Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Official Colts @ Cowboys Game thread - 11/19/06

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Official Colts @ Cowboys Game thread - 11/19/06

I'm surprised we were still in it after turning it over 2,000 times.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Regardless of how the rest of the season plays out, defense HAS to a priority in the offseason. This is just pathetic.

But, then again, that's what we've been saying for a while now.

I didn't know this was the Super Bowl game......

Super Bowl XLI Champions

I wouldn't really be ashamed of losing to the Cowboys. They have been in nearly every single game this year ever since Romo took over.

On a positive note, the Colts run defense showed signs of improving. On a negative note, your running game was basically shut down. Addai or Rhodes is really going to have to step it up when the playoffs role around.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't really be ashamed of losing to the Cowboys. They have been in nearly every single game this year ever since Romo took over.

On a positive note, the Colts run defense showed signs of improving. On a negative note, your running game was basically shut down. Addai or Rhodes is really going to have to step it up when the playoffs role around.
    Yeah. We've got problems we're going to have to fix.

At least we didn't get blown out.

We had chances to win. Now the media circus won't be all over us about going undefeated. That's a good thing.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

Hopefully the Giants will beat Jacksonville tomorrow!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2007 Super Bowl XLI Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    Yeah. We've got problems we're going to have to fix.

At least we didn't get blown out.

We had chances to win. Now the media circus won't be all over us about going undefeated. That's a good thing.
    Another thing is that nobody could have predicted is how well the Dallas front 7 would play today. They haven't played this good all year..Manning was out there running for his life.

You have to give Dallas credit...they put alot of effort towards it...but I think this loss helps the Colts in the long run. To be honest, If I was a die-hard Colts fan, I'd want another loss towards the end of this season to wake the team up right before the playoffs.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

From what I took out of that game, yeah we lost BUT our run D gave up about 40 some yards in the first half is what they were announcing at halftime that's Fantastic compared to what we've dealt with ALL season long we can at least come away from this and know that was good, but good god our O-Line had a huge meltdown today I'm just glad it's now and not the Playoffs

Things that ticked me off about this game, no challenge by dungy...? it's like he just got cocky and knew manning was going to win the game for us anyways. Another thing that just ticked me off in general was they said that if the colts win a game in November they get TWO DAYS OFF...great plan their coach it's getting closer to the playoffs you do everything possible to make sure we're rusty when the playoffs come here it's worked perfectly thus far.

I'm sorry Dungy is a great coach and he obviously knows more than me about football, but that kind of work ethic hasn't exactly worked out for us in the past. He needs to grow a pair and push this team over the hump.

Next week sssshhhoouullllddd be an easy game. Donovan Mcnabb is done for the season we contain Westbrook and force whoever it is they have to fill in for Mcnabb to pass and we should have a great showing in the national television game next week.

It's better that we lost now instead of later imo.

Maybe this will bring them back down to earth so now we know that we aren't invincible before the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    From what I took out of that game, yeah we lost BUT our run D gave up about 40 some yards in the first half is what they were announcing at halftime that's Fantastic compared to what we've dealt with ALL season long we can at least come away from this and know that was good, but good god our O-Line had a huge meltdown today I'm just glad it's now and not the Playoffs
    I agree with the Don here. One thing I might add that I was disappointed in. We had to make two yards in 2 plays for that first down in the red zone for the tie. Peyton throws two straight passes. Sometimes I do wonder if Peyton gets it in his head he has to be the man everytime? I would have liked to see if Adai could have picked it up on one of those plays.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    I agree with the Don here. One thing I might add that I was disappointed in. We had to make two yards in 2 plays for that first down in the red zone for the tie. Peyton throws two straight passes. Sometimes I do wonder if Peyton gets it in his head he has to be the man everytime? I would have liked to see if Adai could have picked it up on one of those plays.
    We also had a possession earlier in the half where we were 3rd and short and went for the long ball instead of running or a higher percentage pass. IIRC missing that long ball made us 3 and out right after Dallas had just tied the game.

Dallas was the first team that stuck to the game plan and didn't do something stupid chasing points against the Colts. They didn't let the Colt mystique (of the offense) cause them to overthink anything. Even with the Colt defense seemingly playing better, they didn't make one of those bonehead calls that play into the Colts' hands. The one flag in the EZ on the Colt defense was critical too because it didn't appear to be a factor in the interception that would've stalled their scoring drive. So it's not like the Colt defender had to do that to stop a 'sure' Cowboy TD otherwise.

The bad thing is that the Cowboys have just given the rest of the NFL a blueprint on how to beat the Colts. Not that the blueprint didn't exist before but now coaches and players can see it can work if they just stick to it. Coaches have video proof that they can sell the players (and themselves on). They can now say "The Colts don't always have an answer and you can still get in Peyton and the offense's head. We just have to stick with the gameplan and play solid, physical foorball".

Of course there's also the some potential good coming from it if it serves as a wakeup call to the players and the coaches that they've played with fire all year long and when they faced a team playing playoff style football, with discipline, this time they got burned. It was the Colts who got impatient and chased the points. And that is part of what burned them.

And it goes without saying that you can't be turning the ball over in the NFL. You can't force it into double coverage. And you have to hang onto the ball.

And lastly... if you do go for the EZ and not the first down on 4th and 2... How about forcing one into somebody there rather than basically throwing it away? (Altho I'm not convinced we shouldn't have kicked the FG there and put the pressure back on the Cowboys to hold onto a 4 point lead while we play defense... and we would have had the option of an onside kick too).

Soooo it was same ol Colts when the pressure was on. Just what we thought we were over last year, but in the end haunted us, we just got a glimpse of if this year. While initially I think last year's Steeler game might not have had to do with this, the end of the game had everything to do with it. We were throwing 'hero' balls when we should've been trying to get a first down and/or get the kicker closer for a tying FG.

We need to keep that 'hero' ball tucked away a while longer in games where every play, every possession, are so vital.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    The bad thing is that the Cowboys have just given the rest of the NFL a blueprint on how to beat the Colts.
    -Bball
    I really disagree with that statement one success doesn't mean it's going to work everytime, will people try it more often now and in the playoffs? Yea i'd say the chances of that are extremely good, but not every team is as capable as dallas was at playing that particular scheme, and they didn't have to change their gameplan they've been using that scheme all year and are very comfortable with it. If we're in that many peoples heads that they have to change their entire defensive scheme for one week to play well with the colts I would not be worried.

The thing is, they said they had practiced every one of our passing schemes 150 times each before they showed up to play us. We had a day off on Monday showed up for a short film session on tuesday and really didn't get into putting whatever plan we were going to use against them in motion until Wednesday, and yet one call bounces our way or we don't turn the ball over nearly as much and we still win that game handily I believe. Lets also not forget we have not had stokely since forever to have the entire playbook at our disposal and the defense DID do well until I believe it got disheartened and had given up mentally after we couldn't convert on just 4th and 2 but it will only get better once we get Sanders back and right now it's not like we're awful. Go read the article on Indy Star they had only 77 yards for 21 carries in the first 3 quarters which is 3.6 yards per rush which is leaps and bounds better than the 4.5 we were giving up prior to that

I really disagree with that statement one success doesn't mean it's going to work everytime, will people try it more often now and in the playoffs? Yea i'd say the chances of that are extremely good, but not every team is as capable as dallas was at playing that particular scheme, and they didn't have to change their gameplan they've been using that scheme all year and are very comfortable with it. If we're in that many peoples heads that they have to change their entire defensive scheme for one week to play well with the colts I would not be worried.
    Right, not every team is as capable as Dallas but the point is that Dallas just showed it can be done.... and in the playoffs all the teams will be more capable. Now there is proof that this Indpls Colt team can be defeated and that makes it easier for others to buy into the plan. Defenses just need to stick to the game plan and more importantly opposing offenses need to do so as well rather than getting antsy and thinking they need to get lots of points just to beat the Colts. The Colts have had teams going for it on 4th down rather than kicking FG's or playing a field position game with them. They've had teams play them well only to throw a stupid long pass because the QB or coach couldn't stay conservative and wanted to chase the points.

The blueprint on how to beat the Colts has been out there for a while but the Colts have gotten a little better about it but when it comes right down to it they still need to play better within themselves to not get caught in the trap.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I have no qualms about the defense. They played very well. They got killed in the 2nd half, becuase they were out on the field all the time. Since they are built on speed, they DO need rest. The offense underperformed.

One thing, man do we have protection problems against 3-4 defenses. If we play SD in the playoffs, I don't see us winning. I think we can beat NE, mainly because of personnel. But SD, they will eat us alive.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I am actually glad the Colts lost.

They are not a good enough team to go undefeated. There is no shame in that. It is better to lose now because we will have time to get over it more and the loss means less. Unlike last year, when it seemed that only the record mattered, then Dungy's son died, and then we lost, we fell and we fell long and hard. Our season was downhill after that first loss.

I thought the team played well. We didn't have Stokley or Sanders again but I still felt like we played well. IMO the Colts were in control of the game, they just didn't pull away and that allowed the Cowboys back into it.

I just hope that we can be healthy and playing well come playoff time. That is all I care about because that is all that is important.

Next week sssshhhoouullllddd be an easy game. Donovan Mcnabb is done for the season we contain Westbrook and force whoever it is they have to fill in for Mcnabb to pass and we should have a great showing in the national television game next week.

Umm, the Texans was supposed to be an easy game.
    However, the last time the Colts played the Eagles they pwned them....

A little too late in this thread for me, as a Cowboys fan, to gloat so I'll use this as a Thanksgiving post.

First, let me thank Indy for playing such suck football for the 1st 3 quarters that we were still in it and Romo had a chance to bring us back.

Second, Thank you to Tony Dungy for forgetting what that red flag is for.

Third, Thank you to Parcells for finally bringing in Romo a few weeks back.

Thank you to TO for mostly shutting up the last 3 weeks.

Above all, Thank you for a game we can really use to build our season on - the Tampa Bay mauling showed what this did for us.

And finally - you guys thought you could sabotage us by leaving Vandercrap out there for some poor idiots to gobble up - but Nooooo - try as he might, he's only lost one game for us in the last 4 weeks!

Looking forward to watching you stomp the Eagles to a bloody pulp tonight.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire