Thread: Granger to the bench; Foster back at 5 {Indystar.com}

Default Granger to the bench; Foster back at 5 {Indystar.com}

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...611280388/1088

Lineup changes loom on West Coast swing
    Jackson, Foster set to join Harrington, O'Neal and Tinsley as starters
    By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com
    November 28, 2006

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Indiana Pacers coach Rick Carlisle believes long road trips can either bond or break a team.

The Pacers' six-game trip got off to a rough start when they lost at Toronto on Sunday. Now it looks like the Pacers could have a new starting lineup tonight against the Portland Trail Blazers as they continue in search of an identity.

Indications from several players point to Stephen Jackson regaining his starting shooting guard position and Jeff Foster starting at center.
    Carlisle declined comment about the situation following the team's practice at a Portland-area health club Monday.

"It's a possibility there could be some lineup changes," he said.
    Jackson will replace Rawle Marshall at shooting guard and the starting front court will be Foster, Jermaine O'Neal and Al Harrington.

O'Neal missed Monday's practice with lower back spasms, but he said he should be in the lineup tonight.

Carlisle said on his weekly radio show last week that he would wait about 10 games before deciding if there would be any changes with the opening-night starting lineup of Jamaal Tinsley, Jackson, Danny Granger, Al Harrington and O'Neal. Carlisle started Marquis Daniels in front of the struggling Jackson on Nov. 18. Daniels' stay in the starting lineup lasted three games before Marshall took his place at shooting guard against the Cleveland Cavaliers on Nov. 24.

"We're in a situation where we're trying to find the players in the right position and right rotations," O'Neal said. "It's been a very difficult thing for the coaching staff. As players we have to do a better job with them helping out; giving them some easier choices that work for our team. It's good to have all the guys out there. Jack has been playing well off the bench, but we feel like we need to make a little bit more change to get off to a better start."

The starting combination of Tinsley, Jackson, Harrington, Foster and O'Neal is what some people thought it would be when the Pacers acquired Harrington from Atlanta in a sign-and-trade deal in August. Carlisle started Granger in place of Foster because he wanted to have his best players on the court at the beginning of the game. The move backfired because the Pacers lacked energy and they've routinely fallen behind in the first quarter. They've trailed at the end of the first quarter in 11 of their 14 games this season.

Foster is a high-energy player who doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective. His main purpose on the court is to defend and rebound. Harrington will slide to small forward, a position he said he wants to play.
    "I hate that I got out of it. My first year in Atlanta, I had to move to four after they got Antoine (Walker), then last year I played four all season," Harrington said in the preseason. "I just want to get one more crack at it, because I know I'm a small forward. I can post, I can shoot the 3 now, I can handle the ball. I can punish other threes. No other three besides Ron Artest is as strong as I am. . . . I know I can defend that position."
    The Pacers hope the lineup change will bring spark to a team that has yet to play well on a consistent basis.

"Right now we're still trying to figure out the solution and the substance to make things go," O'Neal said. "Obviously we haven't quite found it because we're 7-7 right now. It's a puzzling thing. I feel like when it's all said and done we'll be able to find it."

Default Re: Granger to the bench; Foster back at 5 {Indystar.com}

Time for some IF's.

IF Al can guard 3's.

And IF this means Granger gets the 6th man treatment offensively (in other words they ask him to do more than shoot 3's), I can like this move.

That a good thing in my book. Not sure about Al and how it will pan out but i don't think he is doing great at the moment anyway, so might aswell try this.

I thought Al should have been the one to come off the bench (mainly because I want our best defender to start the game to keep the great offensive players under control from the very start) But I also realize bringing Al off the bench probably wasn't an option.

reshuffling of the deck chairs.

Our two weakest positions are still PG and SG, and that has not changed at all no matter you you put there, unless you start the Granger at SG experiment or stick Quis at SG for 20 games and see if he can hack it alongside a PG who can't shoot, which is a scary alternative too.

We are talent-deprived at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    reshuffling of the deck chairs.

Our two weakest positions are still PG and SG, and that has not changed at all no matter you you put there, unless you start the Granger at SG experiment or stick Quis at SG for 20 games and see if he can hack it alongside a PG who can't shoot, which is a scary alternative too.

We are talent-deprived at the moment.

Uh, you might want to check Tins stats for the past week.

Sports Logo

We are weak at sg and backup pg. What happened to Green? I thought he was healthy and available?

I know we have talked about this before and shouted it down (myself included) but maybe we should start Granger at the sg. He shoots the 3 better than any of our other sg's.

I do 100% agree that Foster needs to start and that J.O. is not a center.

So in other words a lineup of

Tins
    Danger
    Al
    J.O.
    Foster

I would at least like them to try it on for size.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I thought Al should have been the one to come off the bench (mainly because I want our best defender to start the game to keep the great offensive players under control from the very start) But I also realize bringing Al off the bench probably wasn't an option.
    QFT
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I like the move. This gives RC the option of bringing Granger in at any of three positions where he needs immediate help. Also, this way DG does not fall in love with the 3 point shot.

It's for sure it will not hurt to try and those starters are familar with each other.

We have no big guys off the bench now. I guess Baston may get some minutes now. Before we had Foster off the bench to replace JO, then JO to come back a replace Al...etc.

With all of them starting, possibly baston may soon see the floor.

Also, I really really like Al at the three spot.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Follow me no more....... Fireball Kid's Avatar

I kinda figured this would happen eventually. A change needed to be made and this small ball stuff just isn't working for this kind of team. I knew it would be Danny Granger going to the bench instead of Al Harrington even though thats where he belongs.
    "Remember the pain of my fist. That is my power!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Old as Dirt

Fireball Kid That is the way I see it. I knew that little Al would not come the bench , though that is where he should be.

A change obviously was needed. JO is not a Center, and neither is Al, our listed center so far this season. Better to put them both in their preferred positions and deal with the problem at Center. Jeff is indeed the best option there right now, although he too is not a true center. But he rebounds and hustles, so start him.

I'd also prefer to see Danny tried at SG, and hopefully we will see some of that coming off the bench. If it works, maybe we then start him there and bring Jack off the bench, which has been working.

Hopefully Baston/Powell will see time off the bench, and we'll understand better WTH White was cut. Harrison should play some too, to see whether he has a future.

If none of that works, we need to deal JO, if even possible, for a quality SG, a rebounding Center, and a pick in the June draft.

I believe this is our best option at this time. These guys have played together before, except for AL, instead of Ron, did pretty well.

I think the second team will do much better with DG on it and it should spark a faster more cohesive unit.

This lineup might be the thing that get the Pacers out of this slump. The status quo wasn't working as it was.

Lets see. Granger, Baston, Marshal, DA, and Sarunas.

Keep your eyes open or you will get hit in the head with a pass.

I like it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsforlife View Post
    I believe this is our best option at this time. These guys have played together before, except for AL, instead of Ron, did pretty well.

I think the second team will do much better with DG on it and it should spark a faster more cohesive unit.

This lineup might be the thing that get the Pacers out of this slump. The status quo wasn't working as it was.

Lets see. Granger, Baston, Marshal, DA, and Sarunas.

Keep your eyes open or you will get hit in the head with a pass.

I like it.
    Kind of a small unit, but it could work if the match-ups were right. Powell or Harrison could come for some size.

Moving Danny to the bench might be the best move for him right now, because he's been misused when playing with JO and Al. Also, Foster definitely brings a new intensity to rebounding right from the start. Hopefully it will get us off to a faster start so we don't have to climb back in the second half for a chance to win.

Bringing Jackson back to the starting line-up is good and bad. Good because he may be our best SG (wow, that's really hard to say...); bad because he's played so well coming off the bench. I guess time will tell.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Does anyone remember in 01-02 and 02-03 when we had Harrington guarding Jordan whenever we played the Wiz?

I think that Harrington will do fine guarding 3's...sure, he'll have trouble guarding LeBron, but who doesn't. I think he'll be much more effective on bigger 3's like Melo, Odom and Pierce than Danny. I think he'll also shoot better as a result of less banging down low guarding 4's and 5's.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Now that the starting Rawle experiment is over, Marquis better get his 6th/7th man minutes back. I am going to be super pissed if Quis is really being phased out of the rotation.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I want to see Powell in the rotation, dammit. As good as Rawle was in the preseason, Josh was even BETTER.

It was the move I expected to happen before the season started. Finally, our team will start better. Not saying Al or Danny aren't better than Jeff or whatever, but this lineup will work.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jcouts View Post
    Does anyone remember in 01-02 and 02-03 when we had Harrington guarding Jordan whenever we played the Wiz?

I remember Jordan having a 40 at 40 game.

I think that Harrington will do fine guarding 3's...sure, he'll have trouble guarding LeBron, but who doesn't. I think he'll be much more effective on bigger 3's like Melo, Odom and Pierce than Danny. I think he'll also shoot better as a result of less banging down low guarding 4's and 5's.
    I think that when the times comes that we play against a team with someone that Al won't be able to guard, RC would put Danny in the starting lineup and maybe bump Foster out.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    No other three besides Ron Artest is as strong as I am. . . . I know I can defend that position."
    Anybody else notice this comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I thought Al should have been the one to come off the bench (mainly because I want our best defender to start the game to keep the great offensive players under control from the very start)
    Lol, we're playing the Blazers.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Do you remember Al having that serious injury which had a serious impact on his ability to guard the faster type of offensive players? I don't have faith in Al guarding 3's very well, I have more faith in him guarding 4's.

The thing that worries me the most ... Al falling in love with jumpshots from long and medium range and not dishing/moving the ball and moving without the ball as he should.

I hope it works, but I think Al would be the perfect backup PF and SF.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    I remember Jordan having a 40 at 40 game.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fireball Kid View Post
    I kinda figured this would happen eventually. A change needed to be made and this small ball stuff just isn't working for this kind of team. I knew it would be Danny Granger going to the bench instead of Al Harrington even though thats where he belongs.
    Why does Al Harrington belong on the bench? He's our best scorer and he's been rebounding like a mad man lately. Is the Allas Mavericks had Big Al instead of Josh Howard they'd be NBA champions right now.