Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 58

Thread: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

  1. #26
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by George Foreman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with the first paragraph, however, I believe that the ability of developers will control how detailed each systems games look(not the hardware).
    And how good a game looks is only marginally related to how fun it will be to play.

    A lesson I wish Sony would learn.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  2. #27
    Member efx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,657

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    Well, the hardware is fine. It's up to developers if they really feel they can produce content worthy of the hardware so to speak.

    I say how a game looks can be important to the overall impact of a game. Look at something like Gears of War. It's a fantastic game. As a developer, the amount of work it took to make something like that is a credit both to the artists and the producers of the game. That's a perfect example of a game where the immersion factor depends a lot on the actual look of the game.

    Some other games like wii sports work in their own way. But some games work with it and some don't.

  3. #28

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    Well the Playstation 3 is definetly a better system than the xbox 360. I just did a project on the ps3 and it is 2 times as powerful as the xbox 360. It was made much better as well. It cost more than $400 more to make the ps3 than the xbox 360 (this is no joke). Technically the ps3 is second to NO ONE!

  4. #29
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,207
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well the Playstation 3 is definetly a better system than the xbox 360. I just did a project on the ps3 and it is 2 times as powerful as the xbox 360. It was made much better as well. It cost more than $400 more to make the ps3 than the xbox 360 (this is no joke). Technically the ps3 is second to NO ONE!
    Something to keep in mind here, is that the most powerful system available has never won the console war. Ever.

    NES was less powerful than the Sega Master System and beat it soundly.

    SuperNES was less powerful than the Genesis and beat it, although not as badly as the previous generation.

    The PS1 was less powerful than both the Saturn and the N64 and completely whipped both of them.

    The PS2 was less powerful than the Xbox and it wasn't even close.

    Now that Sony finally has the most horses under the hood, what will happen? Who knows?

    And this isn't just an Xbox fan trying to trash the PS3. I'm just pointing out some facts.

  5. #30

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well the Playstation 3 is definetly a better system than the xbox 360. I just did a project on the ps3 and it is 2 times as powerful as the xbox 360. It was made much better as well. It cost more than $400 more to make the ps3 than the xbox 360 (this is no joke). Technically the ps3 is second to NO ONE!
    Twice as powerful? You've been reading too many Sony propaganda sheets. I guarantee you, that's not even close to the truth. And since when is costing $400 more a good thing? It ends up costing the consumer. YAY!

    Not to mention the reason it's more expensive is the Blu-Ray, and Cell technology. Which is also a big part of the reason it took them so long to release them, and why many of them will break. New technology comes at a cost, literally, and figuratively.

  6. #31
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,171

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Something to keep in mind here, is that the most powerful system available has never won the console war. Ever.

    NES was less powerful than the Sega Master System and beat it soundly.

    SuperNES was less powerful than the Genesis and beat it, although not as badly as the previous generation.

    The PS1 was less powerful than both the Saturn and the N64 and completely whipped both of them.

    The PS2 was less powerful than the Xbox and it wasn't even close.

    Now that Sony finally has the most horses under the hood, what will happen? Who knows?

    And this isn't just an Xbox fan trying to trash the PS3. I'm just pointing out some facts.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure the SNES was more powerful than the Genesis. But that battle ended up being pretty much a wash anyway. The Turbo Graphix-16 was the most powerful of the 16-bit systems.

    There are other powerhouse machines that failed miserably; Jaguar, 3DO, CD-i, Neo-Geo, etc. But they all had one thing in common -- they were either exorbitantly expensive, or they had a a serious lack of quality games (or both, in many cases). I think Sony will be able to overcome the latter, and possibly even the former, considering this is a high definition video game system AND a high definition movie player AND a 60GB computer at a fraction of what it would cost to get each machine seperately.

  7. #32
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,171

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Twice as powerful? You've been reading too many Sony propaganda sheets. I guarantee you, that's not even close to the truth. And since when is costing $400 more a good thing? It ends up costing the consumer. YAY!

    Not to mention the reason it's more expensive is the Blu-Ray, and Cell technology. Which is also a big part of the reason it took them so long to release them, and why many of them will break. New technology comes at a cost, literally, and figuratively.
    In terms of raw technical power, it is indeed twice as powerful as the 360.

    The system cost $400 more to produce, but only $200 more than a 360 to the consumer. Add an HD-DVD drive to the 360 (to offset Sony's Blu-Ray player), and both machines are the same price.

  8. #33
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,171

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well the Playstation 3 is definetly a better system than the xbox 360. I just did a project on the ps3 and it is 2 times as powerful as the xbox 360. It was made much better as well. It cost more than $400 more to make the ps3 than the xbox 360 (this is no joke). Technically the ps3 is second to NO ONE!
    Bear in mind, however, that much (if not all) of that additional $400 cost was due to Blu-Ray technology, which is still exceedingly expensive.

  9. #34
    I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    RoboBoston
    Posts
    829

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    The problem is, the PS4 will be on the market before game produces figure out how to utilize the technology in the PS3 and the average comsumer can afford the TV you need to best take advantage of the graphics.
    Narf!

  10. #35
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,171

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robobtowncolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The problem is, the PS4 will be on the market before game produces figure out how to utilize the technology in the PS3 and the average comsumer can afford the TV you need to best take advantage of the graphics.
    The PS4 will be out, most likely, in 2012 or so. The new upgraded "cell" technology is supposedly going to start surfacing around 2010, which gives Sony a couple years to produce hardware and ship out dev kits.

  11. #36
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,728

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    Agreed on one thing: There needs to be more than a 5-year gap between systems from now on, or the current-gen systems will just go to waste.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  12. #37
    Member efx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,657

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well the Playstation 3 is definetly a better system than the xbox 360. I just did a project on the ps3 and it is 2 times as powerful as the xbox 360. It was made much better as well. It cost more than $400 more to make the ps3 than the xbox 360 (this is no joke). Technically the ps3 is second to NO ONE!
    I'm sorry, but that's just laughable. Don't ever confuse actual performance with paper performance. Looking at how we'll be able to use the hardware the difference will at most be negligible between the ps3 and the 360. So far, talking to people in the business the ps3 is so far a bunch of hype if their opinion is to be believed. It's not a bad machine by any stretch but trying to say that it's 2x more powerful than Y is simple not possible right now.

  13. #38

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    I'm not buying the 2x statement. I'm also unsure if the PS3 may have overstepped it's consumer base with the price and the $2000 TV requirement to fully utilize it. But one thing we should all be able to agree on is that the PS3 is a more powerful system than the 360.

  14. #39
    Member efx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,657

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    On paper yes. And the hardware in it probably adds up to more horsepower wise. But whether people are willing to take advantage of that extra power is dubious at best at a time when development times are already skyrocketing as it is.

  15. #40

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not buying the 2x statement. I'm also unsure if the PS3 may have overstepped it's consumer base with the price and the $2000 TV requirement to fully utilize it. But one thing we should all be able to agree on is that the PS3 is a more powerful system than the 360.
    From what I've read the 360 has a better GPU and has more memory available for actual games however, the PS3 has a better CPU.

    Edit: I can find links if necessary.

  16. #41
    Member efx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,657

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    Foreman, you're essentially right.

    The texture memory is bigger on the 360 for example. One reason why the 360 is so popular for devs this generation around is that the core architecture is essentially a high-end pc, nothing more. So you can take a lot of established conventions of pc-development and apply that to the platform. The Cell is an interesting tech but it's also brand new and so far people I've talked to agree that while it's impressive it's also a ***** to work with.

    I should clarify that I don't have anything against the ps3. It's a fine console but with the 360 doing so well atm I see no reason personally to get one just yet.

  17. #42

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by efx View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sorry, but that's just laughable. Don't ever confuse actual performance with paper performance. Looking at how we'll be able to use the hardware the difference will at most be negligible between the ps3 and the 360. So far, talking to people in the business the ps3 is so far a bunch of hype if their opinion is to be believed. It's not a bad machine by any stretch but trying to say that it's 2x more powerful than Y is simple not possible right now.
    I have to disagree.........






    Description Manufacturer 20 GB 60 GB
    Reality Synthesizer Nvidia (Sony) $129.00 $129.00
    IBM Cell Broadband Engine IBM (Sony) $89.00 $89.00
    I/O Bridge Controller Toshiba (Sony) $59.00 $59.00
    Emotion Engine and Graphics Sythnesizer Toshiba (Sony) $27.00 $27.00
    Noteworthy Memory - XDR DRAM (4 x 512Mbit) Samsung $48.00 $48.00
    Other Components and Manufacturing N/A $148.00 $148.00
    Bluetooth Module Sony, Featuring CSR BlueCore 4 Chip $4.10 $4.10
    Optional 802.11 b/g Module Marvell Chipset N/A $15.50
    Other Components and Manufacturing N/A $2.50 $2.50
    Memory Card Board N/A N/A $5.00
    Blu-Ray Optical Drive Sony $125.00 $125.00
    SATA Hard Drive Seagate $43.00 $54.00
    Power Supply Sony (Private-Label) $37.50 $37.50
    Cooling / Mounting Cage for Motherboard N/A $22.00 $22.00
    Enclosure / Hardware N/A $31.00 $33.00
    Miscellaneous Other Assemblies N/A $1.75 $1.75
    Manufacturing Costs N/A $39.00 $40.00
    Preliminary Total Console Cost Estimate
    $805.85 $840.35
    Suggested Retail Pricing (US)
    $499.00 $599.00





    Difference Between Cost and Retail Price
    $306.85 $241.35
    source: http://blogs.business2.com/utilitybe...loss_is_a.html

    This machine costs so much more than the xbox 360......the motherboard is over $200 more than the xbox 360. Everypart of the playstation 3 is better than the xbox 360. There is no doubt that the ps3 is MUCH more powerful than the xbox 360, but i do question how anyone will take advantage of this power. But most importantly, my arguement is not "laughable"

  18. #43

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to disagree.........

    This machine costs so much more than the xbox 360......the motherboard is over $200 more than the xbox 360. Everypart of the playstation 3 is better than the xbox 360. There is no doubt that the ps3 is MUCH more powerful than the xbox 360, but i do question how anyone will take advantage of this power. But most importantly, my arguement is not "laughable"
    When did price decide how great a product was? The Saturn($400) had a higher launch price than both the PS1($300) and the N64($200), was it "more powerful"? I believe that the bulk of the price difference is the fact that the PS3 has the Cell and the Blu Ray Drive. The Saturn had two CPU's and six other processors, did this make the system better?

  19. #44
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,728

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    Agreed. Your argument is laughable. Price does not equal quality.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  20. #45

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    Yes, you guys are correct.......Sony paid $400 more per unit for poorer quality...I don't know what i was thinking. On paper, it is two times as powerful, and i do understand that the Playstation although more powerful doesn't mean that it will be the more successful system. I would personally get the wii myself. But don't believe me.......I only wrote a 6 page paper on it........

  21. #46
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,171

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    EA said that as of right now, they've only utilized about 20% of the PS3's full potential. That's scary as hell if true.

    Btw, I started messing with mine last night. Cool machine, I can't wait to really get into it and play with the PSP connectivity features.

  22. #47

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    EA said that as of right now, they've only utilized about 20% of the PS3's full potential. That's scary as hell if true.

    Btw, I started messing with mine last night. Cool machine, I can't wait to really get into it and play with the PSP connectivity features.
    The only thing is EA's games haven't been that great on either system(besides Fight Night and maybe Madden).

  23. #48

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by George Foreman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only thing is EA's games haven't been that great on either system(besides Fight Night and maybe Madden).
    You can spin this any way you want, you're only lying to yourself if you think the 360 is an equivalent system to the PS3.

  24. #49
    Bo0MeR
    Guest

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    http://www.gamespot.com/features/616...&click=topslot

    sorry sony fanboys, this is probably the most respectable video gamesite on the internet, and they say 360 graphics are better than ps3 by comparing and contrasting pictures from the multi platform games, look at the pictures for yourselves. 360 > ps3

  25. #50
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,951

    Default Re: Did Anyone Get a PS3?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo0MeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.gamespot.com/features/616...&click=topslot

    sorry sony fanboys, this is probably the most respectable video gamesite on the internet, and they say 360 graphics are better than ps3 by comparing and contrasting pictures from the multi platform games, look at the pictures for yourselves. 360 > ps3
    Helps to read what you post. Not only do they blame developers for being lazy in porting to PS3, as opposed to the hardware itself, they still rule in Sony's favor in some areas.

    I have no dog in this fight, but I can tell you from working at a software company you're just about always going to get a better product on the original platform than on a port (better developers, better resources, better effort.) I'll hold off to see the results of games that were developed for both platforms concurrently.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •