Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rex Grossman

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Rex Grossman

3 more interceptions today. 34 yards on 6-of-19. The Bears are winning DESPITE him at this point. How much longer until Griese makes an appearance?

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Rex Grossman

Next Week....Griese-Time!

On a more serious note, as long as the Bears D keeps bailing out the O, then Grossman will have a job...

The problem with switching to Griese is that Rex wont get any experience. The Bears defense wont be able to win them every game and thats when they need to rely on their offense making big plays. Griese is adequate..but the best of Grossman far outweighs the best of Griese. The Bears need to stick it out in my opinion.

Bears suck.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bears suck.
    They're 10-2.

We're 10-2.

And they're winning DESPITE their QB, not BECAUSE of him.

If they're gonna give someone else a look it should be Orton. You know what you have with Griese. I'm not sure you do with Orton based on his play as a rookie.

But IMO they shouldn't do that until they've clinched. Grossman isn't playing too well but they keep winning. He's the QB for the season. But if they rest him the last game or two IMO it should be Orton coming in.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Grossman will keep his job, until mid-season next year

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    They're 10-2.

We're 10-2.

Hmmm... I just pictured you as a Bears fan.

"Watching this quarterback play makes me physically ill. I'm sick of this."

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    If they're gonna give someone else a look it should be Orton. You know what you have with Griese. I'm not sure you do with Orton based on his play as a rookie.

But IMO they shouldn't do that until they've clinched. Grossman isn't playing too well but they keep winning. He's the QB for the season. But if they rest him the last game or two IMO it should be Orton coming in.
    Orton is awful period.

At least with Grossman, CBs and Safeties can't stack the box because of the big play threat that he has with those WRs. Grossman isn't nearly as bad as everyone makes him out to be...He is horribly inconsistent. This is his first full season as an NFL player and he's basically a rookie QB..he never really had a veteran to mentor him prior to last season when they added Griese. You simply can't make the switch now. You have to stick with Grossman unless he stinks it up against the Rams, TB, and finally, the Lions in the next 3 weeks. He needs to get some confidence before the Bears head into the playoffs.

It's pretty much sink or swim with Rex. He has had A LOT of bad games now but he has some very good games too. His upside is better than Griese or Orton. Then again you could say his downside might be more with his gambling style.

I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope for the best. Rex still has 4 games left to get back into a positive rhythm heading into the postseason.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rex had good games earlier in the season before defenses figured him out. I have a lot of seperate bets with a lot of my Bears fans friends on whether or not the Bears will win a playoff game. I think they will lose to Dallas or Seattle if they have to play either of those teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Rex had good games earlier in the season before defenses figured him out. I have a lot of seperate bets with a lot of my Bears fans friends on whether or not the Bears will win a playoff game. I think they will lose to Dallas or Seattle if they have to play either of those teams.
    Seattle?

Not a chance.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I think the Bears will win ONE playoff game.

They've benefitted tremendously from playing against the rest of the NFC North, and they've generally struggled against the rest of the league.

They wouldn't make the playoffs in the AFC.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    I think the Bears will win ONE playoff game.

They've benefitted tremendously from playing against the rest of the NFC North, and they've generally struggled against the rest of the league.

They wouldn't make the playoffs in the AFC.
    Steelers wouldn't make the playoffs in the NFC this year.

Cute. But I don't know about that. We beat New Orleans, whom I've seen ranked as the "#3" team in the NFC recently. If that's the third best NFC team (and I admit I try to watch the NFC as little as possible), that's just a terrible conference. We went into overtime against Atlanta, the team on the bubble in the NFC, in a game where we had five turnovers and our QB got a concussion.

Let's check in again after the Carolina game - the NFC is so bad overall that its so-called contenders struggle against middle-of-the-pack AFC teams.

But it goes to show that when you lead the league in give-aways, it doesn't matter how many other things you do right. You can be a good football team with an average record in the AFC. Look at Jacksonville, Denver, and Cincy. They're all 7-5 but better than any single team in the NFC.

And in the NFC, you can be a really average football team with a pretty record. Like Dallas. Like the Giants. Like the Saints. Yes, like the Bears.

Again this year, every single AFC playoff team would be the favorite in the SuperBowl against the #1 NFC team. Now, the Bears are so popular that Vegas might have to make them the favorite if they were to meet an AFC wild-card team to keep the odds even. They're not - of course - expressing an opinion as to which team is better, they're just looking for the point that the betting is 50%-50%.

The non-gambling observers would understand that the AFC wildcard teams would be the "better" team in that scenario.

I fail to see how Dallas is an average team. They've been nothing short of fantastic ever since Romo took over. Sure, defenses will figure him out sooner or later, but Romo and the emergence of Marion Barber in goal-line situations make that team extremely good. I don't really care about the bears, but to say they wouldn't make the playoffs in the AFC is just plain stupid. They have arguably the best defense in the league. With the exception of their weak QB play, the team has no weakness. And the QB problems are more the offensive coordinators fault then anything else. Telling Rex to throw 60 yard floaters all game isn't going to win you games. I think once the Bears go to a more conservative, west-coast type offense, they will be a tough team to play in the playoffs. Not to mention, Rex is a different QB at home..and the Bears should enjoy home field advantage most of the playoffs. The last game against the Vikings is the first time all year hes struggled at home. Wouldn't be surprised to see him maul the Rams this weekend.

Yeah - hard to argue that Dallas is a mediocre team. Hard to argue that with Seattle either, especially after considering they spent 5 weeks without their starting QB or last year's MVP.

Chicago's another story. They're not exactly mediocre but they have a huge, exploitable hole - unless they get homefield and the weather is lousy.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

We could arrange for 11 guys from PD to hold the NFC North and the rest of the Bears' schedule to less than 12 points per game. The Bears "D" has done thier job, they've held high-school caliber offenses to a very low number of points. I'm not convinced the Bears defense is all that good, though, against NFL caliber offenses.

I haven't really seen Dallas since the game Romo replaced Bledsoe. If there is a team I've refused to watch in principle since the 1970s, its the Cowboys. Maybe, however, the Cowboys would make the AFC playoffs. Parcells *is* an excellent coach and he seems to have them coming together.

But to say the Bears would make the playoffs if they played in the AFC is not really helped by the Bears head-to-head against the AFC over the past few years. In AFC North, they'd trail Baltimore and Cincy, and if Pittsburgh didn't lead the league in giveaways this year (fascinating that the Steelers lead the league in both giveaways AND number of plays from scrimmage with gains greater than 10 yards : ) the Bears would be battling Cleveland to stay out of the AFC North cellar. You may think its a stupid comment, but its really not. The Bears are NOT better than any of Jacksonville, Cincy, and Denver, and two of those teams will probably miss the playoffs in the AFC. The Bears are not really any better than Pittsburgh, either. And when the Bears turn the ball over the way the Steelers have turned the ball over this year, they lose to (or barely beat) bad teams. Of course, you can say that about any Super Bowl contending team, if they suddenly find themselves leading the leauge in giveaways they'll find themselves missing the playoffs.

The Bears have lots of weaknesses that will get exposed when they play "better" teams. And I'm not sure Grossman/ QB is really one of them, he's just in a slump but he's a fine QB. But they have an inflated record and the hype that comes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    They're 10-2.

We're 10-2.

And we are winning despite our defense.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

We could arrange for 11 guys from PD to hold the NFC North and the rest of the Bears' schedule to less than 12 points per game. The Bears "D" has done thier job, they've held high-school caliber offenses to a very low number of points. I'm not convinced the Bears defense is all that good, though, against NFL caliber offenses.

I haven't really seen Dallas since the game Romo replaced Bledsoe. If there is a team I've refused to watch in principle since the 1970s, its the Cowboys. Maybe, however, the Cowboys would make the AFC playoffs. Parcells *is* an excellent coach and he seems to have them coming together.

But to say the Bears would make the playoffs if they played in the AFC is not really helped by the Bears head-to-head against the AFC over the past few years. In AFC North, they'd trail Baltimore and Cincy, and if Pittsburgh didn't lead the league in giveaways this year (fascinating that the Steelers lead the league in both giveaways AND number of plays from scrimmage with gains greater than 10 yards : ) the Bears would be battling Cleveland to stay out of the AFC North cellar. You may think its a stupid comment, but its really not. The Bears are NOT better than any of Jacksonville, Cincy, and Denver, and two of those teams will probably miss the playoffs in the AFC. The Bears are not really any better than Pittsburgh, either. And when the Bears turn the ball over the way the Steelers have turned the ball over this year, they lose to (or barely beat) bad teams. Of course, you can say that about any Super Bowl contending team, if they suddenly find themselves leading the leauge in giveaways they'll find themselves missing the playoffs.

The Bears have lots of weaknesses that will get exposed when they play "better" teams. And I'm not sure Grossman/ QB is really one of them, he's just in a slump but he's a fine QB. But they have an inflated record and the hype that comes with it.
    I don't even know what to say to convince you, but there is a reason they made the playoffs 2 years straight. The NFC is a weaker conference, but they are not as weak as you make them out to be. The Bears are evenly matched with the high calibre teams of the AFC in my opinion..so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. We'll see how the Bears do when the playoffs come around.

On a side note, I am not a Bears fan...so that's not why I am defending them. It just pains me to see such injustice said about such a great team. They have a top 2 defense and special teams in the league, and until recently, a top offense..which is more then enough to win you alot of football games.

Much of what you state there is a bit laughable but I'll play nice and just say you are entitled to your opinions.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

bitter much?
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth View Post
    Much of what you state there is a bit laughable but I'll play nice and just say you are entitled to your opinions.
    Well, he is entitled to his opinions..however wrong and misguided they may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    hahahahahahahahahahahaha

bitter much?
    No. I like wearing my Jerome Bettis jersey around town, then asking people wearing Urlacher jerseys if I can pick them up and carry them six yards into the end zone like Jerome did.

As bad as this season has gone in terms of moving the ball (leading the league in plays from scrimmage > 10 yards) then turning it over (leading the league in turnovers and red zone turnovers), at least I can remember fondly the final year of the Jerome Bettis era.

Smooth,

What's laughable? The Bears look much better agains the Detroits, GBs, Minnesotas, Buffalos, etc. of the world than the rest of the league.

Moses,

The Bears have been far from "evenly matched with the high calibre teams of the AFC" in recent seasons. Look, you're guilty here of what you often accuse me of, the Bears were reasonably competitive against the team you follow closest. But you should've heard the talk radio here the morning after that game - the fans realized the rest of the NFL is playing at a different level than the NFC North and even the normally very-confident Bears fans aren't sure their team will do much in the playoffs.

2006:
    Buffalo W 40-7. Buffalo is clearly not a high caliber AFC team.
    Miami L 13-31. Neither is Miami.
    @ NY Jets W 10-0. Nobody knows what to think about the Jets, they weren't supposed to be as good as their record.
    @ New England L 13-17. One contending team this season, 0-1, close game.

2005:
    Cincinnati L 7-24. Cincy won AFC North and made the playoffs. Blowout loss at home.
    @ Cleveland L 10-20. Cleveland hasn't beaten very many teams in recent years.
    Baltimore W 10-6. Baltimore struggled year last year.
    @ Pittsburgh L 9-21. First of the eight-game winning streak leading to a Super Bowl championship, so no shame in getting blown out.

2004:
    The Bears went 5-11, so these are not really meaningful anyway...
    @ Tennessee, OT win
    Indianapolis, L, blow out
    @ Jacksonville, L, blow out
    Houston, L, was that score really 5-24? five points?

You guys may not like what I've got to say, but I'm right. I'm certainly not wrong nor misguided just because I can see that the Bears are an average team.

Call me delusional if you want, but the NFC North is a lot like the NBA's Atlantic Division right now. If the Bears really had to play every NFL team once, instead of feasting on awful teams in their division, they'd be leading that division with a below 0.500 record.

They're hardly "great."

Let's try something different though. Make a counter argument instead of poking fun at me/ my opinions. Tell me why the Bears, which are 4-8 against the AFC in recent years and either 0-4 or 1-4, depending on whether or not the Jets make the playoffs, against AFC playoff teams in recent seasons, would make the playoffs in the AFC.

They're not better than Indy, New England, the Ravens, or the Chargers. They're not better than most of the teams in wild card contention.

Lastly, Moses, there is a reason the Bears have made the playoffs two years straight. I've already covered it but I'll say it again:

The combined record of the other three teams in their division is 31-56. I started the year saying that four of the six worst teams in the NFL were in the NFC North. Since then I've raised the Bears to the middle of the pack, where they belong. I'll give credit where credit is due.

Regardless, three of the six worst teams in the NFL (along with Arizona, Oakland, and Buffalo, although the Jets were supposed to be on this list too but they've at least gone 3-1 against the hapless NFC North) reside in that division.

If you guys can't see that the Bears have inflated thier reputation against the dregs of the league, then go ahead and follow the pack. Buy into the hype around the Bears. But don't act surprised when they make another early playoff exit, because I'm telling you why to expect one. Or, as I said above, make a counter-argument.

No. I like wearing my Jerome Bettis jersey around town, then asking people wearing Urlacher jerseys if I can pick them up and carry them six yards into the end zone like Jerome did.

As bad as this season has gone in terms of moving the ball (leading the league in plays from scrimmage > 10 yards) then turning it over (leading the league in turnovers and red zone turnovers), at least I can remember fondly the final year of the Jerome Bettis era.

Smooth,

What's laughable? The Bears look much better agains the Detroits, GBs, Minnesotas, Buffalos, etc. of the world than the rest of the league.

Moses,

The Bears have been far from "evenly matched with the high calibre teams of the AFC" in recent seasons. Look, you're guilty here of what you often accuse me of, the Bears were reasonably competitive against the team you follow closest. But you should've heard the talk radio here the morning after that game - the fans realized the rest of the NFL is playing at a different level than the NFC North and even the normally very-confident Bears fans aren't sure their team will do much in the playoffs.

2006:
    Buffalo W 40-7. Buffalo is clearly not a high caliber AFC team.
    Miami L 13-31. Neither is Miami.
    @ NY Jets W 10-0. Nobody knows what to think about the Jets, they weren't supposed to be as good as their record.
    @ New England L 13-17. One contending team this season, 0-1, close game.

2005:
    Cincinnati L 7-24. Cincy won AFC North and made the playoffs. Blowout loss at home.
    @ Cleveland L 10-20. Cleveland hasn't beaten very many teams in recent years.
    Baltimore W 10-6. Baltimore struggled year last year.
    @ Pittsburgh L 9-21. First of the eight-game winning streak leading to a Super Bowl championship, so no shame in getting blown out.

2004:
    The Bears went 5-11, so these are not really meaningful anyway...
    @ Tennessee, OT win
    Indianapolis, L, blow out
    @ Jacksonville, L, blow out
    Houston, L, was that score really 5-24? five points?

You guys may not like what I've got to say, but I'm right. I'm certainly not wrong nor misguided just because I can see that the Bears are an average team.

Call me delusional if you want, but the NFC North is a lot like the NBA's Atlantic Division right now. If the Bears really had to play every NFL team once, instead of feasting on awful teams in their division, they'd be leading that division with a below 0.500 record.

They're hardly "great."

Let's try something different though. Make a counter argument instead of poking fun at me/ my opinions. Tell me why the Bears, which are 4-8 against the AFC in recent years and either 0-4 or 1-4, depending on whether or not the Jets make the playoffs, against AFC playoff teams in recent seasons, would make the playoffs in the AFC.

They're not better than Indy, New England, the Ravens, or the Chargers. They're not better than most of the teams in wild card contention.

Lastly, Moses, there is a reason the Bears have made the playoffs two years straight. I've already covered it but I'll say it again:

The combined record of the other three teams in their division is 31-56. I started the year saying that four of the six worst teams in the NFL were in the NFC North. Since then I've raised the Bears to the middle of the pack, where they belong. I'll give credit where credit is due.

Regardless, three of the six worst teams in the NFL (along with Arizona, Oakland, and Buffalo, although the Jets were supposed to be on this list too but they've at least gone 3-1 against the hapless NFC North) reside in that division.

If you guys can't see that the Bears have inflated thier reputation against the dregs of the league, then go ahead and follow the pack. Buy into the hype around the Bears. But don't act surprised when they make another early playoff exit, because I'm telling you why to expect one. Or, as I said above, make a counter-argument.
    Ok, Miami, Buffalo and the Jets are all decent teams. Miami's defense has re-emerged..Buffalo has been playing alot of very good teams close this year..and the Jets defense is really under-rated.

You act like the Bears have a choice in what division they play in. What do you want them to do? Lose the games? Make them close? They blow out weaker opponents because they are that much better. I don't see any elite AFC teams blowing the cellar-dwellar teams of the NFC out by 35 points like the Bears were doing.

I'm talking about 2006 and the present. I don't care what they have done in the past because they were a team completely dependant on defense..and they still almost are. If Grossman can play consistently, I don't see how they aren't the best team in the NFC and a top 3 team overall in the league. They have the best special teams in the league and they have a top 2 defense in the league.

I'm sure you watched the Rams game. They blew out the Rams with great special teams play and an efficient offense..despite missing 4 or so starters on defense. So the Bears are benefitting from playing in a weaker conference..it's not their fault they are in it. Would they be 11-2 in the AFC? Probably not. But they would definitely be 3-4 games above .500. The Bears are capitalizing on a weak schedule...just like Seattle did last year...and just like Seattle is doing this year. I still don't understand how an 11-2 team can be mediocre. It's just not possible. Mediocre teams consistently lose to teams they should beat.

Nobody will win this fight until we see what the Bears do in the playoffs. They will murder every team in the NFC if Grossman doesn't loft 60 yard floaters over the middle of the field just waiting to get picked off. Defense and Special teams can win championships right? Grossman just needs to play average the Bears have a pretty easy ride to the SB.