jump on the bandwagon or continue to rip away...

* Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

After Kravitz' article this week praising the Pacers, several have criticized him as a bandwagon guy or someone who doesn't get it right with his criticism.

I strongly disagree. In fact, I think Kravitz deserves at least SOME credit for the Pacer's turnaround.

Before Kravitz, the Pacers got almost no honest criticism in the Star. Now, they do. Sure, sometimes Kravitz' negative insights will be wrong. But, the larger point, is that SOMETIMES HE ACTUALLY WILL MAKE SOME CRITICAL COMMENTS.

Yes, I can see some of Kravitz' mistakes or failed judgements. But grading on the curve, I think he gets quite a bit right. Sometimes, he nails it exactly on the head.

And here's the most important point: When he finally writes a praising column, it means something. Positive stuff was all the other suckup writers ever wrote.

You must be joking. You are absolutely deluded if you think Kravitz in any way impacts Donnie's decision making and had any bearing whatsoever on Donnie bringing Bird on board. This is one of the most ludicrous and misguided remarks I've ever seen here.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Bulletproof, I think your reaction is a bit overdone.

But, yes, I do think his articles made a difference with Donnie and Bird. Exhibit A is the criticism of Bender's play, and, more importantly, strong criticism of the decision to give up AD to draft Bender.

No one had publicly talked about it before Kravitz. And, I believe, these public comments may have caused Donnie to start to question his own decision making and see the need for someone like Bird to make better decisions. (My guess is that Bird was against the AD-Bender deal in the first place. I think I remember reading comments by Bird to that effect at the time.)

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know if it is just because I'm here and on the star's message board but it seems like most of Kravitz's columns are just regurgitated info. Just crap for the masses, or casual fan. It would be nice to have a columnist with a little juice to really give us something versus just selling regurgetated opinions to the masses.

Kravitz=Master of the obvious...
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Bulletproof, I think your reaction is a bit overdone.

But, yes, I do think his articles made a difference with Donnie and Bird. Exhibit A is the criticism of Bender's play, and, more importantly, strong criticism of the decision to give up AD to draft Bender.

No one had publicly talked about it before Kravitz. And, I believe, these public comments may have caused Donnie to start to question his own decision making and see the need for someone like Bird to make better decisions. (My guess is that Bird was against the AD-Bender deal in the first place. I think I remember reading comments by Bird to that effect at the time.)

You think Donnie needed Kravitz to tell him that there were problems with Isiah? You think that thought occurred to Kravitz before it occurred to Walsh?

As for Bird, Donnie brought him on board because he wanted to step back and spend more time with his family. Last spring during the team's collapse, the Simons put a long-term contract in front of DW, but he put off signing it because he wasn't sure he even wanted to return as Pacers GM. In fact, he was contemplating leaving basketball altogether. He sat on that contract until the beginning of summer and had been talking to Larry for quite some time.

In late June, Donnie's granddaughter died suddenly. That reaffirmed his commitment to spend more time with his family. It's no coincidence that Larry was hired two weeks later. It was a win-win situation for both the Simons and Walsh. The Simons got to retain Donnie while Donnie got to hire Bird to help alleviate him of some of the day-to-day responsibilities of managing the team.

Like I said, the idea that Kravitz had any hand in that is absurd. Moreover, when GMs start second-guessing themselves and listen to fans and the media, they're finished.