Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blazers post game thread - Thankfully Tinsley sat the 4th quarter

Default Blazers post game thread - Thankfully Tinsley sat the 4th quarter

I need to make this quick as it is getting late.

I assume it was as obvious to everyone watching as it was to me. The game turned in the Pacers favor because Saras and Armstrong played the whole fourth quarter. And please understand, it isn't that DA and Saras are that good - because they clearly aren't. But they play 100% unselfish ball on both ends, they move the ball, DA battles on defense, the Pacers overall ball movement and offensive efficiency is just so much better when they are in the game - or let me be more direct - it is better when Jax and Tinsley are on the bench

After a nice road win I don't want to dwell on the negative, but I have to say something about Tinsley's 3rd quarter performance. But as I don't want to ripped for being overly dramatic, let me just say his performance was embarrassingly bad. I have to assume he was who Rick was yelling at during that 20 second timeout.

Tonight I realized how starved I am for a new backcourt.

Default Re: Blazers post game thread - see what a different backcourt can do

Pacers biggest weakness at the moment is opponents guards getting penetration. This game would have been a blowout if Jack and Dixon hadn't gotten into the lane so easily.

Very good games all around from our team with the exception of Tinsley who had an off night. It was a team win tonight...alot of players came up big on certain posessions.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Anybody regret drafting Granger instead of Jerod Jack?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope. But I was very impressed with Jack.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Pacers biggest weakness at the moment is opponents guards getting penetration. This game would have been a blowout if Jack and Dixon hadn't gotten into the lane so easily.

Very good games all around from our team with the exception of Tinsley who had an off night. It was a team win tonight...alot of players came up big on certain posessions.

That is why the Pacers lead the league in block shots and JO is second

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Jack is good, but no. Granger is the superior talent.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Default Re: Blazers post game thread - Thankfully Tinsley sat the 4th quarter

I wanted the Pacers to go after Jack hard this past summer. I posted a few threads in Blazers forums asking what it would take to get him, and I was quickly told that Jack is their future point guard. But the Pacers horrible point guard defense made him look good tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    That is why the Pacers lead the league in block shots and JO is second
    Carlisle took a page from his Detroit playbook.

Worked for him then, don't see why it wouldn't now.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

As an avid Georgia Tech fan, I would have liked to go after Jack..but I think the reason we didn't get him is because he didn't seem like a fit in Carlisle's system. Jack has always been an out of control type of player who can only really excel in up-tempo offenses. He was a hell of a defender in college..but he's lost some of his defensive demeanor since he got into the NBA.

I need to make this quick as it is getting late.

I assume it was as obvious to everyone watching as it was to me. The game turned in the Pacers favor because Saras and Armstrong played the whole fourth quarter. And please understand, it isn't that DA and Saras are that good - because they clearly aren't. But they play 100% unselfish ball on both ends, they move the ball, DA battles on defense, the Pacers overall ball movement and offensive efficiency is just so much better when they are in the game - or let me be more direct - it is better when Jax and Tinsley are on the bench

After a nice road win I don't want to dwell on the negative, but I have to say something about Tinsley's 3rd quarter performance. But as I don't want to ripped for being overly dramatic, let me just say his performance was embarrassingly bad. I have to assume he was who Rick was yelling at during that 20 second timeout.

Tonight I realized how starved I am for a new backcourt.
    I'm glad I saw this post because I was going to lose my mind if the only thing people were going to talk about was the play of O'Neal. He had a good game but he was hardly the only reason the team won.

I don't think you gave Jeff Foster enough or any credit for that game. IMO, the key to this game was Fosters defense of Randolph.

That may have been the single greatest defensive game I've ever seen Jeff play.

He went toe to toe with Zach, who is like a bull, & didn't give a inch. That is the defense I want to see every game from him. He wasn't finesse at all, this was actually a power defense that I am not used to seeing him play.

Also I know if you didn't watch the game and only look at the box score you will think that Baston stunk & even if you did watch you might have shaken your head at a couple of plays. But overall I thought he came in & did a very good job considering he only played 13 min. prior to tonight, all at garbage time. He was physical & man does the guy cover a lot of ground in a hurry.

This is nothing like the Baston I remember from the Raptors.

Like you I was really disappointed in Jamaals second half but I really didn't have a problem with Jackson. Although like you I much prefer the ball movement when the other two are in there. In fact I much prefer that to about anybody being in there. I think over the past 6 years that is the one thing I am sick to death of on this team is players pounding the air out of the ball.

I was happy with the offensive plays called by Carlisle in the second half.

I also was very pleased with Granger. Al had an ok night.

Good win by the team but let's not go to far with this. The same problems are still there.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I don't think you gave Jeff Foster enough or any credit for that game.
    Hell has frozen over.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Any comments on Granger and his apparently successful move to the bench? I couldn't watch the game but his stat line looks pretty good.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post

Disagree with Buck saying this is the sole reason JO is a top tier blocker this year. He's erasing mistakes by EVERYONE.

Granger at this point is mentally way behind the league. He's still at the thinking stage of the game and prone to make silly mistakes.

One of those was saved by a JO block when Danny went up court with his head down not really watching his man. Blazers recognized and passed up ahead of him leaving an apparently wide open layup/dunk from 20 feet out even. By the time he got there though JO was in position to erase it, and put it in Pacers control no less.

JO also blocked a couple of post-up moves tonight by their frontline.

Also, while the PnR defense was a problem and I have been the first to get on Tins and Saras for their problems, it wasn't just them. GRANGER again made another awful play when the Blazers screened for the screener, leaving JO blocked off the play by Danny's man and JO's man moving up the lane to set the high PnR. Danny just kept gaurding his man rather than properly switching, and say what you will about a PG, a decent pick with no help should free anyone for dribble penetration.

I actually thought both Tinsley and Sarunas looked acceptable on defense, which means they will suffer but as long as they scramble to stay in it and play strong offense then who cares. The Blazers worked the PnR all game long and that's not just the guards responsibility at that point. They could have tightened up their choices, like Tins going over top once when his man was showing drive the entire time (should have gone under with no shot threat being shown), but at least he was hustling through to make the play.

I like the tighter rotation. Basically a hard 8 - Sarunas, Granger and Daniels off the bench, bits of Armstrong. Baston when JO had to go to the locker room, and I assume a guy like Rawle, Powell or Greene would slip in for other types of injuries or foul problems.

The spacing was much better most of the time and I thought the plays ran much smoother. There were still some chemistry moments with passes surprising guys, stuff like that. But mostly it looked like guys were very comfortable with their roles, something we haven't seen all season.

Also, props to Cabbages. Without seeing the TOR game it seems to me that he's taken a step back to productivity. Forget the 3 ball. What I see is a guy playing with offensive confidence in the half court, especially off of PnRs. Heck, even a straight dribble curl to the lane (like a PnR without the pick) seems to work well for him.

At one point he aggressively drove to the heart of the defense only to feed Foster right under the basket for the easy layup by Jeff. He still had a lazy pass that was stolen, but he looked confident and certain about his options when facing full court pressure and even better once they hit the half court.

I've been ripping on the dude, but I think he might be finding his way back.

I've also been ripping Tinsley but I think he's also showing flashes of his better self. Perhaps both guys took some of their recent crap play to heart and set out to do something about it.

Daniels has done something to get bumped back down the rotation, though tonight I think we saw a little bit more of his normal use, where matchups might keep him on the court more than DA or Saras on some nights.

It's been my strong conviction that Granger was the starting lineup issue simply because he's still too green. As I mentioned he made plenty of bad mistakes, typically away from the ball where fans don't see which is why some nice shooting and a block or 2 make him appear great to the casual fan.

But he has been giving up as much as he gets with some of his mistakes - TOs, open layups, lost on defense, heck he even let his man the FT shooter get a rebound as he ended up BEHIND the Blazer that he was doubling on to help JO (ie, terrible technique). Sorry, but top guy MUST close out the shooter on a FT rebound...always. (this was not the FT that a guard snuck in from behind the shooter, that happened later)

Then he had the horrible pass to DA just 5 feet away where he hesitated and then threw it too soft, letting Dixon easily step in and take it. He got saved when Dixon thought he was falling out of bounds and threw the ball at DA's leg in an attempt to put it out on him. But he wasn't really on the line and the ball bounced right back to Danny who then went through an open-spaced court for an easy layup. Pure luck matched with a poor choice by Dixon (like something Danny does). It should have been Dixon passing to the center for Blazers dunk.

Danny even pulled the old jump up and then I-don't-know-what-I-meant-to-do travel. Pretty rough to watch.

Most of that stuff won't go in the box score but he did it and many others like it. You look at his line and it looks good. He did makes some nice shots. Of course he still camped the 3 line a bit too much and rarely took a SET play to the hoop for an inside score. Those shots typically came off of broken plays.

I don't think it was just luck that they had a better start with Jeff in and Danny on the bench. And I'm not anti-Granger at all. Love the kid, love the skills, love the hustle. I felt the same way about Harrington and Bender. But young players need to find their "aha" moment where the game starts to really click for them. Danny's still in "hold on, let me check my mental notes" mode which is why he works best in one on one situations or all out hustle plays, not so much when things get more complicated.

Let him work his way to the next level as the 6th man. I think it helps him in who he matches against, as well as what is expected of him. When a guy like Aldridge is out there making similar mistakes it evens out more.

Peck - Baston

Can't give him credit. He looked NEUTRAL to me. He didn't really get involved much at either end. The jury is out on him though it does appear that he also lacks a true feel for the NBA game.

The proof came when he had his big play - I sincerely saw this coming a mile away simply from watching all those Maccabi highlight reels. SarJas with the ball sees 1 on 1 for Baston at midcourt with no one really ahead of him. Right on that eye contact Baston increased his stride and a got a step or two ahead of his man by the FT line.

I never doubted that those 2 had that kind of connection, especially on that kind of alley-oop. It was a moment where the game stopped looking like an NBA game and showed a flash of the open Euro court. In other words, put him in situations that he is comfortable with and of course he (they) can excel, but the fact is that the NBA typically doesn't look like Euro ball.

My problem with the situation is that this is not the kind of thing that is available more than 2-3 times a game for the two of them, and then away from that you see far less impact, especially from Baston. He, like Danny and Powell, looks green. He's upbeat and positive, I enjoy seeing him giving it a go. I just think that fans are overrating him with the "he hasn't played so he must be great".

Baston typically did not space himself into position to make the kinds of plays he is comfortable with, such as shot blocking. He finds himself denied from those positions during the flow of the game, and it's not just chance.

And my other problem with Baston remains "why sign a 30+ year old guy to be the 2nd oldest player on the team when he needs as much PT to learn the NBA as perhaps Williams, Powell or Greene will?" I have hopes that all of them can take that next step. But only 3 of them will still have plenty of years left ahead of them when/if they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Peck - Baston

Can't give him credit. He looked NEUTRAL to me. He didn't really get involved much at either end. The jury is out on him though it does appear that he also lacks a true feel for the NBA game.

The proof came when he had his big play - I sincerely saw this coming a mile away simply from watching all those Maccabi highlight reels. SarJas with the ball sees 1 on 1 for Baston at midcourt with no one really ahead of him. Right on that eye contact Baston increased his stride and a got a step or two ahead of his man by the FT line.

I never doubted that those 2 had that kind of connection, especially on that kind of alley-oop. It was a moment where the game stopped looking like an NBA game and showed a flash of the open Euro court. In other words, put him in situations that he is comfortable with and of course he (they) can excel, but the fact is that the NBA typically doesn't look like Euro ball.

My problem with the situation is that this is not the kind of thing that is available more than 2-3 times a game for the two of them, and then away from that you see far less impact, especially from Baston. He, like Danny and Powell, looks green. He's upbeat and positive, I enjoy seeing him giving it a go. I just think that fans are overrating him with the "he hasn't played so he must be great".

Baston typically did not space himself into position to make the kinds of plays he is comfortable with, such as shot blocking. He finds himself denied from those positions during the flow of the game, and it's not just chance.

And my other problem with Baston remains "why sign a 30+ year old guy to be the 2nd oldest player on the team when he needs as much PT to learn the NBA as perhaps Williams, Powell or Greene will?" I have hopes that all of them can take that next step. But only 3 of them will still have plenty of years left ahead of them when/if they do.
    We watched two differant games then.

I saw Baston make great physical plays under the basket on the defensive end. Shot blocking, while a great attribute, is not the end all be all of defense. Just like stealing the ball does not make you a great defender either.

Two of the fouls that were called on him were iffy at best & one of them was absolute B.S.

Also I couldn't disagree more with you about the tight rotation. It is a long season, the more min. we put on people the less likely they are able to stay healthy for long periods of time.

If you then have players sitting on the pine then inevitably they are going to not have great production when called upon for any real length of service.

Also, I'm sorry but I am sick of small ball. Even with Foster in there, although IMO Jeff has made almost a 100% improvement from last season, I still consider the lineup small.

I want Powell, Baston or Harrison (probably in that order) to at least get a few min. a game just so we can have somebody to help with the bigger players. Did you see poor Al having to sumo wrestle Pryzbilla while J.O. was out? Wouldn't it have been nice if Harrison or Powell could have given Al a breaK?

To be frank, I like to see differant players get on the floor as well. Nothing bores me more than seeing the same guys night in and night out for 40 + min. a game.

As to your thoughts on Danny? Well, I can't let a post or a night go by without getting a shot in here somewhere.

Could it be that once he was away from Wilt jr. he was able to get the ball & do something besides just stand at the three point line waiting on a pass out?

I know they played a lot of min. together but by that time the Blazers had adjusted & the old soft double was in effect. So Danny starte ripping down the lane.

Also while we are at it & yes I blame the guards for a lot of this. But could someone explain to me how we have this supreme shot blocker yet we are # 3 in the NBA at allowing points in the paint?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

I don't think you gave Jeff Foster enough or any credit for that game. IMO, the key to this game was Fosters defense of Randolph.

That may have been the single greatest defensive game I've ever seen Jeff play.

He went toe to toe with Zach, who is like a bull, & didn't give a inch. That is the defense I want to see every game from him. He wasn't finesse at all, this was actually a power defense that I am not used to seeing him play.

Also I know if you didn't watch the game and only look at the box score you will think that Baston stunk & even if you did watch you might have shaken your head at a couple of plays. But overall I thought he came in & did a very good job considering he only played 13 min. prior to tonight, all at garbage time. He was physical & man does the guy cover a lot of ground in a hurry.

This is nothing like the Baston I remember from the Raptors.
    I thought Jeff's defense was fabulous - but then I always think it is (at least when he doesn't get into foul trouble). I too thought Baston came in a did a good job - it makes a diffeence him being 31 years old as vs 21.

I thought overall Granger looked freed up and was much more active offensively. His offensive game is going to take off when he's in there with Saras, DA and Daniels.

There was a time last night when I looked on the floor and I loved how we were playing and I loved who was out there. I meant to make a mental note about who was on the floor - but I didn't - I think it was Saras, DA, Granger, JO and someone else, but I forget.

There was a time last night when I looked on the floor and I loved how we were playing and I loved who was out there. I meant to make a mental note about who was on the floor - but I didn't - I think it was Saras, DA, Granger, JO and someone else, but I forget.
    I'm guessing the 5th was Foster. Our top5 +- performers by hazard

Quote Originally Posted by Seed View Post
    I think you are correct - it was

DA, Saras, Granger, Foster, JO.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey View Post
    I mentioned in my Toronto game report that Rick pulled Tinsley in the 4th quarter with about 5:00 to go, and replaced him with the DA/Saras combination.

Is this a trend we can expect to continue in the 4th quarter of games?
    Maybe in the first quarter too.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey View Post
    I mentioned in my Toronto game report that Rick pulled Tinsley in the 4th quarter with about 5:00 to go, and replaced him with the DA/Saras combination.

Is this a trend we can expect to continue in the 4th quarter of games?

Rick has been a coach with the Pacers for over 3 seasons - he has coached close to 300 games as Pacers coach, and I've seen everyone of those games but I've never seen him that upset before and I think he was upset with Tinsley. This was midway through the 3rd quarter when the Pacers had just given away their 11 point lead partially because Tinsley had a terrible turnover, took two really bad shots, and seemingly stopped playing any defense on Jack.

Rick likes the combo of DA and Saras (it isn't that they are that good - but the impact they have on the team is striking to me). There will be times when Rick won't play Saras due to defensive maychups - but he likes those two guys playing together

Rick has been a coach with the Pacers for over 3 seasons - he has coached close to 300 games as Pacers coach, and I've seen everyone of those games but I've never seen him that upset before and I think he was upset with Tinsley. This was midway through the 3rd quarter when the Pacers had just given away their 11 point lead partially because Tinsley had a terrible turnover, took two really bad shots, and seemingly stopped playing any defense on Jack.

Rick likes the combo of DA and Saras (it isn't that they are that good - but the impact they have on the team is striking to me). There will be times when Rick won't play Saras due to defensive maychups - but he likes those two guys playing together
    The length some of you go through to paint the picture you want to see.... It amazes me no end.

JT was sub'd in the 3rd with 4.01 to play in the quarter, during FT's as a results from a Jax foul, the last plays before that were a 3 by Al (5.48) JO Injured (5.22) airball Al (5.02 ) Jax score (4.22) foul Jax (4.01) Sara for Tins.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    The length some of you go through to paint the picture you want to see.... It amazes me no end.

JT was sub'd in the 3rd with 4.01 to play in the quarter, during FT's as a results from a Jax foul, the last plays before that were a 3 by Al (5.48) JO Injured (5.22) airball Al (5.02 ) Jax score (4.22) foul Jax (4.01) Sara for Tins.
    Rick was upset (I think at Tinsley) during a 20 second timeout - and JT was not taken out of the game at that point. I've never even hinted that Rick took Tinsley out of the game during the timeout.

Gotta go with able on this one, UB. The Pacers started the third up five, 51-46. When Tinsley subbed out with 4:01 left in the quarter, the Pacers were up three, 66-63. JO had already twisted his ankle at this point, and Randolph was on a tear.

We didn't lose the lead with Jamaal in the game.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Seed View Post
    I don't know about that considering how the Pacers went at the start of the game and in the early 3rd. Last I checked Pacers.com still had TOR +/- up.

BTW, speaking of +/-, I'm not big on comparing players of different game situations (bench vs starters basically), but what in the heck is up with HUGE difference in +/- for Harrington and Tinsley compared to JO and Granger? Jack saw some bench minutes so I can see how he might have gotten separated from them.

But you can't just blame slow starts since JO is in the game then too.

Could it be that once he was away from Wilt jr. he was able to get the ball & do something besides just stand at the three point line waiting on a pass out?
    Um...he didn't do that. He did camp the 3 point line. And on top of that he still spent plenty of time on the court with JO.

Peck, you know that beyond the game tape, which I do have available, that the shooting chart also is easily accessable.

He had as many MISSES from at or just inside the arc as he did MAKES in the paint. One of his makes in the paint was the layup where he threw the ball DIRECTLY to Dixon. Dixon didn't "lose control" like Clark said at the time, he clearly thought he was going out of bounds and needed to save possession by throwing it off of Armstrong's leg. It bounced right back to Danny and he easily walked through the open court for a simply layup. Pure luck and a dumb play by Dixon. Another one of Danny's inside shots was with JO on the court at the end of the 4th when Danny had his shot at the rim stuffed in his face

Danny's first bucket - the Pacers standard play (which T-bird and I discussed) in which Jack screens for Danny and then JO drops to the low block and let's Jack curl around him to take the pass from Tinsley. The first option on the play is a backdoor pass to Danny if his man lags on the screen or they don't switch.

It was a PLAY created by RICK which also featured JO on the court. Danny caught the pass from Tinsley at the rim and put it in.

Right after that JO blocks a shot by Magloire, Danny is the first guy out since he was up top at the time of the play...and guess where he runs to on the other end?

The freaking 3pt line. You know, where people complain about Jack going to the 3pt line on a transition instead of to the basket. Al and Tinsley went into the paint, Danny stood in front of the Pacers bench and watched as Tinsley took (and missed) the FT line jumper.

JO wasn't in the way on this, he was last back since the play started with him under the rim outletting his own block that he recovered.

(mental error just for good measure)
    A few seconds later Udoka shoots FTs and Danny is the high man on the lane, instead of blocking out Udoka and generally cutting off the lane, he instead leans into Randolph and ends up BEHIND HIM with his BACK TO THE RIM as the FT hits iron and goes right back to Udoka. Keep in mind that JO had Randolph blocked out already, so I have no idea what DG thought he was doing there.

When Danny nabbed the offensive board just a little after that it was because he was playing weakside LANE with JO in the post. Yes, Danny was the other guy placed near the rim on the play, in spite of JO being on the court (something you suggest doesn't happen). The play was a potential ball reversal post switch in which Jack feeds JO and if they want to swap sides they rotate out to Al and around to Tinsley who then feeds Danny (if DG's man cheats or helps too much). Again, this is a standard set the Pacers run which features DG on the inside while JO is on the court.

The 2:50 mark, mild transistion, Danny again goes to the arc to camp. This time Tins feeds him and he makes a mild attempt to dribble baseline but is quickly cut off and must pass the ball away. A few seconds later Al took his man off the dribble easily.

2:20, Saras feeds Jeff going to the lane (fumbles pass, TO). Even as the ball went in and his man dropped hard to double Jeff, Danny just stood on the arc waiting for the deep kickout despite the fact that Jeff was in his shooting motion even as he tried to catch it (quick put up off a cutting catch...but he rushed it). JO was out off the weakside and not "in the way" at all.

1:23 - Daniels feeds Danny at the arc, he takes 1 dribble in, jumps in the air (in traffic) and does a Fred Jones spin pass back out to Quis. MD steps in for a closer jumper and as he does so Danny LEAVES the inside. He just drifts back upcourt while watching the shot instead of going on in toward the rim. JO ended up getting the offensive board on his own (Foster was in the mix but double blocked).

After JO gets the rebound on the wing DANIELS slashes to the lane as they come back into the offensive end (prior to the actually play). Granger? Camps the arc to the point that you can't even see him on camera.

JO OUT - near the end of the quarter (less than 24) ball hurries into the front court. Granger goes to the high arc and CALLS for the ball. It's 15 seconds left in the half with no shot clock. Saras does not pass to him obviously.

Now Danny does get a close jumper to early in the 2nd, but it's due to the Blazers showing a full court press. Saras passes ahead to Danny who quickly is behind Randolph and is able to get to about 5 feet away before a Blazer gets in front of him. Not to discredit DG, this is a great, smart play. Just saying that it was a broken defense and not a normal situation. If DG had been without the ball, say Jack was the one coming up, then it's quite possible that Granger would have sat on the arc yet again.

WITH JO STILL OUT - Danny procedes to take THREE 3pt shots in a 90 second window, and bear in mind that he missed the first one so it wasn't like he started hot and kept going.

Here's the basics:

11:07 - Saras gives him the ball, he shows shot fake and jab step, never uses a dribble, then makes a soft pass to Saras that is tipped and almost stolen.

10:33 - Granger lingers on the right arc yet again as Quis works as the PG off the double high pick. Quis goes right (off Foster) and passes to Danny. He looks briefly and kicks it back out. When Saras makes the strong drive to the lane to hand off to Foster underneath you see Danny still standing on the arc CALLING FOR THE ball for a 3pt shot. Sorry, I'll take the Foster layup inside instead.

(good note - right here Danny blocks an awkward layup attempt by Outlaw off the sideline in-bounds)

9:50 - rebound transition, Saras pushes it up with a pass to Quis running, Al had gone to the low post ahead of the pack. This ends up being Al's baseline spin layup score. But in the meantime Danny? Camps immediately outside the opposite side 3 arc

9:20 - rinse, repeat. Danny stands in the same spot, arm up for the ball as Saras drives. Saras takes his own shot and misses, offensive board, pass finally to Danny calling for it. 3pt miss, no dribble, no other look, even though Outlaw was awkwardly closing on him and he could easily blow past him and shoot over the PG (if he could even get there in time to cut him off)

(bad defensive note - Granger sags way too far off Outlaw on a PnR which gives Travis a wide open jumper make)

8:46 - play off timeout, double high pick, Saras goes right off of Foster, kicks to Danny on the right baseline arc. DG shoots and hits it.

8:21 - Danny finally transitions away from the arc, on a breakout (semi-cherry pick) he is ahead of the crowd for a certain layup, but lets the long pass go off his fingertips and out of bounds for a TO. Still, at least he didn't run to the arc this time.

7:55 - Danny does do a nice job to run baseline past the Al postup on a "hurry up" rebound transition (ie, the quickly moved to a HC setup rather than a full break). But then he goes to the right arc and camps. Ball comes to him and he rotates it, comes back to him and he shoots and makes, again with no look to drive...and no JO to blame

Okay, this is more than enough to make the point about Danny camping the 3. Sometimes I'm sure its by design, but he also does it on mixed transition (ie, if he's not alone and in front of the pack), so it's also part of his mindset.

At no time, JO on or not, did Danny exhibit any serious level of dribble penetration, and when you suggest it as "proof" for a point (about JO) when it is so clearly proven otherwise it really suggests to me that you are simply seeing the game you want to see.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Gotta go with able on this one, UB. The Pacers started the third up five, 51-46. When Tinsley subbed out with 4:01 left in the quarter, the Pacers were up three, 66-63. JO had already twisted his ankle at this point, and Randolph was on a tear.

We didn't lose the lead with Jamaal in the game.
    Thank you

I just saw this thread and my head about exploded.

We did not lose the lead when Jamaal was in despite J.O. going down. We lost the lead when Saras and Armstrong were in. We regained the lead when J.O. came back and dominated.