Thread: D. Armstrong's Rotator Cuff Injury

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default D. Armstrong's Rotator Cuff Injury

I noticed this little tidbit at the end of ESPN's the Weekend Dime:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...dime-061202-03

A similar situation, albeit with a different appendage, is playing out in Indiana. Point guard Darrell Armstrong, a new spark for the Pacers at 38, needs rotator-cuff surgery, but the severity (and recovery time) attached to a shoulder operation would likely end his career. So Armstrong plays on, grinding through the pain and hoping to complete at least one more full season before moving into coaching.

Now maybe I missed this information earlier on because it sounds like this has been a chronic, on-going issue. It doesn't make me hopefull that DA can help us with the shooting over the course of a long season.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Default Re: D. Armstrong's Rotator Cuff Injury

I know it's a completely different injury, but did anyone else just have flashes of Timmy Hardaway down the stretch?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I wonder if its already catching up to him. He's been having rougher games lately it seems. Most of that I've just attributed to matchups, but tonight vs Earl, a guy smaller than even him, he had just as much trouble.

Seems like I saw him pass up an open jumper too, but I'm not sure. An aching shoulder might keep a guy from hoisting one up.

Of course we sort of knew that this was the situation with DA coming in. The burst to start the year was the surprise, not the expected. It sucks though because he's a lot of fun to watch and root for.

I always wondered how everyone was 100% sure that Armstrong would retire this year, now I understand. I was hoping maybe he could go for two more years.

damn, I really hope he ends up a part of our coaching squad.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

That's pretty crazy.

What makes a guy who has millions of dollars, plenty of wins and accomplishments under his belt, and another job lined up keep slugging it out?

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What makes a guy who has millions of dollars, plenty of wins and accomplishments under his belt, and another job lined up keep slugging it out?
    Probably a few more million dollars...
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

That's pretty crazy.

Or possibly pride or integrity. Not all pro athletes are only in it for the money.....
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

That's pretty crazy.

Heart , in this case. And the clearly evident enjoyment the guy gets out of being a part of a team in a way that a coach never can be.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

I've got a partially torn rotator cuff and it sure as heck affected my shooting. For about a year. Hurt like hell a lot of the time.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan View Post
    I've got a partially torn rotator cuff and it sure as heck affected my shooting. For about a year. Hurt like hell a lot of the time.
    Twice in 10 years I have had Physical Therapy for RC injuries (same arm). I cannot imagine playing with the kind of pain I had...no amount of money coulda got me to lift that arm. THERE is your TRUE Warrior.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Geezer, could you elaborate on the kinds of situations that would cause your shoulder to have pain? I've long suspected I have rotator cuff problems in both of my shoulders due to shoulder impingement but don't really have the means to have it looked at any time soon. All I know is if I play ball more than about 4 hours, both of my shoulders will hurt like a mother for about a week afterward. Alot of times, I can't raise my arms above shoulder level because it physically feels like someone has an icepick jammed deep in the socket. They feel fine otherwise... I've gotten quite good at bowling Does this sound anything like what you've experienced?

-D23

Quote Originally Posted by D23 View Post
    Geezer, could you elaborate on the kinds of situations that would cause your shoulder to have pain? I've long suspected I have rotator cuff problems in both of my shoulders due to shoulder impingement but don't really have the means to have it looked at any time soon. All I know is if I play ball more than about 4 hours, both of my shoulders will hurt like a mother for about a week afterward. Alot of times, I can't raise my arms above shoulder level because it physically feels like someone has an icepick jammed deep in the socket. They feel fine otherwise... I've gotten quite good at bowling Does this sound anything like what you've experienced?

-D23
    The 'can't raise arm above shoulder level' is the standard complaint. If it's torn completely you can barely move it away from your side at all.
    Even after mine was pretty much out of mind, sometimes cranking a window down in my truck would have almost bring tears to my eyes again. Just the perfect angle and movement to just bug the heck out of that shoulder.
    Did lifting (when I was able) to strengthen the supporting muscles to take load off the joint and that helped tremendously with mine. FWIW