Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,319

    Default Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    The Mrs. and I were in Chicago Saturday checking out the downtown shops. We go into a discount shop and stumble onto the ugliest jeans I have ever seen. Now I realize I'm not the most sophisticated person in the world, but a pair of jeans MARKED DOWN to $799 dollars. I guess the name means everything. The original sticker price and brand name......$2,700 dollars Dolce Gabbana.


    P.S. We didn't pick up a pair.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  2. #2

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    To pay that much money for a pair of jeans is BS imo. But if some people agree to pay and they need it, that's ok. The thing is worth as much as the customer is willing and can pay.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."

    - Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,062
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    I wipe my *** with $2,700 jeans. Afterall, at the price they better be multifunctional. They should be able to be worn, should be able to drive my car for me, should be able to clean my butt, and should be able to pleasure me until I cannot take it.



    BTW, that's ridiculous.

  4. #4
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    $2700 is ridiculous! Now $799, thats affordable......NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

  5. #5
    I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    RoboBoston
    Posts
    829

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    Gyron's wife liked the pair I had.
    Narf!

  6. #6
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    Think of it like cars.

    One car is a perfectly fine car. It sells for $20 K.

    Another car is "Off the Hizzy". It sells for $200K.

    Then there's that completely outgrageous car. It's a limited edition hand crafted italian sports car that every woman and most people in middle income brackets agree is both hideous looking and a grotesque way to spend your money. It costs $800K. Still you've got those car nuts and those really rich folks that think it's perfectly fine to spend that kind of money on a car.

    Now go to the Gap or Levi's and look at a perfectly acceptable pair of women's jeans. $80. Now go see the off the hizzy jeans. They're $800.

    Then there's that completely outrageous pair of jeans. It's a limited edition hand crafted pair of Italian designer jeans that every man and most people in middle income brackets agrees are hideous looking and a grotesque way to spend your money. They cost $3200. Still you've got those fashion nuts and those really rich folks that think it's perfectly fine to spend that kind of money on a pair of jeans.

    Then there is me. I'm both a car nut and a fashion nut and I can't wait for the day when I'm able to charge someone that kind of markup for something they don't really need and shouldn't be able to afford.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  7. #7
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,011
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    and now the fine JO got for his wristband seems a bit more sensible...

    or not.

    LA, I'm a guy that likes good fashion, but I have never, and maybe will never buy an 80 dollar pair of jeans. I'll cough of half that, but it better be for something special. And while this makes me look cheap, I'm known as a stylish guy. I'd say it makes me smart.

    I've driving around the second vehicle I've ever owned right now. This one, and the first--combined--don't cost as much as the initial price of those jeans.

    That's crazy.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  8. #8
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    I never said I would pay that kind of money for jeans.

    But I wouldn't think twice about charging that kind of money if I had the developed brand name, the showroom, the media approval and "quality" of product that would command that price.

    I'm just saying that high-end denim is like any other luxury item.

    They aren't any old jeans, just like an apartment overlooking Central Park is not just any old house.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  9. #9
    Member BoomBaby31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles (Marina del Rey)
    Posts
    1,958

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think of it like cars.

    One car is a perfectly fine car. It sells for $20 K.

    Another car is "Off the Hizzy". It sells for $200K.

    Then there's that completely outgrageous car. It's a limited edition hand crafted italian sports car that every woman and most people in middle income brackets agree is both hideous looking and a grotesque way to spend your money. It costs $800K. Still you've got those car nuts and those really rich folks that think it's perfectly fine to spend that kind of money on a car.

    Now go to the Gap or Levi's and look at a perfectly acceptable pair of women's jeans. $80. Now go see the off the hizzy jeans. They're $800.

    Then there's that completely outrageous pair of jeans. It's a limited edition hand crafted pair of Italian designer jeans that every man and most people in middle income brackets agrees are hideous looking and a grotesque way to spend your money. They cost $3200. Still you've got those fashion nuts and those really rich folks that think it's perfectly fine to spend that kind of money on a pair of jeans.

    Then there is me. I'm both a car nut and a fashion nut and I can't wait for the day when I'm able to charge someone that kind of markup for something they don't really need and shouldn't be able to afford.
    I wouldn't pay that much for a pair of jeans UNLESS they were absolutely "off the hizzy lol". That is probably the L.A in us though, everything is social status and the skies the limit with cars although I don't perfer to get to flashy, as you do start to look like "new money" lol. Now I will pay 50-$200 easy for a pair of jeans, most of my jeans run in the $100 range though. My most expensive pair/s are True Religion that have cost me 185-345. I don't just buy jeans because of the brand or the price; I have a pair of $40 Unionbay jeans that are my favorite but the material especially in the TR jeans fit really really nice. I do feel 800 is a little to pricey for a pair of jeans, I don't think D&G really think they are going to sell, just seeing if someone will actually buy them. I know exactly what pair this guy is writing about and they are hideous looking.

  10. #10
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    My clothing line sold a hooded sweatshirt or "hoodie" for $125 retail in spring/summer 06. People sometimes waive a p.o.s. sports themed hoodie from Walmart in our face like we're supposed to drop our price to 14.99.

    Here are a few reasons why we sold quite a few of them at $125:

    Premium materials (ultra-soft rayon stretch jersey that alone is $35 just to buy enough material to make just one hoodie).

    Unique, "fashion-forward" design that is unavailable anywhere else.

    Hand crafted.

    Boutique label.

    Proudly designed and made IN AMERICA BY AMERICANS.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  11. #11
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    Now whether D&G is worth the advertised 2700 I can't say, uuuh nope, wont say, however....

    Evisu, Armani, JPG all make jeans in that bracket that I would buy, could I afford it.

    Why? because they are exceptionally styled, the material used is "start" or "end" of "roll" (red-stripe usually) and trust me, there is so much difference in denim you would start to cry if you only knew the half of it, if it is Swiss made (or Italian) denim, bet you bottom dollar that the cloth alone os 10 times as expensive at least then the one used for your jeans.
    Finally, the "fit" of these kind of jeans is usually simply perfect.

    Fashion is a "funny" thing, like LA said, cars? you can also buy a Bugatti 800+ bhp sportscar for a few miles over 2 million dollars, do we blink or are we silently in the bracket that says " ****e, wish I could buy one of those" or like JO's Lambo.

    Why would you pay $ 5 K for a suit but not half for a pair of jeans that can be worn with anything, but still would not get you on to most golfcourses?

    The 800 tag is however probably closest to the store's buying price, so go back from there and production will be around $ 150 - $ 250 while a "normal" pair of jeans costs about $ 7.50 to produce
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  12. #12
    Member Kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Lafayette
    Age
    33
    Posts
    781

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fashion is a "funny" thing, like LA said, cars? you can also buy a Bugatti 800+ bhp sportscar for a few miles over 2 million dollars, do we blink or are we silently in the bracket that says " ****e, wish I could buy one of those" or like JO's Lambo.
    I, for one, have no desire for such things. The most expensive pair of jeans I bought were maybe $45. I generally try to find something in the $20-25 range. Last year I was happy to find a very nice pair of jeans for $15. They wore out pretty quickly, though, so I know there was some tradeoff for quality. I honestly can't see myself paying more than... $200 for jeans, no matter how rich I become. Cars? Okay, I don't drive at all, but if I did, I couldn't see spending more than $50,000.

    I want functionality and aesthetic pleasure. That's it. My eye for beauty is probably less discerning than some. If someone can appreciate the beauty of a $500 pair of jeans or a $100,000 car, so be it. But there comes a point when it stops being about pleasing yourself and it all becomes vanity, social status, "Look how awesome I am" crap. It becomes $2,700 jeans that look hideous. If you derive pleasure from one-upping your neighbors, co-workers and friends, then maybe it's "worth" it to you, but I just don't feel that way. And I think it's poor for your soul to derive satisfaction from having better things than others.
    Dean Winchester: It takes two to... you know, have hardcore sex.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    Psychologists say people who buy expensive things (cars, jeans) for "fashion" and to show their social status to others have many complexes and they try to hide and forget it this way.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."

    - Albert Einstein

  14. #14
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    The number of millionaires living/ shopping in Chicago means that you get some absurd prices on items that otherwise seem ordinary.

    Clearly, nobody that "works for a living" is going to buy those jeans.

    Sadly, somebody probably will pay $800 for them, when they could've bought a very stylish pair of jeans for $150 and given the difference ($650) to the Greater Chicago Food Depository, which, as one of the (generally) most effecient food charities around, could go a long, long way.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  15. #15
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    Interesting timing, I just heard from a friend of ours who just yesterday sold a one of a kind dress she made from italian denim for $6200.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  16. #16
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I, for one, have no desire for such things. The most expensive pair of jeans I bought were maybe $45. I generally try to find something in the $20-25 range. Last year I was happy to find a very nice pair of jeans for $15. They wore out pretty quickly, though, so I know there was some tradeoff for quality. I honestly can't see myself paying more than... $200 for jeans, no matter how rich I become. Cars? Okay, I don't drive at all, but if I did, I couldn't see spending more than $50,000.

    I want functionality and aesthetic pleasure. That's it. My eye for beauty is probably less discerning than some. If someone can appreciate the beauty of a $500 pair of jeans or a $100,000 car, so be it. But there comes a point when it stops being about pleasing yourself and it all becomes vanity, social status, "Look how awesome I am" crap. It becomes $2,700 jeans that look hideous. If you derive pleasure from one-upping your neighbors, co-workers and friends, then maybe it's "worth" it to you, but I just don't feel that way. And I think it's poor for your soul to derive satisfaction from having better things than others.
    That's pretty much how I feel about this as well.

  17. #17
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I, for one, have no desire for such things. The most expensive pair of jeans I bought were maybe $45. I generally try to find something in the $20-25 range. Last year I was happy to find a very nice pair of jeans for $15. They wore out pretty quickly, though, so I know there was some tradeoff for quality. I honestly can't see myself paying more than... $200 for jeans, no matter how rich I become. Cars? Okay, I don't drive at all, but if I did, I couldn't see spending more than $50,000.

    I want functionality and aesthetic pleasure. That's it. My eye for beauty is probably less discerning than some. If someone can appreciate the beauty of a $500 pair of jeans or a $100,000 car, so be it. But there comes a point when it stops being about pleasing yourself and it all becomes vanity, social status, "Look how awesome I am" crap. It becomes $2,700 jeans that look hideous. If you derive pleasure from one-upping your neighbors, co-workers and friends, then maybe it's "worth" it to you, but I just don't feel that way. And I think it's poor for your soul to derive satisfaction from having better things than others.
    If I look at the Bugatti, that as I said comes in at around 1.5 million dollar (us) it's not vanity when I think "awesome car, wouldn't I love to drive one of those" it's sheer admiration for the fastest sports car in the world(over 1,000 bhp), which is also an extremely eye pleasing experience.

    I still drool over and XJ220 and wish I had the money to buy me one of those.
    I do not really care for the Lambo's, they are "to pimpy" IMO.

    I've seen good days, when I flew to Italy to buy my clothes, wore designer shirts and jeans and shoes and underwear, dressed daily in Armani suits, alas......

    Yes in a sense I am vain, given the chance (read money) I would like to look my best, knowing that the suits I can now afford only look good when you try them on in a shop with the salesperson pulling on it, not after an 8 hour flight or 5 hour drive, or 12 hour meeting, the Armani & alike suits DO look fantastic even in that circumstance.

    Having 10 pair of shoes is a lot better then 1 or 2, they all live longer and look generally better due to the rest they get.

    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and looking good given many people self-confidence, if clothes can help you with that, so be it.

    No matter what people say, money makes a lot more possible then no money and in 99% of the cases expensive clothes are of a better quality and cut then the cheap ones, not to start on the material, if you only knew the difference in cottons alone you'd be staggering, or wool....

    Yes, unbleached, naturally washed cotton can be just as white, or coloured as bleached, but it does not harm the environment and traders get a far fairer price for their cotton, but it is only used by the expensive designers because cotton like that (for instance from Italy (read northern-africa) costs so much that you can make a 100 shirts of "cheap cotton" for 1 of those.

    A cotton Ralph Lauren shirt is a dress shirt that will always (until it falls apart after years) look astonishing, fit perfect and not wrinkle like mad.
    Made in Indonesia, the identical shirts come out of the same factory without the label and are sold in Italy for just a little less, the material and production make this a product with a small margin (relative to other items of clothing such as coats)

    You get what you pay for is not always the case, to many Eglish "designers" are branded as such by the major warehouses and frankly what most of them make is to cry over, yet certainly here a premium is paid.

    Weird world fashion but I do know one thing, designers are worth what they charge and "one off" items as LA describes above are just that, a ONE OFF, and a painting costs more then a poster, for a reason.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  18. #18
    Member Kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Lafayette
    Age
    33
    Posts
    781

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I look at the Bugatti, that as I said comes in at around 1.5 million dollar (us) it's not vanity when I think "awesome car, wouldn't I love to drive one of those" it's sheer admiration for the fastest sports car in the world(over 1,000 bhp), which is also an extremely eye pleasing experience.

    I still drool over and XJ220 and wish I had the money to buy me one of those.
    I do not really care for the Lambo's, they are "to pimpy" IMO.

    I've seen good days, when I flew to Italy to buy my clothes, wore designer shirts and jeans and shoes and underwear, dressed daily in Armani suits, alas......

    Yes in a sense I am vain, given the chance (read money) I would like to look my best, knowing that the suits I can now afford only look good when you try them on in a shop with the salesperson pulling on it, not after an 8 hour flight or 5 hour drive, or 12 hour meeting, the Armani & alike suits DO look fantastic even in that circumstance.

    Having 10 pair of shoes is a lot better then 1 or 2, they all live longer and look generally better due to the rest they get.

    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and looking good given many people self-confidence, if clothes can help you with that, so be it.

    No matter what people say, money makes a lot more possible then no money and in 99% of the cases expensive clothes are of a better quality and cut then the cheap ones, not to start on the material, if you only knew the difference in cottons alone you'd be staggering, or wool....

    Yes, unbleached, naturally washed cotton can be just as white, or coloured as bleached, but it does not harm the environment and traders get a far fairer price for their cotton, but it is only used by the expensive designers because cotton like that (for instance from Italy (read northern-africa) costs so much that you can make a 100 shirts of "cheap cotton" for 1 of those.

    A cotton Ralph Lauren shirt is a dress shirt that will always (until it falls apart after years) look astonishing, fit perfect and not wrinkle like mad.
    Made in Indonesia, the identical shirts come out of the same factory without the label and are sold in Italy for just a little less, the material and production make this a product with a small margin (relative to other items of clothing such as coats)

    You get what you pay for is not always the case, to many Eglish "designers" are branded as such by the major warehouses and frankly what most of them make is to cry over, yet certainly here a premium is paid.

    Weird world fashion but I do know one thing, designers are worth what they charge and "one off" items as LA describes above are just that, a ONE OFF, and a painting costs more then a poster, for a reason.
    Re-read what I said. I have nothing against someone who likes the "better things in life." If you genuinely appreciate more expensive clothing, cars, etc., go for it. What I disdain is buying something expensive because it's expensive. If you absolutely love a one of a kind item, then buy it. But don't buy it because no one else has anything like it and it makes you feel like you're special. That's a very poor use of your money.

    Basically, I think it comes down to, "What makes you happy and why?" If you buy a $5,000 suit because you love the look and feel of it and appreciate how long it will last, then that's a good thing. If you buy a $5,000 suit because "That's what rich people do" or to one-up others, then it's a bad thing. Simple as that. (I will make some allowance for business purposes, where you'd be looked down upon and possibly not taken seriously for wearing a cheap suit.) It's like people who don't even like art buying Van Gogh's because, well, they're Van Gogh's and that's impressive.

    You also need to understand that some people will never appreciate expensive things. I could learn to appreciate expensive clothes (some of the things you mentioned made me a little... ), but I will never appreciate expensive cars. Some people feel that way about fashion or art or any other vanity item you can think of. Neither side (your appreciation for high-end products or their appreciation for basic utility) is wrong. That's why the entire spectrum of cost/quality is made.
    Dean Winchester: It takes two to... you know, have hardcore sex.

  19. #19
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    Much of what you say is true, Kat.


    I have to admit that "classism" has always been a bigger problem for me than racism or any other "ism" for that matter.

    I grew up on the edge of the poverty line in Indianapolis. four (sometimes five) of us shared a 2 bedroom house. When I saw kids driving BMW's to Brebuff, I automatically thought of thier cars and clothes as "status symbols". It was far easier for me to claim that people with these objects were vain than to address why I was poor and could never afford those things.

    Now, 20+ years later, after attending art school and struggling in the big city and somehow making it out alive, the tables have turned. I mingle with the rich kid crowd that I hated so much growing up. And you know what? They just participate in the economy in an identical way that every other American does.

    They buy the "best" shampoo that they can afford.

    They buy the biggest TV they can afford.

    They eat out on special occasions.

    They respond to advertising and the desire behind commercialism just like everyone else to one degree or another.

    They are driven just like the rest of us by a desire to express thier individuality through thier purchases.

    At this stage in my life, I've come to realize that one person's $2700 jeans is another person's ipod, and no matter how rich you are, there's always going to be someone richer walking around with an object you wish you had for yourself.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  20. #20
    I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    RoboBoston
    Posts
    829

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    I grew up on the edge of the poverty line in Indianapolis. four (sometimes five) of us shared a 2 bedroom house. When I saw kids driving BMW's to Brebuff, I automatically thought of thier cars and clothes as "status symbols". It was far easier for me to claim that people with these objects were vain than to address why I was poor and could never afford those things.
    Some of Brebeuf grads worked two jobs during high school to pay our way through, thanks.

    Narf!

  21. #21
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Robobtowncolt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some of Brebeuf grads worked two jobs during high school to pay our way through, thanks.
    And the best man at my wedding was on an academic scholarship and otherwise couldn't afford to go there. I know all of this now, but when you're 13 things are different, and right or wrong, that's the perspective I was writing from.

    Sorry if you took offense.

    Also, if I had gone to your school maybe I wouldn't be such a terribul spellur.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  22. #22
    I consume tiny briefs Robobtowncolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    RoboBoston
    Posts
    829

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    Just giving you a hard time.

    Ask MagicRat about the ring I got there sometime. He loves that story.
    Narf!

  23. #23
    Member Kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Lafayette
    Age
    33
    Posts
    781

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I grew up on the edge of the poverty line in Indianapolis. four (sometimes five) of us shared a 2 bedroom house.
    Wow, I didn't realize four people in a two bedroom house was so horrifying!
    (I grew up in a 900-something square foot, two bedroom house in the inner city.)

    When I saw kids driving BMW's to Brebuff, I automatically thought of thier cars and clothes as "status symbols". It was far easier for me to claim that people with these objects were vain than to address why I was poor and could never afford those things.
    I get your last point, but quite frankly I think 16 year olds driving BMWs ARE inappropriate. Should they drive POS 1985 Hondas if they can afford better? Of course not. But there's a big difference between buying a newer, quality vehicle and a BMW. The only reason to have a BMW (especially when you're 16-18 and likely to destroy the car within a short time) is to show off your wealth.

    Now, 20+ years later, after attending art school and struggling in the big city and somehow making it out alive, the tables have turned. I mingle with the rich kid crowd that I hated so much growing up. And you know what? They just participate in the economy in an identical way that every other American does.

    They buy the "best" shampoo that they can afford.

    They buy the biggest TV they can afford.

    They eat out on special occasions.

    They respond to advertising and the desire behind commercialism just like everyone else to one degree or another.

    They are driven just like the rest of us by a desire to express thier individuality through thier purchases.

    At this stage in my life, I've come to realize that one person's $2700 jeans is another person's ipod, and no matter how rich you are, there's always going to be someone richer walking around with an object you wish you had for yourself.
    Now I just don't think you're getting what I'm saying. Not every American is driven by commercialism. Not everybody buys the best their money can buy. They don't all "express their individuality through their purchases." (Ugh, that makes me sick just to hear that.) And not everyone is jealous of what richer people have.

    I'm in fact working toward downgrading my lifestyle right now. I'm trading a $10/hr job for a $6.50/hr job because it'll make me much happier in the long run. I'm cutting my hours back to find more time for school, which makes me happier than almost anything. I'm moving back into the dorms because I disliked all the responsibilities that came with apartment living (commuting, grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, errands, etc.). I could've had a "better" lifestyle, but I'm choosing a happier one instead.

    Are there things I wish I had but can't afford? Sure. But there are also things I could afford but don't want. For example, I don't have a cell phone because I just don't have that much of a need for it (I barely make phone calls as it is). If I were rich, I wouldn't necessarily want the best my money could buy. Whether you're rich or poor, it's unhealthy to be driven by commercialism, to want "the best" (i.e., the most expensive) of everything simply because someone else deems it to be so. If it doesn't suit your needs or your tastes, you shouldn't buy it. THAT'S my point.
    Dean Winchester: It takes two to... you know, have hardcore sex.

  24. #24
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    Obviously, my post was insulting in a way i never intended it to be.

    I apologize.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  25. #25
    Member Kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Lafayette
    Age
    33
    Posts
    781

    Default Re: Chicago's $799 dollar jeans!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Obviously, my post was insulting in a way i never intended it to be.

    I apologize.
    I'm not offended.
    Dean Winchester: It takes two to... you know, have hardcore sex.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •