Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 Reasons Why Colts Won't Reach Superbowl

Default 10 Reasons Why Colts Won't Reach Superbowl

10) Vinatieri not kicking like the NE version.

9) As usual, Colts peaked too early.

8) Injuries/Missing Players

7) Colts may not have home field throughout and even if they hang on, we know it is meaningless with this bunch.

6) Dungy can't win the big one.

7) Dungy too often outcoached. (When the Titans threatened punting at the end, no way should we have burned a time out.)

5) Peyton can't win the big one.

4) The Colts are still a soft team.

3) **** poor D.

2) **** poor D.

1) **** poor D.

Not only can't we stop the run, what happened to the vaunted attack D and pass rush when we're ahead or in long yardage situations?

This D is absolutely impotent. It has regressed severely perhaps to the level of Dungy's first year. Mathis is a linebacker, Brock is not an interior lineman, June and Gardner are DBs, and Jason David flat out stinks.

Our only chance for post season succes would mean putting up 35 a game, but our O will be sitting on the sideline while the LT type backs are gashing us all game long.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 10 Reasons Why Colts Won't Reach Superbowl

**** poor D.
    That's the only reason, really. If our defense was simply "bad" it would probably be enough to overcome. But this...this is one of the worst defenses I've EVER seen. On ANY team.

i'll remember this thread when the colt's win the superbowl.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by lumber man View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I'm as optimistic as anyone, but even I don't expect PD to be around in 2080.

Lumber Man,

Are you talking about this year's superbowl? I just don't think it's gonna happen. Still, I will gladlly take my lumps if you do get the chance to remind me come February.

ahh, i wouldn't throw it back in your face. i get pretty sore myself after a loss. but, i don't feel like it's just the "colts fan" in me when i say that a team with manning, harrison, wayne, freeney, stokely etc. can make it to the superbowl even with this defense.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We will win the Super Bowl.

Oh, boo hoo... my team just lost its tenth game in twelve tries... we suck... woe is me...

Grow a pair, guys. Jeesh, just one loss on a SIXTY YARD field goal! This thread and the gamethread have been pretty pathetic.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Oh, boo hoo... my team just lost its tenth game in twelve tries... we suck... woe is me...

Grow a pair, guys. Jeesh, just one loss on a SIXTY YARD field goal! This thread and the gamethread have been pretty pathetic.
    Let's see... late in the season... HCA and the Division on the line... And for the second time in 3 weeks someone was able to exploit one of the worst run defenses the NFL has ever seen and beat the Colts. It's not like there's much time to 'fix' this, let alone... what can you do at this point?

And Bob Sanders was back today so the old storyline of him totally changing the defense was just blown out of the water. He makes a difference... but he's not the difference maker. The defense still sucks. Big time.

The winning record is nice. Being competitive is nice. But most fans have their eyes and hopes set on loftier goals at this point.

It only takes one loss in the playoffs and you are done. It's not like this was a fluke loss. Tenn did what they needed to do to beat the Colts and it worked. Do you think we'll face anyone in the playoffs even better suited to do what they did?

So yeah... it's time to temper those Super Bowl dreams yet again. Is it still possible to win it? Yes... But... The recipe for beating the Colts is out there, and hoping for perfection from the offense is basically the only way it happens. I'm not sure any offense can live up to that. And the Colts haven't done it yet.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not to mention that the Colts have been way to close to a L for about 6 or 7 games now.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Don't under-rate the Titans.

As much as I hate them..they've been a good team the past 5 games. They lost to the Colts and Ravens by 1..and have won every other game.

Quote Originally Posted by lumber man View Post
    lol hahahahaha, why wait to the superbowl when they will be back on the 'bandwagon' within 2 weeks writing they are so appreciative of the Colts and Manning blah blah blah lol....

I love this forum; one week there is someone posting we should lose because it will be "good" for the team, When the Colts do lose then we are "done" Now HOLY **** we are 10-2 and we have the worst defense EVER on any team (apparently they person hasn't seen the Packers D this year lol). We do have a bad defense especially for what we shell out for our Offensive. YES we need a new defense I say trade Wayne for a badass CB and a MLB. OR do what denver does let Addai gain about 125 yards a game and score 2 TDs a game then trade him for an awesome defender and Draft another decent RB. Because with this O-Line that is all we need a "decent" running back.

Anyway, I'm with the Colts as ALWAYS, thick and thin even if they do lose 2 games in a season (*******s). The NFL is so close in talent in every single team, I don't know why any of you would count us out. I'LL, SEE U GUYS first week of February giving the whole "i always knew we'd win it."

PEACE!

Mood

They will NEVER go anywhere in the playoffs with that run D.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto View Post
    They will NEVER go anywhere in the playoffs with that run D.

lol, this pretty much guarantees we'll win in the playoffs with that run D. You were dead-wrong in all your other predictions of us losing because of our run defense...

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Let's see... late in the season... HCA and the Division on the line... And for the second time in 3 weeks someone was able to exploit one of the worst run defenses the NFL has ever seen and beat the Colts. It's not like there's much time to 'fix' this, let alone... what can you do at this point?

And Bob Sanders was back today so the old storyline of him totally changing the defense was just blown out of the water. He makes a difference... but he's not the difference maker. The defense still sucks. Big time.

The winning record is nice. Being competitive is nice. But most fans have their eyes and hopes set on loftier goals at this point.

It only takes one loss in the playoffs and you are done. It's not like this was a fluke loss. Tenn did what they needed to do to beat the Colts and it worked. Do you think we'll face anyone in the playoffs even better suited to do what they did?

So yeah... it's time to temper those Super Bowl dreams yet again. Is it still possible to win it? Yes... But... The recipe for beating the Colts is out there, and hoping for perfection from the offense is basically the only way it happens. I'm not sure any offense can live up to that. And the Colts haven't done it yet.

-Bball

10-2.

Lighten up.

The Titans are 5-2 in their last 7. It was a 60 yard field goal. On the other hand, it was the Titans.

OK then, "Just chill out" crowd, name me one team that has won a superbowl in the last 15 years with such a disparity in the same direction as us-putrid defense and high powered offense.

I can't think of one. Sure it works once in a while the other way around. Thus the "Defense wins championships" addage. And please don't say the Greatest Show on Turf b/c their D, while not great, was light years better than ours. They had to prove that beating Tampa in the NFC Championship and the Titans in the Superbowl that year.

Let me point out just one stat. In two games this year we've given up nearly 500 (around 465) yards on the ground to Travis Henry and Len Dale White. Young was an even bigger factor the second time around running the ball, which concerns me given that I'd expect we'd be more prepared since we hadn't seen him at the helm going into the first game.

Here's a thought. Knowing Young is dangerous breaking the pocket, how about just one time making an adjustment in defensive approach and not have our ends blindly charge up the field but rather try to better keep contain and force him to stay in the pocket. We'd have been better off facing him in the passing game then letting him gash us. Besides, our vaunted DEs haven't been able to consistent pressure all year anyway.

To me it all just adds up to the fact that everybody has the blueprint to abuse what's proven to be no more than a smoke and mirrors job all season on D.

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    OK then, "Just chill out" crowd, name me one team that has won a superbowl in the last 15 years with such a disparity in the same direction as us-putrid defense and high powered offense.
    One of Denver's Elway teams was like that - not gonna check stats to see how exact the numbers were or which team had worse run D. The NFL isn't the NBA - bad defense doesn't guarantee playoff elimination, just makes it highly likely. But you CAN win it all just by outscoring the other guy, mainly because of officiating.

It's possible for the Colts to win but two things have to happen:

1) Home field in the playoffs so weather can't take the high-octane offense away. The only exception is playing in SD and the only reason that's an exception is Rivers is awful young - put a lot of pressure on him and you may have some TO's. Otherwise, LT will probably go for 200.

2) Someone else eliminates Baltimore. That's far and away the most complete team in the entire league.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The recipe for beating the Colts is out there, and hoping for perfection from the offense is basically the only way it happens. I'm not sure any offense can live up to that. And the Colts haven't done it yet.

-Bball
    Oh come on. The recipe for beating every team is out there.

I'm not happy we lost to Tennesee, but you guys really need to calm down. We are a very, very good team, and we have as good a chance to win the Super Bowl as anyone.

-Bball
    And doesn't it seem the Colts are looking like they don't care since they got beat by the Cowboys and just waiting for the post season?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    and we have as good a chance to win the Super Bowl as anyone.
    No we don't...

We have a chance to win it but we shouldn't be favored. Our defense will make any and every playoff game an adventure. Either you know something about this defense getting better... soon... or we're looking at a tough road to the SB.

I understand the idea that this defense is made to play with the team in the lead. But it is sooooo bad at run stopping that it plays right into the hands of teams who know what to do, and how to do it, to beat the Colts. You don't chase points. You don't get tricky. You play as solid as you can and play ball control. That keeps it close and then you have a chance in the end PLUS with the game close you hope Peyton loses patience and forces something or you get a turnover another way.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

No we don't...

We have a chance to win it but we shouldn't be favored. Our defense will make any and every playoff game an adventure. Either you know something about this defense getting better... soon... or we're looking at a tough road to the SB.

I understand the idea that this defense is made to play with the team in the lead. But it is sooooo bad at run stopping that it plays right into the hands of teams who know what to do, and how to do it, to beat the Colts. You don't chase points. You don't get tricky. You play as solid as you can and play ball control. That keeps it close and then you have a chance in the end PLUS with the game close you hope Peyton loses patience and forces something or you get a turnover another way.

-Bball

Shouldn't be favored?? Who would you put over the Colts? Let me guess, you are on the Cowboys bandwagon, right?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    lol, this pretty much guarantees we'll win in the playoffs with that run D. You were dead-wrong in all your other predictions of us losing because of our run defense...
    no actually I havent. I said any team that can run the ball well will beat you guys, and so far I've been right.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    Shouldn't be favored?? Who would you put over the Colts? Let me guess, you are on the Cowboys bandwagon, right?
    I know you weren't asking me but I say it's;

(AFC Title chances)

Ravens
    Chargers
    Patriots
    Colts
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31 View Post
    If I remember correctly Bball doesn't have a lot of confidence in the Cowboys. However I believe the man does believe the Colts will struggle with quality teams out of the AFC such as San Diego, New England, and Baltimore.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    If I remember correctly Bball doesn't have a lot of confidence in the Cowboys. However I believe the man does believe the Colts will struggle with quality teams out of the AFC such as San Diego, New England, and Baltimore.
    I think you can get NE and with SD I call it a tossup - next to LT you have a young QB. If you pressure him he might make mistakes.

Baltimore's the one team I look at and think is just plain better than the Colts - best team in the NFL. Nothing you can point to as a weakness with that club.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire