Thread: CNN/SI.Com Article: Change in Store for Pacers -- On Court & in Front Office

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default CNN/SI.Com Article: Change in Store for Pacers -- On Court & in Front Office

Ok, not sure this has been posted yet. IF that's the case then I assume it will be locked.

"Transition game
    Change in store for Pacers -- on court & in front office
    Posted: Friday November 17, 2006 11:21AM; Updated: Friday November 17, 2006 1:19PM

BOSTON -- Jermaine O'Neal came out of the coaches' room Wednesday night wearing a pained, faraway expression as he limped toward the showers. Apparently his postgame meeting with Rick Carlisle, Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird had not gone well. O'Neal's 12 rebounds, five blocks and four assists had been offset by his 3-for-14, eight-point performance and the Pacers' 114-88 loss to the moribund Celtics.

"We may have to shuffle the deck,'' Carlisle said, speculating on more trades after a year of player movement in Indiana. "Maybe these pieces don't fit together. I think they can, but we've got to bring passion, we've got to bring commitment, we've got to bring unselfishness. Otherwise you'll get your *** kicked in this league.''

The Pacers are in all phases of transition. Carlisle was forced to bring in two new assistants while negotiating his contract extension last summer. At the urging of Walsh and Bird, he has been installing an up-tempo offense to suit the open-court abilities of point guard Jamaal Tinsley as well as the eight newcomers on the roster. Heading into Friday's game against visiting New Jersey, the Pacers were in the bottom six in scoring (94.4 points) and shooting (42.4 percent). "Rick's got to find the right combinations,'' Bird said, noting that several Pacers were playing poorly.

Once those problems are solved, the biggest transition of all may be on the way. "I come to the end of my contract this year,'' acknowledged Walsh, the team president and CEO who has been running the Pacers for 21 years. "The owners haven't talked to me, I haven't talked to them. And that isn't a negotiating ploy.''

Bird arrived as president of basketball operations in 2003 to learn from Walsh and eventually take over for him. Would he be ready to handle total control if Walsh leaves after this season?

"Yes, without a doubt,'' Walsh said. "In most of the areas he was ready when he came here. As far as what I would call the logistics of the job, I think the last three years he's been with me he's seen everything he has to see. And anything he doesn't feel comfortable doing, he can hire a guy to do.''

That would represent a change in approach from Walsh's tenure. "But I've got a different background than he does,'' Walsh said. "I'm a lawyer, I was a player, so it was a good combination. So I did it my way. My way was involvement in everything. There are other ways of doing it, where you're sitting on the top and you've got guys doing things for you and bringing things to you, and then you make the decision. When the time comes, he'll make the decision. I think he's perfectly qualified to do that.''

Walsh acknowledged that he was drained by the ordeal of moving Ron Artest last season. Rivals considered his two-month handling of the Artest trade talks a masterpiece of negotiation as he patiently waited as the price went up, enabling him to land former All-Star Peja Stojakovic from Sacramento in the exchange. (When Stojakovic signed with the Hornets last summer, Walsh essentially replaced him by bringing back Al Harrington from Atlanta in what turned out to be another complicated trade.)

"Once I made the decision that we are trading him -- because he stood up and said he wanted to be traded -- I knew that it was probably going to be one of the toughest things I ever did,'' Walsh said of Artest. "Because everybody out there would figure, well, you can get him for nothing. I knew it was going to take a long time. I had to get out there with everybody in the league and just find out who was interested, have patience that as teams' situations changed that they'd look and maybe see the situation for trading for him in a real trade.

"The trading deadline was a real deadline for me because had we gotten past the trading deadline and we didn't play him, then it would have really accentuated everything. So I looked at it like, I have to make this trade before the trade deadline. No matter what I was saying [publicly], that was my feeling.''

Patience is one of the qualities that has separated Walsh from rivals who often don't feel secure enough to wait out the bad times.

"I hear people say that,'' Walsh said. "But when you're on the inside of it, you're just trying to do the right thing. And you know you can't just give this guy away, so you have to ignore what everyone else is saying for a while and just go. And take the time, and if you don't do it be willing to take whatever criticism you're going to get. I figured, I'm the one who traded for him, I got us in it, so I had to get us out of it.

"It was every day, all day,'' Walsh said, referring to the calls he fielded and made in trying to drive up Artest's value. "It really was. And our team wasn't playing well. I didn't like the way our team played nor did I like the way they interacted. That's the first team in a long time that I can say I didn't like it. Which is why we changed it this summer.''

The job isn't over yet. Walsh may not feel comfortable leaving the Pacers until the team is headed in the right direction. He may have to make another trade or two before handing control over to Bird.

"I just want to make sure that this team gets back to where it should be as far as playing,'' he said. "I'm not talking about winning championships yet or not, because we're early in the season. But playing and being the kind of team you can be proud of, that's what I'm looking for.''

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ith/index.html

Source: CNNSI.Com

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Default Re: CNN/SI.Com Article: Change in Store for Pacers -- On Court & in Front Office

This team still doesn't fit together well. It's in better shape now than it was a year ago, but there's still moves that need to be made.

Default Re: CNN/SI.Com Article: Change in Store for Pacers -- On Court & in Front Office

I'm not surprised or discouraged...did anyone think we were done changing stuff?

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Walsh
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "I just want to make sure that this team gets back to where it should be as far as playing.''
    "I'm not talking about winning championships yet or not, because we're early in the season. But playing and being the kind of team you can be proud of, that's what I'm looking for.''
    The simple fact that Donnie is acknowledging this fact says enough for me. He is still not happy with the current make-up of this team, or the personalities for that matter. He wouldn't have said something like this otherwise. I'm looking forward to seeing what changes lie ahead.

Banned

If you read between the lines, he is saying stay tuned for page two.

"We may have to shuffle the deck,'' Carlisle said, speculating on more trades after a year of player movement in Indiana. "Maybe these pieces don't fit together. I think they can, but we've got to bring passion, we've got to bring commitment, we've got to bring unselfishness. Otherwise you'll get your *** kicked in this league.''
    Other articles had this quote pertaining to changing the starting lineup, not speculating on trades. Other than that it was an interesting article.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteone View Post
    If you read between the lines, he is saying stay tuned for page two.
    Of course, they said that over the summer as well.

Plenty of ATHLETES in the LEAGURE

Quite a few GOOD SHOOTERS as well

Funny how the Pacers seem to shy away from those types of players.

Simple enough, with the new style of play in the NBA

1) get athletes

2) get shooters

PACER SLOW BALL is DEAD

IT's BORINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Simple as that

This could mean lineup changes or a trade. I think that the issue more than anything is that Jermaine wants the ball on the low block more. The way the Pacers go about solving his issue is welll....unknown still.

If they are talking trades, they are easier said than done for one thing. Especially if you are talking about trading a player like Jermaine, with his skills, contract, and injury problems. It will be tough to find a perfect match.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

in the 3rd quarter against the Nets...O'Neal was able to get some decent touches in the low block...and the Pacers flourished.

come 4th quarter....it was nowhere to be seen....

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    in the 3rd quarter against the Nets...O'Neal was able to get some decent touches in the low block...and the Pacers flourished.

come 4th quarter....it was nowhere to be seen....
    Quick question since I was unable to see it...who was te gaurd getting him the ball in the 3rd? Same as in the 4th?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

They tried to go to JO in the 4th, but he just didn't deliver

(repost) After how many games is it appropriate to stop calling it a slump and start calling it a bad player?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    (repost) After how many games is it appropriate to stop calling it a slump and start calling it a bad player?
    Which player do you keep talking about?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Which player do you keep talking about?
    I'd like to remain subtle...I think you will guess correctly if you were to simply take a shot (or five) in the dark...

Banned

I know this will go over like a turd in a punch bowl, but I wouldn't be upset to see Stephon Marbury in a Pacer uniform, provided he came at the right price ( some combo of Tinsley/Jackson/Saras). Say what you want about him, but he was great in Phoenix and I think he'd be great here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    I know this will go over like a turd in a punch bowl, but I wouldn't be upset to see Stephon Marbury in a Pacer uniform, provided he came at the right price ( some combo of Tinsley/Jackson/Saras). Say what you want about him, but he was great in Phoenix and I think he'd be great here too.
    Maybe we could trade Isiah for Rick too! Abso-****ing-lutely ridiculous...

Just kidding...I actually like this idea, or something like it...Marbury has been treated rough by the media for a long time (and indeed he deserves it from time to time), but he's still a capable player at this stage of his career...my only real concern with this scenario is that the Knicks have little incentive to make this trade, because they already have plenty of PG's and SG's sitting on the bench, you know what I mean?