Thread: Pacers/Philly Preview

Default Pacers/Philly Preview

Pretty pedestrian, but it had this info, which I hadn't seen posted yet.

G Orien Greene, who is fourth on the depth chart, had the pins removed from the broken little finger on his left hand Friday. Greene will be out for at least two more weeks.
    Good to see he's progressing. There was also JO talking about Zeke:

Nov 5 -- Since Knicks coach Isiah Thomas had some success in his three seasons at Indiana, much of the pregame activity in New York centered around F Jermaine O'Neal's thoughts on his former coach. O'Neal came to Indiana after four unproductive seasons on Portland's bench and became an All-Star player. When asked about Thomas' impact on him and the Pacers, O'Neal said, "He allows you to be a player. He allows you to get better. I think he feels if you have the capability of doing a lot of different things whatever you do best, he's going to let you do. He's just not going to change you to be one way or the other. I liked him a lot. He's a player's coach. He's one of the all-time great players. He understands the game. He understands the game has changed. I liked that a lot about him."
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?...110711&prov=ap
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Default Re: Pacers/Philly Preview

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty pedestrian, but it had this info, which I hadn't seen posted yet.

Good to see he's progressing. There was also JO talking about Zeke:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?...110711&prov=ap
    Isaiah was a great player, but JO is being too kind. He is a poor coach and a horrible strategist. Thomas has destroyed most everything he has touched. First the CBA, then he was less than spectacular in Toronto. Now he is pouring millions down the drain in New York (what? 140M v an avg in the league of 65M?). If Donnie Walsh had that much money to spend, we would have 10 championships by now.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Isaiah was a great player, but JO is being too kind. He is a poor coach and a horrible strategist. Thomas has destroyed most everything he has touched. First the CBA, then he was less than spectacular in Toronto. Now he is pouring millions down the drain in New York (what? 140M v an avg in the league of 65M?). If Donnie Walsh had that much money to spend, we would have 10 championships by now.
    J.O never said he was good at any of those things he just said he is a good player's coach, which is probablly true

When asked about Thomas' impact on him and the Pacers, O'Neal said, "He allows you to be a player. He allows you to get better. I think he feels if you have the capability of doing a lot of different things whatever you do best, he's going to let you do. He's just not going to change you to be one way or the other. I liked him a lot. He's a player's coach.
    Translation: He's not much on discipline and doesn't have a strong stance or vision of what he wants on the court. He doesnb't havea a system like Nellie or Riles, or LB. He pretty much just lets us do what we want to do, so we like him.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Yesterday Frank Isola dubbed Isiah a "one man rivalry" due to all of the people around the league who disliked him. I got a good chuckle out of it.........
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

I continue to believe that Thomas could have done a good job here if he'd been dealt a different hand.

And I alway liked The Quick. I just wish we had tried running it more than once.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech View Post
    Translation: He's not much on discipline and doesn't have a strong stance or vision of what he wants on the court. He doesnb't havea a system like Nellie or Riles, or LB. He pretty much just lets us do what we want to do, so we like him.
    That's how it read to me as well.

I continue to believe that Thomas could have done a good job here if he'd been dealt a different hand.
    He had the same hand Rick had in the 61 win season, except he had Brad Miller and Reggie 1 year younger. Honestly I think his lack of discipline lost Ron and that's why Artest had that 4 month rampage of bad behavior to end Zeke's final year (camera, Riley, flagrant suspensions, all the stuff that earned him the bad rep before the brawl).

Say what you will about the brawl or Ron asking out the next year, but under Rick Ron's behavior on the court was drastically improved from where it had gotten under Isiah.

Greene
    I'm really excited about his return, even with the other 3 PGs playing well. So far Rick has run a lot of "small" lineups with double PGs and Daniels at the SF, so I think you could still see some PT from Greene thanks to his defense and ball handling. Plus I'd bet that RC would like to ease the load on DA as much as possible, and 5-10 for Greene would be a solid way to do that.

My question is how long before Powell suits up instead of Baston, and if Greene returns to the 12 man does Marshall go out or is it Baston (assuming Powell not in the 12 yet)?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

And I alway liked The Quick. I just wish we had tried running it more than once.

The arrogance of naming his own offense, which was a 24 second shot clock version of the motion that he ran at IU, funny stuff. I 'm surprised he didn't call it the "Zeke is god, look how smart I am" offense. Dude's poison, look at every single stop since his playing days. Only place he had reasonable sucess is here. I'll give him this, he has an good eye for talent and he must be able to sell himself and make people believe he's able to do things he has absolutely no business doing. If he could somehow become humble, understand humility, but his ego will never allow it. My prediction, out of basket ball this season, more legal troubles within 2 years and I mean like an altercation/arrest legal type trouble.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm upset that Powell hasn't gotten any minutes yet. I'd actually be interested in seeing a huge lineup of Greene or Armstrong/Marquis/Powell/O'Neal/Foster out there at some point. I think they'd rebound very well, they'd be a terror defensively. Obviously we might have some trouble scoring, but if Armstrong keeps knocking down threes that lineup would hold a lead very well.

Isaac, I think that lineup could be pretty effective on both ends. One thing that continues to impress me about DANIELS is his ability and understanding when it comes to getting to the inside.

I'm a big fan of Tins and I like Jack's baseline game a lot, but Daniels penetrates the ball off the dribble better than either of them. He doesn't get to the rim per se, but he finds his way into the 8' jumper or pressuring the defense to setup another player.

His game is extremely sound in the fundamentals. I like what he does for the Pacers a lot more than what AC did (and he did do some things very nicely).

Another positive sign I haven't mentioned yet but noticed for certain in the NY game - FOSTER IS BACK. He really had been hampered by injuries the last 2 years and it showed in some parts of his game. He often lacked the explosiveness, esp going up for dunks, and was off a step in quickness. Not constantly, but much more often than not.

But that 1st quarter transition throwdown by him was a perfect example of what I'm talking about. That leads me to believe that he can be a solid 10 ppg scorer with a team that attacks the rim and draws his man away.

All of this probably says one thing more than anything else - the team is extremely diverse in what it can do and how it can look. They can even go really big with David, Jeff/JO, Harrington, Granger at SG, Greene at PG.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Another positive sign I haven't mentioned yet but noticed for certain in the NY game - FOSTER IS BACK. He really had been hampered by injuries the last 2 years and it showed in some parts of his game. He often lacked the explosiveness, esp going up for dunks, and was off a step in quickness. Not constantly, but much more often than not.

But that 1st quarter transition throwdown by him was a perfect example of what I'm talking about. That leads me to believe that he can be a solid 10 ppg scorer with a team that attacks the rim and draws his man away.
    Foster did look good in NY. And I like his game when he's really active. But rather than FOSTER IS BACK, I think it's more about FOSTER'S BACK--as in a possesive, not a contraction.

I would like to believe that coming off the bench will help ease his continual back problems, but from what I've seen with back problems, he will tweak it again soon and it will be on-and-off trouble for a good while.

It's good to see that it's not bothering him in the early season. But it shouldn't be bothering him after 4-5 months off. Let's see how long that lasts before proclaiming him back for the long-term.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Foster did look good in NY. And I like his game when he's really active. But rather than FOSTER IS BACK, I think it's more about FOSTER'S BACK--as in a possesive, not a contraction.

I would like to believe that coming off the bench will help ease his continual back problems, but from what I've seen with back problems, he will tweak it again soon and it will be on-and-off trouble for a good while.

It's good to see that it's not bothering him in the early season. But it shouldn't be bothering him after 4-5 months off. Let's see how long that lasts before proclaiming him back for the long-term.
    Another strong game from him vs Orlando. Hard to believe it was only 8 total boards because he was everywhere at times. Classic Foster, great to watch. He may be a one-trick player, but he plays the snot out of that trick when he's this healthy (it appears).

He even picked up a strong blocked shot (became as TO instead of going back to the Magic), and that's not part of his normal game.

Foster was great again tonight.

He's so much easier to watch and apreciate for purely being active when we actually have the talent on the floor to counteract his other flaws.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

BTW Jay, I bolded that to agree and chuckle and then forgot to actually do it, just jumped into his Magic game. Might have come off like I was arguing it or something, I don't know.

I did it and even I found my post a little confusing on the "why did he quote that" tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    BTW Jay, I bolded that to agree and chuckle and then forgot to actually do it, just jumped into his Magic game. Might have come off like I was arguing it or something, I don't know.

I did it and even I found my post a little confusing on the "why did he quote that" tip.
    No problem...I'm always slightly confused anyway
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs