Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 168

Thread: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

  1. #101

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK, after reading that, it doesn't sound SO bad. We thought JO would be able to revert to JO the younger, but I guess that JO he is what he is. Oh well.

    The most depressing thing in the whole preview?
    "The Pacers have been outscored by 71 points with Jamaal Tinsley on the floor."

    If it was Jasikevicius, there would be 10 threads already about how he *****.


    Edit: Jasikevicius must be 3 times better than others to have a chance to be treated equally. I call it prejudice.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."

    - Albert Einstein

  2. #102
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,520

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    JO may want the ball in the low post more, but I am not sure he's actually more effective there than the way he's been utilized so far this year.

    Whatever the case, I don't think it amounts to a hill of beans as far as the team's development. I don't think we'll be significantly better just b/c JO gets more of his shots on the block. This sounds more like a JO thing than a team thing to me.

    Fine if he wants to voice his opinion on it but a rather cosmetic thing in the big picture. Doesn't change the fact of who he's playing with or the continuing tranformation of the group as a whole. I might go so far as to say Al is equally as good or better than JO as a post up threat now days.

  3. #103

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    Quote Originally Posted by Pitons View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not every time Saras or other "scrub" plays there are no Pierce or other "not scrub" on the court. But let's say yes - "not scrubs" play against "not scrubs" and "scrubs" play against "scrubs".

    So when Saras with other "scrubs" play against other teams "scrubs", the team somehow usually cempetes. His +/- with Boston was +2. His +/- is +11 overall.

    And when for example Tinsley was on the court with other "not scrubs", the team against other teams "not scrubs" didn't even compete. His +/- stat was -28. And he has the lowest +/- on the team -71. Doesn't it mean that when Tinsley was on the court, the team usually looked horrible (team average -28)?

    And I don't say that Saras would play better if he would play instead of Tinsley. But I see only one thing - when Tinsley is on the floor, the team usually doesn't compete with others.

    But nobody talks about how Tinsley played bad in Boston (Did you see 1 of his turnovers? That could be the turnover of the year. Did you see some of his shots from desperate situations created only by himself?). Everybody only sees how Saras or Foster are bad. Though they with other "scrubs" usually compete while some of our starters can't compete with other teams starters yet.

    So where is the problem? Bench which competes with other teams bench or some starters, who can't do that with other teams starters?
    hear hear
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

  4. #104

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    Quote Originally Posted by Pitons View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "The Pacers have been outscored by 71 points with Jamaal Tinsley on the floor."

    If it was Jasikevicius, there would be 10 threads already about how he *****.
    YEAH
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

  5. #105
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,623

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    "JO Needs to get into the paint more, that's where his strengths lay"

    "JO needs to play more in the low post, he can wreck that team on his own there, I wonder why he is not playing lower"


    Want to know who these quotes are from ?


    Slick Leonard

    cheers
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  6. #106
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    7,984

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JO may want the ball in the low post more, but I am not sure he's actually more effective there than the way he's been utilized so far this year.
    I didn't get this either, yes he needs to draw fouls, yes he needs to utilized his quickness and athleticism, but there was about 5 low post shots I can remember against Boston 2 got stuffed in his face and 3 were altered or they would have been stuffed in his face. How can you say I need the ball in the low post more after shooting terrible in that Boston game. I appreciate a guy wanting to be the man, but um, what did he want 40 shots so he could make 5.

    Olawakandi and freakin Kendrick Perkins made him look bad that night, hurt his feelings and he had to react defensive to save face, thats my take.

  7. #107
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,748

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "JO Needs to get into the paint more, that's where his strengths lay"

    "JO needs to play more in the low post, he can wreck that team on his own there, I wonder why he is not playing lower"


    Want to know who these quotes are from ?


    Slick Leonard

    cheers
    Thank you.

    JO is our franchise guy. We are so underappreciating him. I can't believe this. We have one of few dominant big men in the league and he can never seem to do right with some of you. I am sure that in every game thread you will find someone yelling out "why is JO taking so many jumpers!" or "JO needs to get to the line more!" Well...JO is trying to fix that...he is the leader of this team after alll (as well as its most effective player).

  8. #108
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    Euro friends,

    We've had numerous discussions at PD of the pitfalls of individual player +/- (especially the one as reported by Pacers.com) over the years.

    I even built a database to track five-man +/- on here a few seasons ago (I think a lot of that was "lost in the fire" however.) Since then, 82games.com has signficantly expanded its use of five-man +/-, which is the ONLY meaningful basketball stat in my opinion (the only time I look at a box score is to see if there is numerical evidence to corroborate something I've observed during a game, or I'll glance at the box-score on my way to the offical play-by-play).

    I'd love to take the time to pick apart individual +/- on an item by item basis, but I just don't have time to do it again.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  9. #109
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,970

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    I'm not bashing anyone, but I must admit I've lost a lot of faith in JO's ability to be successful in the low post. I like when he faces up and drives to the basket, or when he gets an open 12 footer on a pick and pop. Yes post up some, but that IMO should only be about 1/3 of his attempts. He and the coaches need to mix it up and how and where he gets the ball and then he needs to change his tactics after he gets the ball.

    As soon as JO shoots the ball I can with about 80% certainly know if the balls going in or not. If he fades on his jump shot the ball will hit the front of the rim, if he doesn't go up fast and strong on his turnaround, he'll get his shot blocked.

  10. #110
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    I like JO better in the low post when he's using speed, or speed and power. But we've seen that he's not as good at just bowling over defenders, like the other O'Neal.

    That's why, IMO, he lost a little bit of weight. Not so that Rick could use him on the wing as if he's Rik Smits redux. And that's what they've been doing.

    He's damned if he says anything (he's just been selfish) and damned if he doesn't (he's playing soft). Rick put him in a no-win situation, as far as Pacers Digest PR goes.

    Give him a break.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  11. #111

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    There are two things about JO, I've been thinking for a long time:

    1. I think he's the kind of player who needs a 'dirty worker' in the post beside him. JO is not a rebounding machine. You need to pair him with a PF/center who is an excellent defender & rebounder. A beast in the paint. That's why I've been saying in the summer we need to get Ben Wallace here. That was a one time opportunity.
    It might sound crazy, but considering our roster, I think it would be a nice try to pair him with Baston, and tell Maceo to concentrate on the defensive tasks. This is a low post that is a defensive threat to anyone, except maybe against a team with big men in both positions.

    2. JO has aspirations to be a leader both on and out of court, but its quite obvious after these few last years that he is not dominant enough in the locker room. By enough, I'm referring to the ability to get his team to play consistently as a team. Each time the guys play for each other we are looking like a solid playoff team. But they just can't seem to keep it up. This lack of consistency strikes me as a clear lack of locker room leadership. This is also a responsibility of the coach of course.

  12. #112

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Euro friends,

    We've had numerous discussions at PD of the pitfalls of individual player +/- (especially the one as reported by Pacers.com) over the years.

    I even built a database to track five-man +/- on here a few seasons ago (I think a lot of that was "lost in the fire" however.) Since then, 82games.com has signficantly expanded its use of five-man +/-, which is the ONLY meaningful basketball stat in my opinion (the only time I look at a box score is to see if there is numerical evidence to corroborate something I've observed during a game, or I'll glance at the box-score on my way to the offical play-by-play).

    I'd love to take the time to pick apart individual +/- on an item by item basis, but I just don't have time to do it again.
    I glance at Pacers Top Five-Man Floor Units (http://www.82games.com/0607/0607IND2.HTM) and our first unit (plays 55 % of all time) Tinsley-Jackson-Granger-Harrington-O'Neal isn't performing well yet (42,8 % wins (3/4)). Other two units Tinsley-Daniels-Jackson-Harrington-O'Neal (17 min) and Tinsley-Jackson-Granger-O'Neal-Foster even worse (14 min) (25 % wins each (1/3). Tinsley-Jackson-Granger-Harrington-Foster - 0 % wins (0/2) (9 minutes of play).

    That's our main units which usually fight against main other teams units. That's the top force of our team.

    Other units get to play only from 6 minutes to 8.

    The most effective units are
    Jasikevicius-Marshall-Powell-Granger-Harrison (8 min) and Armstrong-Jasikevicius-Daniels-Harrington-Harrison (6 min) with one win and no losses each. Then Armstrong-Daniels-Jackson-O'Neal-Foster unit - 2 W 1 L (8 min). Then Tinsley-Daniels-Jackson-O'Neal-Foster (8 min) and Jasikevicius-Daniels-Marshall-Harrington-Foster (8 min) (1/1) and Armstrong-Jasikevicius-Daniels-Harrington-Foster (1/3 7 min).

    Wins = number of games a unit outscored its opponents while on the court
    Losses = number of games a unit was outscored by its opponents while on the court


    So I say our top units definitely aren't performing well yet. They should because they play the longest time and should feel each other better (should be better teamwork). You can't expect bench units who usually play against other teams bench to do miracles in 7 minutes.

    And I think that players +/- is useful also. That don't necessary mean if one player is better than other in the team, but it shows how the team performs at the moment he's on the floor in different units. Yes, for example if he has +10 in one unit in same playing time and - 10 in same time in other in one game, his +/- will be 0. While units +/- shows one units effectiveness (but in that unit play 5 players and one is more effective than others and plays better, but +/- is the average of all players in that unit. There have to be each players deep analysis how well they performed in the unit, to find out who performs best and who worst and maybe there's a need to change one player let's say and this unit will be even more effective), players +/- shows effectiveness in different units overall. That's like to take out a player from all the units he played and see how he's performed with all those units relatively.



    There have to be each players analysis in each unit to find out in which units the player plays better and also what units with him play better and with what players we can make the most effective units. Players and units +/- alone don't tell us very much.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."

    - Albert Einstein

  13. #113
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    40
    Posts
    726

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    JO can still be one of the top post players... he seems to be struggling a little with footwork. I think he's gotten called for a travel at least once every game when he's in a back to the basket situation. He tends to take a little bunny hop as he goes into a move...which he used to get away with, but they're calling him early this year and i think its gotten to his head a little.

    Anyway he still has great low post skills.... he just needs a refresher course so to speak. He needs to swallow a little pride and work on some basic footwork, work some pump fakes in...up and unders...and finish with the left more which he does very well... then once he in a rhythm go to the jump shots and fadeaways.

  14. #114

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    Quote Originally Posted by Pitons View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you see 1 of his turnovers? That could be the turnover of the year.
    Was it worse than Sarunas Jasikevicius inbounding off the backboard?

  15. #115

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was it worse than Sarunas Jasikevicius inbounding off the backboard?
    But why Saras turnover is the turnover of the year and nobody sees Tinsley turnovers?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."

    - Albert Einstein

  16. #116
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    14,847
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank you.

    JO is our franchise guy. We are so underappreciating him. I can't believe this. We have one of few dominant big men in the league and he can never seem to do right with some of you. I am sure that in every game thread you will find someone yelling out "why is JO taking so many jumpers!" or "JO needs to get to the line more!" Well...JO is trying to fix that...he is the leader of this team after alll (as well as its most effective player).

    I'm sorry Rexnom but when is the last time JO "dominated" any player or team let alone being one of the most dominating in the league? I just don't see it at all. When I think of dominating PF's I think of McAdoo and Malone...not JO.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

  17. #117
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,497

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    After sleeping on this whole brouhaha I'm fine with ending the 'JO as a Pacer' era.

    It's time to move on for both parties.

    -Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  18. #118
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    Well, there's obviously a reason coaches pick who starts and who doesn't.

    Our starting lineup right now is not competing well against other team's starters. We don't even need a five-man +/- to figure that out, its painfully obvious.

    Let's see, JO has missed a lot of games because of injury over the past two seasons, but he's still our best player so its worth the investment.

    Al has missed a bunch of Pacers games over the past two seasons, because he was playing somewhere else. But he's still our second-best player so its worth the investment.

    Danny is a second-year player and first year starter. There's still a long learning curve for Danny but its worth the investment.

    Tinsley is far and away our best guard, even with his defensive limitations, but he's missed a bunch of games with injury over the past two years. Worth the investment unless we make a blockbuster trade to upgrade that position.

    SJax is the only real "holdover" in the starting lineup, but he was brought here to be a sixth man and he's still learning how to not dominate the ball (which would actually be okay for him to do if he were playing with the second unit, but its not okay when he's playing with the starters).

    Does anybody in their right mind really think things would be better right now? I'm doing backflips that we're 4-4 and showing signs of life, even if one of the early-season strategies (placing JO too far from the basket) is undermining our best player's effectiveness - rebounding, shot selection/ FG%, getting to the line, that type of stuff. You can look at JO's stat line and accuse him of "not hustling" or whatever. But its hard for a post player to "do his thing" when he's that far away from the basket.

    This is going to be a long, painful process, especially for our key players. Advocating that a vastly inferior bench player get more minutes - to the detriment of the long process of building first-unit chemistry and cohesiveness, is outlandishly short-sighted and counterproductive.

    The solution is not necessarily "play the bench more", or even "change the starting lineup" (although at some point a Marquis for SJax change might be warranted).

    Rome was not built in a day. Neither was Greenwood. And I'm not even sure if we're trying to build Rome or Greenwood with this team, anyway.

    If, at the All-Star break, our starters are still getting worked over this badly in terms of 5-man +/-, then we'll talk.

    I swear, I might need a four-month vacation from PD (but not the Pacers). This team is going to require a LOT of patience. And they're also going to have to admit it when they make missteps along the way (such as playing JO too far from the basket).

    But goodness gracious, P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  19. #119
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After sleeping on this whole brouhaha I'm fine with ending the 'JO as a Pacer' era.

    It's time to move on for both parties.

    -Bball
    My goodness, buddy,

    You've taken over-reacting to a new extreme.

    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  20. #120

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, there's obviously a reason coaches pick who starts and who doesn't.

    Our starting lineup right now is not competing well against other team's starters. We don't even need a five-man +/- to figure that out, its painfully obvious.

    Let's see, JO has missed a lot of games because of injury over the past two seasons, but he's still our best player so its worth the investment.

    Al has missed a bunch of Pacers games over the past two seasons, because he was playing somewhere else. But he's still our second-best player so its worth the investment.

    Danny is a second-year player and first year starter. There's still a long learning curve for Danny but its worth the investment.

    Tinsley is far and away our best guard, even with his defensive limitations, but he's missed a bunch of games with injury over the past two years. Worth the investment unless we make a blockbuster trade to upgrade that position.

    SJax is the only real "holdover" in the starting lineup, but he was brought here to be a sixth man and he's still learning how to not dominate the ball (which would actually be okay for him to do if he were playing with the second unit, but its not okay when he's playing with the starters).

    Does anybody in their right mind really think things would be better right now? I'm doing backflips that we're 4-4 and showing signs of life, even if one of the early-season strategies (placing JO too far from the basket) is undermining our best player's effectiveness - rebounding, shot selection/ FG%, getting to the line, that type of stuff. You can look at JO's stat line and accuse him of "not hustling" or whatever. But its hard for a post player to "do his thing" when he's that far away from the basket.

    This is going to be a long, painful process, especially for our key players. Advocating that a vastly inferior bench player get more minutes - to the detriment of the long process of building first-unit chemistry and cohesiveness, is outlandishly short-sighted and counterproductive.

    The solution is not necessarily "play the bench more", or even "change the starting lineup" (although at some point a Marquis for SJax change might be warranted).

    Rome was not built in a day. Neither was Greenwood. And I'm not even sure if we're trying to build Rome or Greenwood with this team, anyway.

    If, at the All-Star break, our starters are still getting worked over this badly in terms of 5-man +/-, then we'll talk.

    I swear, I might need a four-month vacation from PD (but not the Pacers). This team is going to require a LOT of patience. And they're also going to have to admit it when they make missteps along the way (such as playing JO too far from the basket).

    But goodness gracious, P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E.
    I realize that it needs time and so on and I hope our starters and others will play very well how I would like to see them, but as I see Saras or Foster are accused of bad performance, but not others who perform bad also and even much worse sometimes, I lost my patience and mentioned those +/-, which show that our main units aren't playing well, not talking about each players +/-. Those stats don't show us everything though, but it still means something imo.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."

    - Albert Einstein

  21. #121
    How u imawhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    B-town
    Posts
    4,999

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank you.

    JO is our franchise guy. We are so underappreciating him. I can't believe this. We have one of few dominant big men in the league and he can never seem to do right with some of you.

    I think Jermaine's brought this all onto himself rather than us underappreciating. He's made little effort this season to establish good offensive position or to use his strengths, which is strange after all the working out he did in the offseason.

    I think he'll always have issues because he's sensitive, and as long as he's the team leader they'll have to cater to his needs, which they have done quite excessively.

    I hope he does what he says, and works to get good position. It would make a crazy difference.

  22. #122
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    I guess I don't see Saras and Foster being accused of bad performance. Or at least, they don't deserve to be accused of bad performance.

    They aren't very good players. But they're not performing badly.

    Foster is the typical one-trick-pony. He's a hustle player, but he offers little in terms of offensive help. And while he offers defensive help, it comes with a price - he's a lousy post defender, forcing JO or someone else to do the dirty work. Many of the Foster critics (myself included) don't dislike Foster as much as we dislike what Foster does to JO. The solution isn't to get Foster more minutes, its to find the right way to use him in order to maximize his production. Rick's infatuation with Foster is greatly exaggerated around here - even when Foster started Rick kept a tight grip on his minutes, realizing that expanding Foster's minutes per game did not result in a better team performance. There's a bit of "calculus" invovled because there's a curve - to get the maximum performance without maximizing his minutes.

    Saras is interesting, he seems to have the uncanny ability this season to make a number of high-profile good and high-profile bad plays.

    Unfortunately for Saras, his fans (many of which came here before you) did him such a disservice by over-hyping what he's actually capable of doing and there's a still a lot of backlash. Does Saras deserve it? No. (Do some of his more-trolling fans deserve it? I don't know.) But there always seems to be a new wave of reinforcements coming in here to tell us that Saras is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and our coaches are too stupid to figure it out, and Indiana basketball fans are too stupid to figure it out. Or words to that effect. And the fact continues to be that Saras played his way to the third-string last year, and he seems to be about to fall behind Orien Greene (and Darrell Armstrong) in the rotation this year (which would be fourth-string, if my math is correct). Outside of hitting his shot better, he seems to be even worse at the basics of the PG position (and I've noticed that a large percentage of Saras' minutes have come at SG again, which is sure to infuriate his fans but he's just not an NBA-caliber PG.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  23. #123
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,497

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My goodness, buddy,

    You've taken over-reacting to a new extreme.

    The only heated discussion JO should've had following the Celtics game should've involved himself and a mirror.

    -Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  24. #124
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    The same applies for Rick Carlisle for the boneheaded gameplan that took JO away from the paint in the first place.

    EDIT - for all you know, Bird called them both into the office to yell at each of them for this mess.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  25. #125
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: JO, Carlisle and Bird have heated conversation after game in coaches office

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section19 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The same applies for Rick Carlisle for the boneheaded gameplan that took JO away from the paint in the first place.
    I'm with Bball on this one, as I usually am when it comes to JO.

    But here's the problem. Even when Jermaine goes down to the low post, he still plays as if he's a shooting guard. Jermaine is one of the least physical big-men out there when it comes to playing close to the basket. I will admit, defensively, he does a much better job of contesting and blocking shots which proves that he is not afraid of some contact. On the offensive end, however, he doesn't like people touching him or getting into his grill.

    When he gets the ball in the low post, we're going to see him do what he loves to do most. A couple bangs to feel out his defender - turn - fade away jump shot. Sure, he's playing closer to the basket...but it's not like he's doing much outside of jump shooting.

    It's not difficult to see why Jermaine wants to retreat back to the low-post. Based on statistics (which I believe JO over-values), he has been most successful in the slow-it-down, JO-ball. All of a sudden, his statistics aren't as good this year and it seems to me like he wants to go back to his comfort zone...a place where he felt most comfortable. What about the rest of the team?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •