Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two Players Forever Linked: Tony Parker and Jamaal Tinsley

Default Re: Two Players Forever Linked: Tony Parker and Jamaal Tinsley

Well, right now Tony just has the skills and speed. He doesn't have the long lasting game that Mark Jackson or John Stockton had, yet. Those one on one scoring PGs only last for a few years before their bodies slow them down to ineffectivenss.

But dang, the kid's got amazing offensive skills. He has the crossover down as well as anyone and can hit the long range jumper, and he has Jamison Brewer type speed.

Ya, yer right. Tony really is playing some great ball right now. And right now is what matters.

I really think the Pacers or Detroit would not allow him to score like that with those drives though. He would get fouled alot or have his teardrops blocked by the help defense. He might make 15 pts from the line, but no easy buckets. Not to promote dirty play or anything, but you cant let little guards in the lane like that, you gotta try to block... hard

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I try to not look at who the Pacers could've gotten instead of Tinsley, because he was still a very nice bargain for the 27'TH PICK. It's like complaining about getting a Jaguar over a Viper and paying $10,000 for the car, both are still cheap for the price.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I try to not look at who the Pacers could've gotten instead of Tinsley, because he was still a very nice bargain for the 27'TH PICK. It's like complaining about getting a Jaguar over a Viper and paying $10,000 for the car, both are still cheap for the price.
    That's a very good point, at the time of the draft Tinsley was a steal and still is. Who would have thought Parker would be this good this fast. I think the Spurs got really lucky with a pick, that at the time looked like a reach.

Tinsley is a true pass first point guard and there are not many left in the league, so IMO it's hard to compare or a rate him against other PG's. Nobody can deny that the Pacer offense runs better with Tinsley at PG, I not sure it would run as smooth with a shoot first PG.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's a very good point, at the time of the draft Tinsley was a steal and still is. Who would have thought Parker would be this good this fast. I think the Spurs got really lucky with a pick, that at the time looked like a reach.

Tinsley is a true pass first point guard and there are not many left in the league, so IMO it's hard to compare or a rate him against other PG's. Nobody can deny that the Pacer offense runs better with Tinsley at PG, I not sure it would run as smooth with a shoot first PG.
    I want to hear ONE person in this forum say, "We'd be a worse team with Parker at PG." Just ONE of you, thats all I need..

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tinsley is a true pass first point guard and there are not many left in the league, so IMO it's hard to compare or a rate him against other PG's. Nobody can deny that the Pacers offense runs better with Tinsley at PG, I not sure it would run as smooth with a shoot first PG.
    I want to hear ONE person in this forum say, "We'd be a worse team with Parker at PG." Just ONE of you, thats all I need..
    I didn't say I wouldn't swap Tinsley for Parker, Parker is obviously a better player. We have a lot of guys that need shots and our good chemistry is one of the main reasons we have the record we do. If we had a shoot first PG other changes would most likely have to be made to maintain a proper balance.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

We'd be a worse team with Parker at PG.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Has this season changed anybody's opinions?

Nope, I still love Jamaal. He reminds me a lot of Mark Jackson...

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tony Parker would be making a much more positive contribution right now than Jamaal is. But I guess you could say that every time the playoffs roll around.

I think we all know your feelings about Jamaal's injuries.......no need for ancient thread bumping.......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

we'd be worse off still if Raul Lopez, Joe Forte, or Kirk Haston had "slid down" to our pick late in round 1. Or DaSagne Diop for that matter. What a lot of busts in that draft.

Not that Raul Lopez is a bust-- he is decent, but I cited him since he was the only PG taken before JT.

teY dennaB toN

He asked if this season had changed my feelings.

Now that the (regular) season is over, I can weigh in.

I'll post whenever I feel like it. You don't know me. I do what I want. I ran for Congress and won. Whateva.

You're a weird dude, Btown.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I'll post whenever I feel like it. You don't know me. I do what I want. I ran for Congress and won. Whateva.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

ImCrazyB

Parker isn't a better long-range or even mid range shooter then Tinsley in my opinion..But he is definitely quicker then Tinsley and can get to the rim better. I think they have the same ball handling skills..Of course I only got to see what Tinsleys full arsenal was for that short period of time he was leading our only 6 players. I never realized the guy could cross people over the way he was doing some people.

In my opinion, If Tinsley had been healthy he would have easily been a top candidate for the Most Improved player of the year. I remember when he started out the year, he was averaging 9-12 assists a game. After November 19th passed along with all of his best shooters, His assists dropped and his points went up.

But I'm drifting away from the subject, Parker and Tinsley at the moment are kind of even..It's just Parker gets alot more publicity.