Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just for Discussion: Ben Wallace

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Just for Discussion: Ben Wallace

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...training_camp/

OK, just for discussion....could we/should we if we could grab Big Ben away from Chicago and what would he mean for the Pacers?

(How ironic would THAT be to lose Artest and then grab Ben to play for the P's)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Default Re: Just for Discussion: Ben Wallace

Unless we are trading Jo/Tins for Hinrich/Ben no thank you. Yes I know the Bulls would laugh at that trade.

But either way Wallace is overpaid, so NO.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

OK, just for discussion....could we/should we if we could grab Big Ben away from Chicago and what would he mean for the Pacers?

Given the circumstances of late the thought did cross my mind. Age and size of contract are a concern, although it's the same length as Al's.
    His intensity, demeanor and skill set would seem to compliment JO and Granger nicely.

I believe 12/15 is the magic date when Al or Ben can be traded.

I'm not sure if Paxson would want to get rid of Ben right now, although I do think other players, like Gordon, Deng, Nocioni and or the 1st Rd pick may be on the way out soon, if thier situation does not improve.

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post

Okay Geeze, did you overheat your Ovaltine this morning or what. Ben doesn't fit our future plans, what ever they may be. If we were one piece away from a championship maybe but he is too pricey for our current team and on his way down.

His best years are now and the next 2 and we are not ready yet. I think it will take us at least this year to convert into what ever we are converting into !!! Wow, I must have drank waaaay to much rum to make such a profound statement like that.

Anyway, nice thought but we need young prospects now and yes I had a great time in Jamicia.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ben's contract makes me want to puke.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    Yeah, I'm jealous too.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Could we? Yes

Should we? Yes

Imagine a front court of Granger, JO and Ben. Makes me drool thinking about it. It gives JO the type of player he wanted most this off season because Ben can rebound very well and is also a very good shotblocker. He also does not demand the ball on offense like Al does. JO could get things done on offense with the occasional help from Ben and they can both work as a tandem on defense. I dont think ANY player in the league would like to drive against JO and Ben.

I believe they would compliment each other so well on offense and defense. I can only dream.
    My Dream Team

PG - A.Iverson
    SG - K.Bryant
    SF - R.Artest
    PF - J.O'Neal
    C - D.Howard

No way.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."

- Albert Einstein

Mood

No way Ben Wallace is an old 32. Look at the other night 20 minutes 0 points-blocks or rebounds -4 years 60 million dollar contract no way I'd want him. His act had worn old in Detroit they made no real effort to resign him after dealing Arroyo and Milicic to create room agaist the luxury tax , they knew what Chicago is discovering Ben's on the downside of his career and sliding quickly. No way he's worth 15 mil a year for 4 years.

Plus he bad mouthed Rick after Carlisle left Detroit , whinned about Larry Brown- Flip Saunders and now Scott Skilles -I'd stay as far away from acquiring the malconent as I could.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Absolutely NOT!
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Well the team has been lacking players that defy the coach and carry a chip on their shoulder. Also it's been a long time since they had an overpriced contract on the books, so they are about due for one of those as well.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by J_2_Da_IzzO View Post
    Could we? Yes

Should we? Yes

Imagine a front court of Granger, JO and Ben. Makes me drool thinking about it. It gives JO the type of player he wanted most this off season because Ben can rebound very well and is also a very good shotblocker. He also does not demand the ball on offense like Al does. JO could get things done on offense with the occasional help from Ben and they can both work as a tandem on defense. I dont think ANY player in the league would like to drive against JO and Ben.

I believe they would compliment each other so well on offense and defense. I can only dream.
    True, a JO, Ben, and Danny frontcourt would allow roughly ZERO points in the paint.

Problem is, it also keeps US from scoring OUTSIDE the paint. Shooting is the first issue we need to address.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

I'm sorry, I would never want Ben for how much he costs. He has a rediculous contract.

I think he is THE kind of player JO needs beside him. This would form the most intimidating front court in the league.

Yes we will be ugly, but face it - we're ugly anyway.. We should just accept it and take it all the way.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Nope. Not even if they'd let me set his on fire every night.

Even if I could get over the fact that it was his rediculous reaction that started 11/19, or that his brother would be in the stands of the Fieldhouse to watch him play... I wouldn't want his contract.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

overpaid, one-dimensional, rapidly fading, prima donna.

not a chance, hopefully

I think as naptown stated, the better story here for discussion is why Ben Wallace felt that he was above the team rules.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Gotta Play Big

Harrison, Harrington and chump change for Ben should get it done based on how he is responding. We need a real man in the middle on this team. Ben has at least a few years left in the tank.

I like Al...but he just don't fit.

EDIT: JO is not going to be in his prime forever. This iteration of the team will be dismantled within a few years if things do not get better.

Mood

There is a little thing called the salary cap that needs to be met in trading for Ben Wallace and is 4 year 60 mil contract (something I want no part of).

You suggested Al Harrington (7.6mil) and David Harrison (739,000)and chump change -well in this case chump change equals 8million more in salary .

They'd want no part of larger salaries Tinsley and Jackson.

So next best inclusions are either Jeff Foster (5.2) or Daniels (5.9) mil since Wallace is their main rebounder that means including Foster .

You still need to add nearly 2 mil more in salary to make it work - Powell or Marshall and Greene = 1.4 mil

So in the end its Ben Wallace for Al Harrington , David Harrison,Jeff Foster , Rawle Marshall or Josh Powell and Orien Greene just to work capwise.

Thats a horrible deal Ben Wallace at 4 years 60 million is in no way something the Pacers should even remotely consider.

Gotta Play Big

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    There is a little thing called the salary cap that needs to be met in trading for Ben Wallace and is 4 year 60 mil contract (something I want no part of).

You suggested Al Harrington (7.6mil) and David Harrison (739,000)and chump change -well in this case chump change equals 8million more in salary .

They'd want no part of larger salaries Tinsley and Jackson.

So next best inclusions are either Jeff Foster (5.2) or Daniels (5.9) mil since Wallace is their main rebounder that means including Foster .

You still need to add nearly 2 mil more in salary to make it work - Powell or Marshall and Greene = 1.4 mil

So in the end its Ben Wallace for Al Harrington , David Harrison,Jeff Foster , Rawle Marshall or Josh Powell and Orien Greene just to work capwise.

Thats a horrible deal Ben Wallace at 4 years 60 million is in no way something the Pacers should even remotely consider.
    Let's assume Harrington and Harrison are enough quality to get it done. You know they pursued Al, so there is strong interest there. I can understand that since they took an aging PJ Brown. Considering the discord between Ben and management...and his fat contract, that might work talent wise...particularly if you throw in Jack too.

Now, let's talk about the money.

First, you say they would choke on Jack's contract. I think they could swallow Jack's contract much easier than Ben's. Also, Jack's contract is voidable if he is convicted. It would come right off their books and they could use the savings to retain other key pieces. Otherwise, he makes a good backup and his stock is as low as it's going to get...at least outside Indy.

This should leave us in pretty good shape with Marshall and Quis at SG. It would eliminate the PF controversy (AL and JO). It would eliminate our rebounding problems and soft underbelly. It would open up room for other PF's (Williams, Baston, Powell, etc.). We would be an incredibly good defensive team with Ben in the middle. Finally a tough interior presence on the Pacers..for the first time since Dale Davis.

JO turns 29 next year and if something is not done within a couple years, this iteration of the Pacers is going nowhere. Ben is exactly what JO needs in the middle.

No way.

I agree that we could really use a good rebounder who can block shots and doesn't need a ton of shots, who also plays good post defense. But Wallace's contract is too big for too long, and he's fading rapidly. I think by this time next year he'll be little more than a roleplayer, and that's only if Hinrich lets him sit in on his monthly D&D sessions.

I think the most disappointing thing about this offseason was that both Przybilla and Nazr Mohammed were on the market, and we didn't secure either of them. Surely our 1st could have landed either in a S&T, and while not nearly as talented as Al, they would have been a much better fit.

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post

Jermaine's contract makes me wanna puke.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I'm glad that really applied to the topic at hand. We can't do anything about JO's contract, but we can avoid compounding the problem by adding a 32 year old player owed 60 million over the next 4 years.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Peck: Its not so bad a contract. We get a big man who can shoot, rebound and pass, an assistant coach plus a budding GM in one package. CO'Nsider the RA trade demands. It pretty evident the Pacer have the best of all worlds.

I noticed you called him "Coach O'Neal" in another thread. Shorten that to CO'N
    instead of JO and it works considering his contract.

CO'N is a really good player, almost god like when you think about it.