Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonics postgame thread

Default Sonics postgame thread

This will be very short.

Pacers lost for the following reasons

1) Too many turnovers especially in the 1st half
    2) Too many missed free throws
    3) Poor defensive rebounding in the 4th quarter. hello Al and Granger where were you in this area.
    4) Al didn't get a shot in the last 5 minutes of the game.
    5) Terrible Pacers defense until the 4th quarter

The Sonics were very beatable tonight and the Pacers blew it.

On Luke's last shot, Granger did all he could, but Tinsley should have played position defense instead of just a little metador defense, I guess going for a steal. Tinsley was there but he didn't play fundamental defense.

Tomorrow night will be extremely tough. It is what I call a schedule loss. Four games in 5 nights all on the road. 5 games in 7 nights all on the road. These road trips take a heavy toll on a team, and the last few games of a long trip are almost impossible to win. Then you throw in the altitude and the Nuggets style of play. Could easily be a blowout. Lakers will be tough too.

But overall I'm more confident in the Pacers team than I was before this trip and that is regardless of what happens in the next two which were always going to be the toughest games on the rip

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Sonics postgame thread

We pissed that game away. Straight down the drain.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We pissed that game away. Straight down the drain.
    Nothing more needs to be said, other than that.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Seeing the Pacers forget how to break a press was probably the most frustrating part for me. Even more frustrating was the fact that the Sonics went to the press every time they made a free throw. And yet the Pacers kept turning it over like they didn't expect it.

But yeah, it's already been said. Turnovers and bad defense cost us the game.

And even though he's been playing well, Tinsley's matador defense is not helping.

Banned

I hate to beat a dead horse, but Stephen Jackson has no business taking shots over Al Harrington, especially in the final minutes of the game.

AL is hitting 49% from the floor and a downright sick 59% from downtown.

JACK? 37% and 25%. Ouch.

Jackson is by far the most selfish player on the Pacers roster and thats one of the main reasons I want to see him off the team.

Big Baby Al: 24/41 from downtown
    Wacko Jacko: 18/72 from downtown

Which is the SHOOTING guard and which is the forward again?

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

The last second of that game isn't what beat us. we had to have had at least 20 turnovers in that game INEXCUSABLE. I don't understand some of those passes tinsley made were just flat out awful and I mean AWFUL. Jack did a good job on Allen. Granger there was one instance he had a clean lane right to the basket but for whatever reason he pulls back and shoots a jumper which rims out. I was watching in a restaraunt and had no audio where the hell was JO for like 90% of the game? I mean I'm not talking that he didn't show up...he was just...not out there for whatever reason? Is he injured again? That last play though Jermaine was nowhere to be found usually he stands in on those plays and tries to at least stop crap like that. I hope we beat the nuggets but they usually kill us so...i'll keep my fingers crossed.

If I could make a comparison to the rebounding tonight, the game was up in the air, but the Sonics came up with it, over and over and over.

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Tomorrow night will be extremely tough. It is what I call a schedule loss. Four games in 5 nights all on the road. 5 games in 7 nights all on the road. These road trips take a heavy toll on a team, and the last few games of a long trip are almost impossible to win. Then you throw in the altitude and the Nuggets style of play. Could easily be a blowout. Lakers will be tought too.
    This is what makes tonight's outcome so difficult. We had Win #3 there for the taking and now we could easily go 2-4 on the trip. Recently, Denver has had there way with us, so I'm hoping we can at least beat the Lakers and come out 10-9 through the tough 19 game opening.

Very tough loss, but at least we're starting to see different guys hit big shots this year.

On that last play there was a switch and Granger was on Luke, but if you watch the replay Tinsley comes over and is in great position to seal off the lane which would have forced Luke to shoot it right over Granger flat footed or he would have had to pass the ball and I don't think there was enough time to pass the ball. But I don't blame Tinsley for the loss - the loss was a team effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    I hate to beat a dead horse, but Stephen Jackson has no business taking shots over Al Harrington, especially in the final minutes of the game.

JACK? 37% and 25%. Ouch.

Jackson is by far the most selfish player on the Pacers roster and thats one of the main reasons I want to see him off the team.
    I agree it was extremely poor shot selection particularly the second time around. Beyond that tho we lost this game when we weren't up by 10+ at half tme like we would have been had we done one of either play good D or protect the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post

JACK? 37% and 25%. Ouch.

Big Baby Al: 24/41 from downtown
    Wacko Jacko: 18/72 from downtown

Which is the SHOOTING guard and which is the forward again?

I'm not going to argue with you, however Jackson's defense on Ray Allen was outstanding, and his defense kept the pacers in the game. Also there were times when I thought Jackson was the only Pacer player playing really hard in the first half. So as always it is a mixed bad with Jax

On that last play there was a switch and Granger was on Luke, but if you watch the replay Tinsley comes over and is in great position to seal off the lane which would have forced Luke to shoot it right over Granger flat footed or he would have had to pass the ball and I don't think there was enough time to pass the ball. But I don't blame Tinsley for the loss - the loss was a team effort.
    Agreed on this point as well, but as has been mentioned before a win in this game would have been us just being the purely better team. Tonight we played junky in just about every aspect except one (shooting percentage) and it bit us in the rear.

I think this team has a big winning streak in them at some point.

I refuse to believe that we are no more than a .500 team.

10-9. That's what I wanted at the beginning of the year. Get through those first 19 and then take off.

I am somewhat shocked, even by PD standards, at the posts blaming Jack for this loss. If we hadn't taken the ball out his hands for essentially the whole game except for the 1st quarter (he had 7 shots TOTAL before he shot those last two), then maybe he'd be in a rhythm. But you don't just give the ball to a streaky shooter and expect him to make it if you have Jamaal Tinsley shooting the damn ball like a maniac and not giving your SG any ample opportunities for basically the whole game.

That being said, we just didn't play well enough to win. We shot well, but everyone does against Seattle... everything else was subpar.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    I am somewhat shocked, even by PD standards, at the posts blaming Jack for this loss. If we hadn't taken the ball out his hands for essentially the whole game except for the 1st quarter (he had 7 shots TOTAL before he shot those last two), then maybe he'd be in a rhythm. But you don't just give the ball to a streaky shooter and expect him to make it if you have Jamaal Tinsley shooting the damn ball like a maniac and not giving your SG any ample opportunities for basically the whole game.

That being said, we just didn't play well enough to win. We shot well, but everyone does against Seattle... everything else was subpar.
    You would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Aw Heck View Post
    And even though he's been playing well, Tinsley's matador defense is not helping.
    I hope you don't mean this game. 4/14 FG is bad bad bad
    Yours truly,
    Israfan, former Lithfan

Quote Originally Posted by bnd45 View Post
    This is what makes tonight's outcome so difficult. We had Win #3 there for the taking and now we could easily go 2-4 on the trip. Recently, Denver has had there way with us, so I'm hoping we can at least beat the Lakers and come out 10-9 through the tough 19 game opening.

Very tough loss, but at least we're starting to see different guys hit big shots this year.
    I concur. Not to mention if memory serves correctly we have never been all too successful against the Lakers in their building(s). So the last two games look ominous. If we just do just one of the things UB identifies in the initial post here better throughout the game, we win at Seattle.

I hope your'e right about the win streak, too. Originally, I thought 10-10 would be acceptable through 20 given the new guys and the early schedule. For me, any notable improvement would come sometime after that if it does.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    But you don't just give the ball to a streaky shooter and expect him to make it if you have Jamaal Tinsley shooting the damn ball like a maniac and not giving your SG any ample opportunities for basically the whole game.
    I don't think they gave him the ball expecting him to even take it, let alone make it. Jack had other ideas to be the 'hero'.

The king of that mentality tonight was Tinsley; God he had a lot of horrible shots.

We had no business winning that GS game, sorry. We should have won this one. It's ok. You win some, you lose some. They're still meshing (though that excuse has about one more month before it gets old).

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What confused me in last night's game was the amount of playing time of Tinsley vs. Sarunas. I know the defense is bad with Runi, but Tins isn't that much better, let's be honest. And, there will be someone point out that Runi got caught in a 8-second violation. But Tinsley couldn't make a shot and was turning the ball over like crazy, while Runi really had his offense going in his short time. In a game that turned into a shootout, we really could have used Runi's offense, not Tinsley's turnovers.

Jack took a couple bad shots, but his defense was outstanding on RayRay last night.

JO went out with a hammy tweak, I'm not sure if anyone answered that for the poster who questioned where he was. He played well when he was in, I thought--making the tying basket with 6 seconds left.

Another great game from Al, though we could have used some rebounding.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

HoldenCaulfield

Hey, I didn't get the chance to see the game last night, so I was hoping you guys could answer some of my questions. First off: Why didn't Sarunas get more PT? According to the box score he was 3-4 for 7 pts, 3 assists, yet only got 16 minutes of floor time. Was it a prime example of Carlisle having more patience with other players than Cabbage's shortcomings, or was there a legitimate reason for his being "benched?"

Secondly: I really wish people would get off Jack's back. Once again, I didn't get to see the game in question last night, but the guy takes so much flack from people on here, you'd think he was responsible for everything bad in the world. With the possible exception of Danny Granger, he is the best perimeter defender, and to date this season his shot selection has been much better than last year. Also, everyone needs to remember he's got one thing very few (if any?) of the other Pacers can boast of, and that's a Championship ring on his finger. A championship that he had no small part in at that. I really think if we want to win these tight games, he has to be in at the end.

That's about all I can conjure up from watching the highlights. I wish J'O wouldn't settle for that 16-foot fadeaway in the final seconds, but when it drops there's really nothing to say. The D' was solid on that final shot by Ridenour. Complements to Danny G. It sucks to see that shot go in. Great looking shot though, from an objective stand-point. Go Pacers.

Tinsley only played 28 minutes - whoch isn't a lot for him. As to why Saras didn't play more - he had a lot of trouble with the Sonics pressure in the first half, so you had to take him out and put Tinsley back in. In the second half Saras was playing pretty well and it looked to me like maybe Rick wouldn't bring Tinsley back in but he did with about 6 minutes left.

One other point, to start the 4th quarter the Pacers started with DA and Saras in the game and Saras was on Ray Allen and Ray hit two shots, so Rick had to get Jackson back in there. Jackson played great defense on Ray - I cannot stress that enough. Granger defended Lewis very well also.

Couple more thoughts here. Despite the frustrating loss, as in most of our losses this year, it was not heavily due to a lack of effort. A good sign. We generally played hard, with the exception of the slow first quarter start. The execution was not good in many areas of course.

I was happy to see Baston get some time although sorry it had to come due to JO's absence for much of the 1st half and Foster's foul trouble. While I wouldn't say he really distinguished himself, he didn't hurt us either. He scrapped, ran the floor, and had a good block. I think he could do a decent job off the bench in a consistent 10-12 minutes. Well, I at least wouldn't mind seeing him get the chance to prove it.

Baston in some ways reminds me of Foster a little bit (granted I still haven't seen anough of him to really understand his game yet) but he seems to have a nose for the ball and has a good understanding of how to play defense.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

it is a mixed bad with Jax
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown