Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rex Grossman

Default Re: Rex Grossman

I don't see why everyone is so surprised Rex is having thess issues. I think he is a wonderful QB but he needs experience. Despite it being his 4th year, this is basically his rookie season, due to all of his previous injuries. Give him time, if he doesn't get better with experience (by mid next season at least) then bench him. If they go to Griese yes, they will win right now but they will have to find another franchise QB and go through the "experience" again.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see why everyone is so surprised Rex is having thess issues. I think he is a wonderful QB but he needs experience. Despite it being his 4th year, this is basically his rookie season, due to all of his previous injuries. Give him time, if he doesn't get better with experience (by mid next season at least) then bench him. If they go to Griese yes, they will win right now but they will have to find another franchise QB and go through the "experience" again.
    Those are my thoughts. If the Bears don't make noise this year, they will definitely make some next year when Rex has had more experience.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    -snip-You act like the Bears have a choice in what division they play in. What do you want them to do? Lose the games? Make them close? They blow out weaker opponents because they are that much better. I don't see any elite AFC teams blowing the cellar-dwellar teams of the NFC out by 35 points like the Bears were doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    The Bears "D" has done thier job, they've held high-school caliber offenses to a very low number of points.
    Okay, we agree.

I'm talking about 2006 and the present. I don't care what they have done in the past because they were a team completely dependant on defense..and they still almost are. If Grossman can play consistently, I don't see how they aren't the best team in the NFC and a top 3 team overall in the league. They have the best special teams in the league and they have a top 2 defense in the league.
    Top 2? No way. You're saying that's the second best defense in the league after Baltimore's? Wow. No way.

I'm sure you watched the Rams game. They blew out the Rams with great special teams play and an efficient offense..despite missing 4 or so starters on defense. So the Bears are benefitting from playing in a weaker conference..it's not their fault they are in it. Would they be 11-2 in the AFC? Probably not. But they would definitely be 3-4 games above .500. The Bears are capitalizing on a weak schedule...just like Seattle did last year...and just like Seattle is doing this year. I still don't understand how an 11-2 team can be mediocre. It's just not possible. Mediocre teams consistently lose to teams they should beat.
    Not really, but I know what happened. I was at a client dinner in Atlanta. But if I'd been in Chicago that night, I would've been at the UC cheering on the depleted Pacers. Mediocre teams are "average", e.g. 0.500. I've never seen *that* defininton of mediocre. The Steelers are one of only two teams - along with San Diego - in the top-ten in both offense and defense (yards), yet are below 0.500. I'm not sure they're mediocre, either. (Turnover prone? Yes.) If the Bears were in the AFC they'd be in the hunt for a wild card spot. There is not a single AFC division they'd be leading.

Nobody will win this fight until we see what the Bears do in the playoffs. They will murder every team in the NFC if Grossman doesn't loft 60 yard floaters over the middle of the field just waiting to get picked off. Defense and Special teams can win championships right? Grossman just needs to play average the Bears have a pretty easy ride to the SB.
    Right. Although I'm not particuarly impressed with the Bears' defense, and that's been my point all along. Above average defense? Yes. Great? No. I'm telling you now that I'm very, very confident that the Bears will not have much postseason success this year.

Clearly, giving Grossman more time to mature is going to help that team a lot in the future. And Lovie Smith deserves a lot of credit for getting everything out of that roster that he has.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    Okay, we agree.

Top 2? No way. You're saying that's the second best defense in the league after Baltimore's? Wow. No way.

Not really, but I know what happened. I was at a client dinner in Atlanta. But if I'd been in Chicago that night, I would've been at the UC cheering on the depleted Pacers. Mediocre teams are "average", e.g. 0.500. I've never seen *that* defininton of mediocre. The Steelers are one of only two teams - along with San Diego - in the top-ten in both offense and defense (yards), yet are below 0.500. I'm not sure they're mediocre, either. (Turnover prone? Yes.) If the Bears were in the AFC they'd be in the hunt for a wild card spot. There is not a single AFC division they'd be leading.

Right. Although I'm not particuarly impressed with the Bears' defense, and that's been my point all along. Above average defense? Yes. Great? No. I'm telling you now that I'm very, very confident that the Bears will not have much postseason success this year.

Clearly, giving Grossman more time to mature is going to help that team a lot in the future. And Lovie Smith deserves a lot of credit for getting everything out of that roster that he has.
    You're the only person I know that says the Bears don't have a top 3 defense in the league. They are one of the best in the league at stopping opponents in the red-zone by getting turnovers. The reason they blew so many teams out is because that defense completely shut down a ton of teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    You're the only person I know that says the Bears don't have a top 3 defense in the league. They are one of the best in the league at stopping opponents in the red-zone by getting turnovers. The reason they blew so many teams out is because that defense completely shut down a ton of teams.
    I think Baltimore and Jacksonville are at the top.

I think San Diego, New England, Pittsburgh, and perhaps Miami are at the next level. Not sure what to think about Minnesota's defense because, again, I don't think they are as good as the stats indicate.

Top-seven? Yes. Top-three? No. I think they are overrated and have been overachieving.

If Grossman were on any other team, he'd of been benched at least a month ago.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....ears-headlines

S(t)inking teams stay alive in soft NFC
    Subpar conference will have at least one 8-8 team in playoffs
    Don Pierson
    On Pro Football

December 25, 2006

With the New York Giants and Atlanta Falcons continuing the NFC's full-speed retreat to the playoffs Sunday, the Packers will be looking forward to next Sunday's game at Soldier Field against the Bears—at least until Saturday.

As badly as the Giants have played, they remain among five 7-8 teams still in the NFC hunt. And they finish their regular season Saturday night at Washington.

Since no 7-8 team plays another in the regular-season finale, it is still possible, though unlikely, that the NFL will see its first playoff team with a losing record since realigning to eight divisions.

At 7-8, NFC teams like the Packers are beginning to feel very good about themselves. And AFC teams like the hot 8-7 Tennessee Titans with remarkable rookie quarterback Vince Young are beginning to wish they were in the NFC.

Brett Favre likely won't be able to say whether the Bears game will be his last. At least one NFC team with no better than an 8-8 record will make the playoffs whether it wants to or not. If tiebreakers get to strength of schedule, the Giants edge the Packers.

If Favre knows he plans to retire, he isn't saying. Now it's not going to be the only story all week out of Green Bay.

The Packers can thank the New Orleans Saints for beating the Giants and the Carolina Panthers for beating the Falcons to aid their cause.

Those losses for the Giants and Falcons, both at home, put more than their playoff hopes in jeopardy. They also put the futures of coaches Tom Coughlin and Jim Mora in serious doubt. The Giants have lost six of their last seven games, the Falcons six of their last eight.

The Saints' dominating 30-7 win in East Rutherford, N.J., put them one win from clinching an NFC bye. If they beat the Panthers next weekend in New Orleans or if the Dallas Cowboys lose to Philadelphia on Monday or the Lions next Sunday, the Saints will be the No. 2 seed to the Bears.

That means they couldn't meet in the playoffs until the conference championship game, which would be Jan. 21 at Soldier Field.

The Bears will open the playoffs Jan. 13 or 14 against the lowest surviving seed after the wild-card playoffs Jan. 6-7.

The Panthers, losers of four in a row, got off the mat to beat the Falcons 10-3. Michael Vick became the first quarterback to rush for more than 1,000 yards in a season, but so far his career has been distinguished primarily by individual accomplishment.

Although the Eagles still can win the NFC East by beating the Cowboys on Monday and Atlanta next week, they are now the No. 5 seed and can clinch a playoff spot in Dallas.

At 8-7, Seattle clinched the NFC West and is currently the No. 4 seed. If the Seahawks stay that way and prevail over the No. 5 seed on wild-card week, Seattle likely would be the Bears' first playoff opponent.

By beating the Bills 30-29 in Buffalo for their sixth straight victory, the Titans remained the most compelling story in the league and still hoping to become the first team ever to overcome a start of 0-5 and make the playoffs.

Young directed a 10-point rally in the fourth quarter to beat the Bills as coach Dick Jauron passed up a 45-yard field-goal attempt against the wind and J.P. Losman's final pass was intercepted.

Not all was well with the AFC, as the Indianapolis Colts, once the last undefeated team in the league, lost to the lowly Houston Texans for the first time in the Texans' five-year history.

The Colts have lost four of their last six and remain unable to stop the run, a key to championship defense. Journeyman running back Ron Dayne rushed for a career-high 153 yards and two TDs against the Colts' porous defense.

The San Diego Chargers needed to rally to beat Seattle and remain the top seed in the AFC. The New England Patriots clinched the AFC East by beating Jacksonville. The Baltimore Ravens clinched the AFC North by beating the defending Super Bowl champion Steelers.

Based on current conditions in the NFC, the Bears will be favored in every game until the Super Bowl, when they still look like they would be an underdog to most of the AFC contenders.

dpierson@tribune.com

Windy City Flyer City of Big Sholdas's Avatar

We are 13-2 with Rex as our quarterback. Enough said...hate all you want, until we hold the Lombardi trophy.
    |Bears 3-5 - Bulls 0-4|Aren't we just on a roll?

Quote Originally Posted by tdubb03 View Post
    He played very well today and helped the Bears win a playoff game despite the defense not playing all that well. Not bad for a guy "any other team would bench a month ago".

Interesting that when he had time he was able to throw against Seattle. Why Dallas didn't do this last week is beyond me. Romo is about equal to Grossman but has a better group of recievers.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth View Post
    He played very well today and helped the Bears win a playoff game despite the defense not playing all that well. Not bad for a guy "any other team would bench a month ago".
    I love to listen to the Chicago AM stations on the weekend.

There all worried now about the D. Saying Rex played fine today it's the D that we need to worry about, we are not going to win against NO or heaven forbid one of the AFC teams , if our D plays like this ..

The tables have turned , reminds me of another team

Why Not Us ?

Rex threw some real strikes on his downfield passes yesterday in icky weather.

He might have played some bad games this season, but he's not the Bears' weak link.

Against better competition, their defense has been exposed as "average" and has lost its swagger. With the swagger, they were probably "above average."

Still, I really take exception with this group of Bears' claiming they are being called "the worst 13-3 team in the history of football" as motivation.

That title cearly belongs to the 2001 Bears, who went a whopping 1-2 against teams with winning records during the regular season and then got crushed in the playoffs.

This team has at least faced, and occasionally beaten, opponents with winning records, and might just be the best team in the NFC. However, beating Seattle without Alexander in the regular season never qualified as "beating a quality opponent" that it was hyped to be, as reflected in the fact that, with Alexander, the game went overtime and Alexander played very effectively.

And as Ohio State showed last week, there is a reason they play the championship games before annointing a champion. Its still too bad the AFC can't play a "loser's bracket", have that team play the NFC champion, and then the winner of that game gets to play the AFC champion. But I digress. After all those years of NFC dominance, I know this AFC dominance thing will come to an end some day, but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

However, beating Seattle without Alexander in the regular season never qualified as "beating a quality opponent" that it was hyped to be, as reflected in the fact that, with Alexander, the game went overtime and Alexander played very effectively.
    The reason the 2nd game was so much closer is not nearly so simple as saying it was because of the return of Alexander. That definitely helped, but also the Bears defense had both Mike Brown and Tommie Harris healthy for that first game. Once Mike Brown got injured, that is when the Bears defense started to lose the swagger. He was an integral part of the run defense as he supported the run very well from his safety position. And Tommie Harris was a one man nightmare against the Seahawks in that Sunday night game.

I'm sure those things you noted are true and made a difference as well. But for about two months this fall, I had to listen to "we blew out Seattle, and they played in the SB last year" as justification of a win "against a quality opponent."

Of course, a couple of these guys spent most of the fall (prior to the Bears' four-game road trip) trying to convince me that the Vikings were "really a great team."

I'm sure those things you noted are true and made a difference as well. But for about two months this fall, I had to listen to "we blew out Seattle, and they played in the SB last year" as justification of a win "against a quality opponent."

Of course, a couple of these guys spent most of the fall (prior to the Bears' four-game road trip) trying to convince me that the Vikings were "really a great team."
    Oh okay. Well, I didn't see the win against Seattle as THAT big of a deal but at the time, it seemed like a quality win. The Seahawks entered that game 3-0 and playing pretty well. It didn't take long after that win to see that Seattle wasn't the same team as last year.

Both the wins against Seattle and the NY Giants looked like quality wins immediately after those games but quickly lost their luster in subsequent weeks.

The New England game was the one I wanted the most. Maybe the Bears will get a rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth View Post
    Oh okay. Well, I didn't see the win against Seattle as THAT big of a deal but at the time, it seemed like a quality win. The Seahawks entered that game 3-0 and playing pretty well. It didn't take long after that win to see that Seattle wasn't the same team as last year.

Both the wins against Seattle and the NY Giants looked like quality wins immediately after those games but quickly lost their luster in subsequent weeks.

The New England game was the one I wanted the most. Maybe the Bears will get a rematch.
    You would not believe the number of people that have said that to me already...

Of course, they're not referring to it as a rematch of the regular season game. They're referring to it as a rematch of Super Bowl XX.

This would be a fun week to be a Bears fan. But I'm not...

You would not believe the number of people that have said that to me already...

Of course, they're not referring to it as a rematch of the regular season game. They're referring to it as a rematch of Super Bowl XX.

This would be a fun week to be a Bears fan. But I'm not...
    To be honest, I'd rather see a Bears vs Colts Super Bowl.

Rex played well enough to help his team to a Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by tdubb03 View Post
    Good call.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I heard on ESPN that Grossman actually has the same number of over 100.0 QB rating games as Peyton does this season. And he's actually had better numbers in the playoffs too.

Now, there's no way I'm insinuating Grossman is as good as Peyton (that's ridiculous). But Grossman, when he's on, is an above average to good QB in the NFL, which is why Lovie has stuck with him.

But if the bad Grossman shows up, the Bears have no chance, NONE, to win the Super Bowl. He has to keep the turnovers to 0 or 1, and let the Bears defense and running game win it for them.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Did you also hear he had the most games in the NFL with a rating under 20?

When anyone is "on" they should be above average, it's the freaking NFL, and not some pee-wee league that anyone can play in. He's a professional, who was at the top of every level he's played at. No one doubts his ability, or his phyiscal capabilities. It's his decision making that get's him in trouble.

And I still think tdubb was right. If he was on any other team, he would be benched. How many other teams play in such a weak conference, that have a great defense with two above average running backs? He's in a situation that allows him to play bad, and them still win. There aren't many other teams, if any, that allow that much margin for error from their QB position.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

When anyone is "on" they should be above average, it's the freaking NFL, and not some pee-wee league that anyone can play in. He's a professional, who was at the top of every level he's played at. No one doubts his ability, or his phyiscal capabilities. It's his decision making that get's him in trouble.

And I still think tdubb was right. If he was on any other team, he would be benched. How many other teams play in such a weak conference, that have a great defense with two above average running backs? He's in a situation that allows him to play bad, and them still win. There aren't many other teams, if any, that allow that much margin for error from their QB position.
    But he's not on any other team. That's the beauty of it. All the Bears need is a caretaker, and when Grossman plays well, he's that and so much more. When the Bears are hitting on all cylinders, they're the best team in football.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    But he's not on any other team. That's the beauty of it. All the Bears need is a caretaker, and when Grossman plays well, he's that and so much more. When the Bears are hitting on all cylinders, they're the best team in football.
    I think any NFL team that is firing on all cylinders is "the best" team. The Colts absolutely included considering our offense and what our defense has shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

This was the first full season Rex has survived without injury. Naturally there were going to be some growing pains. The promising thing is that every time Rex had one of those awful games, he was able to respond with some solid games. And he played pretty well overall in the playoffs when the pressure was at it's highest. His numbers against New Orleans weren't great but he protected the football and that was all it really took.

The bottom line is that Rex Grossman was able to experience his extreme highs & lows and gain valuable experience without interfering with the Bears Super Bowl run. 13-3 regular season, 2 playoff wins and now here they are in Miami. I'd say it's not a bad situation when you can let the young QB play through the growing pains and still make the Super Bowl.

Now he faces his final exam for the 2006 season. The Bears may or may not win, but I think Rex will play just fine and improve next season based on what he experienced this year.