Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Players Forever Linked: Tony Parker and Jamaal Tinsley

Default Two Players Forever Linked: Tony Parker and Jamaal Tinsley

That Parker is a decent player, isn't he?

On ESPN last night, one of the guys said that Parker is a top-5 PG in the NBA. I wouldn't go anywhere near that far, but there's no doubt that right now, Parker would definately be picked over Tinsley. Any argument?

So here's my question: will Tinsley ever be a better player than Parker? If not, then what about a better fit for this Pacer team?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: Two Players Forever Linked: Tony Parker and Jamaal Tinsley

Parker is only 21.

He is quick and can penetrate

He can shoot the ball from the outside and has a nice little floater

Right now I would love to have Parker on this team. If we had him, I don't think anyone would question us coming out of the east.

Parker is a better PG than Tinsley and would be a better fit for this team but he is a Spur.

Wouldn't it be funny if Parker tourched Tinsley in the Finals

It is only a matter of time before Tinsley becomes the superior player. IMHO, Tins has much better court vision and is more of a quarterback then parker will ever be. All he needs to do is develop a consistent shot and wait for parker to get old and slow down. Give it 12 years and there won't be a contest.

It is only a matter of time before Tinsley becomes the superior player. IMHO, Tins has much better court vision and is more of a quarterback then parker will ever be.
    See, that's been my knock against Parker... he's been excellent at a lot of things, and he can create, but he had a hard time running the offense. It really looks like he's improved at that this year.

All he needs to do is develop a consistent shot and wait for parker to get old and slow down. Give it 12 years and there won't be a contest.
    This is where you lost me. Are you being sarcastic?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tony is a top-5 PG in the NBA. I made that determination after watching him play 50 or so times this year, and he has IMPROVED since then. He's led a team to a title. At this rate, he'll be an all-star for the next TEN seasons, starting next year. And he's only 21 years old.

Look, I like Tinsley. He's shown me some improvement this year. But Parker is a better player. He's better than %95 of the PGs in the NBA, and soon he will be the BEST PG in the NBA. Tim Duncan may be the MVP of the Spurs, but make no mistake: Parker runs the team. He yells at everyone-even TIM DUNCAN- when they begin to break a play. Tony can shoot from the outside, post up, play defense, and he's arguably the quickest player in the league.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Tony is a top-5 PG in the NBA. I made that determination after watching him play 50 or so times this year, and he has IMPROVED since then. He's led a team to a title. At this rate, he'll be an all-star for the next TEN seasons, starting next year. And he's only 21 years old.

Look, I like Tinsley. He's shown me some improvement this year. But Parker is a better player. He's better than %95 of the PGs in the NBA, and soon he will be the BEST PG in the NBA. Tim Duncan may be the MVP of the Spurs, but make no mistake: Parker runs the team. He yells at everyone-even TIM DUNCAN- when they begin to break a play. Tony can shoot from the outside, post up, play defense, and he's arguably the quickest player in the league.
    I agree 100%. No one can stay with Parker off the dribble. He is still only 21

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

On ESPN last night, one of the guys said that Parker is a top-5 PG in the NBA. I wouldn't go anywhere near that far...
    Who's better?

OMG, Kstat...I agree with you COMPLETELY. Remember, Parker was HORRID early in the year, and so were the Spurs. As Parker and Duncan go, so does San Antonio.

Does anyone else see a lot of Foster in Nesterovic?

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Good Post Kstat and I agree

Yup. It's just so strange saying he's "French" and a "winner" in the same sentence.

It is only a matter of time before Tinsley becomes the superior player. IMHO, Tins has much better court vision and is more of a quarterback then parker will ever be.
    See, that's been my knock against Parker... he's been excellent at a lot of things, and he can create, but he had a hard time running the offense. It really looks like he's improved at that this year.

All he needs to do is develop a consistent shot and wait for parker to get old and slow down. Give it 12 years and there won't be a contest.
    sorry, shoulda used some smilies. Parker's main advantage over Tins is the quickness. Not a knock on JT since parker is quicker the most in the NBA. Parker is super quick and creates quite well. The one downside is he doesn't run the offense like Tins can and that is why i think Tinsley will have a longer career. once parker's quickenss goes (granted this will be several years down the road) tinsley has him beat in the mental game. I look at Tinsley to be just like Mark jackson (during his last years here) in a couple of years:unathletic but with great vision and command of the offense.

Of course, this is not to say parker can't improve considerably. I mean, the kid is 21 and still has plenty of upside. I just feel that great court vision is more innate and difficult to learn and this is why i give tinsley the edge in the long run.

sorry, shoulda used some smilies. Parker's main advantage over Tins is the quickness. Not a knock on JT since parker is quicker the most in the NBA. Parker is super quick and creates quite well. The one downside is he doesn't run the offense like Tins can and that is why i think Tinsley will have a longer career. once parker's quickenss goes (granted this will be several years down the road) tinsley has him beat in the mental game. I look at Tinsley to be just like Mark jackson (during his last years here) in a couple of years:unathletic but with great vision and command of the offense.

Of course, this is not to say parker can't improve considerably. I mean, the kid is 21 and still has plenty of upside. I just feel that great court vision is more innate and difficult to learn and this is why i give tinsley the edge in the long run.
    If you watched the game today you wouldn't be saying that. The Lakers had the Spurs down 7 in the 4th quarter. Where did the Spurs go the first THREE posessions? Parker. Once on a jumper, once on a drive, and once on a POST MOVE. The defining play of the game was when the spurs were up four, and Parker called a play. Duncan was on the wrong side of the floor. Parker screams at Duncan- mind you, the MVP OF THE LEAGUE- repeatedly. Duncan sets one pick, hands off to parker, parker draws both defenders on a drive and finds Duncan WIDE OPEN for a jumper.

At that point I gave up looking for faults in Parkers game. The kid at age 21 is the LEADER of an NBA champion, and he's the age of the average college senior. His basketball IQ is as good as anyone in the HISTORY of the NBA at that age.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

On ESPN last night, one of the guys said that Parker is a top-5 PG in the NBA. I wouldn't go anywhere near that far...
    Who's better?
    1. Jason Kidd. No argument there, right?
    2. Starbury. I'm not a big fan, but they went head-to-head last year and Stephon was clearly the better player. Yeah, New York played like crap, but they don't have a coach, Tim Duncan, or a training camp. If I was making a team, I'd pick Parker first, but it's because he'd be a better fit for the kind of team I'd make. I think Steph is the better player.
    3. Gary Payton. Despite the poor play so far this postseason, I've got to give the Glove some love. He should never have signed with the Lakers, but he's still the player he has been in years past. DPOY, and was able to carry his team offensively for years.
    4. Baron Davis. Yeah, he looked terrible today, but he's running on a bad wheel. He was being mentioned as an MVP candidate earlier in the season.
    5. Chauncey Billups. Don't tell Kstat.

There's also SamIAm, Bibby, and Nash that I'd put ahead of Parker. After him would come J.Will, Franchise, Arenas, NVE, and Tinsley.

This is off the top of my head... did I miss anybody important? Heinrich in Chicago, Wade in Miami, and Banks in Boston are pretty promising.

Nobody (besides Achilles) has answered my real question, however... will Tinsley ever catch up to Parker? Will we still be wishing we'd drafted Parker five years from now?

Enjoy your time at PD!

Who's better?
    1. Jason Kidd. No argument there, right?
    2. Starbury. I'm not a big fan, but they went head-to-head last year and Stephon was clearly the better player. Yeah, New York played like crap, but they don't have a coach, Tim Duncan, or a training camp. If I was making a team, I'd pick Parker first, but it's because he'd be a better fit for the kind of team I'd make. I think Steph is the better player.
    3. Gary Payton. Despite the poor play so far this postseason, I've got to give the Glove some love. He should never have signed with the Lakers, but he's still the player he has been in years past. DPOY, and was able to carry his team offensively for years.
    4. Baron Davis. Yeah, he looked terrible today, but he's running on a bad wheel. He was being mentioned as an MVP candidate earlier in the season.
    5. Chauncey Billups. Don't tell Kstat.

There's also SamIAm, Bibby, and Nash that I'd put ahead of Parker. After him would come J.Will, Franchise, Arenas, NVE, and Tinsley.

This is off the top of my head... did I miss anybody important? Heinrich in Chicago, Wade in Miami, and Banks in Boston are pretty promising.

Nobody (besides Achilles) has answered my real question, however... will Tinsley ever catch up to Parker? Will we still be wishing we'd drafted Parker five years from now?
    1. Jason Kidd-agreed.

2. Marbury- if the guy had shown ANY amount of leadership in his entire life, I'd agree. But he hasn't, so I don't. He can't make his teamates better. No matter how good os a shotmaker he is, he'll never be a top-5 PG for that reason.

3. Payton- Parker owned payton as a 19-year old ROOKIE in the playoffs two years ago. He went into Seattle, without duncan, and just killed Payton in the clinching game. I don't think Payton has outplayed Parker once in his entire CAREER. Not to mention Payton is way over the hill now.

4. Baron Davis- I cant stand the sonofa***** but I can't say he's not better than Parker, or at least on the same level. He needs to get more under control, but right now Baron is more talented. He's taking on Miami almost single-handidly at times it seems.

5. Billups- Parker is better, and after saying that I'm going to go throw up now. Parker can't guard Billups, but the reverse is true also, and Parker is a better playmaker.

As for Bibby and Nash, neither of them are capable of holding the chair I'm sitting in under 20 points. I'm astonished you left Cassell off your list. He has been the best PG in the NBA over the course of the season.

My top-5 list, in no real order:

Kidd, Parker, Cassell, Davis and Bibby.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

last year, when speedy claxton was often spelling parker in critical moments, i wouldn't have said so (despite tinsley's own horrible showing). now, well, parker has been amazing. he's really been doing everything you could want from your pg.

so my answer is yes, we would probably would end up wishing we've drafted parker. don't get me wrong, tinsley was a great pick at his draft position, but parker is turning out to be even better.

I'm astonished you left Cassell off your list. He has been the best PG in the NBA over the course of the season.
    Yeah, it was a tossup. He was #6.

Starbury showed an awful lot of "leadership" and "make your teammates better" last year, remember? He definately outplayed Parker in that series.

The man needs a coach with an offensive strategy. Wilkens is a short step up from chopped liver.

I'm shocked that you put Parker ahead of Billups, but if you say so I'm not going to disagree.

Enjoy your time at PD!

ya, the kid has all the skills, and he is getting better at his decision making and running the team with each game he plays. He is still young and can lose his confidence easily, but all this talk of him as a top 5 PG is surely a big boost. We'll see how he performs when his jumper isn't falling and the lane is closed.

Maybe I'm biased toward the playoffs, but I'd take Parker over any of those guys except Kidd. He's the number 2 point guard in the league. Forget about the stats. He's got what it takes when it counts. Gary Payton has gotten old, and Bibby may be Parker's equal because he also brings it when his team needs it the most.

If Pacers and Spurs were to meet in the finals, we would realize just how big of a weakness Tinsley's defense actually is.

ya, the kid has all the skills, and he is getting better at his decision making and running the team with each game he plays. He is still young and can lose his confidence easily, but all this talk of him as a top 5 PG is surely a big boost. We'll see how he performs when his jumper isn't falling and the lane is closed.
    "We'll see how ______ isn't doing when his jumper isn't falling and the lane is closed"

Um, do you have any idea how general of a statement that is? You could say that about ANYONE.....

and if you think Tony is intimidated by ANYONE at this point, you're sorely mistaken.....he's already been through everything an NBA player can go through.

hey hop off my fender kstat

I was making a point on how young he is and how his confidence is not as solid as say JKidd. Go nitpick someone elses thread

hey hop off my fender kstat

I was making a point on how young he is and how his confidence is not as solid as say JKidd. Go nitpick someone elses thread

Actually, I would think Parker would have MORE confidence than Kidd at this point. I mean, after all, Parker can SHOOT.......

You know what's scary? The Spurs have like $10 million in CAP room next year. And that's without the mid-level exemption. There is serious talk of trying to get a Kobe or TMac THERE next year. You have to think Kidd is kicking himself right about now.

On top of that, none of their starters have turned 30 yet. In fact, if you get rid of Horry and Willis, they are one of the youngest teams in the league.

How's this for a long range prediction: Spurs are going to represent the west in the finals -- for 2005.

2. Marbury- if the guy had shown ANY amount of leadership in his entire life, I'd agree. But he hasn't, so I don't. He can't make his teamates better. No matter how good os a shotmaker he is, he'll never be a top-5 PG for that reason.
    Yeah, but didn't Marbury own Parker in the playoffs last year?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Yeah, but didn't Marbury own Parker in the playoffs last year?
    Playing for a shiny new contract extension does wonderufl things for your career.
    True, true. Just look at Marcus Camby.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

The defining play of the game was when the spurs were up four, and Parker called a play. Duncan was on the wrong side of the floor. Parker screams at Duncan- mind you, the MVP OF THE LEAGUE- repeatedly. Duncan sets one pick, hands off to parker, parker draws both defenders on a drive and finds Duncan WIDE OPEN for a jumper.

At that point I gave up looking for faults in Parkers game. The kid at age 21 is the LEADER of an NBA champion, and he's the age of the average college senior. His basketball IQ is as good as anyone in the HISTORY of the NBA at that age.
    Not to nitpick, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tim Duncan and I could successfuly run a pick and roll if shaq is defending.

Also, I think LeBron has much higher BBall IQ and he's a couple of years younger the parker. Not to mention Magic, Isiah, and others before my time like Oscar Robertson, Cousy, etc.