Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more fast breaks...ever....really. I'm begging.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default No more fast breaks...ever....really. I'm begging.

Okay, has it begun to sink in that this team can not run a good break with any level of quality, at least on a consistant basis? They were this way the last 2 years and it's not changed.

They have been blowing all sorts of mismatch breakaways. 2 on 1s that end up as misses, charges, balls off of fingertips....

I realize that Jack was apparently hurt on that last play for him when he just ended up with nowhere to go and gave up on it (or couldn't move because of the knee perhaps), but honestly that was par for course with this team and fast breaks.

I get it, they can't do it. Stop trying and focus on doing what you can do well. I've been all for early offense, getting down into the half court quickly. But please just stop pretending that somehow there is going to be this great long outlet pass that leads to some touch passes between 2 guys till one flies in for the dunk ala Worthy or Jordan.

It ain't happening - ever. It's okay, it's not the Pacers' thing. I'm not mad that they can't do it. I'm mad that they can't do it but keep trying to force it to happen.

Okay, sometimes they do get them. I just don't consider 15% or whatever their conversion rate on fast break attempts is to be a quality scoring rate, especially when it seems like those 85% end up coming back the other way for easy scores by the opponent.

Kestas

Default Re: No more fast breaks...ever....really. I'm begging.

Aren't fastbreaks an integral parto fo the success in the modern basketball? I doubt any team can be really good without playing fastbreaks when they present themselves. and if, for some freakish reason, a team can not convert fastbreaks, then it hardly deserves to be called a proffesional basketball unit. and I somewhat doubt Pacers are such a team imho there are no easier ways to score points than on a fastbreak.

Seth, you are raving.

You only have to go back one game to Seattle, where the Pacers had an advantage on fast break points.

The Pacers must get better at fast breaking and fast ball movement. However long it takes, and whoever it takes to get the job done, player-wise and coach-wise.

It ain't happening now, but nothing good is going to happen for this team until they learn.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

On the telecast last night Chris mentioned a stat that has me very concerned. I think he said the Pacers are dead last in giving up points in transition or maybe the exact stat is points on a fastbreak. (meaning the Pacers give up the most points in this category) But if that is the case, then we have to do whatever it takes to correct that. If that means we abandon offensive rebounds, if that means we go back to a walk it up style - I don't care, but being last in the league in this stat - is a losing situation.

If you want to stop giving up fast breaks, get MORE offensive rebounds, not less.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On the telecast last night Chris mentioned a stat that has me very concerned. I think he said the Pacers are dead last in giving up points in transition or maybe the exact stat is points on a fastbreak. (meaning the Pacers give up the most points in this category) But if that is the case, then we have to do whatever it takes to correct that. If that means we abandon offensive rebounds, if that means we go back to a walk it up style - I don't care, but being last in the league in this stat - is a losing situation.
    If this is the case, then the irony is just too thick. Try to implement a more up-tempo offensive attack only to become a sieve defending in transition.

The bottom line is that we have not been a particularly good defensive team period outside of JO's shotblocking and some occasional flahses of good individual defense. It would seem we have enough pieces to put a halfway decent defensive team on the floor with most combinations we could play.

While I agree that our attempt at a faster pace on O is not playing out all too well, we also commit a lot of TOs in our halfcourt, too. Just seems like tons of bad decisions, lapses in concentration, and just general carlessness. What was the differential in the Denver game? Weren't we like -16 with 26 TOs or something? And Tins only had 2 I think as the primary ball handler and Jackson had only 2.

We're almost a quarter in, how are you guys feeling about our "new" direction and the team's development? How long is long enough as far as time to gel? Half a season? Will the D improve and the turnovers at least be reduced to a reasonable amount?

In general I will say I am content with the energy on the floor and the apparent cameraderie amongst the players. Beyond that, it still looks like a .500ish team to me, which is approximately what I was expecting. However that does indicate to me that, barring a major upswing in the W column over the next 20-25 games, TPTB should be seriously contemplating an aggressive plan for further change of team composition.

The problem is, we are attempting to play a style of game that the western conference plays better. ...at least some of the teams. Just wait until we play Dallas or Phoenix.

Banned

Pacers are 28th in FG%. Ouch. That has to change.

Until the Pacers get rid of Carlisle, Tinsley, Jackson, Al (& maybe Daniels & Harrison) - they will be a horrible team to watch.

The sheer talent of these guys may win some games up to ~.500, but it will be painful and frustrating for the fans, and they will ALWAYS crumble when it will matter, like in playoff time.

This team needs a new look, a new image, a new style, and a little... not much... a little will be enough... brains. The sad truth is that dumb & selfish players will get you nowhere. That translates to:

Trade Jax, Tins, Al - for whatever you can get (jury's still out on Daniels, Harrison)
    Dump Rick - and put Bird, or a guy with "character" at the helm.

Free us from these unwatchable excuses of basketball players and give us a basketball TEAM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    The problem is, we are attempting to play a style of game that the western conference plays better. ...at least some of the teams. Just wait until we play Dallas or Phoenix.
    The go-to guys are not fast break players while the subs may be but are not talented enough. So far I haven't seen anything special from Marshall or Powell that makes me think they will be on the team next year and Baston has no potential what so ever given a dunk now and then.
    Forget the fast break and go for the rebound. The other teams get really easy uncontested rebounds because no one is covering.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    If you want to stop giving up fast breaks, get MORE offensive rebounds, not less.
    The Pacers are the 8th best offensive rebounding team in the NBA right now. The Pacers are going to the offensive boards more often and I see less of an emphasis on getting back on defense.

Hicks, certainly the more offensive rebounds a team gets the fewer fastbreaks a team will give up. Wait that is not necessarily true or necessarily false. If a team would decide to send all 5 guys to the offensive board - they would really get a ton of offensive rebounds- but give up a ton of fastbreak layups - uncontested. But of course no team does that, some teams send two guys some teams send 1, some teams might send 2 plus one depending on where they are on the floor.

So Hicks I don't agree with your statement (it isn't that easy), but the bigger question is how a team goes about getting the offensive boards. If the Pacers are running the fastbreak well and running their halfcourt offense well, with good floor balance and the Pacers are taking good shots, then yes they can get some offensive rebs and still have a chance to get back on defense.

So I will grant you that the number of offensive rebs won't or shouldn't reflect on how many fastbreak points are given up - you can do both or you can do neither.

The Pacers are the 8th best offensive rebounding team in the NBA right now. The Pacers are going to the offensive boards more often and I see less of an emphasis on getting back on defense.

Hicks, certainly the more offensive rebounds a team gets the fewer fastbreaks a team will give up. Wait that is not necessarily true or necessarily false. If a team would decide to send all 5 guys to the offensive board - they would really get a ton of offensive rebounds- but give up a ton of fastbreak layups - uncontested. But of course no team does that, some teams send two guys some teams send 1, some teams might send 2 plus one depending on where they are on the floor.

So Hicks I don't agree with your statement (it isn't that easy), but the bigger question is how a team goes about getting the offensive boards. If the Pacers are running the fastbreak well and running their halfcourt offense well, with good floor balance and the Pacers are taking good shots, then yes they can get some offensive rebs and still have a chance to get back on defense.

So I will grant you that the number of offensive rebs won't or shouldn't reflect on how many fastbreak points are given up - you can do both or you can do neither.
    A great deal depends upon whether the opposing team is a fast break team or not. I am surprised that the Pacers are 8th in offensive rebounds but against a fast break team they should be going for the offensive rebound to prevent the fast break.

I have often seen no Pacer going for the rebound period to prevent the fast break. The statistic I would be interested in is whether other teams are getting more rebounds against the Pacers than they normally do.

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    but against a fast break team they should be going for the offensive rebound to prevent the fast break.
    That just isn't a sound strategy and it won't work as you intend it to. But I need to ask what you mean. Do you mean you want the Pacers to commit more guys to go to the offensive boards - I know that won't work, but if you are talking about an overall strategy of good shot selection, floor balance, and sending 1 or 2 guys to the offensive board really hard - then it can be a successful strategy overall.

That just isn't a sound strategy and it won't work as you intend it to. But I need to ask what you mean. Do you mean you want the Pacers to commit more guys to go to the offensive boards - I know that won't work, but if you are talking about an overall strategy of good shot selection, floor balance, and sending 1 or 2 guys to the offensive board really hard - then it can be a successful strategy overall.
    There are times I see a shot put up and no one is going for the offensive rebound. That is not balance but poor strategy. Again the stat I would like to see is whether some teams rebound better against the pacers than they normally do.
    JO and Tinsley are just not fast break kind of guys. JO is too big and Tinsley just doesn't have that kind of stamina IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4
    The statistic I would be interested in is whether other teams are getting more rebounds against the Pacers than they normally do.
    In the agregate, the Pacers are getting 42.5 rebounds per game, and allowing opponents 43.2.

Teams that got more rebounds v. the Pacers than their season average, and how the Pacers fared:

Boston +11 (L)
    Porland +10 (W)
    Chicago +10 (L)
    New Orleans +9 (L)
    Milwaukee +6 (W)
    Golden State +5 (W)
    Charlotte +5 (W)

Teams that got fewer rebounds against the Pacers than their average:

New York -3 (W)
    Denver -4 (L)
    Orlando -8 (W)
    Philadelphia -8 (W)

The other teams were within 1-2 of their average against the Pacers.

The Pacers have been blown out three times this season.

Against Washington, turnovers and poor shooting killed the Pacers. They got 10 more rebounds that the Wizards. Against Boston, the Pacers shot lousy, and didn't give themselves enough opportunities for second chance points because of poor rebounding (53-33). Against Denver, the Pacers shot almost the same FG%, and outrebounded the opponent 54-41. The story against Denver was turnovers, free throws and Denver scoring 11 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    In the agregate, the Pacers are getting 42.5 rebounds per game, and allowing opponents 43.2.

Teams that got more rebounds v. the Pacers than their season average, and how the Pacers fared:

Boston +11 (L)
    Porland +10 (W)
    Chicago +10 (L)
    New Orleans +9 (L)
    Milwaukee +6 (W)
    Golden State +5 (W)
    Charlotte +5 (W)

Teams that got fewer rebounds against the Pacers than their average:

New York -3 (W)
    Denver -4 (L)
    Orlando -8 (W)
    Philadelphia -8 (W)

The other teams were within 1-2 of their average against the Pacers.

The Pacers have been blown out three times this season.

Against Washington, turnovers and poor shooting killed the Pacers. They got 10 more rebounds that the Wizards. Against Boston, the Pacers shot lousy, and didn't give themselves enough opportunities for second chance points because of poor rebounding (53-33). Against Denver, the Pacers shot almost the same FG%, and outrebounded the opponent 54-41. The story against Denver was turnovers, free throws and Denver scoring 11 3s.
    Thank you. That is excellent research and although the Pacers won a number of these games letting teams get 10-11 rebounds more than they average is a problem. Most of these are not the elite teams the Pacers will be facing in the playoffs.

JO is a half court player as opposed to front court players like Marion, Amare and Dirk. I don't think that is a bad thing either. Overall I think our personel stands out being bigger and stronger at the perimeter. We aren't fast or particularly good shooters.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    Seth, you are raving.

You only have to go back one game to Seattle, where the Pacers had an advantage on fast break points.

The Pacers must get better at fast breaking and fast ball movement. However long it takes, and whoever it takes to get the job done, player-wise and coach-wise.

It ain't happening now, but nothing good is going to happen for this team until they learn.
    There are fast break points where a guy is ahead of the pack because of a steal or a bad pass.

I'm talking about a long rebound and you have SOME defense back. The Pacers blow those chances more than any team I can recall. I'm talking about situations that should be dunks or at the very least a foul on the miss, and the Pacers come away with a shot that doesn't even hit the rim.

Sometimes they do get scores out of them but even those are awkward and perhaps a bit lucky. For example, just a couple of games ago they had a break that ended with the ball bouncing between a bunch of hands, was almost stolen, almost went out of bounds, and then ended up with Tinsley who did a 2 foot baby hook thing.

Sorry, but a 3 on 2 RUNNING break is not supposed to end that way ever. That's wrong. You don't win games by patting yourself on the back when you do it wrong and catch a good bounce.

I hate to have to pull video on this to make the case, but I suppose I will have to I guess. I can't believe people watch these games (forget the box score "TO points" or "break points" because those don't show execution or how many were defended) and don't see these endless string of blown fast breaks.

IMO you should NEVER come away from a full speed 2 on 1 without points. The Pacers may have done this every single game this year at least once. I'm not positive, but it's been extremely common. In several games it's happened more than once.

On top of all this, it's a problem that I was complaining about 2 seasons ago. It's not a new issue. Last year they had the same thing happening over and over, and I recall a few posters at least agreeing that the Pacers had no FINISHER for these breaks...and that's what I'm getting at. Bad spacing, few real finishers, lots of ball fumbling, late/bad passes, empty trips with a man or 2 advantage and the defense running backward.

And how about a follower to DUNK those misses. How many times have you seen those chances go empty this year. It JUST HAPPENED last night vs DEN. All the defenders are moving to the baseline due to the speed of the play, leaving things wide open for a trailer to come behind and dunk it...but no one was there.

It's been 3 years. It is not happening. They have made ZERO progress this season. I didn't post this 3 weeks ago. Now enough is enough.

Running means you are going to give stuff up the other way. Okay...as long as you can convert your transitions. The Pacers are terrible at it. Defended breakaways are a DISASTER. Not problematic, not a little off right now. They are losing situations for the team and really hurting them.

I'm not saying walk it up. I'm saying that I'd rather see them set up a HC set in order to avoid giving up something running back the other way if they are going to score defended breaks no better than a regular HC set, and that's the reality of it for them.

1st quarter, 9:50 left

Tinsley tips an entry pass meant for Melo at the rim (oop chance). At this point the Pacers have 4 PLAYERS ahead to the Nuggets 2 (to start the break). The Nuggets react better and turn it into a 4 on 4 race with Tinsley leading the dribble after Foster collected the pass Tins tipped and fed it back to him.

You have Jack wide left. Foster and JO are side by side in the middle lane trailing Tins (bad spacing).

Miller runs ahead and turns Tins at the arc, Tins feeds Jack on the wing and he is able to get past Naj. easily since he had to run and quickly turn to defend (and is slower anyway).

JO and Foster are slowing down and are right next to Tins. This allows Camby and Smith to catch up and space for a possible rebound. Still Jackson has an open layup ahead of all 4 DEN players (Melo was left behind because he was at the baseline when the break started).

Jack misses the layup. Foster is able to sneak between Smith and Miller to challenge Camby for the rebound. The ball hits the rim and comes to Foster, but instead of a dunk putback (which you know Camby would have done) he tips it off the back of the rim and Denver gets an uncontested rebound. Jeff gets an "offensive rebound" which does NOTHING for the Pacers (a prime example of why I ranted about Jeff in the post-game thread, it happened nearly all night with him).

This is a good, but not worst case by any stretch, example of what my complaint is. If you watch games and don't see this stuff then I don't know what to tell you. It happens all the time and it's a real problem. Better to just set up JO in the block if you can't make 2 layups on a break with the defense scrambling.

EDIT - the PxP doesn't show Jeff with an O-REB on this play, I had assumed it was in the count. I'm going through the PxP to see if it matches the box totals, because sometimes they don't. Its still bad for Jeff to miss this, but I wouldn't want to misrepresent it in his stats. Trying to be fair.

Oh yeah, that Seattle game where they had an "advantage"...no problem.

1st quarter, 9:58 to go

JO gets a defensive board and with the play being at the rim you have 3 Seattle players on the baseline "below" JO and Jeff (if up is the Pacers offensive end, which is how I look at break spacings).

Tins is out ahead with Luke. Tins is a half step ahead of Luke at HC and Luke is a few feet to the side while Tins is dead-center on the court, ie he is in "front" of everyone else at this point. JO hits him with a good outlet to get this situation.

Wilcox starts this play right next to Jeff, above him by 1 step. The Pacers are starting ahead of each of their guys on a man to man basis. Just every Pacer running if his SEA counterpart runs gives the Pacers numbers at the other rim, expect Jeff being even with Wilcox.

On the dribble Tinsley has to slow down, Luke cuts him off but is still backpeddling and Tins goes behind the back so he can pass Luke on the right for a layup chance.

Tins pulls up which leaves Luke falling out of the play into the baseline. Open baby jump/layup for Tins...but here comes Wilcox now a full 4-5 steps ahead of Foster. Wilcox BLOCKS the shot, it goes into the rim/backboard and into Luke's hands, Foster is never involved in the play.

Sonics get the ball and you see Collison coming into the play. Not JO, not Al.

And STILL the Sonics are able to break on this. Luke naturally gets ahead of Tins because Tinsley was headed upcourt when his shot was blocked while Luke had already started going the other way when he caught the rebound.

Still Wilcox and Collison are behind the play leaving JO, Al and Jack to defend. Jack cuts off Luke, then follows the pass over to Ray (Jack helped on Tins' man, then went back to his man).

Ray shows an up-fake and drives by Jack as he tries to close out (which is what happens when you are forced to close out on shooters that can drive). JO comes to help on Ray, fine, so Ray dishes it to...

Wilcox, who is now 4-5 steps ahead of Foster coming back the other way. Wilcox goes for the dunk and is fouled by Tinsley (misses dunk as ball comes out). He makes both FTs. 0 points for Indy on the break, 2 given up.

Again, I like Foster and I like him starting. I didn't pick either of these because of him. I literally FFWD into both games till the first Pacers break. Both were misses, both happened to involved Jeff. But they also featured Tins and Jack not getting scores or fouls on their shots, as well as no JO or Al for whatever reasons.

The point isn't to trash Jeff here, or Tins and Jack. The point is to make clear examples of what I mean when I say "no more fast breaks because you aren't any good at them". They aren't.

If it's Melo instead of Jack it's a dunk, not a layup miss. If it's Camby it's a dunk follow-up, not a weak one handed tip miss. If it's Luke instead of Tinsley it's a foul or a dish to Foster who could have easily dunked behind the aggressive Wilcox going for the block.

But it's not those players in the BnG. The guys this team has just don't do this sort of thing well, they don't score well in transition traffic.

I attended the Golden State game last Wednesday in person (didn't post a game report, since by the time I got back home from Oakland it was pretty late and everyone else had summed up most of my thoughts on the game).

Everyone in the group I attended with noticed the fast break problem. As others have mentioned, there was a clear lack of spacing and no real finisher on what seemed like practically every fast break.

You'd see three Pacers all ahead of defenders, but they'd be crowding the same side of the floor, trying to figure out on the fly who was the decoy and who was the finisher.

Or you'd have a guard (such as Tinsley) who'd run the break so fast that no other players could catch up (or maybe the other players were just too slow to run), and then the player with the ball would either have to stop and wait for teammates to catch up (allowing the defense to get set) or would go ahead and take a pull-up jumper or contested layup against the one or two defenders who'd gotten back - and miss the shot, with the Warriors getting the rebound.

I swear this happened over and over again throughout the game, to the point where we were groaning halfway through every Pacers fast break. Without looking at the stats, I'm guessing we ran 7 or 8 fast breaks on turnovers and converted maybe one or two the whole night.

It's almost as if the players haven't PRACTICED the fast break enough or else don't have any sort of fast break "plays" set up. Guys are trying to pass/run up the court but they don't know where they're supposed to be or who is doing what until it's too late and the defense has set.

I feel like the solution is better coaching and more practice of this situation. The other elements are already there - we're often able to cause turnovers and get the ball up the floor very quickly. That's 2/3 of the battle right there. The missing piece is executing the break properly so an open guy has the ball in scoring position at the right time (i.e. with defenders out of the way).

At the moment, things look very out-of-sync. Hopefully it's because most of these players still have only played 15 or 20 games together...

Just like to point out that NBA teams don't actually, um, practice. Not really anyway, not like a college team might.

They have to figure these things out as they go. I'm really down on this year's team, but this is one aspect I do think we'll get better at. We have guys who can pass, guys who can finish, just gotta get comfortable and put it all together.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Okay, has it begun to sink in that this team can not run a good break with any level of quality, at least on a consistant basis? They were this way the last 2 years and it's not changed.

They have been blowing all sorts of mismatch breakaways. 2 on 1s that end up as misses, charges, balls off of fingertips....

I realize that Jack was apparently hurt on that last play for him when he just ended up with nowhere to go and gave up on it (or couldn't move because of the knee perhaps), but honestly that was par for course with this team and fast breaks.

I get it, they can't do it. Stop trying and focus on doing what you can do well. I've been all for early offense, getting down into the half court quickly. But please just stop pretending that somehow there is going to be this great long outlet pass that leads to some touch passes between 2 guys till one flies in for the dunk ala Worthy or Jordan.

It ain't happening - ever. It's okay, it's not the Pacers' thing. I'm not mad that they can't do it. I'm mad that they can't do it but keep trying to force it to happen.

Okay, sometimes they do get them. I just don't consider 15% or whatever their conversion rate on fast break attempts is to be a quality scoring rate, especially when it seems like those 85% end up coming back the other way for easy scores by the opponent.
    I thought that you were the one leading the charge for a more atheltic team so that they could play an uptempo game.

Bulldog, like I said, it's been a problem before this year. There was hope that the new guys might fix that, but only Rawle and Baston look like guys that do this part of the game well...and James White who is gone and wouldn't have been on the court anyway.

JO, Tins, Jack, Foster have never been great with the spacing. Foster can run the floor and throw it down, though he's looking a little slower this year. Daniels is not any more of a flier than Jack is. Al isn't either.

Granger hasn't really shown great knowledge for these situations either, and as I pointed out elsewhere discussing his desire to shoot outside he often runs to the arc on breaks ala Reggie Miller. I'd rather see him trying to be more like Pippen on breaks.

I just don't see it getting better because if it was then I would have seen it last year. It's been bugging me for a couple of seasons and I used to post about it in Star game threads every other week it seemed. It's been so ugly this year I just blew a gasket about it. I can't stands no more...

BTW, if you saw the LAL game tonight it featured a lot more of these duds. They had far better finishes at the rim from HC plays than anything they got out of breaks.

Seth, thanks for the detailed descriptions you posted in #19 and #20 above. Your photos and play analysis is always apprecfiated., and you make the argument strongly that the Pacers are poor at pushing the ball upcourt.

I just want to ask, why do you recommend giving up rather than redoubling the effort to develop this side of the game. I recognize that the latter course could mean personnel changes and probably won't be achieved this season. But isn't speed an essential part of the game?